ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread 

Post#61 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 1, 2012 3:55 pm

Dat2U wrote:CCJ, I'd bet dollars to donuts that Zeller never makes a significant impact. Maybe he's another Chris Mihm and gives you 6 ppg 5 rebs a night. I just don't think he's got the length to compete against starting caliber types at C.

I liked Lillard too. Has a bit of Kyrie Irving his game. I just wasn't sure he could finish at the rim though.

Waiters has top notch talent and very skilled but is a bit immature and out-of-control.

Beal I think will be fine but if this is anything like his Florida experience he's in an adjustment period and it will take a month or two for him to figure out. I remember seeing him at Florida early last season and being thoroughly unimpressed at his lack of aggression however by March he had become arguably their best player.

In hindsight I would make the player John Henson at 11, Dat.

Zeller will become a journeyman, pick-and-pop player. If he makes an impact I think it will be like Battier or Juwan Howard. He's very intelligent, can shoot, and Zeller runs the court well. Short arms and a lack of explosive athleticism limit him. Tyler Zeller, IMO could surprise and become a Bill Laimbeer type big over time with added weight. Dat, he was the ACC POTY. So was Todd Fuller, but he was not an Academic All America like Zeller. Smart guys find a way to compensate IMO. Not many big man can shoot 80% FTs.(see Edit)

What Zeller really needs is to play a lot of PF next to a true big man. I could see Zeller at stretch 4.

(see below)

EDITED (Red) I've been wrong a bunch, lately …. :oops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Fuller

Fuller graduated from Charlotte Christian School in 1992 and played collegiately at North Carolina State University (NC State). While with NC State, he led the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) in scoring during his senior year with 20.9 ppg and 9.9 rpg. He was an Academic All-American, and declined to accept a Rhodes Scholarship to the University of Oxford in order to play professional basketball. He was also inducted in to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated Summa Cum Laude in 1996 with a Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics from NC State.[8] Fuller is also a frequent public speaker.[9]

It was the other way around. Fuller was an Academic All America, totally disproving what I said above. Fuller was a real smart guy but he ended up playing in Europe after not making much impact with several teams in the NBA.
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#62 » by pancakes3 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 4:16 pm

nuposse04 wrote:A beal+lilliard backcourt would provide great spacing. The guy is a far superior scorer than I thought he was.

As for the Lakers...if this continues...how long does brown survive? I mean if they ask EJ to be interim coach they'd be just shooting themselves in the foot.

Can they bring brian shaw back?
Bullets -> Wizards
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#63 » by Higga » Thu Nov 1, 2012 4:21 pm

I love seeing the Lakers struggle as much as anyone, but it's two games. They'll figure it out, eventually.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#64 » by nuposse04 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 4:51 pm

Higga wrote:I love seeing the Lakers struggle as much as anyone, but it's two games. They'll figure it out, eventually.

not with Mike Brown leading the way. Their depth will get them killed as well. They're a slow team on defense, and it is just going to wear on them more as the season goes on. If/when they do make it to the playoffs they'll have to play defense without fouling because Hill and Blake are their only bench players worth a damn right now, maybe meeks if he gets hot.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#65 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Nov 1, 2012 5:43 pm

Lillard was projected to be NBA ready before the draft and he did so well in the preseason and Summer League that I knew he was going to do well last night. The thing with Davis, Lillard and others (Crowder, Zeller, etc...) is the coaches gave them 30+ mins to work with. If Beal was given 30+ mins Im sure he would've had a better game.

PS The Mavs look really good for no Dirk and no Kaman and Crowder looks like the real deal
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#66 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 1, 2012 5:54 pm

No Dirk hurts Dallas. No Kaman helps -- they'll be glad he's on a one-year deal.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#67 » by FAH1223 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 6:23 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
Higga wrote:I love seeing the Lakers struggle as much as anyone, but it's two games. They'll figure it out, eventually.

not with Mike Brown leading the way. Their depth will get them killed as well. They're a slow team on defense, and it is just going to wear on them more as the season goes on. If/when they do make it to the playoffs they'll have to play defense without fouling because Hill and Blake are their only bench players worth a damn right now, maybe meeks if he gets hot.

what about the Captain of Men, Antawn Jamison? 8-)

oh wait...

forgot he only plays one end of the court
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#68 » by verbal8 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 1:07 am

Nivek wrote:No Dirk hurts Dallas. No Kaman helps -- they'll be glad he's on a one-year deal.

They really are making quite a collection of has-been big men, Kaman, Curry and apparently they added Troy Murphy. Well I guess they do have Brand who is good.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#69 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Nov 2, 2012 1:14 pm

Nice shot by Parker last night.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#70 » by Kanyewest » Fri Nov 2, 2012 4:41 pm

It is interesting that the Princeton offense is working for one point guard for the Lakers- Steve Blake- in fact he's averaging 4.5 APG coming off the bench while Steve Nash is only averaging 4.0 APG in the starting lineup. Nash is also averaging 2.5 turnovers per game compared to Blake's 0.5. Granted it is only 2 games. Still, Blake does have familiarity in the Princeton offense as he did play 2 season (granted they were nothing special) with Eddie Jordan with the Wizards.

Still, I'm not sure that the Lakers learning the Princeton offense is necessarily a good idea given the age of the team. The offense didn't seem to work out to well in the first years in Washington and Philadelphia. Plus the Lakers with their old age and injury concerns really haven't practiced together that much- Kobe with his nagging injuries and Howard coming off of back surgery.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#71 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 2, 2012 6:40 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Beal I think will be fine but if this is anything like his Florida experience he's in an adjustment period and it will take a month or two for him to figure out. I remember seeing him at Florida early last season and being thoroughly unimpressed at his lack of aggression however by March he had become arguably their best player.

Agreed. Last week (in the record prediction thread) I said it would take Beal 20-25 games to get comfortable. While that's not ideal, I'm willing to be patient with Beal because I believe he's going to be an outstanding NBA player. I also think Beal was a little nervous that first game, although he claims he wasn't.

At Florida, Beal initially deferred to the Gators' two upperclass guards but became more assertive as the season went on and the games became more important. I sense that Beal is deferring some to his vet Wizard teammates. But that will change,. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#72 » by FAH1223 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 7:24 pm

DCZards wrote:Agreed. Last week (in the record prediction thread) I said it would take Beal 20-25 games to get comfortable. While that's not ideal, I'm willing to be patient with Beal because I believe he's going to be an outstanding NBA player. I also think Beal was a little nervous that first game, although he claims he wasn't.

At Florida, Beal initially deferred to the Gators' two upperclass guards but became more assertive as the season went on and the games became more important. I sense that Beal is deferring some to his vet Wizard teammates. But that will change,. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Those boys were ball hogs :lol:
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#73 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 2, 2012 8:26 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Agreed. Last week (in the record prediction thread) I said it would take Beal 20-25 games to get comfortable. While that's not ideal, I'm willing to be patient with Beal because I believe he's going to be an outstanding NBA player. I also think Beal was a little nervous that first game, although he claims he wasn't.

Those boys were ball hogs :lol:

True dat. And I believe that around midseason Billy Donovan told those ball hogs to "get the f***king ball to Bradley. He's our best player."
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#74 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 2, 2012 8:37 pm

Late posting this, but Marcus Morris finally got some PT last week, I'll be following him.
T Jones and Donatas never got in the game last week.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#75 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 3, 2012 12:14 am

Orlando is stomping Denver by 20 at the half, Big Baby has been a beast since Summer League.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#76 » by TheBigThree » Sat Nov 3, 2012 12:19 am

Cavs are getting destroyed by the Rose-less Bulls so far.

That doesn't bode well for our chances this year.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#77 » by TheBigThree » Sat Nov 3, 2012 1:54 am

Harden is ridiculous.
Newk Rollins
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#78 » by Newk Rollins » Sat Nov 3, 2012 1:54 am

Sure wish I owned the Nuggets. They've got ol' Javale locked up for 4 years @ $44 million so that he can score 4 points and get 2 boards with 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 12 minutes against center Dwight Howard of the Magic.

Oops, I guess Howard's gone. Javale was up against the estimable Josh McRoberts, who was +25 in 27 minutes...
RealGM

Post#79 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 3, 2012 1:57 am

TheBigThree wrote:Harden is ridiculous.

More than ever I will trust advanced stats. They pointed to him being a top-5 player last season. I thought it was due to Harden playing with Durant and Westbrook. Wrong.

Harden IS way better than Westbrook. Presti and all of us had no idea how good Harden is. 42 points and Lin is flirting with a triple double.

Jeremy Lin is going to shut as many people up as James Harden will.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#80 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 3, 2012 1:59 am

Charlotte won. :)
Orlando won.

Wizards are ahead of Boston, who is 0-2. Washington 0-1 will play the Celtics tomorrow.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards