ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#61 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Jul 5, 2012 4:11 pm

Oh, and CCJ - someone should try to light a match around Artest. After all, the Scarecrow was afraid of one thing.... fire!
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#62 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 5, 2012 6:59 pm

Houston really struck out this offseason. They weren't able to get enough assets for Howard, and they weren't able to unload Scola. Now they get only a mid-first for Kyle Lowry, and are stuck with a roster full of 3/4 types and no center or PG. They're so desperate to do something they are apparently offering Lin like $40M!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#63 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 7:15 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Houston really struck out this offseason. They weren't able to get enough assets for Howard, and they weren't able to unload Scola. Now they get only a mid-first for Kyle Lowry, and are stuck with a roster full of 3/4 types and no center or PG. They're so desperate to do something they are apparently offering Lin like $40M!

Perhaps they tried, but I didn't understand why Houston didn't try to balance their roster by flipping some of those forwards. In-fact, does Okafor for Scola and Shaun Livingston work? :D
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#64 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jul 5, 2012 7:17 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Houston really struck out this offseason. They weren't able to get enough assets for Howard, and they weren't able to unload Scola. Now they get only a mid-first for Kyle Lowry, and are stuck with a roster full of 3/4 types and no center or PG. They're so desperate to do something they are apparently offering Lin like $40M!

The 1st round pick that they receive for Lowry could end up being a high one if Toronto struggles, so we'll have to wait and see. Personally I liked what Houston did in the draft and at the very worst have put themselves in a position to acquire a top 10 pick in next year's draft.
closg00
RealGM

Post#65 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 7:30 pm

Kanyewest wrote:

The 1st round pick that they receive for Lowry could end up being a high one if Toronto struggles, so we'll have to wait and see. Personally I liked what Houston did in the draft and at the very worst have put themselves in a position to acquire a top 10 pick in next year's draft.

True, they have stocked-piled enough talent to make them players again next year or even by the trade deadline.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#66 » by miller31time » Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:03 pm

Knicks sign Kidd. While the guy is old and past his prime by a mile, he'll still be a veteran presence and a much-needed distributor who can put Melo and Amare in the best possible positions to score.

I love the move.

Also, poor Dallas.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,765

Post#67 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:09 pm

miller31time wrote:Knicks sign Kidd. While the guy is old and past his prime by a mile, he'll still be a veteran presence and a much-needed distributor who can put Melo and Amare in the best possible positions to score.

I love the move.

Also, poor Dallas.

BUT THEY HAVE CAP ROOM!
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#68 » by montestewart » Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
miller31time wrote:Knicks sign Kidd. While the guy is old and past his prime by a mile, he'll still be a veteran presence and a much-needed distributor who can put Melo and Amare in the best possible positions to score.

I love the move.

Also, poor Dallas.

BUT THEY HAVE CAP ROOM!

Yep. Better to have cap room with a young, ascending core than with a geriatric, declining core. The Mavs' cupboard is pretty bare. Maybe Blatche, Crawford and Singleton for Beaubois?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#69 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:30 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

I love the move.

Also, poor Dallas.

BUT THEY HAVE CAP ROOM!

+1

Mark Cuban knows as well as anyone that when you swim in the Shark Tank, you can get bitten. It could be a rough year in Dallas. I wonder what becomes of Dirk and his legacy.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM

Post#70 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:38 pm

The ship is sinking in Dallas, when are they going to stop the hemmoraging?
fishercob
RealGM

Post#71 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:39 pm

closg00 wrote:The ship is sinking in Dallas, when are they going to stop the hemmoraging?

Aldridge says they're looking at Randy FOye. Problem solved! Just ask Ernie -- he's versatile and can defend multiple positions.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Post#72 » by montestewart » Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:40 pm

^
Foye or EG?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#73 » by miller31time » Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:42 pm

montestewart wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

I love the move.

Also, poor Dallas.

BUT THEY HAVE CAP ROOM!

Yep. Better to have cap room with a young, ascending core than with a geriatric, declining core. The Mavs' cupboard is pretty bare.

Exactly.

The Wizards and Mavericks are two completely different situations. For Dallas, the point of creating the cap room was to lure Deron Williams (who many put in a Mavs uni halfway through last season). For the Wizards, it's not so much about signing that prized free agent as having the flexibility to make moves to better the team. My problem wasn't that we used our cap-space. It was WHO we used it on.
closg00
RealGM

Post#74 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 10:15 pm

Love Cuban's quote on the tap, gotta new sig.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#75 » by MF23 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 10:17 pm

I really like the Steve Nash signing. He helps them with just his shooting ability. Nash also helps their execution and with a coach like Mike Brown a coach on the court is needed. Defensively I don't think that's going to be a great unit.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
MF23
Veteran

Post#76 » by MF23 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 10:21 pm

I don't like any of the moves Colangelo has been making recently but the Lowry trade is nice. Their going to have to make a commitment to DeRozan soon
Et tu Bilas.
MD
MF23
Veteran

Post#77 » by MF23 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 10:40 pm

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/denver_nuggets_sending_javale_mcgee_to_workout_with_hakeem_olajuwon/11126366

When have the Wizards done something like this. Not that this is a phenomena but investing aggressively in player development is something the Wizards have not shown.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
fishercob
RealGM

Post#78 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:13 pm

MF23 wrote:http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/denver_nuggets_sending_javale_mcgee_to_workout_with_hakeem_olajuwon/11126366

When have the Wizards done something like this. Not that this is a phenomena but investing aggressively in player development is something the Wizards have not shown.

I look forward to reading about Hakeem's forthcoming drinking problem.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#79 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:20 pm

montestewart wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

I love the move.

Also, poor Dallas.

BUT THEY HAVE CAP ROOM!

Yep. Better to have cap room with a young, ascending core than with a geriatric, declining core. The Mavs' cupboard is pretty bare. Maybe Blatche, Crawford and Singleton for Beaubois?

Dallas' biggest asset IMO, besides Dirk, is they have Mark Cuban.

I didn't think Cuban would ever succeed due to his arguing with Stern back in the day. Yet, he found a way to put together a great team (with a little help for the Wizards, among other things) that won it all. Cuban's problem was that he lost Tyson Chandler prematurely to free agency. Haywood's deal ended up costing the Mavs big time. Otherwise, with Chandler the Mavs would have still been very competitive. Cuban put together a great team, but only for a season.

Looking at the Mavs now, I say one thing they did well was to draft Jae Crowder. Their other JC draft pick, Jared Cunningham is a guy who I didn't pay a lot of attention to pre-draft. Seeing video of him he looks like he can penetrate and might be a Mo Williams-type player. One player I really like for Dallas is Brandan Wright. Very underrated PF IMO. Rod Beaubois can score and so can Dominique Jones.

The Mavericks have a couple young who seem like they would be good trade candidates for the Wizards. Roddy Buckets can play. Vince Carter wouldn't' be the worse guy to play in front of Beal for one season, either. I would trade Chris Singleton, Shelvin Mack, or Jordan Crawford for Crowder and anyone who matches salaries.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,765

Post#80 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:55 pm

miller31time wrote:Yep. Better to have cap room with a young, ascending core than with a geriatric, declining core. The Mavs' cupboard is pretty bare.
Exactly.

The Wizards and Mavericks are two completely different situations. For Dallas, the point of creating the cap room was to lure Deron Williams (who many put in a Mavs uni halfway through last season). For the Wizards, it's not so much about signing that prized free agent as having the flexibility to make moves to better the team. My problem wasn't that we used our cap-space. It was WHO we used it on.

But everyone keeps saying we could have done better, but no one has yet to come out and say hey this is who we should have gotten instead.

Cuban, I agree with what he said int he last few hours, but he let Chandler go, Butler, Terry, all these guys for the pipe dream that was Deron Williams. Struck out on that, struck out on Dwight Howard, struck out on Steve Nash, struck out on Jason Kidd. The point I'm trying to make is you can sit in $30 million in cap space and do one of two things: a) continue to sit on it or b) overpay for mid-tier free agents.

Or option C, looking at the possibility of wasting Dirk's last few years rebuilding. This is the most likely option. I doubt Dallas makes the playoffs this year.

Look at Houston, who the hell knows what they're doing.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Wizards