ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread 

Post#381 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 am

Yeah. I think it's called a 5x5 and it's reserved for guys like Olajuwon and AK47
Bullets -> Wizards
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#382 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Lin back at MSG tonight!
Bullets -> Wizards
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#383 » by FAH1223 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:14 pm

I wish we had Lillard instead of Wall sometimes.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#384 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 pm

FAH1223 wrote:I wish we had Lillard instead of Wall sometimes.

Why? Wall is clearly better than him. The Wall hate around here is disgusting. Hope Wall gets healthy this year so he can prove people wrong. If Wall was a rookie this year he would hands down win the rookie of the year award.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#385 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Wall and Lillard are different kinds of PGs, kind of hard to compare to one another. Lillard is a far better long range scorer, and John is better at rebounding, blocking shots, and forcing players to send him to the line to stop him from scoring near the rim. I don't know which is better.

Neither guy is as good as Kyrie Irving, who is 2 years younger (20) than Wall and Lillard (both are 22).
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#386 » by Nivek » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:I wish we had Lillard instead of Wall sometimes.

Why? Wall is clearly better than him. The Wall hate around here is disgusting. Hope Wall gets healthy this year so he can prove people wrong. If Wall was a rookie this year he would hands down win the rookie of the year award.

If Wall was a rookie this season, he'd rate below average (at least in my rating system) just like he did in his actual rookie season. It's not "hate" to notice that Wall's horrific shooting and high number of turnovers undercuts his other contributions. Lillard had the advantage of being a couple years older when he entered the NBA, and Wall certainly has the potential to become better. But Lillard is more productive as a rookie so far than Wall was.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#387 » by Illuminaire » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Neither guy is as good as Kyrie Irving, who is 2 years younger (20) than Wall and Lillard (both are 22).

Do note that Irving seems to have as much trouble staying healthy as John does. :(

Also, I still question Irving's defensive impact.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#388 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:03 am

Bobcats right now are leading the Lakers 76-60 at Staples

Still, I expect a complete meltdown and the Lakers to get some calls and a win before it is over.
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#389 » by montestewart » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:15 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Bobcats right now are leading the Lakers 76-60 at Staples

Still, I expect a complete meltdown and the Lakers to get some calls and a win before it is over.

RIGHT YOU ARE!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#390 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 pm

The Cats nipped by 1 point. If the Wizards had Walker instead of Vesely we would probably be at .500 or better.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#391 » by Illuminaire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:02 pm

closg00 wrote:The Cats nipped by 1 point. If the Wizards had Walker instead of Vesely we would probably be at .500 or better.

(Editor's Note: This isn't so much directed at you, Closq, as everyone who brings up how we should have taken Walker last draft.)

No... we would just have the next Jason Terry. I know it's fashionable these days to crow about how we could have had Kemba, but he's a SG in a PG's body, doesn't play particularly inspiring man defense, and is only an OK shooter or finisher - even after a VAST improvement from his rookie year.

Walker is not a difference maker at this point in his career, and given his skillset, it's unlikely he's ever going to be. His potential is to be a shorter Monta Ellis. Whoop-di-doo.

Would Kemba have been a better pick than Vesely? Yeah, definitely. Would we look better as a team now (with our real PG out)? Sure. Would Kemba actually be a building block towards making us a perennial playoff team with contending aspirations? Not a chance in hell.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#392 » by Nivek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:59 pm

If you're gonna do hindsight drafting, at least have the Wizards getting Leonard and Faried from that year.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#393 » by Illuminaire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Nivek wrote:If you're gonna do hindsight drafting, at least have the Wizards getting Leonard and Faried from that year.

Preach.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#394 » by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm

The Clipper's bench:
Bledsoe
Crawford
Barnes
Odom
Hollins

is better than our starting lineup right now.
Bullets -> Wizards
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#395 » by Nivek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:26 pm

pancakes3 wrote:The Clipper's bench:
Bledsoe
Crawford
Barnes
Odom
Hollins

is better than our starting lineup right now.

Let's test that using my PPA stat:

Code: Select all

POS     WIZ     PPA     PPA     LAC
PG      Crwfrd  83      193     Bledsoe
SG      Beal    61      120     Crawford
SF      Webster 83      135     Barnes
PF      Sngltn  30      65      Odom
C       Okafor  116     28      Hollins

VERDICT Wiz avg 74.6    108.2   LAC avg

Sooooo, YES -- Clippers bench is better than Wizards starting lineup from last night. Woulda been worse if you'd replaced Hollins with Turiaf in your lineup.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#396 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:33 pm

^
Replace Singleton with Nene and we could give them a run. Nevertheless, point made. We suck.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#397 » by Nivek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Replace Singleton with Nene, and Wizards average rises to 99.2. Still behind the Clippers.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#398 » by Dat2U » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Illuminaire wrote:
closg00 wrote:The Cats nipped by 1 point. If the Wizards had Walker instead of Vesely we would probably be at .500 or better.

(Editor's Note: This isn't so much directed at you, Closq, as everyone who brings up how we should have taken Walker last draft.)

No... we would just have the next Jason Terry. I know it's fashionable these days to crow about how we could have had Kemba, but he's a SG in a PG's body, doesn't play particularly inspiring man defense, and is only an OK shooter or finisher - even after a VAST improvement from his rookie year.

Walker is not a difference maker at this point in his career, and given his skillset, it's unlikely he's ever going to be. His potential is to be a shorter Monta Ellis. Whoop-di-doo.

Would Kemba have been a better pick than Vesely? Yeah, definitely. Would we look better as a team now (with our real PG out)? Sure. Would Kemba actually be a building block towards making us a perennial playoff team with contending aspirations? Not a chance in hell.

I don't understand this. You compare him to Jason Terry (the exact same comparison I made two years ago when I preferred him to Vesely), but then you say he's not a building block.

Terry was the 3rd most important pierce on that Dallas Mavericks championship team of two years ago (behind Dirk & Tyson Chandler. He was their 2nd best player when they came close a few years before that. In many cases he closed games for Dallas.

If you see similar skills and talents in Kemba (and I do), then I don't know how you conclude that there's not a chance in a hell of him being a building block.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#399 » by Illuminaire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Terry was a replaceable 6th man who's job was to score. He was an important part of the team Dallas assembled, but he was not essential. Terry was never a top SG/PG and was never an effective defensive player. Shawn Marion and Jason Kidd were just as important to the title team, and Josh Howard was a huge piece the year they lost to Miami.

Your definition of building block appears to be very different from mine. I don't view undersized defensively challenged shot creators with OK passing skills to be building blocks. I view them as scoring roleplayers, and relatively easy to obtain on the free agent market.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#400 » by Illuminaire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36 pm

Additionally, my position regarding Kemba is further defined by what the /Wizards/ needs as a building block.

As of now, Wall is a decent overall player who can't shoot. That means he's useful running the point, but pretty useless off the ball. So, a player with Terry-like ability loses utility for our squad, except when they're running with the second team... so no. Alternatively, Wall is gone/amputated, and we're relying on a Terry-like guy to replace him... which is good for scoring, but not for just about every other phase of the game.

So no. In conclusion, a short combo-guard with eh efficiency was not going to be a building block for the Wiz. *shrug*

Return to Washington Wizards