ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards Sign Martell Webster

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#41 » by mohammed10 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:30 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:I wouldn't mind us getting either Toilver or Shawne Williams to fill the last roster spot that would be a good off season for wizards in my opinion.

Prefer Tolliver over Williams (maturity issues, etc)...we don't need to stockpile low BBIQ players
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,154

Post#42 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:47 pm

What I want to know is, is he better than Jae Crowder or Will Barton?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#43 » by mohammed10 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:What I want to know is, is he better than Jae Crowder or Will Barton?

...waiting for CCJ to come and splooge all over that post
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,507

Post#44 » by closg00 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:What I want to know is, is he better than Jae Crowder or Will Barton?

You beat me. It is a relatively low-cost risk to sign Webster, but I would have taken Barton/Crowder or did what OKC did, sign one of the best college 3-pt shooters for 3-years for same amount of money Webster is getting for his 1-year deal. Hollis is making $473,000 this season.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#45 » by Nivek » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:14 pm

I'd rather have Crowder or Barton than Webster. Especially Crowder.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Nivek wrote:It's potentially an okay signing. As dat correctly points out, Webster wasn't all that good even when healthy. But, he has shown he can knock down open shots, which no one expected to be in the rotation has done in the NBA. This is the kind of move that makes sense for a team like the Wizards. Little risk; potential for some upside.

Of course, they could have done the same thing with a younger player for less money with their 2nd round pick... :D

But Webster adds experience, which, by definition, means maturity. :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#47 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:11 am

Seems like a good pickup for depth on a 1 yr deal. I would of preferred Pietrus. I would of preferred keeping Roger Mason. But hey this guy had potential at one point. He was a McDonald's All-American, and #6 pick out of high school. So we'll see what he can do, maybe he'll turn out to be a nice surprise. Honestly I don't know much about him. I know I've seen him play before, but I really don't remember.

Watching youtube clips, he seems athletic, has hops, has burst, good speed & strength, nice shot from distance. But looks awkward taking it to the hoop, not fluid, stiff looking layup, not a good handle, not a good passer. From the clips I've seen he reminds me of DeShawn Stevenson. From stuff I'm reading seems good character guy off court and in locker room, but not the smartest player on the court.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#48 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:26 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Seems like a good pickup for depth on a 1 yr deal. I would of preferred Pietrus. I would of preferred keeping Roger Mason. But hey this guy had potential at one point so we'll see what he can do, maybe he'll turn out to be a nice surprise. Honestly I don't know anything about him. I'm sure I've seen him play before, but I really don't remember.

Watching some youtube clips, he seems athletic, has hops, has burst, good speed & strength, nice shot from distance. Looks awkward taking it to the hoop, not fluid, stiff looking layup, not a good handle, not a good passer. As a player he reminds me of DeShawn Stevenson. From stuff I'm reading seems good character guy off court and in locker room, but not the smartest player on the court.

I thought I saw some DeShawn Stevenson in there but a much better looking balance on this shot. He also has some Ledell Eackles hurky jerky on some of the moves. He should be fine off the bench but I wouldn't be so quick to put him ahead of Crawford. We are just going to have to wait for preseason to happen to see what the guard rotation looks like.

So what did Mason get paid ?
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#49 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:57 am

In a sense, the Wizards have traded Blatche for Webster... both players drafted in the 2005 draft out of high school. Ernie essentially swapped the #49 pick in the draft for the #6 pick, albeit 7 yrs after the fact.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,969

Post#50 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:43 pm

montestewart wrote:
keynote wrote:A one year deal for a 25-year old that shot 42% from 3 two seasons ago? Not bad. Witt can give extra minutes whichever one of Ariza, Webster, or Singleton decides to bring their jumper that night.

Sorry Martin, you're obviously caught in a Booker-type situation.

James Singleton was not valued. Cartier Martin has been re-signed, but obviously only as a practice player. Ariza makes 8 or 9 times Cartier's two-year veteran minimum. Okafor's portion comes to about 16 times that same veteran minimum amount which James Singleton would have made.

On paper, Martell has shown he can hit the three in the past. Like most Wizard acquisitions of late, Webster is coming off of failure and injury with another squad. On the outs elsewhere? No worries. Washington will pick that guy up.

Maybe he can play well enough to help during the season.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#51 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:56 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:In a sense, the Wizards have traded Blatche for Webster... both players drafted in the 2005 draft out of high school. Ernie essentially swapped the #49 pick in the draft for the #6 pick, albeit 7 yrs after the fact.

On the positive side of looking at it, Webster was a #6 pick. Okafor was a #2 pick, and one with an NCAA championship past. Ariza won a championship with LAL.

Webster could be a busted up player. Or, maybe he'll hit outside shots as needed and also be a good mentor to young players. He had pretty good physical skills pre-injury,
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#52 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:05 am

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:If Webster is healthy and plays like a slightly bigger, better shooting version of Cartier Martin, then I wouldn't be surprised if he took Singleton's spot as our backup SF. Heck he could even take Crawford's minutes and become a 25 mpg backup at both wing positions.

He fits the same theoretical need that Martin does. Hopefully the competition makes them both better. These guys should both have opportunities to shoot open 3's.

I think Webster could even push Ariza's minutes if he hits threes.

It's not the worse move. Crawford definitely will feel his minutes restricted, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#53 » by hands11 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:54 am

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#54 » by montestewart » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:20 am

hands11 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8295262/2012-nba-player-rankings-321-340

Has anyone seen this.

No
RealGM

Post#55 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 am

hands11 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8295262/2012-nba-player-rankings-321-340

Has anyone seen this.

Player rankings probably belong in another thread.

I don't see the point or accuracy in this rankings FWIW.\

Of interest: Chris Singleton #340, with a ridiculous Andre Iguodala comparison; Mo Evans #374; AJ Price #384 and falling; James Singleton #432; Morris Almond #482; Eddy Curry 500 (last), and falling.
Bye bye Beal.
JRYCRL
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#56 » by JRYCRL » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:19 am

miller31time wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:could he start for wizards if Beal had a slow year?

If Martell Webster is starting by the end of the season, then Beal (for all intents and purposes) is on the fast track to "bust" status.

I think Webster starts at the 2 from day one. He's better than Beal at this point unless they are going to start Beal because of where he was drafted.
OffTheWall2
Junior
And1: 116

Post#57 » by OffTheWall2 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:27 am

I'd wager that they start Crawford.

I'm sure Wittman has all sorts of schemes on how to capitalize on that oh-so-typical April Wizards' success.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#58 » by MJG » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:42 am

Expectations and hopes for Webster are a bit out there for some, I think. Last year, the guy didn't belong on the court at all. And even if you think that was an aberration, and you go back to his career best year a few years back, he was more of an 8th man type.

Just because he's a recognizable name, that doesn't mean he's productive. If he's starting, the season is probably off the rails. Or even if he's just playing significant minutes as a backup, that means we have a glaring weakness at the swing position that we need to address.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,075

Post#59 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:13 pm

In a way, he's a low cost replacement for Nick Young. Like Young, he's long, athletic and has a low b-ball IQ. Like Young, he can hit spot-up 3's very well. The only difference is that he lacks Young's ability to create midrange shots off the dribble, but then, Young wasn't all that efficient from midrange so perhaps we're better off with Webster who probably won't even attempt those high degree of difficulty shots.
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#60 » by rockymac52 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:38 pm

http://www.thenbageek.com/articles/when ... an-upgrade

^ THIS.

Webster might not be that good, all things considered. But he's a hell of a lot better than Jordan Crawford. Not even close. It's another addition by subtraction move. And that's based on Webster's past seasons, where he's dealt with injuries and struggled as a young kid. So if he doesn't show any development as a basketball player this year for us, then oh well, we're still getting a fairly average player. But the key is that he's taking Crawford and Singleton's minutes. They hurt us when they're in the game. Webster won't. He might not HELP all that much, but he won't hurt us, and that's an upgrade.

Return to Washington Wizards