Post#872 » by AFM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:39 am

Then the Wiz should hire Nivek.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#873 » by TGW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 am

tontoz wrote:The Grizzlies just hired Hollinger. Wow

LOL I don't see the point. I don't think Hollinger offers anything any other GM couldn't get from outside sources.

Hell, a subscription to ESPN insider is probably enough to pick Hollinger's brain.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#874 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:01 am

TGW wrote:

LOL I don't see the point. I don't think Hollinger offers anything any other GM couldn't get from outside sources.

Hell, a subscription to ESPN insider is probably enough to pick Hollinger's brain.

I wonder if he can scout, or is he is just a numbers guy? I would say it was a good move.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#875 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:54 am

AFM wrote:Then the Wiz should hire Nivek.

Maybe fishercob can represent Nivek and get him a little more cash than last time.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#876 » by tontoz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:57 am

TGW wrote:

I think you may be overrating GMs in general. Looking at the decisions i have seen from GMs over the years they don't seem to be generally tuned in to statistical analysis.

If you have ever tried to teach an old person how to use a computer you get the idea. I think it is a smart move on Memphis' part. Setting aside the merits (or lack thereof) of PER i think it is a safe bet Hollinger has a better grasp of stats than anyone on their payroll.

I would be ecstatic if the Wizards hired him. He rightfully panned the Okariza disaster. Didn't he coin the phrase "Grunfeldian ridiculousness"?
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#877 » by LyricalRico » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Kobe moving to SF so Meeks can start, and Metta apparently going to be the reserve PF. Of course we should have expected D'Antoni to go small at some point because that's what he does. But that doesn't bode well for the Howard/Gasol frontcourt. I still think their best chance is to find some way to trade for Amare.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#878 » by LyricalRico » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Actually, what about this deal:

Lakers trade: Gasol and Metta
Bulls trade: Boozer, Deng, and Robinson

Would Boozer fit in better with D'Antoni's offense? At least Deng would give them an athletic guy who can score/defend from the 3, and also play the 4 in small lineups. Nate helps their PG situation.

From CHI's perspective, they get out of the last year of Boozer's deal without having to use the amnesty provision and just eating the salary. They also may save enough money immediately to not pay the luxury tax this season, especially if they can buyout Metta at even a small discount (although Gasol's trade bonus might negate that savings). And then next year Gasol could give them the true post presence they need to complement Rose for a legit title run.

Thoughts?
closg00
RealGM

Post#879 » by closg00 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:23 pm

closg00 wrote:
nate33 wrote:The Rockets dumped Lowry, Dragic, Lee, Buddinger, Scola and Dalembert and added only Lin, Asik and a bunch of rookies. They are way too young and inexperienced to be all that effective this year.

I took that their salary dump into account. This is how they compare to us this year.

PG: Lin/Livington > Wall/Price until proven otherwise
SG: Martin/Lamb > Crawford/ Beal
SF: Parsons/Budinger > Ariza/Singleton
PF: Patterson/White <Nene/Booker
C: Asik/Donatas < Okafor/Seraphin

Houston's Bench > Washington bench and they have assests + cap-room to make moves. Houston won't fare well in the West, but they can be players again in next-years FA.

From earlier this summer ^ We both turned-out to be wrong.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#880 » by pancakes3 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:04 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Actually, what about this deal:

Lakers trade: Gasol and Metta
Bulls trade: Boozer, Deng, and Robinson

Would Boozer fit in better with D'Antoni's offense? At least Deng would give them an athletic guy who can score/defend from the 3, and also play the 4 in small lineups. Nate helps their PG situation.

From CHI's perspective, they get out of the last year of Boozer's deal without having to use the amnesty provision and just eating the salary. They also may save enough money immediately to not pay the luxury tax this season, especially if they can buyout Metta at even a small discount (although Gasol's trade bonus might negate that savings). And then next year Gasol could give them the true post presence they need to complement Rose for a legit title run.

Thoughts?

I think they'll miss Gasol more than they appreciate Deng. Plus Gasol may not be Kevin Love but he fits the D'Antoni run and gun better than Boozer.
Bullets -> Wizards
closg00
RealGM

Post#881 » by closg00 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:07 pm

So Kris Humphries gets the DNP nd Blatche gets 20 minutes yesterday, has he stolen a rotation spot?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#882 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:15 pm

montestewart wrote:

Maybe fishercob can represent Nivek and get him a little more cash than last time.

I'm all for those guys getting theirs and want some myself.

As it is I'm glad they are at least listening and taking good free advice. I love the Wizards and I don't mind giving it away for now. I know I am right and they're learning they can benefit from doing some things I have said. My haters can point to my missteps but it is mighty funny folks want DeMarcus Cousins on the team now. :)

I irritate myself with my arrogance, but if the Wizards were REALLY SMART they'd hire me.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#883 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
montestewart wrote:

As it is I'm glad they are at least listening and taking good free advice. I love the Wizards and I don't mind giving it away for now. I know I am right and they're learning they can benefit from doing some things I have said. My haters can point to my missteps but it is mighty funny folks want DeMarcus Cousins on the team now. :)

I irritate myself with my arrogance, but if the Wizards were REALLY SMART they'd hire me.

CCJ, don't break your hand patting yourself on the back. You weren't right about Cousins. If we redid the draft, nobody would take Cousins above Wall. People want Cousins on the team now because they smell blood in the water in Sacramento. Of course you try to get Cousins if you can get him for next to nothing.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#884 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Well tis the season so take Nate's advice in the spirit that it's intended. A number of posters on this board may be better than Ernie but that does not mean they'd be good in comparison to actual competent GM's. Everyone here has blemishes on their record and if they had their way, the team would have its fair share of Austin Rivers's, Al-Farouque Aminu's, Jodie Meeks's, James Anderson's, Justin Harpers's and BJ Mullens's.

It's just mean that we might have 6 or even 9 wins instead of 3.
Bullets -> Wizards
RealGM

Post#885 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm all for those guys getting theirs and want some myself.

CCJ, don't break your hand patting yourself on the back. You weren't right about Cousins. If we redid the draft, nobody would take Cousins above Wall. People want Cousins on the team now because they smell blood in the water in Sacramento. Of course you try to get Cousins if you can get him for next to nothing.

Okay, nate. My hand is fine, thanks. 8-) Two years ago I said Wall was overrated and you still think he is all that and a bag of chips.

People want the "crazy dude" (takes one to know one) because he can play. Blood in the water makes predators seek nutritious prey, not just any carrion. People are excited over the possibility of Cousins with Wall because they play well together. You can't have a good tennis doubles team if one player is huge liability.

Check out Cousins' head-to-head over his career vs Dwight Howard and also vs Andrew Bynum:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =bynuman01

Which played the most minutes between Bynum and Cousins, nate? Which player had the most rebounds and points?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =howardw01

How has Cousins' eFG% compare vs his usual when he faces the best C in basketball? Who gets to the line in this matchup, one of both players? Who has scored the most?

Still not convinced? Check out Cousins vs Al Jefferson.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =jeffeal01

Look at the points vs FGAs and FTAs. Then look at the rebounds.

One more: Cousins vs Al Horford … no, I'm tired of doing this when you're still going to disagree. :(

nate, Wall has a higher ceiling and he's show glimpses of superstar potential but Boogie Cousins seven days a week and twice on Sunday has played flat BETTER than John Wall. He led the entire freaking NBA in offensive rebounds as a 2nd-year player. He plays his best against the best. He is a menacing guy who at times plays very well. Wall has not been consistently great, either.

Comparing the two players, Cousins has a higher PER, WS, WS/48, DRtg than John Wall, nate. You say nobody would take Cousins over Wall but I think right now with Wall's knee potentially made of glass you are dead wrong on that account.

What I can say is I stand by what I said the day they were drafted. Cousins is a better basketball player than John Wall. That is my SUBJECTIVE opinion. I explained why above. As for you telling me I'm wrong I will say I told you, specifically that Gilbert was an injury risk that should not be resigned. I told you, specifically, that Nene had a history of injury preceding the Wizards acquiring him. Wall's knee hurt him when Flip was coach. He could turn out fine but I think he might not. Likewise, Cousins could snap. He's not easy to deal with.

I posted many alternatives I think the Wizards should pursue in lieu of trading for Cousins.

I think the best move is no move right now.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#886 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:34 pm

CCJ, you were right that Wall is overrated. He is not as good as expected. But it's disingenuous to use the current Cousins' situation as proof that you were correct in your belief that Cousins is better than Wall and would have been the better draft pick. Yes, people now want Cousins, but not because they agree with your assessment two years ago on draft night. Most still believe Wall to be the better prospect. People want Cousins because he is available for cheap.
RealGM

Post#887 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Honestly, nate, I think the current situation reduces Cousins' worth. I think he's better because of the way he plays Howard, Bynum, etc. DeMarcus is arguably the 6th best C after those guys, Chandler, Horford, and Marc Gasol.

I believe he's better than John but it isn't like I think he is considerably better than Wall. Also, Wall can become a far better talent when he adds a jump shot. nate, I'm not even looking at the current situations. I always have thought DeMarcus has old school game with meanness. I am biased toward his style over Wall's speedy approach. Both guys have talent.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#888 » by hands11 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:34 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
montestewart wrote:

I always took the position of looking to add him several years down the road after he blundered and learned on someone else dime. I just didn't want the Wizards to draft him. If he become something, I always figured the Wiz would have the inside trade on getting him because of Wall. Specially once he becomes a UFA. They they get him for no draft pick.
closg00
RealGM

Post#889 » by closg00 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Neil Olshey said the Portland Trail Blazers will likely be built through the draft and free agency, not trades.

Olshey identified the Blazers' core as LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum, Damian Lillard and Wesley Matthews.

“The players on our roster who are no-brainers,’’ Olshey said, referring to that core, “are not going anywhere.’’

Aldridge had been the subject of trade rumors earlier this season.

Olshey said the Blazers will not make a move unless it makes them a better team.

“Until you get enough phone calls for the message to get around the league that we are not breaking this up to rebuild, that we are building from where we are, (rumors) will probably still be out there,’’ Olshey said. “But clearly, trading a 27-year old All-Star like LaMarcus doesn’t get you better today.’’

Somebody is learning from other GM's screw-ups.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#890 » by Halcyon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Avery Johnson fired! Saw that one coming.

Return to Washington Wizards