ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2012 Rookie Class

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Re: The 2012 Rookie Class 

Post#21 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Sheesh, the Cavs last two draft picks are looking awfully regrettable right about now.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#22 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Jones beasted last night, Lamb looked good also.
http://www.nba.com/games/20121010/OKCHOU/gameinfo.html
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#23 » by BruceO » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm

some posters are saying the reason barnes is being projected higher is because he's showing a post game which would be useful offensively and play into his strengths while hiding his weakness as a creator off the dribble. He does this plus becomes a good spot shooter at the three while playing defense and the kid will have solid utility. not a big waiters or thompson fan fwiw. also meh on jonas on most things other than his defense
closg00
RealGM

Post#24 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Perry Jones III scored 14 points in 30 minutes in Friday's 97-81 loss by the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Jazz.

Jones led the Thunder in scoring, making six of his 11 attempts while hitting twice from three.

Jones also defended multiple positions.

“That's his strength,” said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. “He is a versatile guy. He can score inside. He can score outside. He has a good feel for the game.”

Jones appears to be a great fit for the Thunder, as he can make an impact without being the center of the offense.

“He loves to do the little things,” Brooks said.

“To be honest, I don't know,” Jones said when asked where he sees himself fitting in. “We've got a lot of guys that can score. But if I'm ever open and my teammates give me the ball and feel like I can shoot the shot, I'm going to shoot it for them.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... z29C8uZPfs

OKC and Boston are thieves, Sully at 21 and Jones at 28. Man I wish we had packaged our two 2nd rounders to get one of these guys.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#25 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:12 pm

As a basketball fan, I'm happy for both players that they landed where they did.

Both will thrive there more then they would have here.

Hopefully over the next two years, the Wizard can establish themselves as a viable organization that I would feel the same way about.

I like Randy a lot as the HC. And now he has Wall, Beal and Nene to build around. I think he will stabilize the team this year and they will established their style and core roles.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#26 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:56 pm

closg00 wrote:
Perry Jones III scored 14 points in 30 minutes in Friday's 97-81 loss by the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Jazz.

Jones led the Thunder in scoring, making six of his 11 attempts while hitting twice from three.

Jones also defended multiple positions.

“That's his strength,” said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. “He is a versatile guy. He can score inside. He can score outside. He has a good feel for the game.”

Jones appears to be a great fit for the Thunder, as he can make an impact without being the center of the offense.

“He loves to do the little things,” Brooks said.

“To be honest, I don't know,” Jones said when asked where he sees himself fitting in. “We've got a lot of guys that can score. But if I'm ever open and my teammates give me the ball and feel like I can shoot the shot, I'm going to shoot it for them.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... z29C8uZPfs

OKC and Boston are thieves, Sully at 21 and Jones at 28. Man I wish we had packaged our two 2nd rounders to get one of these guys.

The Wizards got Vesely at 6. :o
The Wizards got Satoransky at 32. :-?

If Ernie were a school-aged kid, he would choose a plain, peanut butter sandwich with no jelly, over homemade lasagna with hot-buttered garlic toast.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM

Post#27 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks CCJ, I think u just gave me an idea for a new sig :D
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#28 » by payitforward » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:35 pm

closg00 wrote:OKC and Boston are thieves, Sully at 21 and Jones at 28. Man I wish we had packaged our two 2nd rounders to get one of these guys.

But we only had 1 pick in Rd 2, because the genius gave the other one away.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#29 » by DMVleGeND » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:47 am

Not watching the game tonight, but Andre Drummond has looked great so far (the guy I wanted us to draft). Through two quarters, he has 10 pts, 6 rebs, 2 blks. In their first game, he had 12 pts, 7 rebs, and 2 blks. He's doing a great job in his role. Obviously he's not getting the offense run through him, but he's being active, and playing good defense. Can't say anything definitive after 3 preseason games, but that DET frontcourt has the potential to be dominant.

EDIT: Drummond finishes w/ 19 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 assists, 9-13 FG in 25 minutes of play.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
closg00
RealGM

Post#30 » by closg00 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Detroit's future may be brighter-sooner with the Monroe/Drummond.
http://youtu.be/WkQg65PGqSo
RealGM

Post#31 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:52 pm

I was wrong about Drummond. Very wrong. He is much better in the NBA than I thought he would be. Who cares about his free throw shooting if he's that agile and has good hands for lob dunks? He's also grabbing boards at a better rate than I thought.

Along with Drummond, Harrison Barnes is way better than I thought. This draft I missed a lot. My guy Tyler Zeller looks a step slow, not that athletic. I thought he would beast. Nope, he won't, but he will be solid.

Rivers is doing about what I expected. Struggling mightily.

Our own Bradley Beal is better than I could have imagined. He is a beast!

Terrence Jones looks about like I expected. He should have been a lottery selection. He is a 18-20ppg scorer and a darned good defender, too. He's one of the top-5 rookies IMO.

Lillard has not been a surprise.

I think Waiters IS going to be an explosive scorer. He doesn't appear to fit with Irving, however. We'll see.

In general, I think this rookie class has a least a couple future HOF players and it has been a very strong class. Davis is the real deal, as expected.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#32 » by Nivek » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd like to give it to at least the end of preseason games before making final judgements on which rookies will be good.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
RealGM

Post#33 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Not me. Impromptu, extemporaneous, emotional thinking has got me this far. I will leave reasoned, balanced, scientifically sound, evidentiary-based thinking to people who are better at it. :D

People like you, Nivek.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#34 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Not me. Impromptu, extemporaneous, emotional thinking has got me this far. I will leave reasoned, balanced, scientifically sound, evidentiary-based thinking to people who are better at it. :D

People like you, Nivek.

I believe that impromptu, scientifically sound, evidentiary-based, emotional thinking that you make up as you go along is clearly the most useful. I wish Ernie did more of that kind of thinking. I wish I did too.

I have found that over time -- on whatever basis I made any analytic comment -- my thoughts get smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror. Soon I forget whatever it was I was so certain of. Except of course in the rare cases where I happen to have been right. All of those I remember. They prove that... something, I don't know what.

Please keep the above in mind at all times.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
RealGM

Post#35 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 pm

One thing I did say was drafting Machado should have been a no-brainer for the Wizards. Brazilian kid with the same agent as Nene. Led the nation in assists one year and closely trailed Kendall Marshall the next. Improved offensively his senior year. Played at a pace that would translate to the NBA game.

When I say the Wizards would rather pay (too much) for a known veteran and they do not judge emerging talent well this is EXACTLY what I mean. Had they drafted Machado they would have a better PG than Mack, Price, or Pargo. I even said I thought Machado could probably run an offense better than Wall at times.

I see the Wizards now in preseason, discovering that they haven't upgraded from Mack--or maybe they are seeing what they want to see. Pargo will start just like Okafor will start. Or Price, because they are veterans.

Not drafting Machado or passing on the opportunity to get Crowder or Barton at 32 are examples of not being able to project players. The last two have done NOTHING yet, but they will.

I am reminded of the Wizards trading for Mike Miller and Randy Foye in their last contract years while passing up the opportunity to draft Stephen Curry. Same type of mistake made by Ernie Grunfeld and supported by Ted Leonsis.

Hopefully, some of the veteran moves along with Brad Beal will make up for the mistakes.

I wish they had drafted Machado. Ted Leonsis can stop responding to emails and his people need to avoid this board, because I am fairly certain I could do better than Ernie Grunfeld. I don't even need a staff to do better than what he's done. He's very blessed to be Ted's friend. He's blessed that Ted wants something other than the best players, economically, and the best chance to win the most games in the future.
Bye bye Beal.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#36 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 pm

All appropriate caveats: It's still early, real games haven't started yet, etc. But I have a confession: I hate to feel this way, but I keep watching the box scores from the Kings, and frankly - I remain convinced that TRob is closer to a rotational player than a star. Last night, in a game where his team shot 55% and scored 117 points, he was 0-4 and held scoreless. He looks like a great rebounder and true hustle player. No shame in that, and I hope he has a long and lucrative career. But I don't see him becoming a scorer (at least not an efficient one), or more than a positional defender (length will be a challenge for him). Which means - unfortunately - he won't live up to expectations as a Top 5 pick.

But let me leave it with a positive note. I believe it just goes to show that we made the right choice with Beal. I'm very happy with what he's brought so far, and that's as the main focal point of the entire team. When they get to surround him with Wall, Nene, Okafor, and hopefully some more talent in the future, he should be an outstanding supporting player. Ginobili, Harden, Allen are some great analogs. I think he can get to that level, and prove to be well worth the selection. Now just want to see the team with everyone healthy!
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#37 » by dobrojim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:25 pm

What's the early word on your boy Sully?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#38 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Figured that would come up... ;-)

Well, first off - Sully at #21 looks to be a far better value that TRob at #5.

Counting two games in Europe (4 total games so far), he's averaging 12 & 7 in 23 minutes on 18/32 shooting (56%). So I'd say not too shabby, all things considered.

At the time, even I was cautious about his weight and his back, so I would not have taken him top 5, maybe top 10, but I was convinced he'd be a great value in the latter half of the 1st round.

[And FWIW, the two guys had roughly similar SL performances - good rebounding, atrocious shooting, so time will tell which has the bigger impact.]
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
payitforward
RealGM

Post#39 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Then there's Jae Crowder:

Crowder has now played 28 minutes in pre-season. In that time, he has logged 9 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 turnovers, and scored 22 points on 17 shots. He’s 4-7 shooting the 3.

Lets see, on a per 40 minute basis, that would be.... 31 pts and 12.7 rebounds.

No one in the league puts up that rich a mixture, so I'm not saying it'll continue. But, it does make Dallas look good for taking him.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#40 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Speaking of the Mavericks, Bernard James (taken one above Crowder) has only played 14 minutes so far, but word is he looks really terrific in practice.

In those 14 game minutes, he is 4-5, has 8 rebounds and a block.

James and Crowder were taken at #s 33 and 34. Right after....

Return to Washington Wizards