Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella 

Post#321 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2012 7:19 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
Dat2U wrote:A bigger concern to me is the pressure being thrust upon Wall. It seems like EG and especially Ted Leonsis have been complicit in putting this entire franchise on Wall's back. They've built a bridge of excuses that leads right up to Wall's weakened right knee. If Wall doesn't come out of the gate guns a blazing (and honestly I don't expect he will... rust plus the roster is a terrible fit for him), I wonder what excuse we'll hear next. A Ted's Take column calling out Wall?

Great post Dat... I think your spot on. At this point the expectations for Wall are insurmountable.

Wow, I had not read your post, GOG. We definitely agree.
Bye bye Beal.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#322 » by BruceO » Thu Dec 6, 2012 7:47 pm

lol rocky. gonna relieve past nightmare when he reads his post. i also agree that injury timetable was faked so fans would still buy tickets and not lose hope. by the time he comes back i wonder if it'll be too late. the third year is an important year. career numbers also will be affected by him skipping most of the year
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#323 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2012 7:54 pm

When (probably not if as far as I'm concerned) Wall has surgery that is going to cause the Wizards to give him a max contract next season, whether or not he deserves it. Wall won't play enough games to show improvement. The perception will be that he's a superstar in the making, or a star in the making. Washington will pony up to keep him.

This injury happened at a really bad time for evaluative purposes.
Bye bye Beal.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#324 » by jivelikenice » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:57 am

According to this article, some team insiders expect Wall back around Xmas...jives with what many have stated; that the initial timeline was too agressive. The pessimistic view is understandable given the history here, but I hunk they're approaching this the right way....
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#325 » by dangermouse » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:35 am

Got the link to the article mate?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,156

Post#326 » by AFM » Fri Dec 7, 2012 6:11 am

Gonna be a nice Xmas present. A little triple double and a 10 game win streak maybe??
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#327 » by jivelikenice » Fri Dec 7, 2012 6:42 am

dangermouse wrote:Got the link to the article mate?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

Sorry about that.....
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#328 » by Knighthonor » Fri Dec 7, 2012 7:43 am

Wait so what was the injury?
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#329 » by Earth2Ted » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah, my sense from John's body language is that he hasn't had any setbacks and they just fudged the original timetable a bit from 3-4 down to 2 months. He does not look like a guy that knows he's out for the year but just isn't allowed to tell anyone.

I'll bet Ted wishes this was the NHL where they just say, "lower body injury" or "upper body injury" and never have to disclose anything.

BTW, what exactly is the deal with Ovechkin's knee injuries over the years- he's clearly had some Gilbert Arenas severity career altering injuries that - let's be real here- have left him a shadow of his former MVP self.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#330 » by dangermouse » Fri Dec 7, 2012 12:16 pm

Grun DMC wrote:“We’d like to have more wins at this time, but we have to look at the big picture and see where we are,” Grunfeld said.“The players compete on a nightly basis and that’s what we wanted and they’ve faced adversity and they’ve responded. Down the road, this is going to help them. But going through the process is not easy for anybody.”

Now, are we sure this guy is a general manager, not a politician?

The amount of spin in that one quote would have a NASA astronaut vomiting in their own pants.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#331 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:23 pm

If Wall had actually gotten a stress fracture in his patella, wouldn't it have taken about the same amount of time to heal?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#332 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:54 pm

FWIW, John Wall and Sixers center Andrew Bynum have the same knee doctor, Dr. David W. Altchek. And while all knees are different, Altchek has, in the past, twice adjusted Bynum’s return date. From the Sixers website on Nov. 12 (h/t SLAM):

In mid-September 2012, Bynum suffered a bone bruise of his right knee. He was examined at that time by Dr. David W. Altchek of New York’s Hospital for Special Surgery, Bynum’s longtime personal doctor who is acting as the lead orthopedist in caring for Andrew’s knee. It was initially communicated to the Sixers that Bynum should refrain from basketball activity for a period of four weeks to allow the knee to heal. His knee was re-evaluated on October 22 by Dr. Altchek, who extended by an additional four weeks to November 19 the time for Andrew to refrain from basketball activity. Andrew received a fresh MRI and was seen again by Dr. Altchek this past week on Monday, November 5. At that evaluation, Dr. Altcheck extended Andrew’s return date for a second time by an additional three weeks.

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2012/12/dc- ... ntent=ESPN
kirubel94
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#333 » by kirubel94 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:06 am

I did some research:
This story has a very similar feel to what Blake Griffin went through his rookie season. Blake was diagnosed on October 27, 2009 with a stress fracture in his left patella and was first expected to miss only six weeks. Keep in mind that the Wizards have not even said there is a fracture in Wall's patella, they are saying It is just a stress, meaning Wall's has pain and discomfort in his knee and it could EVENTUALLY lead to a stress fracture. To continue on with the Blake Griffin story, it didn't well. To make a long story short, Blake didn't come back in originally projected 6 week time frame, heck, he didn't even come back in 12 weeks. On January 13th 2012, 12 weeks after Blake's injury, Blake was diagnosed with a broken knee cap(4-6 months) and had surgery on January the 20th. Well you all know the rest of the story, he came back the next year and stole J-Wall's rookie of the year. Now i am not saying this is what is happening to John Wall, maybe it is, maybe its not. Lets just wait and see after "2 weeks" if they will just make up another excuse.
hands11
Banned User

Post#334 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:15 am

kirubel94 wrote:I did some research:
This story has a very similar feel to what Blake Griffin went through his rookie season. Blake was diagnosed on October 27, 2009 with a stress fracture in his left patella and was first expected to miss only six weeks. Keep in mind that the Wizards have not even said there is a fracture in Wall's patella, they are saying It is just a stress, meaning Wall's has pain and discomfort in his knee and it could EVENTUALLY lead to a stress fracture. To continue on with the Blake Griffin story, it didn't well. To make a long story short, Blake didn't come back in originally projected 6 week time frame, heck, he didn't even come back in 12 weeks. On January 13th 2012, 12 weeks after Blake's injury, Blake was diagnosed with a broken knee cap(4-6 months) and had surgery on January the 20th. Well you all know the rest of the story, he came back the next year and stole J-Wall's rookie of the year. Now i am not saying this is what is happening to John Wall, maybe it is, maybe its not. Lets just wait and see after "2 weeks" if they will just make up another excuse.

Who is they ? The doctor he is seeing the one driving this.
kirubel94
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#335 » by kirubel94 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:23 am

hands11 wrote:
kirubel94 wrote:I did some research:

Who is they ? The doctor he is seeing the one driving this.

The Wizards, training staff, doctor?? Whoever is responsible for misdiagnosing(if the injury is misdiagnosed) the injury.
hands11
Banned User

Post#336 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:28 am

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#337 » by queridiculo » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:37 am

Would be just like the Wizards to mention a time table of 8 weeks, when the doctors initially said 8 to 12 weeks. Had to make sure those season ticket sold huh Teddie?
hands11
Banned User

Post#338 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:41 am

opps
hands11
Banned User

Post#339 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:42 am

opps