ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Sign Martell Webster

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#21 » by mohammed10 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:33 am

MF23 wrote:Like the signing. He fits in with this roster. When he had Roy and Aldridge to play off of he was stroking it. Wall and Nene are going to create some open looks. Webster is more dependable on offense than any of the projected bench players at the wing positions.

Agree. Signing a relatively young G/F (age: 25) on a vet minimum deal for one year fits us well. Especially when he can be an off the bench shooter that he appears capable of being...
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#22 » by miller31time » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 am

To reiterate what's already been said, I like the move. He's young, cheap and isn't going to be counted on to be a major contributor unless he surprises everyone and earns it.

He has the talent to be a factor on a team but unmet expectations and injuries have kept that in check. Maybe we'll be the team that changes him. Maybe we won't be. But for that price and that timeframe, it can't hurt to try.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVXnJDBtnI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-QkdBJCbwA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rDrpmgawm0[/youtube]
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#23 » by MJG » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:39 am

I honestly don't quite see the point. I mean, if Martin had gone elsewhere, I would have thought this was a decent enough attempt to replace his roster slot. But as is, it feels like we just have two similar players, both in skillset and overall quality of play, for our 12th man spot. It's just a cheap one year deal, so whatever, but I don't think this swings any needles.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#24 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:58 am

could he start for wizards if Beal had a slow year?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by miller31time » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 am

truwizfan4evr wrote:could he start for wizards if Beal had a slow year?

If Martell Webster is starting by the end of the season, then Beal (for all intents and purposes) is on the fast track to "bust" status.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:13 am

miller31time wrote:

If Martell Webster is starting by the end of the season, then Beal (for all intents and purposes) is on the fast track to "bust" status.

you consider a bust cause of a bad rookie season? What about Andrew bynum or Turner they had bad years and turn out fine.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by miller31time » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:40 am

truwizfan4evr wrote:
miller31time wrote:

you consider a bust cause of a bad rookie season? What about Andrew bynum or Turner they had bad years and turn out fine.

No, I said he's on the fast track to bust status. He'd have to play pretty poorly to be taken over by Martell Webster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 am

If Webster's healthy, he's a legitimately solid rotation player able to help at the 2 and 3, but given his back problems - it doesn't sound like a real good bet that he'll be healthy. But the Wiz worked him out - I'm assuming he looked like he was moving like a healthy player. Otherwise, they wouldn't have given him 1.6 mil. At least I'd hope that was the logic.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,323

Post#29 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:48 am

If Webster is healthy and plays like a slightly bigger, better shooting version of Cartier Martin, then I wouldn't be surprised if he took Singleton's spot as our backup SF. Heck he could even take Crawford's minutes and become a 25 mpg backup at both wing positions.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#30 » by fishercob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:06 pm

nate33 wrote:If Webster is healthy and plays like a slightly bigger, better shooting version of Cartier Martin, then I wouldn't be surprised if he took Singleton's spot as our backup SF. Heck he could even take Crawford's minutes and become a 25 mpg backup at both wing positions.

He fits the same theoretical need that Martin does. Hopefully the competition makes them both better. These guys should both have opportunities to shoot open 3's.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#31 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 pm

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:If Webster is healthy and plays like a slightly bigger, better shooting version of Cartier Martin, then I wouldn't be surprised if he took Singleton's spot as our backup SF. Heck he could even take Crawford's minutes and become a 25 mpg backup at both wing positions.

He fits the same theoretical need that Martin does. Hopefully the competition makes them both better. These guys should both have opportunities to shoot open 3's.

Yup. If both guys move ahead of Crawford on the depth chart, then suddenly, our team looks pretty well balanced. We'll have a dynamic, penetrate-at-will PG; wings who can shoot the ball, and bigs who play D, set picks, score in the post, and hit from midrange (well, except Vesely).

It would be nice to trade Crawford for a backup PG better than what we have on the team. Something like Crawford for Eric Gordon would be sweet.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#32 » by montestewart » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:14 pm

what's the roster at now? 14? 15? If Martin and Webster both show something such that they merit some regular minutes, a Crawford/Singleton/Mack or Price trade is calling, for a combo guard maybe.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Martell Webster is a player with a low basketball IQ wasn't the plan to get rid of players like him? Watching youtube videos and talking to Wolves fans they say he makes a lot of bone headed plays on the court.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#34 » by FAH1223 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:30 pm

low basketball IQ player, hopefully Singleton plays well
rl25g
Junior
And1: 30

Post#35 » by rl25g » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:43 pm

nate33 wrote: It would be nice to trade Crawford for a backup PG better than what we have on the team. Something like Crawford for Eric Gordon would be sweet.

I think you mean Eric Bledsoe. Not a terrible idea.

I actually wouldn't mind having Crawford backup the point if he can play under control.
If the Guard/Small Forward rotation was Wall/Beal/Crawford/Ariza/Webster it would give us the best talent on the court.

Crawford before could see minutes as the Backup PG/SG. With Price and now Webster, there is plenty viable competition to either push a controlled Jordan Crawford (like how he played when his ankle was sore) or boot Crawford to the bench.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#36 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:53 pm

MJG wrote:I honestly don't quite see the point. I mean, if Martin had gone elsewhere, I would have thought this was a decent enough attempt to replace his roster slot. But as is, it feels like we just have two similar players, both in skillset and overall quality of play, for our 12th man spot. It's just a cheap one year deal, so whatever, but I don't think this swings any needles.

Its more depth. Martin is not a lock and it adds competition.

I'm keeping an open mind about him. From what I can see he looked like a kind of immature player when he came into the league but listing to his interview, he seems like a good dude with some intelligence and a good personality. Maybe he just needed some time to grow up.

I think he adds another option as a spark plug scorer off the bench. Not a bad option to have on a team with so many young players at SG and SF. Looks like he can get hot from outside and he shoots with good balance.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#37 » by sfam » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:44 pm

I think this is a good signing. Webster, if his back is OK, becomes one more wing player we can go to either in the case of injuries, poor shooting or poor performance. It gives us much needed depth at the SF, so that if we aren't getting what we want out of Ariza or Singleton (I think Webster is now ahead of Singleton), we have another option.

The concern would be if he makes bonehead plays as a regular thing, than I'd hope we keep him on the bench. I just haven't watched him that closely to know. And again, the risk given the signing is small.

Thumbs up!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#38 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:56 pm

rl25g wrote:
nate33 wrote: It would be nice to trade Crawford for a backup PG better than what we have on the team. Something like Crawford for Eric Gordon would be sweet.

I think you mean Eric Bledsoe. Not a terrible idea.

I actually wouldn't mind having Crawford backup the point if he can play under control.
If the Guard/Small Forward rotation was Wall/Beal/Crawford/Ariza/Webster it would give us the best talent on the court.

Crawford before could see minutes as the Backup PG/SG. With Price and now Webster, there is plenty viable competition to either push a controlled Jordan Crawford (like how he played when his ankle was sore) or boot Crawford to the bench.

Yes. Eric Bledsoe.

I wonder what kind of value Crawford has. Is he absolutely worthless in a trade scenario, or is he considered a decent prospect because of his ability to put points on the board, albeit with poor efficiency?
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:01 pm

I wouldn't mind us getting either Toilver or Shawne Williams to fill the last roster spot that would be a good off season for wizards in my opinion.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#40 » by Nivek » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:02 pm

It's potentially an okay signing. As dat correctly points out, Webster wasn't all that good even when healthy. But, he has shown he can knock down open shots, which no one expected to be in the rotation has done in the NBA. This is the kind of move that makes sense for a team like the Wizards. Little risk; potential for some upside.

Of course, they could have done the same thing with a younger player for less money with their 2nd round pick... :D
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Washington Wizards