ImageImageImageImageImage

Looking at the numbers . . .

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Looking at the numbers . . . 

Post#61 » by hands11 » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:17 pm

pancakes3 wrote:You could have probably said that in 1/10 of the words, Hands.

"Our starting lineup's fg is crap. Shouldn't a team at least be able to field starters that don't shoot sub-40%? We should start Livingston, Webster, Singleton, Nene, and Barron, and have that squad close out the half. I think this is a much more effective and balanced way to line them up."

And you'd probably would have a lot more people read it and agree with the abridged version too. I agree except for the Barron part. Nene/Seraphin is a must and I wouldn't be opposed to Nene/Okafor even with fg% considered. Another question is if Livingston can handle starters minutes. Starting Webster is a no-brainer - and taking the pressure off Beal wouldn't hurt.

I wanted to post something that was data driven so I wanted to include all the numbers. Once the numbers where there, I wanted to walk through the logic of the choices and pairings and see where it lead.

Now that the outline of the data is there, it can more easily get updated to support one view or another.

By the numbers.

As for Livingston handling start minutes why would be be able to ? Besides, Price will get his share of minutes also. Its just about when each gets the minutes and with who.

I see no reason not to try Baron like that. When you go position by position and see what the number tell, it works. Nene and Barron starting gives you what you need in the post. Then Kevin comes in for Nene after 5 minutes and you see how he plays with Baron. If it still works, stay with it, If it isn't, you roll in Okafor.

The key driving force is that Nene has to start but he can't log more then 20 minutes right now. You could start Okafor with Nene but numbers didn't point to that being the better option.

C Min FG % least .500
Barron FG .526 eFG .526 TS% .517 with a Drtg 100 Ast % 6.6 TRB % 19.3 BLK % 1.4
Nene FG .517 eFG .517 TS% .595 with a Drtg 101 Ast % 11.4 TRB % 12.6 BLK % 0.9
Okafor FG .404 eFG .404 TS% .450 with a Drtg 101 Ast % 7.6 TRB % 15.4 BLK % 5.8
Ves FG .433 eFG .433 TS% .406 with a Drtg 105 Ast % 8.6 TRB % 9.9 BLK % 1.9
hands11
Banned User

Post#62 » by hands11 » Sun Dec 2, 2012 6:43 pm

Nivek wrote:If I gather this correctly, the sentiment expressed seems to be that Wittman should decide his lineup based on FG%. If so, it's just one more nonsensical rabbit hole for the Wizards to go down -- right along with drafting "if only" players, bringing in "veterans" to change "the culture" and picking players based on a narrowly specific subset of skills.

The team does need to shoot better, but the best PLAYERS should be the ones in the lineup the most.

FG% was one factor. Starters should be your best two way players. Scoring and defending. Back ups can be good at one or the other or less good at both given better options.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#63 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 2, 2012 11:33 pm

Nivek wrote:If I gather this correctly, the sentiment expressed seems to be that Wittman should decide his lineup based on FG%. If so, it's just one more nonsensical rabbit hole for the Wizards to go down -- right along with drafting "if only" players, bringing in "veterans" to change "the culture" and picking players based on a narrowly specific subset of skills.

The team does need to shoot better, but the best PLAYERS should be the ones in the lineup the most.

+1

Here's a chart of our players in order of their WP48 this season: http://www.thenbageek.com/teams/was?dir ... %22WP48%22

Make up your own mind about who should be playing how many minutes. Basic info is that we suck!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User

Post#64 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:56 am

payitforward wrote:

+1

Here's a chart of our players in order of their WP48 this season: http://www.thenbageek.com/teams/was?dir ... %22WP48%22

Make up your own mind about who should be playing how many minutes. Basic info is that we suck!

Based on WP48 vs the data I posted ? Why ? The data I posted is much more complete.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#65 » by Nivek » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:41 pm

My weekly numbers update at the blog.

Summary:

- I find Leonsis disingenuous or clueless.
- Leonsis says the team is building around 6 youngsters it has acquired over the past 2-3 years. All 6 rate below average this season; 4 of the 6 rate below replacement level; 1 is in negative territory
- Washington has 4 players who have produced at an above-average rate -- all player fewer than 22 minutes per game.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#66 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:46 pm

I think I'll take a break from watching the wizards play. GF hates it, I hate it, less time for me to do other, more fun things.

Too depressing.

Sad, because I really like basketball, and only really like to watch local pro teams play. But this team is just... ugh.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#67 » by AFM » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:39 pm

Nivek, can you explain the negative rating for Vesely? What exactly does a negative rating signify, besides that he sucks.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#68 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:51 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I think I'll take a break from watching the wizards play. GF hates it, I hate it, less time for me to do other, more fun things.

Too depressing.

Sad, because I really like basketball, and only really like to watch local pro teams play. But this team is just... ugh.

Instead of obsessing about the Wizards, Zonker, listen to your GF and (EDITED -- He's alive and probably still strokin') the great Clarence Carter.

Clarence offers many interesting ideas besides watching the Wizards. :)

WARNING: NSFW! (Unless you work where I first heard this song, at a post office in the hood.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7gMkiOPSeA[/youtube]

Have you ever been doing something in a car and had the pohleece flash a light on you? I have. I long for those days. :lol:
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#69 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 8:33 pm

hands11 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

+1

Based on WP48 vs the data I posted ? Why ? The data I posted is much more complete.

fg% doesn't include defense.
Bullets -> Wizards
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#70 » by Nivek » Tue Dec 4, 2012 3:21 pm

AFM wrote:Nivek, can you explain the negative rating for Vesely? What exactly does a negative rating signify, besides that he sucks.

The idea behind "replacement level" is that it's the level of performance an average team can expect when trying to replace a player at minimal cost -- freely available talent. In NBA parlance, that'd be D-League talent or a street free agent.

In my system, I've set replacement level at 60. That's a positive number. The player is well below average, but still contributing something. Vesely in negative territory signifies that he "produces" would be easily replaced by freely available talent.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#71 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Dec 4, 2012 3:38 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:I think I'll take a break from watching the wizards play. GF hates it, I hate it, less time for me to do other, more fun things.

Too depressing.

Instead of obsessing about the Wizards, Zonker, listen to your GF and the late, great Clarence Carter.

WARNING: NSFW! (Unless you work where I first heard this song, at a post office in the hood.)

Have you ever been doing something in a car and had the pohleece flash a light on you? I have. I long for those days. :lol:

Man, I walked right into that one, didn't I?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#72 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 4, 2012 3:50 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Too depressing.

Instead of obsessing about the Wizards, Zonker, listen to your GF and the late, great Clarence Carter.

Man, I walked right into that one, didn't I?

If you're lucky you did! Send those girls right over....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#73 » by Nivek » Tue Dec 4, 2012 7:24 pm

Posted my latest power ranking (Wiz rank last, of course) plus an awards watch and the first look at my "Diamond" rating, which compares a player's per game production to his per minute production.

Andray Blatche made the Diamond list. Sigh.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#74 » by MJG » Tue Dec 4, 2012 7:52 pm

Nivek wrote:Posted my latest power ranking (Wiz rank last, of course) plus an awards watch and the first look at my "Diamond" rating, which compares a player's per game production to his per minute production.

Andray Blatche made the Diamond list. Sigh.

The Nets' alchemical staff are truly masters of their craft.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#75 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 4, 2012 8:05 pm

It's good to be alive ….

CORRECTION: Clarence Carter is very much alive. http://www.clarencecarter.net/

When I was a boy, my mom sometimes called me "Patches". A line in one of his songs went, "Patches, I'm depending on you, son". He also sang a song called "Slip Away" that was real big in my dad's day.

To get back on topic, Nivek, of course Blatche made the diamond list.

If the Wizards trade Vesely, he'll do well on another roster, too. Bradley Beal would soon be a diamond if they trade him. This type of thing is the norm with Washington.

Not surprised at all by Blatche's productivity.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#76 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 9:15 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:To get back on topic, Nivek, of course Blatche made the diamond list.

If the Wizards trade Vesely, he'll do well on another roster, too. Bradley Beal would soon be a diamond if they trade him. This type of thing is the norm with Washington.

People keep saying this, but it's really not true. As a rule, former Wizards tend to play worse after they have been traded or allowed to depart via free agency:

Blatche - better after departing
McGee - same
Young - terrible in LA. Not so good in Philly either
Hinrich - worse in Atlanta
Gee - better after departing, but does his 22 total games as a Wizard really count?
Jamison - worse in Cleveland and LA
Butler - worse in Dallas and horrible in LA
Haywood - worse in Dallas and about the same in Charlotte
Miller - worse in Miami
McGuire - about the same (useful bench player)

and going back a little further
Jeffries - terrible in New York
Hughes - terrible in Cleveland

With the exception of Blatche in a small sample size, you really have to go back to the days of Rip, B.Wallace, R.Wallace and Webber to find a time when this assertion was actually true.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#77 » by Knighthonor » Tue Dec 4, 2012 9:23 pm

remember this saying

"Once a player leaves the Wizards, they become Star Talent!"
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#78 » by JAR69 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 9:24 pm

Nivek wrote:My weekly numbers update at the blog.

Summary:

- I find Leonsis disingenuous or clueless.
- Leonsis says the team is building around 6 youngsters it has acquired over the past 2-3 years. All 6 rate below average this season; 4 of the 6 rate below replacement level; 1 is in negative territory
- Washington has 4 players who have produced at an above-average rate -- all player fewer than 22 minutes per game.

No, no, you are missing the point. Let's assume Wall comes back and plays at the same slightly below average level he did at the end of last year, but can only go for 20+ minutes per game. That means we can put five players on the court who are, in the aggregate, above-average. The catch is that we can only do so for 20+ minutes per game. So EG just needs to make the league shorten the games by half. Voila, playoffs. :)
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#79 » by Nivek » Tue Dec 4, 2012 10:10 pm

Took a look at the Leonsis claim that the Wizards will be better when they get Wall back and can play at a faster pace. Shockingly, the evidence doesn't support that assertion.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#80 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Dec 4, 2012 11:02 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:To get back on topic, Nivek, of course Blatche made the diamond list.

People keep saying this, but it's really not true. As a rule, former Wizards tend to play worse after they have been traded or allowed to depart via free agency:

Blatche - better after departing
McGee - same
Young - terrible in LA. Not so good in Philly either
Hinrich - worse in Atlanta
Gee - better after departing, but does his 22 total games as a Wizard really count?
Jamison - worse in Cleveland and LA
Butler - worse in Dallas and horrible in LA
Haywood - worse in Dallas and about the same in Charlotte
Miller - worse in Miami
McGuire - about the same (useful bench player)

and going back a little further
Jeffries - terrible in New York
Hughes - terrible in Cleveland

With the exception of Blatche in a small sample size, you really have to go back to the days of Rip, B.Wallace, R.Wallace and Webber to find a time when this assertion was actually true.

You can add Pecherov to that list too, as he essentially played himself out of the league.

Return to Washington Wizards