ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread 

Post#21 » by Nivek » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Agreed on Artest...er...Peace. I had him rated well-below average last season. Not worthless, but not good either. Ironically, the Lakers would have been better off if they'd kept Ariza, who rated about average last season. No reason to expect Peace to get any better as he ages.

I think with the Nash/Princeton offense thing -- one or the other might have made sense. The two together doesn't make sense.

Don't agree at all about Gasol being their 4th best player. He's a skilled big -- an ideal Princeton big in virtually every way. Only big I'd rather run the Princeton through is Dirk.

Ultimately, I think they'll be good -- even if it means junking the Princeton.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#22 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:57 pm

They're gonna be good.

I think all they should try three guards. Sit Metta World Peace in favor of a third guard. Kobe can cover SFs on the perimeter and Howard won't let SFs post up. What they need to figure out is how to stop speedy PGs from getting around Nash.

If I were in Kupchak's position I would evaluate the risk of adding Delonte West. He would be a good combo guard who could cover guys too quick for Nash. I think West would actually be better starting for the Lakers at PG in the Princeton, too. He's a much better defender than Nash. Delonte can dive to the basket for layups. He can hit perimeter shots. He could also cover either SG or PG, which is what the Laker defense seems to require when Nash is overmatched.
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,623

Post#23 » by pancakes3 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Gasol is a great player for the princeton but overall on offense, as skilled as he is, he shouldn't be the 1st or 2nd option on that team - which he is in the princeton.

I'm a huge advocate of making the system fit the talent you have and not vice versa. There's no use fitting a pick and roll peg into the princeton shaped hole that Mike Brown is trying to do.

As for signing west? I'll agree that they could roll the dice on him and not be any worse for wear up to the point of starting him.
Bullets -> Wizards
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#24 » by FAH1223 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:52 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:They're gonna be good.

I think all they should try three guards. Sit Metta World Peace in favor of a third guard. Kobe can cover SFs on the perimeter and Howard won't let SFs post up. What they need to figure out is how to stop speedy PGs from getting around Nash.

If I were in Kupchak's position I would evaluate the risk of adding Delonte West. He would be a good combo guard who could cover guys too quick for Nash. I think West would actually be better starting for the Lakers at PG in the Princeton, too. He's a much better defender than Nash. Delonte can dive to the basket for layups. He can hit perimeter shots. He could also cover either SG or PG, which is what the Laker defense seems to require when Nash is overmatched.

Yeah, I'd look at Delonte if I were Mitch.

Gasol is going to have a resurgent season if they have the Princeton. Kobe will be Kobe and put up 24 PPG.. Howard will get 20 and 10 easily... but Nash is lost in the shuffle. Sure, Nash can spot up and drain threes and get layups off cuts... but thats not his game and totally out of his element.

I thought the Lakers offense once they got Ramon Sessions (before the postseason of course) ran a lot better, they got in transition with Sessions and were getting easy buckets even with Kobe's chucking. They just didn't have shooters (they have more this year).

Up until halfway in the 2nd, their offense ran fine I thought but then it ran off a cliff.

With Mike Brown, the alternative would be "Give the ball to Kobe and get the $%#% out of the way" as he did in CLE with LeBron.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,088

Post#25 » by Dat2U » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:They're gonna be good.

Agree on them going to a 3-guard lineup. In reality, a Kobe's height, weight and age. he probably should play SF the majority of the time. West in theory would be good, but I wouldn't touch him considering the issues. He's liable to bring guns in the locker room and NOT leave any hand written notes giving you options.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#26 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 12:56 am

Jonas with the double-double 18 minutes into his NBA debut. The Wiz were one pick away from Jonas and Hibbert :-(
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#27 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Nov 1, 2012 12:59 am

Is anyone watching Greivis Vasquez with NO right now, 10 ast and 1 TO he is BALLIN! UMD Stand Up
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,443

Post#28 » by mhd » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:19 am

Did Javale get benched? Koufus played much more. Javale's stats look fine. Was he just making a series of WTF plays out there?
closg00
RealGM

Post#29 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:25 am

MikeTheKid wrote:Is anyone watching Greivis Vasquez with NO right now, 10 ast and 1 TO he is BALLIN! UMD Stand Up

The General was on my list on draft-night, he is setting those guys up nicely tonight. NOH is up on SAS in the 3rd quarter, think suckering Ernie into taking Okafor/Ariza has anything to do do with it?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#30 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:28 am

The Hornets, as they lead the Spurs right now, sure don't miss the veteran leadership of Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza.
Bye bye Beal.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#31 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:28 am

Hes surprisingly not the starter
closg00
RealGM

Post#32 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:35 am

MikeTheKid wrote:Hes surprisingly not the starter

Also shows how important it is that your back-up PG not be just an afterthought.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#33 » by miller31time » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:57 am

Harden in his Rockets debut thus far....

34pts (13-23fg / 4-9 3pt / 4-5ft)
11asts
5rebs
40mins

Still 3:09 remaining.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,043

Post#34 » by queridiculo » Thu Nov 1, 2012 1:59 am

Only one game, but Harden's stat line is just ridiculous at this point.

34 points on 13/23 shooting with 5 rebounds and 11 assists..
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#35 » by miller31time » Thu Nov 1, 2012 2:06 am

Ugh, really wanted Harden on the Wizards. Proposed a #3 pick (which turned out to be Beal), future 1st and Booker or Jan for Harden months back.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,043

Post#36 » by queridiculo » Thu Nov 1, 2012 2:10 am

Plenty of us have been talking about Harden as the player to target. This is what happens when you have a GM that lacks the vision and foresight to get the team
To the next level.

Absolutely sickening.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,443

Post#37 » by mhd » Thu Nov 1, 2012 2:12 am

Rick Carlisle is the best coach in the NBA (only Pop is on the same level). Amazing how good he is considering no Dirk, Kaman.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#38 » by TGW » Thu Nov 1, 2012 2:19 am

Demarcus Cousins with 7 TOs and 4 fouls against the Bulls...Noah is really making him look bad.

Javale with 4, 7, with blks and 3 TOs.

Davis with 19 and 7...
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#39 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Nov 1, 2012 2:47 am

closg00 wrote:
MikeTheKid wrote:Hes surprisingly not the starter

Also shows how important it is that your back-up PG not be just an afterthought.

Sorry should've quoted it that was for Javale, Greivis is starting for NOH even when Gordon comes back but I get your point
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#40 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Nov 1, 2012 2:52 am

hermitkid wrote:Plenty of us have been talking about Harden as the player to target. This is what happens when you have a GM that lacks the vision and foresight to get the team
To the next level.

Absolutely sickening.

Also consider Morey's job was on the line and he knew he had to pull the trigger and make some kind of serious move come hell or high water, something EG apparently doesnt have to worry about because he gets away with every excuse in the book.

Return to Washington Wizards