ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Sign Martell Webster

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#501 » by closg00 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:04 am

closg00 wrote:Thankfully our medical staff checked him out before we offered him the contract. The same staff that examined Josh Howard :(

:noway:
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#502 » by daSwami » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:39 pm

nate33 wrote:One other thing to remember:

The final year of Webster's contract is fully unguaranteed. It only becomes guaranteed if Webster plays a total of 180 games over the 3 preceding years. So far this season, Webster has played 57 games. If he sits out the next 10 games or so to get healthy, he'll be on pace for about 70 games this season. All it would take is one significant injury in either of the following 2 seasons and Webster can be cut a year early (in time for the 2016 sweepstakes).

Ultimately, EG handled the negotiation pretty well. If Webster stays healthy and plays well, we should have the ability to trade him before 2016 if we choose to go for max cap room in 2016. If Webster gets hurt a lot and misses games, we can cut him before the 2016 offseason.

Would that still apply if we used the injury exemption on him this season? If it does, then why not go ahead and do it? We'd get cap relief this year, and a contract off the books next. It would be sort of a dick move by the team though.
:banghead:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#503 » by nate33 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:51 pm

I don't think we can do the injury exemption unless independent league doctors rule that he is unfit to play for the remainder of his career. Clearly, that is not the case since he is due back in December.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#504 » by Nivek » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:15 pm

I love the "Webster was injured during a workout last week..." stuff when he was playing through a bad back most of the season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#505 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:25 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't think we can do the injury exemption unless independent league doctors rule that he is unfit to play for the remainder of his career. Clearly, that is not the case since he is due back in December.

Per J. Michael, Webster isn't just out 3-5 months. He cannot resume ANY basketball activity for 3-5 months. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play until 2015 or the All-Star break.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#506 » by rockymac52 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:14 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't think we can do the injury exemption unless independent league doctors rule that he is unfit to play for the remainder of his career. Clearly, that is not the case since he is due back in December.

Close, it's actually just that he can't return for the rest of the season. The Nets got a disable player exception on Brook Lopez this past season, as did the Pelicans with Ryan Anderson, off the top of my head.

I also think you only get 50% of the player's salary in the exception, so for Webster, it wouldn't really get us that much additional cap space.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#507 » by daSwami » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:47 pm

I thought it just if he couldn't play the whole season (not career). Sounds like he's going to miss at least a couple months of the season anyway.
:banghead:
fishercob
RealGM

Post#508 » by fishercob » Thu Nov 6, 2014 9:23 pm

Webster looked like such a find for $1.6M two season ago. I have to wonder now if he was available for that price because his medicals were such a red flag.

Nivek referenced Deshawn Stevenson -- who looked great at the minimum and then decidedly un-great after his extension.

Both guys are something to keep in mind while we enjoy the arrival of Garrett Temple. He looks great for the veteran minimum, but he's 28. Let's not rush to give him the MLE or anything silly.
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#509 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:03 pm

fishercob wrote:Webster looked like such a find for $1.6M two season ago. I have to wonder now if he was available for that price because his medicals were such a red flag.

Nivek referenced Deshawn Stevenson -- who looked great at the minimum and then decidedly un-great after his extension.

Both guys are something to keep in mind while we enjoy the arrival of Garrett Temple. He looks great for the veteran minimum, but he's 28. Let's not rush to give him the MLE or anything silly.

Pretty much every long-term re-signing of any player who's shown anything for EG has turned out badly or awfully or awfully badly - Michael Redd, Dan Gadzurich, Andray Blatche, Jamison, Arenas.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
fishercob
RealGM

Post#510 » by fishercob » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:
fishercob wrote:Webster looked like such a find for $1.6M two season ago. I have to wonder now if he was available for that price because his medicals were such a red flag.

Pretty much every long-term re-signing of any player who's shown anything for EG has turned out badly or awfully or awfully badly - Michael Redd, Dan Gadzurich, Andray Blatche, Jamison, Arenas.

Wow. Interesting and scary. It's like he gets so giddy and overjoyed that he unearthed some talent that he can't help but massively overvalue thhem.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1EyN9xTK94[/youtube]

Helen, Tommy Boy, and Ernie Grunfeld!
— Steve Martin
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#511 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Nov 7, 2014 2:52 am

What I like about this team is it's depth. We haven't even seen the full arsenal this team has with Beal and Webster out. Others like Humphries and Rice overcoming their minor setbacks and finding where they fit. Temple stepping up and becoming a legit rotation player. Blair working into his comfort level and waiting for his chance. Porter still figuring out what he can do, Seraphin still learning how to play, and even Pierce still adjusting to his new teammates. Even Gooden who was a late addition last season is searching for a role, and playing hard and seems to have been working on his shot to fill the need for a stretch 4.

Beal being out has given Temple a chance to show what he can do. I think Wittman is giving Seraphin the same chance to show and get some experience because he knows he can fall back on Blair who he knows what he'll get and can depend on him if Seraphin doesn't progress like he's hoping he might.

Gortat, Nene, Pierce, Beal, Wall is looking like a smart and well rounded front 5. Off the bench with Blair, Seraphin, Humphries, Gooden, Porter, Webster, Rice, Temple, Miller. That is depth that will get us through a long NBA season, help us overcome injuries throughout the year, enable our starters to rest when needed, gives us a team that can play hard, physical foul and not be concerned with fatigue and fouls, and just wear down opponents throughout the season and into the playoffs.

A smart, high IQ team, deep, physical with bangers and defenders, guys that know how to play and grind it out, can score, and won't back down or give up. That is the type of team we have this year. A great mix of vets and youth, and an old school style coach. I even really like the look of the team with the new blue alts and the new court! After years of the teal blue and Blatche and Nick Young. We got our colors back, and we got our team back here in DC! DC Rising !!!! This has the potential to really be a great and special year!! I hope we as fans and this city are quick to recognize and give this team some love and respect and enthusiastic support!!!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#512 » by Kanyewest » Fri Nov 7, 2014 5:04 am

Ruzious wrote:

OTOH you have Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, John Wall, and Garrett Temple.

I would disagree with the fact that Jamison was a bad contract since he was able to offload it for expirings and a pick. Then again, you forgot Etan Thomas.

EG didn't resign Michael Redd to the max- he was already in Washington- in probably one of EG's wiser moves in letting Larry Hughes walk.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#513 » by Kanyewest » Fri Nov 7, 2014 5:10 am

Stevenson did win a ring with the Mavericks though- did play a role in slowing down LeBron in the Finals- weird that Butler and Haywood were both injured and didn't help the Mavs.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#514 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:03 am

Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

OTOH you have Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, John Wall, and Garrett Temple.

I would disagree with the fact that Jamison was a bad contract since he was able to offload it for expirings and a pick. Then again, you forgot Etan Thomas.

EG didn't resign Michael Redd to the max- he was already in Washington- in probably one of EG's wiser moves in letting Larry Hughes walk.

And Nick.
And McGee... Making $11,250,000 in DEN to come off the bench

And Gil was Abe. And he dumped that contract for Lewis that turned into TA and Okafor.

Anyway. Hope to hear some good news about Martel soon. Its been to long without seeing Webby out there.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#515 » by Hidden Eye » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:47 pm

At this point he shouldn't be playing over Temple and don't expect him getting a lot of minutes this season unless Wittman wants him playing SF/taking Ottos minutes.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#516 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Hidden Eye wrote:At this point he shouldn't be playing over Temple and don't expect him getting a lot of minutes this season unless Wittman wants him playing SF/taking Ottos minutes.

It's a long season. Besides, Temple has come back down to Earth after a red hot start. In his last two games, he has averaged 3 points per 30 minutes, shooting 1 of 10 from the floor. It's probably a combination of regression to the mean and opponents scouting him and keeping him out of his comfort zone.

Also, Webster's presence should give Randy the flexibility to play Pierce at stretch four - at least during crunch time in critical offensive possessions.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#517 » by tontoz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Temple is still a break glass in case of emergency player. He can't score off the dribble. He is shooting only 27% inside the 3 point line.

A healthy Webster >> Temple
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#518 » by hands11 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:12 pm

tontoz wrote:Temple is still a break glass in case of emergency player. He can't score off the dribble. He is shooting only 27% inside the 3 point line.

Better because he does something very well, thats hit the 3.

Temple is a different players because he can defend 3 positions. Both can play 2 on offense. But a healthy Webby is a decent defender. Just not that great at guarding quicker 2s.

I like having both.

As for Temples regression. I think he has it in him to not regress to the mean and to carve out a niche that includes being an effective 3 pt shooter. Its important he bounces back tonight. Confident is a delicate thing. He can't let the shooting slump setting in. He needs to stay confident and let it fly. Hopefully the box score read, Temple 2-4 or 3-4 from 3 after this game. That would be huge for him and the team.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#519 » by TGW » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:21 pm

tontoz wrote:Temple is still a break glass in case of emergency player. He can't score off the dribble. He is shooting only 27% inside the 3 point line.

Neither would get minutes on a good team.

With Porter and Pierce, Webster and his bloated contract are not needed on this team anymore. Butler can have those minutes when Otto is playing poorly.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#520 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:27 pm

closg00 wrote:From a "risk" standpoint, which is the greater risk vs reward option for a team.

A. 37% 3-pt shooting Vet player with injury history for 1-year $1.6 million

B. 46% 3-pt shooting college player for $475,000 (Lamb/Thompson)

Scenario B could include Barton or Crowder who have a lower 3-pt shooting %.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5106/gamelog/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5068/

B.

Return to Washington Wizards