Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#821 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 9, 2012 7:29 pm

closg00 wrote:Mike Brown has been fired according to ESPN

IMO Charles Barkley (and media in general) and Kobe got a guy fired, but the offense wasn't the problem.

How can offense be the problem when a team is 13th in points scored, but only 19th in points allowed?

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/lal/ ... les-lakers

The main thing wrong with the Laker offense is Dwight Howard's free throw shooting.

Dwight Howard shoots .500 FT, and makes 6.5 of 13 FTs per game. If Howard could make 1.5 more points (go 8/13 each game) the Lakers would outscore their opponents and be top-10 offensively in points scored.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2384/dwight-howard

My opinion: The Lakers have older players who are not quick enough or energetic enough to guard the perimeter. Quick guards will get Howard in foul trouble. Howard will cower at the FT line at the end of games. The Lakers were better with Bynum and Matt Barnes. Nash can't guard anyone. Kobe's defense is tremendously overrated.

Mike Brown was not the (only) problem.

Barkley talked about the Princeton offense when Eddie Jordan was at Philadelphia. Kobe didn't want Brown any more. There are many reasons why the Lakers are 1-4, and I think the roster and Howard's FT shooting are the main things.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#822 » by FAH1223 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 7:29 pm

The Lakers problem is on defense and the Princeton doesn't fit their personnel though I think offensively they have been fine and Kobe is even playing really efficient with his shot selection and not forcing the issue. Their bench is also weaker defensively.

I wish the Wizards were like LAL in their pursuit for excellence. It'd be just amazing if the Wizards started 0-10 and Ernie was fired.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#823 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 9, 2012 7:38 pm

I was going to post something similar to CCJ and FAH. So far this season, Lakers rank 7th in offensive rating (points per 100 possessions). Their problem has been defense (they rank 25th).
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
RealGM

Post#824 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 9, 2012 7:49 pm

Nivek wrote:I was going to post something similar to CCJ and FAH. So far this season, Lakers rank 7th in offensive rating (points per 100 possessions). Their problem has been defense (they rank 25th).

Only you were going to say it very succinctly and without so much drama.

I hate to see so much ignorance, Nivek. Eddie Jordan's offense damn sure is NOT the problem.
Bye bye Beal.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#825 » by miller31time » Fri Nov 9, 2012 7:53 pm

Nivek wrote:I was going to post something similar to CCJ and FAH. So far this season, Lakers rank 7th in offensive rating (points per 100 possessions). Their problem has been defense (they rank 25th).

So they fire the defensive guru with years of tutelage under Gregg Popovich and put the leader of defensive ineptitude in his place.

Seems legit.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#826 » by AFM » Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:01 pm

Soup's Uncle wrote:Wow. After 5 games.What happes if Wittman goes 0-10?

Ted tells us "we are on the right rebuild track"
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#827 » by LyricalRico » Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:29 pm

Wow, now EJ is even getting other people fired.

:lol:

And as a bonus we get another Bernie Bickerstaff sighting! Man, this story really made my Friday.
RealGM

Post#828 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:37 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Wow, now EJ is even getting other people fired.

:lol:

And as a bonus we get another Bernie Bickerstaff sighting! Man, this story really made my Friday.

Barkey hated EJ's work in Philadelphia, but the Laker offense is 7th in the league (thanks Nivek). His reputation and a hater helped get him and Mike Brown fired, the same way hating Sam Cassell got Shelvin Mack waived.

Life isn't always fair. Guys like Ernie Grunfeld keep their jobs ...

The Lakers defense is far, far, far more the problem than the offense. Howard misses 6.5 FTs a game, but otherwise the Lakers would be one of the higher scoring teams in the league.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#829 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:05 am

From following the tweets from sports writers, it was the offense that got Brown fired.
RealGM

Post#830 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 am

I know the stated reason and popular belief is the offense was to blame. They fired the Princeton offense.

Regardless, the defense was in fact ranked considerably lower than the offense.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#831 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:34 am

Princeton looked to work

But with Nash he was out of place

They'll play a lot of pick and roll when he gets back
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#832 » by Nivek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Zach Lowe (I think it was Zach) pointed out that the Lakers had 3 bad offensive games and 2 good ones through their first 5. Still preposterous to fire Brown after 5 games. Makes no sense to empower him to bring in a coach (Eddie Jordan) to change their offensive system -- KNOWING from the outset that it's a challenging offense to learn and that it'll take some time for everyone to learn -- and then fire him so quickly.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
RealGM

Post#833 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:43 am

Magic Johnson and Laker fans have their wish. Phil Jackson is back as HC for the Lakers.

I think it is going to end up like Joe Gibbs' return to the Redskins. The man will no longer be seen as a savior, barring a trade to improve his personnel.
Bye bye Beal.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,668

Post#834 » by penbeast0 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:45 am

I hope Phil doesn't return . . . Nash isn't a triangle PG and anything short of a ring is a bad season for a Phil Jackson team with this much talent. Heck, I'm hoping for D'Antoni to the Lakers for the return of Showtime . . . of course, I'm not a Laker fan.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#835 » by mhd » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:37 am

I think Greg Monroe could be potentially available if the right price come about. Detroit looks even worse then we do and they don't have any injuries. If I were Detroit, I'd float Monroe and see what I could get provided the trading team take some combination of Stuckey/Prince/Charlie V.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#836 » by verbal8 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:50 am

mhd wrote:I think Greg Monroe could be potentially available if the right price come about. Detroit looks even worse then we do and they don't have any injuries. If I were Detroit, I'd float Monroe and see what I could get provided the trading team take some combination of Stuckey/Prince/Charlie V.

Are you saying in general or for the Wizards?

If the Wizards could somehow end up with a core of Wall, Beal, Monroe and Seraphin that would be great. However I think it probably costs Seraphin or Wall to get Monroe, which I think would be too steep.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#837 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:38 pm

^ Are Monroe and Drummond not meshing together? Until it's proven they can't play together, I'm not sure DET would try to move Monroe before guys like Stuckey and Prince, especially if they can get expirings for them.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#838 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Mike D'Antoni is the new Lakers HC
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#839 » by keynote » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:59 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Are Monroe and Drummond not meshing together? Until it's proven they can't play together, I'm not sure DET would try to move Monroe before guys like Stuckey and Prince, especially if they can get expirings for them.

This. DET may be high on Drummond's upside, but Monroe is as close to an untouchable as they have right now.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#840 » by pancakes3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Monroe is an absolute stud. I don't know if OkaRiza's expirings will be enough to get him.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards