ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread 

Post#281 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:52 pm

DCZards wrote:Plus, it's the first month of the season and S.A. was not playing back-to-back games. The "tired" argument doesn't wash with me.

It was a back-to-back -- they beat Orlando 110-89 the night before. Not only that, it was the 4th game in 5 nights -- a stretch that started with a double overtime win over Toronto.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#282 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Nivek wrote:
DCZards wrote:Plus, it's the first month of the season and S.A. was not playing back-to-back games. The "tired" argument doesn't wash with me.

Well, it was a back-to-back -- they beat Orlando 110-89 the night before. Not only that, it was the 4th game in 5 nights -- a stretch that started with a double overtime win over Toronto.

My bad on the back-to-back. But my argument still stands. Pop could have limited those players minutes against the Heat. What Pop did sets a bad precedent that the NBA absolutely should not want to see proliferate.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#283 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Respectully (but per my usual) strongly disagree, DCZ.

What Pop did was save his older players' legs, reward them with down time so they could take care of their holiday shopping or what not, while giving his young guys that really want to play some deserved burn. By doing that on the road, the Heat fans weren't missing Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Danny Green. They are happy to get a win.

What Popovich demonstrated is playing those guys who the Heat never scouted proved to be quite a test for Miami. They spaced the floor well, executed well, and had a 5-point lead with 2 minutes left. Every fan, whether watching at home or at the arena in Miami got a good game. I think Stern needs to be quiet on this one.

Erik Spoelstra and Lebron James are both on record supporting what Popovich felt was in the best interest of his roster. David Stern is meddling in something. The only precedent set is a coach being proactive, trying not to see his players get busted up before December.
Bye bye Beal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,150

Post#284 » by AFM » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Dude can play whoever he wants. If he wants to sign Justin Bieber and start him at Center he can do that too.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#285 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:45 pm

I love what Pop did. He's looking at the long term picture and saving his guys for the playoffs and the scheduling was completely unfair considering the Spurs grueling 5 day stretch and how much rest Miami had as well.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#286 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
By doing that on the road, the Heat fans weren't missing Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Danny Green. They are happy to get a win.

These is where I respectfully disagree, ccj. I'd love for the Zards to beat the Heat next Tuesday but I want to both see Lebron play AND beat the Heat with their best players and not a bunch of backups. I happen to believe most sports fans, including Heat fans, feel that way.

It's easy for those of us who didn't spend a dime to attend last night's Heat-Spurs game to say what Pop did was cool. But I think you'd feel very differently if you had paid hundreds of dollars expecting to see Duncan, Parker, etc.

Stern's a smart man. He did the right thing for the league's rep with fans.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#287 » by Illuminaire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Which would be a fantastic way to troll Stern next time they play the Heat, btw. Can we start a petition for this? I can see Pop at halftime now. *dead serious face* "I thought, from the way we talked after the last time, that David was interested in making sure the fans could see the stars they love play basketball. So we went ahead and signed Justin to step in while we rested Timmy. "
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#288 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Dat2U wrote:I love what Pop did. He's looking at the long term picture and saving his guys for the playoffs and the scheduling was completely unfair considering the Spurs grueling 5 day stretch and how much rest Miami had as well.

I don't see a problem with it either. Pop is doing what it takes to win a title. If it means throwing a game that was likely to be a loss anyhow in favor or winning two games against mid-level teams down the road, then it was worth it.

You can't have it both ways. You can't make big money by having an overly long and grueling 82-game season and then expect teams to treat every game like a playoff game.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#289 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Dat2U wrote:I love what Pop did. He's looking at the long term picture and saving his guys for the playoffs and the scheduling was completely unfair considering the Spurs grueling 5 day stretch and how much rest Miami had as well.

I don't see a problem with it either. Pop is doing what it takes to win a title. If it means throwing a game that was likely to be a loss anyhow in favor or winning two games against mid-level teams down the road, then it was worth it.

You can't have it both ways. You can't make big money by having an overly long and grueling 82-game season and then expect teams to treat every game like a playoff game.
RealGM

Post#290 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:16 pm

From now on, each game Gregg Popovich should seek Stern's approval on player rotations and the Spurs' depth chart, since the Commissioner is dictating who plays now.

The coach dare not play Tim Duncan 18 minutes instead of 32. Stern will be miffed.
Bye bye Beal.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#291 » by mhd » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Pop should have sent Tim, Tony, Manu, and Green home for "dicsiplinary reasons" :). Stern would have had no recourse.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#292 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 pm

I support Popovich on this too. Not only was it a back-to-back, not only was it 4 road games in 5 nights, it was the team's 11th road game of the season (out of 17 played so far). This game completed a 6-game road trip in just 9 days.

Both the Heat and Spurs played games on November 17. Including last night's Spurs @ Heat matchup, since then, the Spurs have played 7 games, 6 on the road. The Heat have played 3 -- all at home.

What Pop probably should have done in retrospect is announce bs injuries or that the players have been suspended with pay for conduct detrimental to the team (aging).

And by the way, there's more than a little "why now, Mr. Commish?" Pop has been doing this kind of thing for years. Hell, last year HE took two days off at the end of the season to get some rest before the playoffs.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#293 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I agree that from a long-term strategy standpoint it made perfect sense for Pop to rest those guys. And that's what I would expect those of us who spend most of the day on an NBA discussion board like this one to focus on. We're hardcore fans.

But for the casual NBA fan (those who might take their family/kids to one or two NBA games a year because they want to see Lebron, Durant, Kobe, etc.) this sucks. Those fans dont' give a damn about Pop's "strategy" when they just spent maybe $200-$300 or more watching guys named De Colo, Neal and Mills and other players they probably never even heard of...instead of the advertised stars. Those are the limited entertainment dollars that Stern and the league absolutely have to take into considertion. Not those of us who discuss and debate long-term "strategy."

Again, it's the precedent, folks. You can't make it appear to that you don't care about the average fan and their hard-earned dollars.

Sitting players (or sending them home) a month into the season is far different from doing it the last couple of weeks of the season when playoff spots are often set and it's routine and expected to see teams rest guys in preparation for the playoffs.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#294 » by Nivek » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 pm

The problem with the precedent argument is that the precedent was set years ago when Popovich (and others) did the exact same thing and Stern didn't impose "sanctions." Why now? Because he didn't like the way it looked on TV? Does ANYONE think he'd have been this mad if Pop had done the exact same thing for the Wizards game?
-- Malcolm Gladwell

RealGM

Post#295 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Illuminaire wrote:Which would be a fantastic way to troll Stern next time they play the Heat, btw. Can we start a petition for this? I can see Pop at halftime now. *dead serious face* "I thought, from the way we talked after the last time, that David was interested in making sure the fans could see the stars they love play basketball. So we went ahead and signed Justin to step in while we rested Timmy. "

Wow, you've opened Pandora's box with this.

Imagine signing "guest stars" for one night only! Pay them per-diem, and 1/82nd of an NBA season's minimum salary. Most would do it for free, just for the publicity.

For every Manu Ginobili, DNP-CD, the Spurs could fly in a "guest" star...

Will Farrell, Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, R Kelly, Vince Vaughn … the list could go on and on. Bieber could come in for Tony Parker. Gheorghe Muresan could come in for Tim Duncan ("My Giant qualifies Gheorghe as past star). You could also sign legends! George Gervin could get in one play and take a three or do finger roll! Imagine that.

Illuminaire, Pop could really say to Stern "the fans saw stars who love to play basketball." I'm down with this idea. :)
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#296 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Nivek wrote:The problem with the precedent argument is that the precedent was set years ago when Popovich (and others) did the exact same thing and Stern didn't impose "sanctions." Why now? Because he didn't like the way it looked on TV? Does ANYONE think he'd have been this mad if Pop had done the exact same thing for the Wizards game?

If Stern owned the Wizards his name would be Ted Leonsis and his GM would be named Ernie. Same line of thinking between the commish and the Wizards management.

"How does it look to the public? What's the bottom line financially? Save pennies here and there, lose dollars elsewhere." Above all, "Rule with an iron fist". Stern, like Ted/EG is hyper-vigilant and punitive without giving a matter due process and fairness.
Bye bye Beal.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#297 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Complete BS. Stern is completely out of line here.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#298 » by dobrojim » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Too bad Pop can't give a presser and point out that

1. He's coached >>>> champs than Stern

2. they darn near won the game anyway

Stern is a major douche
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
DCZards
General Manager

Post#299 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm

To be clear, I don't condemn Pop for doing what he did for the sake of his team. But I think you have to be pretty naive to not understand where Stern is coming from.
RealGM

Post#300 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:19 pm

dobrojim wrote:Too bad Pop can't give a presser and point out that

1. He's coached >>>> champs than Stern

2. they darn near won the game anyway

Stern is a major douche

+1

Plus

Equals