ImageImageImageImageImage

Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella 

Post#461 » by Nivek » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:14 pm

gesa2 wrote:Yep, I'm a family practice doc. I know some sports medicine but I'm far from an expert. A lot of times the evaluation and treatment of upper level athletes is very different than what I do with high school athletes and seekend warriors.

Your use of "seekend" was Freudian, perhaps?

;)
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#462 » by montestewart » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:51 pm

gesa2 wrote:Yep, I'm a family practice doc. I know some sports medicine but I'm far from an expert. A lot of times the evaluation and treatment of upper level athletes is very different than what I do with high school athletes and seekend warriors.

Well, I and most on this board are much, much farther from being experts. I appreciate your interpretations.

Seekend. To this Wizards madness?
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 250

Post#463 » by gesa2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm

If a freudian slip is an expression of subconscious desires, that was the opposite. Unfortunately, I've had to seek the end of my basketball playing days after matching achilles injuries to each side over the last 2 years.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#464 » by Upper Decker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Zonkerbl wrote: Booker is a good pickup for #23.

It seems to me the group think on this board is that Booker is a solid player and good value for the 23rd pick.

For a period of time I believed this to be true, however, he never plays and his windows of actually being a productive player have been small relative to the size of the season. I don't think he's really justified the pick/trade.

Rookie Year - He was rotten until the beginning of March, but was injured for the last 11 games of the season.

Second Year - Started off cold again, yet produced at a decent rate in Feb & early March, however, he missed 16 of the last 18 games.

Third Year - He's stunk or been injured.

His production has come mainly because he's been forced to start so some body gots to shoot, don't they? Booker is an averageish back up PF in the league and at his current rate I don't consider him a lock to be in the league beyond his rookie deal. There just isn't room for undersized, injury prone, inconsistent back up big men who aren't great rebounders or defenders in the league.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#465 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Upper Decker wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote: Booker is a good pickup for #23.

It seems to me the group think on this board is that Booker is a solid player and good value for the 23rd pick.

For a period of time I believed this to be true, however, he never plays and his windows of actually being a productive player have been small relative to the size of the season. I don't think he's really justified the pick/trade.

Rookie Year - He was rotten until the beginning of March, but was injured for the last 11 games of the season.

Second Year - Started off cold again, yet produced at a decent rate in Feb & early March, however, he missed 16 of the last 18 games.

Third Year - He's stunk or been injured.

His production has come mainly because he's been forced to start so some body gots to shoot, don't they? Booker is an averageish back up PF in the league and at his current rate I don't consider him a lock to be in the league beyond his rookie deal. There just isn't room for undersized, injury prone, inconsistent back up big men who aren't great rebounders or defenders in the league.

Very interesting. Unfortunately, you are wrong and Zonkerbl is correct. Booker had a very good rookie season and an even better 2d year.

Now, if what you mean is "he's not producing because he's injured; man that sucks." Why yes you are correct. And of course if he doesn't recover why then it was a wasted pick in the end -- ditto Wall, btw.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#466 » by JonathanJoseph » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:36 am

The nightmare scenario. A player with very little outside of athleticism taking a major blow to his athleticism.

I hope I'm wrong, but Wall's career will be closer to Kwame Brown and Pervis Ellison than not.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#467 » by dangermouse » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 am

As someone else said, the kneecap isnt going to hinder his athletecism once it is healed (and apparently, it is). Just take a look at Griffin who broke his.

The worry though is the cartlidge underneath. Fingers crossed the treatment works.

And as i said before, it isnt the leg he uses to jump with on his drives, so that could be a blessing too.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#468 » by dangermouse » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 am

Boy i wish he would get a nutritionist though. Bone injury and he is eating chips and fried food... BRO. He needs some leafy greens full of calcium and plenty of vitamin e. Especially if he is just sitting around playing videogames.

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#469 » by Dat2U » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm

dangermouse wrote:As someone else said, the kneecap isnt going to hinder his athletecism once it is healed (and apparently, it is). Just take a look at Griffin who broke his.

The worry though is the cartlidge underneath. Fingers crossed the treatment works.

And as i said before, it isnt the leg he uses to jump with on his drives, so that could be a blessing too.

This.

It's been bothering him since he was drafted. I remember an article where the Wizards where actually pushing Wall to play through the pain his rookie year because aches and pain where part of the game and the Wiz doctors thought it was just tendinitis (i believe).

This thread is depressing.

I suspect had Wall went to any other team, the league might be talking about him in a different light right now.

At this point, if he does come back and play, I suspect he'll eventually be shut down because the pain is too great.

Trading him may not even be an option unless he gets healthy.

This franchise is just a complete train wreck. And the future is about as bleak as any team in the league. From the "genius" of the front office , to the medical staff which has ruined many players careers, to the owner with an out-sized ego, the unwillingness to admit failure and an overriding desire to do things on the cheap.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#470 » by Illuminaire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Dat2U wrote:I suspect had Wall went to any other team, the league might be talking about him in a different light right.

At this point, if he does come back and play, I suspect he'll eventually be shut down because the pain is too great.

Trading him may not even be an option unless he gets healthy.

This franchise is just a complete train wreck. And the future is about as bleak as any team in the league. From the "genius" of the front office , to the medical staff which has ruined many players careers, to the owner with an out-sized ego, the unwillingness to admit failure and an overriding desire to do things on the cheap.

Here I'm with you 100%. How many times does the Wiz medical team have to miss-diagnose a knee injury before changes are made? Ten times? Twenty? Five hundred?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#471 » by dangermouse » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:08 am

Some time in January apparently.

This has been the longest 8 weeks ever.

Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#472 » by Halcyon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:17 am

% chance of this happening: He indeed comes back in January, plays 4 games, starts having pain in the knee again and sits out the rest of the year.
BarnabyJones
Sixth Man
And1: 292

Post#473 » by BarnabyJones » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:56 am

dangermouse wrote:This has been the longest 8 weeks ever.

Indeed. Late September - present.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”― Mark Twain
B-easy
Starter
And1: 489

Post#474 » by B-easy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:11 am

So he is going to miss about 30 games... not that bad considering some of you thought he was out for the season.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#475 » by montestewart » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:30 am

B-easy wrote:So he is going to miss about 30 games... not that bad considering some of you thought he was out for the season.

Whoa, hold it, where's this optimism coming from? You obviously aren't a Wizards fan or else you'd know:
1) No matter the source of this information about Wall's return, it's inherently unreliable
2) "January" means "late January," which means "after the all-star break," which means "out for the season"
3) Speaking of breaks, before he comes back or in the first game back, something will break
4) No matter how many games he misses, when he returns, it will appear as if he was rushed back

That is why many predicted Wall missing a season. We imagined what a prudent team would do with their future franchise-player hopeful if they had a competent medical staff and they weren't so desperate and cheap and stupid and clueless.
kirubel94
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#476 » by kirubel94 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 am

This is the most encouraging new we have heard regarding wall.

"My timetable is some time in January," Wall told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night. "The way I am feeling with no pain, working out and doing it three [days straight] and it has no pain, I'm feeling good. I feel like I am taking the right steps and I haven't had no pain the last couple of days after workouts."

Sitting courtside watching Cleveland's Kyrie Irving dominate Wednesday in an 87-84 Cavs victory reminded Wall how he used to be viewed as one of the league's promising young point guards. Wall says he feels forgotten as the Wizards (3-23), the league's worst team, struggle.

The drop began when Wall was one of the last picks selected for the 2012 Rising Stars Challenge, trailing Irving, Ricky Rubio and Jeremy Lin. Just a year earlier, Wall was MVP of the of the game after setting a record with 22 assists as a rookie. Irving, Rubio, Lin and Russell Westbrook are now mentioned in a discussion of promising young point guards over the sidelined Wall.

Wall averaged 16.3 points, eight assists and 4.5 rebounds last year in the lockout-shortened season.

A humbled and fired up Wall says he is more motivated for success upon his return than he was when his father died of cancer when he was 8.

"If you look at the list of the point guards of the future, I'm not up there," Wall said. "That gives more motivation to me when I get back to show the NBA what I really have to give to the league. They will respect me again. …

"Everybody will see. I won't do the talking. I will let my game do the talking."

I can't wait to see him back (if no setbacks), this team is nothing without him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--wizar ... 58931.html
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#477 » by DMVleGeND » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Halcyon wrote:% chance of this happening: He indeed comes back in January, plays 4 games, starts having pain in the knee again and sits out the rest of the year.

This is the worst case scenario, and sadly, what I think will happen, given this team's track record w/ health.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#478 » by sashae » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:55 pm

January, eh. Could be as soon as 2-3 weeks?
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#479 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:17 pm

sashae wrote:January, eh. Could be as soon as 2-3 weeks?

:D
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#480 » by Dark Faze » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:29 pm

ok when he comes back i can start watching games again

Return to Washington Wizards