Wizards Sign Martell Webster

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#101 » by LyricalRico » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:11 pm

jivelikenice wrote:I want him to start but here's the problem. He's played well off the bench so Wittman won't want to affect his "comfort level" in that role or jettison Ariza to the bench. Coaches get in their own way more often than not. Martell clearly is in line for the starting spot based on performance thusfar. Let's see if Wittman is man enough to make the right move.

While I think that may be true of many coaches, I haven't seen anything from Witt to make me think he won't play/start the guys that deserve it. I'm not saying Webster will start in Game 1, but I think Witt will put him there if the guy in front of him doesn't perform.
REDardWIZskin
Senior
And1: 2

Post#102 » by REDardWIZskin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:14 pm

What about Webster as the Starting SG?

It would be a long athletic starting 5, and Beal and Crawford could provide scoring in the second unit. Just a thought.
Sit back and watch WALL WORK!! >:-)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#103 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:15 pm

One must also factor that Trevor Ariza has been an established starter for years. Right or wrong, veterans often mail it in during preseason. Webster and Martin are playing with a greater sense of urgency because they are fighting for a role on the team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#104 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:17 pm

REDardWIZskin wrote:What about Webster as the Starting SG?

It would be a long athletic starting 5, and Beal and Crawford could provide scoring in the second unit. Just a thought.

That's an option. If we did that, I would relegate Crawford to a 5th guard and rarely play him. Beal could be a 28 minute per game backup SG with Webster sliding over to SF to give Beal more minutes.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,846

Post#105 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Webster had one good game, so everyone is in love w/ him. If he played every night the way he played last night he'd be the #1 SF in the league. Ok, maybe #2. So you can assume that he won't play that way every night, on account of, no, he's not the #1-2 SF in the league.

On the other hand, he might at least be worth the $1.6m he's getting this season -- that would put him ahead of Pargo and Price, who aren't worth veteran minimum NBA salary. Value for dollar, it would put him ahead of Ariza as well -- even without considering Trevor's first 2 outings for us, which were pathetic.

Webster says his body is feeling better than it has in years, better than ever as a pro. He's had multiple back problems and, I believe, multiple back surgeries. Is he over these problems? Can one really get past them? Or will they flare up again? Seems like a roll of the dice, but who knows?

One thing is sure -- he has a future in broadcasting if he wants one! Every time he's on the air he's funny, magnetic, articulate, etc.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#106 » by dandridge 10 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:40 pm

payitforward wrote:Webster had one good game, so everyone is in love w/ him. If he played every night the way he played last night he'd be the #1 SF in the league. Ok, maybe #2. So you can assume that he won't play that way every night, on account of, no, he's not the #1-2 SF in the league.

On the other hand, he might at least be worth the $1.6m he's getting this season -- that would put him ahead of Pargo and Price, who aren't worth veteran minimum NBA salary. Value for dollar, it would put him ahead of Ariza as well -- even without considering Trevor's first 2 outings for us, which were pathetic.

Webster says his body is feeling better than it has in years, better than ever as a pro. He's had multiple back problems and, I believe, multiple back surgeries. Is he over these problems? Can one really get past them? Or will they flare up again? Seems like a roll of the dice, but who knows?

One thing is sure -- he has a future in broadcasting if he wants one! Every time he's on the air he's funny, magnetic, articulate, etc.

Agree with overall point that its too early yet to declare anything about Webster, but he has had 2 good preseason games, not one. Moreover, I liked what I saw in the open scrimmages.
REDardWIZskin
Senior
And1: 2

Post#107 » by REDardWIZskin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:42 pm

payitforward, It's funny that your debbie downing post was you 666th lol... We haven't had a lot to look forward to around here. Forgive us if management seems to have made a move that appears to have SOME early returns. No one is advocating signing him to a 4 yr 30 million dollar extension after only playing well in a spurt of games. It's not like Ernie has ever done that before
Sit back and watch WALL WORK!! >:-)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#108 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:50 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:Agree with overall point that its too early yet to declare anything about Webster, but he has had 2 good preseason games, not one. Moreover, I liked what I saw in the open scrimmages.

Webster's first game was very good, it's true. His game last night was off the charts outstanding.

Still, if he played every night the way he played in the first game, he'd be one of the top 3s in the game.

IOW, so far so good.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#109 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:53 pm

REDardWIZskin wrote:payitforward, It's funny that your debbie downing post was you 666th lol... We haven't had a lot to look forward to around here. Forgive us if management seems to have made a move that appears to have SOME early returns.

I wasn't "debbie downing" on Martell -- far from it. If I sounded that way, my bad. I'm delighted w/ the guy! May he flourish in our uniform! :)
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,290

Post#110 » by dobrojim » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Really liked what I've seen both at the scrimmage and last night vs Nix.

But my impression is that he is not long for a 3. Not undersized either, just not long.
He would indeed have excellent size for the 2.

fingers crossed he continues to enjoy good health.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,903

Post#111 » by DCZards » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:56 pm

payitforward wrote:On the other hand, he might at least be worth the $1.6m he's getting this season -- that would put him ahead of Pargo and Price, who aren't worth veteran minimum NBA salary. Value for dollar, it would put him ahead of Ariza as well -- even without considering Trevor's first 2 outings for us, which were pathetic.

It would also put Webster ahead of Landry Fields and his new, long-term $6.3 mil per year contract---and his 25.6% three-pt. shooting last year. :)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#112 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:50 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:On the other hand, he might at least be worth the $1.6m he's getting this season -- that would put him ahead of Pargo and Price, who aren't worth veteran minimum NBA salary. Value for dollar, it would put him ahead of Ariza as well -- even without considering Trevor's first 2 outings for us, which were pathetic.

It would also put Webster ahead of Landry Fields and his new, long-term $6.3 mil per year contract---and his 25.6% three-pt. shooting last year. :)

No, not really. Fields is well worth his money based on his first 2 years -- he makes $5m this year btw.

I suppose if what you mean is that if Webster turned out to play all year at the level he's played at in 50 preseason minutes, why then he'd be a phenomenal bargain -- moreso than Landry Fields or just about anyone you can name making some multiple of $1.6m. Yes, Zards, you'd be right.

OTOH, weren't you vociferously praising the acquisition of Ariza for 2 years (at about the same price Fields is getting for 3) only a few posts back? You're ready to draw conclusions about Webster off of 2 pre-season games, so I guess we do the same for Ariza?

You wouldn't be cherry-picking, would you? :)
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,903

Post#113 » by DCZards » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:14 pm

payitforward wrote:
OTOH, weren't you vociferously praising the acquisition of Ariza for 2 years (at about the same price Fields is getting for 3) only a few posts back? You're ready to draw conclusions about Webster off of 2 pre-season games, so I guess we do the same for Ariza?

You wouldn't be cherry-picking, would you? :)

Nope. Never "vociferously praised" the acquisition of Ariza. I just wasn't critical of the trade since I believe then, as I do now, that he and Okafor are experienced, hardworking, mature vets who can help our youngins develop and learn what it takes to win...and maybe even help the Zards make the playoffs. A couple of preseason games hasn't changed my opinion about that.

BTW, you keep talking about Field's "first two years." Do you realize how lousy Fields was last season? His rookie season was an abberation, particualrly after other teams figured out that his offensive game was very limited. (Good defender though.) There's a reason the Knicks didn't match the Raptors offer for Fields.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#114 » by LyricalRico » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:18 pm

+1, DCZards.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#115 » by nate33 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 pm

payitforward wrote:OTOH, weren't you vociferously praising the acquisition of Ariza for 2 years (at about the same price Fields is getting for 3) only a few posts back?

You can't overlook that we dumped $13.7M in Lewis' salary as part of the Ariza acquisition.

Okafor is earning roughly twice what Ariza is earning, so one way of looking at it is to credit about $9.1M of that Lewis savings to Okafor's contract, and $4.6M of the Lewis savings to Ariza's contract. In that light, Ariza is costing roughly $5.2M a year for 2 years.

Fields is costing $6.25M a year for 3 years. Which is the better deal? I'm not sure. I don't really like either one.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,149

Post#116 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Or you could look at Ariza as being filler in a transaction primarily aimed at acquiring Okafor.

Don't know if that makes it any better...
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#117 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:48 pm

If Webster have a breakout season do you think he can be apart of the wizards future?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#118 » by montestewart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:11 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:If Webster have a breakout season do you think he can be apart of the wizards future?

Sure, why not? But if he has a breakout season, he might attract offers that the Wizards would be unwise to match. But then again, this is the Wizards.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#119 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:OTOH, weren't you vociferously praising the acquisition of Ariza for 2 years (at about the same price Fields is getting for 3) only a few posts back?

You can't overlook that we dumped $13.7M in Lewis' salary as part of the Ariza acquisition.

Okafor is earning roughly twice what Ariza is earning, so one way of looking at it is to credit about $9.1M of that Lewis savings to Okafor's contract, and $4.6M of the Lewis savings to Ariza's contract. In that light, Ariza is costing roughly $5.2M a year for 2 years.

Fields is costing $6.25M a year for 3 years. Which is the better deal? I'm not sure. I don't really like either one.

Your kidding right ?

I tried that several times in the past. Where were you then ?

Another way to look at it I posted recently. Both cost no more then Gil does over the next two years and they got Lewis for two tank years. One of which brought them Beal. :D
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#120 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:If Webster have a breakout season do you think he can be apart of the wizards future?

I don't see why not. He is only 25.

Return to Washington Wizards