yardbarker

Looking at the numbers . . .

Moderators: LyricalRico, pineappleheadindc, nate33, WizStorm, miller31time

Post#151 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm by nate33

Nivek wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Nivek wrote:Comprehensive rookie ratings over at the blog.

Drummond is atop the list. Beal ranks 16th -- right at average for this class of rookies (minimum 200 total minutes). Needs to continue his recent improvement.

I'm a big believer in per-minute numbers, but only up to a point. Guys that are playing 15 minutes per game or fewer really get their numbers skewed because they are so often playing against backups and/or playing only in garbage time. I would pretty much disregard any of these rookies playing 16 minutes or less.

Already accounted for in PPA. The numbers include an adjustment based on that Starter% term.

Wow. Nice!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 1,136

Post#152 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm by Nivek

I normally use 500 minutes as the cutoff for reliability in per minute stats. (Research from some of the stat guys suggest per minute stats stabilize around 150 total minutes, but I've always preferred 500.) I used 200 for the rookies because the season isn't even to the halfway point yet.

But, out of curiosity, I went to the 500-minute cutoff point. So far, 23 rookies have played at least 500 minutes. Beal ranks 11th in PPA among that group. Rookies with 500+ minutes have an average PPA of 80 so far -- a little better than Beal's 75.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek

Head Coach
And1: 634

Post#153 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm by AFM

I know it's a small sample size but what's Beal's PPA in the last month?
WizarDynasty wrote:Ted is trying to transform you from a bullet .....piece of metal shot from a gin into a wizard....wise.... wisest fans in the .ba. board has a long way to go but ee have wise wizard posters to guide into Ted the savior rescue operation.
AFM
Starter
And1: 772

Post#154 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm by Nivek

AFM wrote:I know it's a small sample size but what's Beal's PPA in the last month?

Here are Beal's PPA scores by month:

Oct/Nov -- 52
December -- 65
January -- 124

The January number IS encouraging, but when I drill down, I do see things that make me...well..."nervous" isn't quite the right word, but it'll do. Specifically, Beal's improvement is almost exclusively in the category of 3pt shooting. His 2pt% is .397 in January -- down from .447 in December, which was up from .333 in Oct/Nov.

In January, his per minute numbers are down if fta, reb, and ast. He's a little better in steals, turnovers and fouls. All his numbers are at least decent for a SG, so no real worries. More of an observation, really.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek

Head Coach

Post#155 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 pm by tontoz

A few weeks ago Beal tried to dunk on Josh Smith and got punked so badly he ended up missing a couple of games. Against OKC he tried to dunk on Ibaka. He definitely has a lot to learn as far as finishing in/near the paint.

It also seems like too often he will go up for a jumper when a defender is in a good position to block/contest it.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#156 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm by montestewart

tontoz wrote:A few weeks ago Beal tried to dunk on Josh Smith and got punked so badly he ended up missing a couple of games. Against OKC he tried to dunk on Ibaka. He definitely has a lot to learn as far as finishing in/near the paint.

It also seems like too often he will go up for a jumper when a defender is in a good position to block/contest it.

It's those types of shortcomings that I don't worry much about right now. He seems smart and capable of working, adapting, and learning, and those seem the type of things a 19-year-old rookie would still be learning about the NBA.
montestewart
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#157 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:58 pm by tontoz

montestewart wrote:
tontoz wrote:A few weeks ago Beal tried to dunk on Josh Smith and got punked so badly he ended up missing a couple of games. Against OKC he tried to dunk on Ibaka. He definitely has a lot to learn as far as finishing in/near the paint.

It's those types of shortcomings that I don't worry much about right now. He seems smart and capable of working, adapting, and learning, and those seem the type of things a 19-year-old rookie would still be learning about the NBA.

Agreed. Harden's 2 point percentage was pretty bad as a rookie. He only shot 47% at the rim compared to Beals current 59%.

Now that Beal seems to be past his rookie jitters i am hoping that he just makes his open jumpers at a good rate. These other things will probably take more time.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#158 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 pm by GhostsOfGil

tontoz wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Agreed. Harden's 2 point percentage was pretty bad as a rookie. He only shot 47% at the rim compared to Beals current 59%.

Now that Beal seems to be past his rookie jitters i am hoping that he just makes his open jumpers at a good rate. These other things will probably take more time.

The big reason for this was because Harden was blocked at the rim nearly 20% of the time... I had concernes about Beals shot blocked % until I saw that number.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 671

Post#159 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 am by hands11

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... fied/false

If they had only drafted NIkola like I wanted.

Not bad for a 22 year old in his second year. That would have been some nice center depth.
hands11
RealGM
And1: 1,138

Post#160 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm by Nivek

-- Malcolm Gladwell

Nivek

Head Coach

Post#161 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:21 pm by Jay81

Nivek wrote:Latest stats update, including a look at Beal's January and Wall's start to the season.

what the heck is AJ price doing on that over 100 list? Did Ernie actually make a good move?
Jay81
Sixth Man
And1: 115

Post#162 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:23 pm by Nivek

Price has played well recently. We'll see where he ends up, but at present put Price in the "Ernie found one" column.

Need to go back and re-run the numbers on Price with some of the tweaks I've made to PPA this season.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Nivek

Head Coach

Post#163 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 pm by hands11

Nivek wrote:Price has played well recently. We'll see where he ends up, but at present put Price in the "Ernie found one" column.

Need to go back and re-run the numbers on Price with some of the tweaks I've made to PPA this season.

Along with Webster.

Webster is at TS% .581
hands11
RealGM

Post#164 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:43 pm by Nivek

Latest stat update looking at the full season, and at the last 10 games. For those past 10 games, Okafor playing like a top 10 player in the league, Webster like a top 15 player, Price like a top 50. Beal, Wall and Nene are the other players producing at an average or better rate, according to PPA over the past 10.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Nivek

Head Coach

Post#165 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:18 pm by Zonkerbl

I see you've changed "replacement level" from 70 to 45...
Comparing Rose to Wall is like asking which is a more impressive cat: A cheetah or a wolf? Dude, Wall ain’t no damn cat!
Zonkerbl

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 167

Post#166 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:30 pm by MJG

Zonkerbl wrote:I see you've changed "replacement level" from 70 to 45...

It used to be 10th man, and was changed to 11th man. And I think that it was 60, rather than 70.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 49

Post#167 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 pm by LyricalRico

Nice to Vesely's rating improve.
LyricalRico

Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 207

Post#168 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 pm by hands11

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... eka-okafor

After that game, Okafor is now averaging a double double for January.

10.7 rebounds 10.1 pts

His last two games have been awesome.

15 rbs and 23 pts
16 rbs and 15 pts
hands11
RealGM

Post#169 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 pm by mohammed10

hands11 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2399/emeka-okafor

After that game, Okafor is not averaging a double double for January.

10.7 rebounds 10.1 pts

His last two games have been awesome.

15 rbs and 23 pts
16 rbs and 15 pts

Woah...those are Cousins' type numbers
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
mohammed10

Assistant Coach
And1: 143

Post#170 Re: Looking at the numbers . . .
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 am by B-easy

Wall shooting 45% from the field now, pretty good.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 166

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Wizards