Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#61 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:27 pm

rockymac52 wrote:http://www.thenbageek.com/articles/when-bad-is-an-upgrade

^ THIS.

Webster might not be that good, all things considered. But he's a hell of a lot better than Jordan Crawford. Not even close. It's another addition by subtraction move. And that's based on Webster's past seasons, where he's dealt with injuries and struggled as a young kid. So if he doesn't show any development as a basketball player this year for us, then oh well, we're still getting a fairly average player.

I think a fairly average player with a better than average 3 point shot is a good addition for the Wizards. It also means that Chris Singleton will have to improve to earn minutes.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#62 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm

I think it's a stretch to call Webster a fairly average NBA player. I'd love to see some stats to back up such a lofty assertion.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#63 » by dobrojim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:15 pm

lofty assertion? too funny.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#64 » by hands11 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:43 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... _blog.html

“The atmosphere, right when I landed,” Webster said, “It was incredible.”

Webster studied the Wizards’ roster and realized that with John Wall breaking down defenses off the dribble, and Nene commanding attention inside, he should get more than his share of quality looks from beyond the three-point line next season

A career 37.4 percent shooter from long distance, Webster connected on 41.7 percent of his three-point attempts just two seasons ago

Webster turns 26 in December but has played seven seasons in the NBA, allowing the Wizards to add another veteran to the team without getting markedly older.

I’m going in with my set of [skills] to really try to compete for that three position,” Webster said.

His last surgery was just before last season and forced him to miss the month, including Minnesota’s 93-72 victory over Washington at Verizon Center. But Webster said he is healthy and ready to help the Wizards end a four-season playoff drought.

“I feel fantastic. This is the best my body has felt in the past five years.

“The team has made moves to put this team possibly in that seventh or eight seed. For me, it’s all about getting to the playoffs and exceeding that, because I’ve only made it to the first round and I think we have a legitimate chance of making some noise.”

Interesting that he says he is going after the 3 position. That is the biggest question for the team. That position really is wide open and there is a long list of players trying to get minutes there. Clearly Beal is slotted for the 2 guard. Some people have questions about Crawford there but minutes at the 2 are clearly his to lose while players like Webster and Martin have to win those minutes. So if Crawford holds on, SF is Websters best chance to get minutes. But there you have Trevor A, Singleton, Martin and maybe Booker also looking to find minutes.

So while the Wizards may not have a true stud know quantity at SF, they will have plenty of competition. I assume Trevor A is going to get 20 minute there one way or another. So who gets the rest.

Looks like Webster is primarily competing with C Singleton there. I could see them using both depending on who they are playing against and what they need. Should be interesting to see how much better C Singleton is in year two. He shot .346 from 3 as a rookie which isn't bad. If he could get that up closer to .360 or .370 that would be good progress. So who among these SFs can slash to the hoop ? Is Webster their best option for that ? So Trevor A with Webster/Singleton . Its not an All Star line up but its could be functional. Its clearly better then last year.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#65 » by montestewart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:06 pm

dobrojim wrote:lofty assertion? too funny.

An assertion plump with fanciful presumptions bullying it to falsehood's precipice? Quite!

If a PER of 15 or a WS/48 of .100 is considered average, Webster has reached that exactly once (.105 in 2010). His career numbers look a little closer to an average non-starter. He does have one particular skill that (to me) the team desperately needs. Maybe he's not an average NBA player, but I can see him being a useful quality role player. If injuries aren't a factor, I have higher hopes for Webster successfully filling a need than I do for the addition of Price as backup PG.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#66 » by verbal8 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:41 pm

montestewart wrote:If a PER of 15 or a WS/48 of .100 is considered average, Webster has reached that exactly once (.105 in 2010). His career numbers look a little closer to an average non-starter. He does have one particular skill that (to me) the team desperately needs. Maybe he's not an average NBA player, but I can see him being a useful quality role player. If injuries aren't a factor, I have higher hopes for Webster successfully filling a need than I do for the addition of Price as backup PG.

I think average role player is pretty accurate for Webster he had an ORating of 105(which I think is around average). It seems most estimates are that is defense is average, but not elite. His usage was extremely low(13%) and has general been low(around 17%). The low usage seems to be the biggest thing dragging his PER down.

A player like Crawford looks solid in terms of PER, but that is because he is a superstar in terms of usage(28%) and only usage - well possibly also in his own mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#67 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:35 pm

montestewart wrote:
dobrojim wrote:lofty assertion? too funny.

An assertion plump with fanciful presumptions bullying it to falsehood's precipice? Quite!

:bowdown:
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#68 » by Jukeness » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 pm

All's I can say coming from a Wolves fan is good luck liking him becasue last year I sure as hell didnt. He's supposed to sink his open threes but definately didnt last year and besides that he basically cant do anything else, at times he played decent defense and at times he didnt, he's a payer who's almost incapable of scorng 20 points. So honestly I'm glad he's off the team I watch.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#69 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Jukeness wrote:All's I can say coming from a Wolves fan is good luck liking him becasue last year I sure as hell didnt. He's supposed to sink his open threes but definately didnt last year and besides that he basically cant do anything else, at times he played decent defense and at times he didnt, he's a payer who's almost incapable of scorng 20 points. So honestly I'm glad he's off the team I watch.

If we get the Martell Webster of last season, then my guess is that we will agree with your assessment. If we get the Martell Webster from 2 and 3 seasons ago, then we should be pretty happy with his production relative to his cost.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#70 » by Jukeness » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Those back problems he had might have kiled his career. I was excited to watch him play 2 years ago when the Wolves first got him and I actually liked him a little, but last year he wasnt the same and I wonder if he ever will be.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#71 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:46 pm

From a "risk" standpoint, which is the greater risk vs reward option for a team.

A. 37% 3-pt shooting Vet player with injury history for 1-year $1.6 million

B. 46% 3-pt shooting college player for $475,000 (Lamb/Thompson)

Scenario B could include Barton or Crowder who have a lower 3-pt shooting %.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#72 » by badinage » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:10 pm

You forgot Denmon ...

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

This season will be for S H I T and all because of Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

To the uninitiated, an English character actor with a plummy accent -- to the neurotic cognoscenti, the new Big 3!

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#73 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:16 pm

badinage wrote:You forgot Denmon ...

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

This season will be for S H I T and all because of Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

To the uninitiated, an English character actor with a plummy accent -- to the neurotic cognoscenti, the new Big 3!

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

Barton Crowder Denmon.

One could insert any of the available guards into the scenario, I picked Lamb/ Thompson because of their 3-point shooting. We signed Webster to be one of our floor-stretchers.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#74 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm convinced.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#75 » by montestewart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:30 pm

closg00 wrote:Barton Crowder Denmon.

To the uninitiated, an English character actor with a plummy accent

I loved him in Where's Whipplewhite?
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#76 » by truwizfan4evr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 pm

nate33 wrote:
Jukeness wrote:All's I can say coming from a Wolves fan is good luck liking him becasue last year I sure as hell didnt. He's supposed to sink his open threes but definately didnt last year and besides that he basically cant do anything else, at times he played decent defense and at times he didnt, he's a payer who's almost incapable of scorng 20 points. So honestly I'm glad he's off the team I watch.

If we get the Martell Webster of last season, then my guess is that we will agree with your assessment. If we get the Martell Webster from 2 and 3 seasons ago, then we should be pretty happy with his production relative to his cost.

what kind of impact you want him to have off the bench as far as his stats?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#77 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 am

Chances are you'll barely notice him after the novelty of a new body on the team wears off. Thats totally fine for a bottom of the rotation guy because it means he's not a travesty in his limited minutes, but also means if you're looking for him to steal a significant role...its just not going to happen.

He's one of those guys where you're not calling for his head because he's not a train wreck in his limited role, but then you also are pretty indifferent to him re-signing when his contract it up - leaning towards taking a chance on whatever random young name is out there for the potential. He's a reasonable backup, but won't make any difference at all in the win loss column. But again, if you accept him for what he is - a limited role backup - thats not necessarily a bad thing b/c it means a piece of your bench isn't costing you games.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#78 » by verbal8 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Chances are you'll barely notice him after the novelty of a new body on the team wears off. Thats totally fine for a bottom of the rotation guy because it means he's not a travesty in his limited minutes, but also means if you're looking for him to steal a significant role...its just not going to happen.

The SF position for the Wizards was so bad last year, that I think that would be an improvement. If Ariza plays in his prime form, it could end up pushing Webster to the end of the bench. I could also see Chris Singleton being a better version of Webster. Basically providing elite defense, more size and similar offensive production.

The things that matter this season for the Wizards being successful are:
Wall
Wall
Seraphin
Nene
Okafor
Beal
Vesley/Booker

If don't improve/produce, it won't matter what the SF position looks like. If they do make progress, then one of the 3 options should provide enough to not hold the team back too much.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#79 » by tontoz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:40 pm

This team is certainly stacked with scrub 3s. Sad thing is that Cartier might be the best 3 on the roster.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#80 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:12 pm

I think Ariza is the best but yeah it's not like he is that much better for how much more he is paid than everyone else.

Return to Washington Wizards