ImageImageImageImageImage

Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella 

Post#501 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 1:07 pm

B-easy wrote:My biggest worry is if Wall hasn't improved at all. Lets hope he is ready to take the next step.

I'm not very worried about that. Besides, he really doesn't have to be all that much better then he was for the team to benefit.

He worked with Hoops over the summer on his shoot. Hopefully that translates.
He has put up a lot of shots so that should help.
He has watched a lot of basketball. Including his new teammates so he knows where they need it.
He has better players with him in total this year.

In a line up with Beal or Crawford, Trevor A, Nene and Okafor, it should be easier for him to be successful by mixing in his passing with his drives and fast breaks. Webster is going to benefit a lot since he is a good spot up corner three shooter and that is an area the team needs help. Should also help get more fast break shots for Beal which which should help him get more FTA. Transition will also help Ves get involved in the offense more.

Consider this for a moment. Here is what he has already done.

First year Wall shot .409 and .296 from 3 with 8 assists 5.7 FTA 16 pts
2nd year Wall shot .423 and .071 from 3 with 8 assists 6.1 FTA 16 pts

If all he does is .425 and .296 from 3 with 8 assists 6.1 FTA 16 pts the team will start winning more.

Consider how weak this team has been at PG this year.

So far their best PG (besides Crawford) was AJ Price .366 and .342 with 4.9 assists 0.9 FTA 8.5 pts

If you don't have a LeBron, Kobe level ball in hand player, no PG is going to kill a teams offense.

Just adding what he has already proven he can do would help a lot. Wall will help players get easier looks. He adds the FTA they are missing and those fouls will limit the other team by getting them in foul trouble. And Walls drowing fouls will get everyone more FTA because the other team will be in the penalty sooner. Also, he forces the other team to focus on getting back on defense more which zaps their energy. And because of what Wall does, the team won't have as many long scoring droughts which is one of the main things that has been killing them. Is Wall Magic Johnson? No.

But he is exactly what this team is missing which is a legit pro level starting PG that can draw fouls and pass. And he can start a play off a time out or in crunch time. Remember last year to Wall to Nene pick and roll to end the game for a win.

Their pace is currently 18th at 93.8. Last year with Wall they were 7th at 95.1
They are currently last in average pts scored at 88.7 Last year with they were 93.6

Adding Wall is going to help them score more and get more FTA which are two of their biggest problems. They are 11th in defensive eff. They are 6th in rebounding. They are 22nd in assists. Even without Wall the team is actually been passing better. Assist Ratio last year was 26th at 13.5. This year they are 24t at 16.1 That is going to go up more with Wall back.

I can't wait for them to get everyone healthy finally so we can see how these pieces actually look when put together. Its been a painful start to the year watching them without Wall and Nene and with so many support pieces missing. I still feel the same way I did before the season started. When healthy, I think this is a .500 or better team that will be fun to watch. They are just as good or maybe a step below MIL who are currently in 6th place. For a team that finished last year 2nd worst in the league. I think that would be a lot of improvement.

Now they have to get everyone out there and show this is true. I like their chances to do that and I think the team is hungry to prove it.

Will none of this add up and they end up still being bad. Maybe. But I can also see how it does work out and its not even a stretch. They really only need Wall to initially be what he has already proven he is. That said, I think he will be that plus more efficient. More then anything, first he has to fit in and make his teammates better which I think he can do. I think that will be his initial focus.

Should be really fun to finally get to see the complete team. Getting the key pieces out there is only the start. Then they have to learn to play together. Here's to hoping for the best. I hope it works out. Time to get back to where things were headed when they finished last season. Wall and Rose will be neck and neck for comeback player of the year.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#502 » by mohammed10 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:49 am

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#503 » by B-easy » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:50 am

Noice.

Edit: redundant comment.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#504 » by Knighthonor » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:49 am

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#505 » by Nivek » Sun Jan 6, 2013 12:52 pm

Sounds like Wall will be back in 2-3 weeks.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 359

Post#506 » by Benjammin » Sun Jan 6, 2013 1:00 pm

Nivek wrote:Sounds like Wall will be back in 2-3 weeks.

Well played, sir.
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#507 » by Earth2Ted » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:43 pm

Looks like Ric Bucher was on target again- after getting Nene's comeback right, he had Wall's comeback as New Year's best case, All Star Break worst case, and looks like it's falling right in the middle.

And this was right after Wall's trip to NY for his appointment with Altcheck back in December.

Now he just has to tell us when Cousins is coming to DC to suit up for the Wiz. :rock:
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#508 » by MikeTheKid » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:13 am

Chris Mannix and Dan Divine say 2 weeks, Id say 3 weeks max here we go!!!
hands11
Banned User

Post#509 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:38 am

After the Mon, Jan 7 game they have a nice break until Sat, Jan 12

Strange scheduling.

They will be able to get in a lot of practice during that 4 day break. How this goes will tell a lot about when he returns.

Then after the 12th they have a day off then a game on the 14th, then another day off before they head on the road for 5 games. First road game is against SAC on the 16th.

Could his return be that game ?

Heard during the game that Trevor A could have played today. I found that interesting. When is the last time you remember hearing that from the team? An injured player could return but they are waiting even longer then needed. I think they said he would play against OKC tomorrow.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#510 » by Knighthonor » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:54 am

hands11 wrote:After the Mon, Jan 7 game they have a nice break until Sat, Jan 12

Strange scheduling.

They will be able to get in a lot of practice during that 4 day break. How this goes will tell a lot about when he returns.

Then after the 12th they have a day off then a game on the 14th, then another day off before they head on the road for 5 games. First road game is against SAC on the 16th.

Heard during the game that Trevor A could have played today. I found that interesting. When is the last time you remember hearing that from the team? An injured played could return but they are waiting even longer then needed. I think they said he would play against OKC tomorrow.

yeah seem more and more like they trying to tank. But why would they be tanking this season?
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#511 » by Induveca » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:57 am

Knighthonor wrote:
hands11 wrote:After the Mon, Jan 7 game they have a nice break until Sat, Jan 12

Strange scheduling.

Heard during the game that Trevor A could have played today. I found that interesting. When is the last time you remember hearing that from the team? An injured played could return but they are waiting even longer then needed. I think they said he would play against OKC tomorrow.

yeah seem more and more like they trying to tank. But why would they be tanking this season?

They aren't "tanking". They are just this bad!

Every year the same drivel.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#512 » by nuposse04 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:52 pm

well we waived mack...is that a sign of Wall returning soon or rather AJ price?
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#513 » by MJG » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:07 pm

I think it's a sign that Mack is terrible.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#514 » by MikeTheKid » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:08 pm

nuposse04 wrote:well we waived mack...is that a sign of Wall returning soon or rather AJ price?

I put it in the Mack is Back thread but I think its both
hands11
Banned User

Post#515 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:42 am

MikeTheKid wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:well we waived mack...is that a sign of Wall returning soon or rather AJ price?

I put it in the Mack is Back thread but I think its both

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... lvin-mack/

Players who remain under contract through 5 p.m. will have their salary on the books for the remainder of the season. Temple survived, after replacing Mack as the starter and adding a bigger, more versatile player who could defend multiple positions.

With Price practicing and Temple showing he adds something to the roster, it was a forgone conclusion Mack was the odd man out. We saw that the second game after Mack returned with Temple got the start.

I think that leaves them at 14 so they have a slot open if they want to add someone.

Maybe Cook. They would use a big who has range.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#516 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:58 pm

Wall is expected to play Saturday.

Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#517 » by Jay81 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:23 pm

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#518 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:37 pm

^^ehh, He'll play light minutes for a couple weeks and that weight will slid off. When your in great shape and immediately stop activity(and have a poor/average diet) you can pack on some pounds quickly because your basal metabolic rate still make you hungry as all hell. But when you return to activity it drops off extremely fast.
RT31
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#519 » by RT31 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:56 pm

Jay81 wrote:wall is fat..(latest pic)

https://twitter.com/iBheatherP/status/2 ... 00/photo/1

yeah, during the game, they showed a clip of him at shoot around before the OKC game...had his shirt off, working on his jump shot. the first thing i said was...he's fat!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#520 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:10 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Wall is expected to play Saturday.

:D

Return to Washington Wizards