Predict the Wizards record in 2012-2013

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Re: Predict the Wizards record in 2012-2013 

Post#61 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:50 pm

So what you're saying is people should ignore you because you tend to have three page long arguments resulting primarily from your inability to understand what other people said?

Good advice.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#62 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:So what you're saying is people should ignore you because you tend to have three page long arguments resulting primarily from your inability to understand what other people said?

Good advice.

Wow, if I'm getting scolded by you, I know I shouldn't be posting in this forum anymore. I'm out.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#63 » by tontoz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Bummer. I was hoping to see the quote where someone said the Wizards would be a good team. :lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#64 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Just sayin'. You just had a three page long argument about something, turns out you were wrong because you didn't bother to check your facts. Your response? "I can't believe you guys are taking this so seriously!"

Why should anyone take you seriously now?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#65 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:52 pm

tontoz wrote:Bummer. I was hoping to see the quote where someone said the Wizards would be a good team. :lol:

Fine. From nate:

"The big change is that Nene is lilkely to play more than 31% of the games this year. When Nene plays, the team is pretty damn good."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#66 » by Benjammin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm

The team is poorly constructed and its two most important players are already injured. That is not a recipe for success in my basketball universe.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#67 » by fishercob » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 pm

33-49
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Benjammin
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by Benjammin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:
tontoz wrote:Bummer. I was hoping to see the quote where someone said the Wizards would be a good team. :lol:

Fine. From nate:

"The big change is that Nene is lilkely to play more than 31% of the games this year. When Nene plays, the team is pretty damn good."

Better than the weak horses and bayonets bon mot that has gotten so much undeserved attention and praise.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#69 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Benjammin wrote:Better than the weak horses and bayonets bon mot that has gotten so much undeserved attention and praise.

I think there's thread where your not particularly clever or cutting remark might fit; not interested in reading it in the context of the Wizards record, thanks.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Benjammin
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by Benjammin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:30 pm

payitforward wrote:
Benjammin wrote:Better than the weak horses and bayonets bon mot that has gotten so much undeserved attention and praise.

I think there's thread where your not particularly clever or cutting remark might fit; not interested in reading it in the context of the Wizards record, thanks.

Did that bother you so much? I'm just crushed that you are so sensitive. Considering how inflammatory my remark was, perhaps you better utilize the protection of the "add foe" aka ignore option to protect yourself. :roll:
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#71 » by tontoz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Fine. From nate:

Nice try, but saying they are a a good team with a qualifier isn't the same as saying they are a good team, hence his prediction of 39 wins.

And this comment of yours was clearly nothing but a strawman.

Ruzious wrote: yet fans here (perhaps a majority) have convinced themselves that the evidence clearly shows they're a legit good team right now. I wish you guys were right.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Post#72 » by queridiculo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Grantland, just killing the Wizards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WYU-rmT ... r_embedded

Hard to argue with anything said here.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#73 » by pancakes3 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:42 pm

well as long as a sports blogger from boston and his college drinking buddy agree...

sorry. the negativity in this thread was getting to me.

40-42. I think we'll go on a tear in the spring with Wall healthy and the bash bros anchoring the frontcourt.
Bullets -> Wizards
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#74 » by montestewart » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:59 am

Benjammin wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Did that bother you so much? I'm just crushed that you are so sensitive. Considering how inflammatory my remark was, perhaps you better utilize the protection of the "add foe" aka ignore option to protect yourself. :roll:

Wow, sure is tense around here.

Had to look up "horses and bayonets" to see what the rumpus was all about.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#75 » by doclinkin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:11 am

Um, me?

Optimism thread.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#76 » by doclinkin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 am

doclinkin wrote:

Um, me?

Optimism thread.

Or the Finnegans Wake version of the same: here.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#77 » by The Consiglieri » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:44 am

If you want to ignore that the Heat basically sent their team to the smithsonian for a dinner party in d.c. during the game, do so at your own leisure. THe heat didnt take it seriously, and so they lost, they had nothing to lose by losing and everything to gain (rest, and health), if one wants to celebrate that victory as analogous to beating the Heat in the meat of a season when the heat have rest you can do so, but I wouldn't.

I think the team was on pace to show improvement, an improvement of 5-10 games, some hopeful posters suggested a more dramatic turn, with the potential of 15-20 games, I didn't see that as likely considering that we failed to add any genuine franchise changing players, a poster noted that both the warriors and pacers have made massive improvements in win totals without a franchise player which I duly noted.

Now of course we're seriously injured, and will lose our best two players for substantial time. What's the cost of that? In my view, in a relatively friendly stretch of the season against weaker sides, we are likely to fail to take advantage of such scheduling and as a result, i suspect we'll only win 3-4 games in November. Project that out and we have about 68 more games on the schedule, probably 65+ with a healthy and ready to go Wall if nothing else bad happens. I have no idea what will happen with Nene considering his injury history. Looking at these issues, if I projected 33-37 wins as a healthy side, and only 60-65 games will feature a healthy side, we appear on our way to the low end of my expectations, for now I'd go with a 32-50 record.

Good for a slot between 7th and 10th.

It's a long ways off but:
Center:
Steven Adams

Forward:
Tony Mitchell
Alex Poythress

seem like the guys at slot who might play positions we'd be interested in. Any others?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#78 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:28 pm

hermitkid wrote:Grantland, just killing the Wizards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WYU-rmT ... r_embedded

Hard to argue with anything said here.

I gotta admit, Joe House had some very troubling comments about the injuries. He's right that it's usually a bad thing when the prescription for an injury is "rest". Inevitably, the injury flares up again until surgery is needed. Wall and Nene are the two best players on the team and there's a good chance that they may have nagging injuries all year long.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#79 » by dobrojim » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:02 pm

largely depends on how patient they are I would think.

that said, the pressure to play (from mgmt and the player) are
usually really high
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Post#80 » by queridiculo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm

nate33 wrote:I gotta admit, Joe House had some very troubling comments about the injuries. He's right that it's usually a bad thing when the prescription for an injury is "rest". Inevitably, the injury flares up again until surgery is needed. Wall and Nene are the two best players on the team and there's a good chance that they may have nagging injuries all year long.

That's one of the things that really resonated with me as well. Part of why I'm so pessimistic about this teams outlook.

I've been laboring with plantar fasciitis for some time now, which was in large part prompted by a stress injury to my achilles tendon that just won't go away.

It's extremely debilitating and while some days are better than others, it's damn near impossible to predict how long it's going to be to get over it according to the doctors. The only remedy is rest and immobilization, and even then you have to consider Nene's build and it's not hard to imagine this being a recurring issue all throughout the season. His participation in the Olympics was extremely irresponsible and I can't believe he did it with the blessing of this organization.

Wall's injury is pretty much in the same vein and was no doubt preceded by playing with patellar tendinitis. It's not quite as painful and an injury that one can play through, but it seems that in Walls case the weakening of the inflamed area finally resulted in a partial tear.

Return to Washington Wizards