Wizards Sign Martell Webster

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#81 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:Chances are you'll barely notice him after the novelty of a new body on the team wears off. Thats totally fine for a bottom of the rotation guy because it means he's not a travesty in his limited minutes, but also means if you're looking for him to steal a significant role...its just not going to happen.

He's one of those guys where you're not calling for his head because he's not a train wreck in his limited role, but then you also are pretty indifferent to him re-signing when his contract it up - leaning towards taking a chance on whatever random young name is out there for the potential. He's a reasonable backup, but won't make any difference at all in the win loss column. But again, if you accept him for what he is - a limited role backup - thats not necessarily a bad thing b/c it means a piece of your bench isn't costing you games.

That's pretty much what we are looking for, a guy who is competent enough that we're not screaming at the TV in frustration every time he enters the game. If he's essentially invisible - meaning he does his job competently without bricking every shot, turning the ball over, or letting his counterpart light him up for 40 points, then we'd be happy. Even passable competence is an upgrade over what we had last year.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#82 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 1, 2012 1:59 pm

He might give you passable competence some nights, but other nights, oh boy. There were a couple games last year where I just face palmed. Wolves were down three with like 5 seconds left and no timeouts, and the other team had the ball. He stole the ball off a bad inbounds pass, drove it up court and instead of shooting the three, he drives in for the dunk, leaving the Wolves down 1 point and giving the other team the ball with like 1 second left. He really never had a put it together tease game, just one or two games where he couldn't miss.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#83 » by closg00 » Sat Sep 1, 2012 2:31 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRz0hfakFAw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#84 » by Mattya » Sat Sep 1, 2012 2:52 pm

closg00 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRz0hfakFAw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Thanks. I wasn't even that mad when it happened, I was laughing really hard though.

Ok I was a little mad.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#85 » by hands11 » Wed Oct 3, 2012 11:29 pm

I like this kid so far from what I see on the court and in interviews.
hands11
Banned User

Post#86 » by hands11 » Tue Oct 9, 2012 11:31 pm

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/1 ... ov-2242888

Maybe he has matured. Seems like a solid personality to me. I like how he played a leadership role and pulled the guys together in a huddle and how he was talking to Crawford.
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#87 » by rockymac52 » Tue Oct 9, 2012 11:45 pm

hands11 wrote:http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/10/09/109martellWEBmov-2242888

Maybe he has matured. Seems like a solid personality to me. I like how he played a leadership role and pulled the guys together in a huddle and how he was talking to Crawford.

The 30 second ads before every single video on the Wizards' site are KILLING me. So annoying/frustrating.

With that said, I like Webster. I liked him as a decent addition just from a skills standpoint, but I've been pleasantly surprised at his maturity and leadership thus far. Never heard of him as that type of player. Maybe he wasn't in the past, or maybe it just wasn't widely reported. Or maybe I was just out of the loop, but regardless, I like what I'm hearing. The locker room really seems to be a different place than it was in the past. Still, it's hard for me to get the images of Wizards past out of my head, and it will remain that way until the season begins and I see a better product on the court. Hopefully that happens this year. I can't wait.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,843

Post#88 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:29 am

hands11 wrote:I like this kid so far from what I see on the court and in interviews.

He seems like a great person, no doubt. We'll have to see as a player -- he hasn't been a good player in his first several years in the league.

He's perfectly fine at the $$ he makes.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User

Post#89 » by hands11 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:11 am

Well if this new personality leader is one quality, I like it.

Other things I have seen from him.

1) Looks like he has real nice form on his long ball catch and shoot. I'm projecting .385 to .400 from him this year.
2) He seems to be good at slashing and dunking.

If he brings those three things, at 6-7 230, he is a steal for the money. $1.6 25 year old 7 year vet.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/webster-i ... HTdklH6dHM

Webster also stepped up right away when short-handed Washington needed a boost in its preseason opener at Charlotte on Sunday. Scoring 14 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter -- tying rookie Bradley Beal for the team high -- Webster helped cut a double-digit lead to six

But Webster also has a case to make. At 25 years old, on many teams he would be pegged as a youngster. Instead, Webster is already a seven-year veteran, picked sixth overall by Portland

his most recent issues have been health-related, including a pair of back surgeries

"My body feels better than it has in five years," said Webster, who averaged a career-high 10.7 points with the Blazers in 2007-08 and played 82 games in 2009-10. "I can do the things I was able to do when I first got into the league. My explosiveness, my athleticism, I feel like it's back, and that's important. ... This is a legit chance to show what I can do."

--

Count me in as projecting him to be a pleasant surprise this year. I believe we will get the '07-'08 or 10-'11 type Martel with maturity. I'll take it.

What I like is there is better competition for the guard and small forward minutes. Aside from Beal who is projected to be the long term starter at SG, you have Webster,C Martin, Crawford, Trevor A, Singleton and maybe even some Booker.

If Webster and Martin can step it up, that would make Trevor A and Singleton better players since they won't have to force their offense. This may finally get them to a place where they can more easily move Crawford if he doesn't improve his efficiency.

I can't wait to see who steps it up this year. Improved assets will give them more options to mold the team moving forward via keepers, trades, packages to move up in the draft, etc.

Randy has his work cut out figuring out who to play, where and in what order.
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#90 » by rockymac52 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I agree with you on the Martell Webster optimism. I don't know what it is about him, but I just have a feeling he'll be a pleasant surprise.

I don't think he'll become a star or anything. But I do think he could become our primary backup at both SG and SF for the future. And I'm talking about someone who deserves that role, not just somebody who gets that role because there's nobody else worth a damn on the roster to take his minutes away (I'm looking at you, Jordan Crawford). I'm talking about a guy that could be a quality presence off the bench for a winning team. We'll see if he plays more SG or SF for us, but it will most likely depend on our personnel at any given time, I'd assume.

We'll see if he wants to stick around if he manages to have a decent year, because after all, he's only on a 1 year contract, so we don't have much of a say in that regard. But I get the feeling he likes it here, and that he's the type of guy who would resign with us if he manages to have a decent year. He seems loyal and thankful for the opportunity we gave him.

I think his defense will always be average to below average, but my fingers are crossed that he buys into the team defense concept with us, and he sees some marginal improvement on that end of the floor. More importantly, we know he's an offensive minded guy with a decent shot from deep, but I think he's going to prove to be even better on offense and from deep than we're expecting. The mechanics on his shot are so beautiful. I can't find a flaw with them. Although he's been a decent shooter from deep so far in his career, I'm amazed he hasn't been much better. I'm tempted to say he's just been handed a lot of bad luck (although he's been in the league long enough by now that it's hard to ignore the trend and just chalk it up to luck). I'm optimistic that his shot from deep really finds itself this season, in which case he could be lights out from 3 (which we obviously desperately need).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#91 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:33 pm

If Beal and Webster can each live up to their best-case scenario, then they'll be perfect fits on our roster as the starting SG and starting SF. Beal is the jack-of-all-trades SG who can shoot, create, rebound and defend. Webster is the prototypical 3&D SF who is long, athletic, and shoots 40% from 3.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#92 » by fishercob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:05 pm

nate33 wrote:If Beal and Webster can each live up to their best-case scenario, then they'll be perfect fits on our roster as the starting SG and starting SF. Beal is the jack-of-all-trades SG who can shoot, create, rebound and defend. Webster is the prototypical 3&D SF who is long, athletic, and shoots 40% from 3.

I don't remember where I saw it -- maybe Hollinger or some other respected hoops blogger -- but they mentioned that Webster has been a turnstile on defense.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#93 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 pm

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:If Beal and Webster can each live up to their best-case scenario, then they'll be perfect fits on our roster as the starting SG and starting SF. Beal is the jack-of-all-trades SG who can shoot, create, rebound and defend. Webster is the prototypical 3&D SF who is long, athletic, and shoots 40% from 3.

I don't remember where I saw it -- maybe Hollinger or some other respected hoops blogger -- but they mentioned that Webster has been a turnstile on defense.

Maybe so. I wonder how much of it was inexperience (in his first couple of years) and injuries? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#94 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:59 am

I like his game. I hope he starts at SF.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#95 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:54 am

Its not just his game for me, its he attitude. You can see it on his face. He has that tough focus fighter attitude.

vs

Trevor A. He has a look on his face like, please don't steal my milk money.

So far so good with Webster. He continues to impress me and I think he was a really good pick up.

Singleton is also showing progress and toughness. Right now I would have Trevor behind both.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#96 » by dandridge 10 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:05 am

Agree on Martell. I really like his game too. And, so far, contrary to what fishercob may have heard, he looks pretty darn good on defense too. Right now, the starting SF job is his to lose.
hands11
Banned User

Post#97 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:15 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Agree on Martell. I really like his game too. And, so far, contrary to what fishercob may have heard, he looks pretty darn good on defense too. Right now, the starting SF job is his to lose.

And the kid seems to be strong. 6-7 230 is a pretty sturdy frame.

And 10 rebounds in 27 mins. Really :o
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#98 » by montestewart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:22 am

I liked him stretching out his beard after he was fouled, seemed kind of macho psycho or something. Wizards could use a bad @$$, steady in his play, but just unpredictable enough to keep opponents wondering.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#99 » by dandridge 10 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:28 am

Just maybe this kid has struggled a bit the last couple of years because of his back injuries and he is just now healthy and showing what he can do...at least that is what I am hoping.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#100 » by jivelikenice » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm

I want him to start but here's the problem. He's played well off the bench so Wittman won't want to affect his "comfort level" in that role or jettison Ariza to the bench. Coaches get in their own way more often than not. Martell clearly is in line for the starting spot based on performance thusfar. Let's see if Wittman is man enough to make the right move.

Return to Washington Wizards