ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Sign Martell Webster

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#601 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:35 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Kind of like Blatche mistake leads to no Harden, leads to Webster, toss in a Maynor here and there and you have another mess... (and yes, the timeline isn't right, but you get the drift)

And, the mistakes they made picking young players led them to the "get veterans" strategy, because their experience with the youngsters led them to a mistake in diagnosing what went wrong. Specifically, they decided their error was because of age. The problems, however were maturity and work ethic. And talent.

Getting veterans is safer than drafting young guys because they're a known quantity. Even then, they went out and got Maynor.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#602 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:58 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:Waive him already

I wonder what could be negotiated with respect to a buyout. Word is that Martell Webster plans to retire after his contract is up. Maybe he is sick and tired of going through the constant back pain. If that's the case, can an agreement be struck now between Webster and management?

Right now, the Wizards owe Webster $5.6M next year, and $5.85M the year after. If Webster misses another 22 games, he'll be owed $5.6M next year and a $2.5M buyout the year after. The Wizards have control regarding those 22 games so they can ensure that he can be bought out for $2.5M simply by benching him. So effectively, they owe him $8.1M.

What if EG says to Webster: "Look Martell, you're done as an NBA player. You know it, and I know it. Why not take a modest pay cut from your future salary in exchange for not having to endure the grueling rigors of training? We owe you $8.1M over the next two years, but you're going to have to train for the next 14 months to get it. How about we just give you $6M right now and you walk away? You can go make rap videos or pursue a career in broadcasting."

The Wizards wouldn't actually cut him until another 22 games have taken place so that his official salary obligation drops from $11.46M to $8.1M. The Wizards then buy out his remaining $8.1M for $6M, which is a 26% reduction. As I understand it, his salary cap hit would drop a proportional 26%, so his cap hit would be $4.15M next year and $1.85M the following year.

Interesting. They'd need to know if there's a set way to figure how much would be allocated to the final year - considering it was dependent on something happening that won't happen because of the buyout. And to complicate matters, Webster's likely to ask for more than 8.1 mil, because his plan now likely is to earn that full 11.46 mil. Why wouldn't it - considering Wittman keeps playing him pretty much no matter how bad he plays.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#603 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:35 am

Ruzious wrote: And to complicate matters, Webster's likely to ask for more than 8.1 mil, because his plan now likely is to earn that full 11.46 mil. Why wouldn't it - considering Wittman keeps playing him pretty much no matter how bad he plays.

Webster has no leverage on that issue. The Wizards control how much he plays. If they're willing to not play him in order to save $4.2M, then that's what they'll do. There's nothing Webster can say or do about it.

So that's the starting point. They'll say: "Look, Martell. We're not going to play you for the next 22 games so the best you can possibly earn is $8.1M. Now, let's talk about whether you're willing to take less than that in order to walk away now and retire."
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#604 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote: And to complicate matters, Webster's likely to ask for more than 8.1 mil, because his plan now likely is to earn that full 11.46 mil. Why wouldn't it - considering Wittman keeps playing him pretty much no matter how bad he plays.

Webster has no leverage on that issue. The Wizards control how much he plays. If they're willing to not play him in order to save $4.2M, then that's what they'll do. There's nothing Webster can say or do about it.

So that's the starting point. They'll say: "Look, Martell. We're not going to play you for the next 22 games so the best you can possibly earn is $8.1M. Now, let's talk about whether you're willing to take less than that in order to walk away now and retire."

That's what you and I would do, but if the Wiz have a couple of injuries, I wouldn't assume they'd have the discipline to not play him. Either way, I don't see him settling for 6 mil.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#605 » by AFM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:49 pm

nate33 wrote:

I've been wondering why Martell has been getting Porter's minutes (besides last night since Pierce was injured).
I wonder if Randy told Martell, "i'll play you each game so you get that full salary, but I want 1M under the table"
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#606 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:28 am

wizfactor94 wrote:Image

More attempts by Ernie to clean-up after himself (Jarrett Jack referenced below)

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA
Follow
Re: reports that Nets could have flipped Jack to Wiz for a 1st: they'd have had to take on Webster, and "1st" was a pick swap, per sources.
11:43 AM - 4 Mar 2015

So the Wizards have been trying to trade Webster for 2-years, not even the enticement of our 1st round pick was enough to get a team to take Webster off of our hands this time. What a fricking film-flam con artist we have for a GM.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#607 » by TGW » Thu Jun 4, 2015 3:46 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Dat2U wrote:What I said about him two months ago remains true to me now...

He's okay, I'm happy for him, I hope he can snag a long term deal with someone else.

Last thing the Wizards should do is throw long term money at marginal guys. He's done well but if were re-signing Webster why not work on the extensions for Okafor & Ariza too? And while were at it, lets give Trevor Booker $20 million when he's a free agent.

Why not give Garrett Temple a 3 year deal on the cheap if were being so generous.

I don't think you can reward every player that plays less than terrible for us by keeping them long term.

We always regret these deals, I said the above back in January of 2013. At least we didn't give Booker $20 million.

Yep, you and a few other guys called this way back when the deal was orginally signed.

High risk, low reward, and they had several guys who could play the position. Grunfeld decided on rewarding someone based off of one half-decent year and got burned as usual.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
closg00
RealGM

Post#608 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Today's sad Washington Post article on Webster.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... h-wizards/
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#609 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:46 pm

closg00 wrote:Today's sad Washington Post article on Webster.

The one on Seraphin has some of the most egregious application of stats I've ever seen.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#610 » by hands11 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
closg00 wrote:Today's sad Washington Post article on Webster.

The one on Seraphin has some of the most egregious application of stats I've ever seen.

Which one did you view as the most egregious ?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#611 » by AFM » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:03 am

Dude this is the RealGM Wizboard, you should know by now that stats are only used to tear down a player.

With the exception of that one week period after we beat Toronto, this board is a cesspool of negativity
popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#612 » by popper » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:23 am

edit
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#613 » by Rafael122 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Sounds like the hip thing is going to keep him out awhile. This whole time I thought he was going to get some burn, especially with the injuries to our wings but he gets hurt and it's going to keep him out. Looking less likely his last year of his deal will become fully guaranteed which means he becomes trade bait IMO. I'd probably wait around the deadline, by that point most of his salary will probably be paid and he's only on the hook for $2.5 next season. That or stretch him out.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
closg00
RealGM

Post#614 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Sounds like the hip thing is going to keep him out awhile. This whole time I thought he was going to get some burn, especially with the injuries to our wings but he gets hurt and it's going to keep him out. Looking less likely his last year of his deal will become fully guaranteed which means he becomes trade bait IMO. I'd probably wait around the deadline, by that point most of his salary will probably be paid and he's only on the hook for $2.5 next season. That or stretch him out.

It feels like Webster has been on the team for 10 years.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#615 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Partially torn labrum in his hip. If he has surgery, out 4-6 months but J. Michael said he could be out for the entire year. No player would ever go for it, but I wish his contract was structured in a way where he could get a guaranteed deal for the first 2 years and have options the rest of the way. He's got 0 trade value, stretching him makes the most sense.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#616 » by nuposse04 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:35 pm

If he were to have season ending surgery, would we be granted a small injury exception to add another player on the roster? Sad to say but I feel like that would be beneficial to us. :/
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#617 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Partially torn labrum in his hip. If he has surgery, out 4-6 months but J. Michael said he could be out for the entire year. No player would ever go for it, but I wish his contract was structured in a way where he could get a guaranteed deal for the first 2 years and have options the rest of the way. He's got 0 trade value, stretching him makes the most sense.

It was my understanding that it made sense to wait until this summer to stretch him so that his 2016 contract is less. That way, we'd only be stretching the guaranteed portion ($2.5M) of his 2016 money, so effectively, we'd be paying him $5.8M, $0.83M, $0.83M, $0.83M over the next 4 years respectively.

If we stretch him now, we'd have to spread out the remaining $8.25M he is owed over the next 5 years. That would mean paying him $1.65M over each of the next 5 years. The end result is that his cap hit in 2016 would be $1.65M instead of $0.83M.

So the question is: is our need for an extra roster spot right now worth having to account for an extra $.82M in salary next year?

I'll have to dig through the CBA to see if his injury affords us any additional flexibility. I don't think it does. There's a long history of injured players with dead weight contracts weighing down teams for years.

Another option would be to sacrifice an asset in order to trade him to some other team who would then cut him and absorb the cap hit.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#618 » by keynote » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:24 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2015/10/28/martell-webster-has-a-partially-torn-labrum-in-his-right-hip/

He explained the conditioning troubles he experienced at practice Tuesday were expected because he was completely inactive in recent weeks, but the glasses are the most significant adjustment because he feels closer to the ground – essentially shorter – and his surroundings seem condensed, which is supposed to help his center of gravity.

“You almost feel like you’re in a whole different world when you put these glasses on,” Webster said.

That can't be good for a shooter.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
closg00
RealGM

Post#619 » by closg00 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Just pretend that Webster does not exist until he is off the team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#620 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:32 pm

keynote wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2015/10/28/martell-webster-has-a-partially-torn-labrum-in-his-right-hip/

He explained the conditioning troubles he experienced at practice Tuesday were expected because he was completely inactive in recent weeks, but the glasses are the most significant adjustment because he feels closer to the ground – essentially shorter – and his surroundings seem condensed, which is supposed to help his center of gravity.

“You almost feel like you’re in a whole different world when you put these glasses on,” Webster said.

That can't be good for a shooter.

That's one of the weirdest remedies I've ever heard of. He has a balance issue where he leans to his right so they fit him with glasses to confuse his perceptions.

You're right. That's got to be detrimental to his shooting ability.

Webster is done. It's a shame. He's a good guy, but his NBA career is finished.

Return to Washington Wizards