ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#701 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:Well, he has the ability to put the ball in the basket as well as anyone in the nation - though he has been slumping lately. Tonight's a good game to watch - UCLA v AZ. Bazz' teammate, Kyle Anderson might be a more interesting watch - as he's much more multi-faceted, and he's moving that terrible FG% up. If he keeps improving, he could be a top 10 pick.

Yeah, I was really high on Anderson coming out of HS.

I was really hoping he'd end up a Hoya. :(
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#702 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Not super big on bazz. i would not mind getting him but i think that Otto porter would serve us better.
Jciv13
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#703 » by Jciv13 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Been reading this board for years, finally posting now. I don't see why everyone here is so high on Noel. Has 0 offensive game and if you want to compare him to Chandler that's fine, but what's stopping him from becoming the next Hasheem Thabeet. You never know with these bigs coming out of college. Even though we have Beal, our wings our suspect besides Martell. We should pick Otto Porter with our first pick. At this point if we're going to trade Crawford, we should do so to a contender and get their late first and pick McDermott. This should solidify our 3 spot as long as we keep Webster. We will have 3 VERY efficient scorers in the lineup.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#704 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Jciv13 wrote:Been reading this board for years, finally posting now. I don't see why everyone here is so high on Noel. Has 0 offensive game and if you want to compare him to Chandler that's fine, but what's stopping him from becoming the next Hasheem Thabeet. You never know with these bigs coming out of college. Even though we have Beal, our wings our suspect besides Martell. We should pick Otto Porter with our first pick. At this point if we're going to trade Crawford, we should do so to a contender and get their late first and pick McDermott. This should solidify our 3 spot as long as we keep Webster. We will have 3 VERY efficient scorers in the lineup.

love this post!!! I 100% agree. Noel could bust just like Thabeet did, Love Porter. I am super high on olynyk, if we could pick up a late loto pick i would love to get him with porter. ithink if we tried we could end up with 2-3 first roudners nd i think we could get some nice pieces in this draft.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#705 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Noel is so much better athletically and coordination-wise than Thabeet, it's impossible to seriously compare them.

For those saying they'd take Porter because they don't think Noel's offense is good enough, I'd suggest comparing Porter's freshman stats to Noel's, and tell what makes Porter a significantly better offensive prospect. One in 30.9 minutes per game had 10.8 points on 58.7 FG%, 57.1 FT%, and 1.8/1.8 A/TO's. The other in 29.7 minutes averaged 9.7 points on 52.5 FG%, 70.2 FT%, and 1.5/1.2 A/TO's.

Defensively, Noel has a combo of steals and blocks that indicates he will have a major impact in the NBA. He may not have shown many offensive moves, but I've seen him several times drive from the foul line to his left in half court sets and dunk the ball as quickly as anyone I've ever seen. I don't know what kind of offensive player he will be, but my guess is there's a helluvalot o untapped potential there, and I know 18 year old big men tend to improve over time. Just as Porter was very skinny as a frosh and is starting to get much stronger, the same is true of Noel. As I've said, I like Porter - comparing him to Batum - but his potential impact on an NBA team is nowhere near Noel's, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#706 » by Upper Decker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:27 pm

If the Wizards trade Crawford for a late first to take McDermot why draft Otto Porter? If the Wiz trade Crawford then I think that opens the door for McLemore.

My impression of the league is that it's becoming a guards league, or a positionless league, where teams routinely play 3 guard sets and win based on athletism, high-pressure defense, and play at an incredibly quick-pace. Wiz have the brute big men to do the dirty work so they'd be prime to run with Beal, McLemore, and Wall. I've watched McLemore in several games and I think he's the top player in the draft. Should the Wiz decide they don't need two young promising SG's I'd go with McLemore and trade Beal.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#707 » by nuposse04 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 am

Upper Decker wrote:If the Wizards trade Crawford for a late first to take McDermot why draft Otto Porter? If the Wiz trade Crawford then I think that opens the door for McLemore.

My impression of the league is that it's becoming a guards league, or a positionless league, where teams routinely play 3 guard sets and win based on athletism, high-pressure defense, and play at an incredibly quick-pace. Wiz have the brute big men to do the dirty work so they'd be prime to run with Beal, McLemore, and Wall. I've watched McLemore in several games and I think he's the top player in the draft. Should the Wiz decide they don't need two young promising SG's I'd go with McLemore and trade Beal.

Why the hell would we want him? He's efficient in the college game but best case scenario for him is being a tweener forward that comes in late game shooting situations. The only way he'd excel is if he had wide open looks all day, and while I expect Wall to improve enough that he'd cause the defense to sag a bit towards him, drafting McDermot in the lottery, let alone 1st round seems like a waste. I think he could be had in the 2nd if he proves worthy.

Let's throw out some hypotheticals since that's all we can really do at this point. Assume we play .600 ball here out, we should finish with roughly 34 wins. Assuming no major trades are made, Ernie probably would probably want to use this draft one last time to try to stock pile some talent that could be used as trade chips in the '13-'14 season trade deadline. I think we have 3 picks last I checked. I'll assume we'd be picking 8th or so. Lets assume the Bobcats get the pick from blazers cause they don't place 12 or lower. I recall reading that the bobcats may consider trading out of this draft, while I doubt they trade out of the top 5, I can see them giving up say the 13th pick for say...Booker+Singleton and maybe cash. If that math works..someone correct me if I'm wrong. I generally think this draft has low potential, but I think it still has enough to upgrade our current roster should we play our cards right.

So we'd have

1st round-8th
1st round-13th

two second rounders.

I'd probably Otto Porter with the first pick, unless we feel confident he can fall to 13. But I think he'll be somewhere in the 5-10 range by years end. Complete game, no flashy, but intelligent and can finally shoot. I think he'd fit next to Wall and Beal.

I'd probably draft the best project big available at 13th, I'd be hoping for Austin, I'd settle for Willie Stein and Gobert. Gobert it is the biggest project of the bunch I think so lets just assume we get him.

In the 2nd round I'd go for Snaer and Kadji (I think he could be a stretch 4 for us, maybe a poor man's Frye).

Porter
Gobert
Snaer
Kadji

I'd consider that a successful draft, mostly because I believe sans Gobert, most those guys could come into the game next year off the bench and give decent minutes allowing us to use them as trade chips as we approach the '14 trade deadline. Personally I'd like to hold onto Porter and Kadji.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#708 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 am

the point i am trying to get at is that there are more rounded big men in the draft that we can get my getting a later pick, which won't be hard. Austin and Olynyk have better skill sets than noel. IMO
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#709 » by nuposse04 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 am

gambitx777 wrote:the point i am trying to get at is that there are more rounded big men in the draft that we can get my getting a later pick, which won't be hard. Austin and Olynyk have better skill sets than noel. IMO

You might be right, but we just can't give up anything that might be worth something in '14, thats all I want to preserve. Okafor will be worth much in '14, which is why I'd like to hold onto him. Anyone else outside of Beal and Wall are game though.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#710 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:35 am

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA ... ollum-4066

C.J. McCollum
21 years old; 6'3"; 192 lbs.
Lehigh, Senior

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2IyGmfkqa
http://www.draftexpress.com

He can catch and shoot and shoot off the dribble. Too short to start at SG. Also he can back up at PG when needed.

Perfect Crawford replacement.

If you are looking for a Crawford replacement to come off the bench, this is the dude. Only problem is that is a lot of give up for a back up. He most likely will fall lower.

Or I want this guy.

Victor Oladipo SG/SF
20 years old; 6'5"; 210 lbs.
Indiana, Junior

Mini L Deng

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2IyH43GRu
http://www.draftexpress.com

Otto is definitely on the list for SF

As for center, I think we could still work a deal for Gortat. With all these young centers in the draft, they will be flying around the leg in a few years. I wouldn't mind grabbing one, but there are other way we can go as well.

I see several pieces that would help the Wiz off the bench the next year or two.

Maybe we can buy a pick or trade two twos for a lower one.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#711 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 am

hands11 wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-CJ-McCollum-4066

If you are looking for a Crawford replacement, this is the dude.

He can catch and shoot and shoot off the dribble. Too short to start at SG but can back up at PG when needed.

I'd be really surprised if he lasted till the second round.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#712 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 am

gambitx777 wrote:the point i am trying to get at is that there are more rounded big men in the draft that we can get my getting a later pick, which won't be hard. Austin and Olynyk have better skill sets than noel. IMO

How are the Wiz getting all these extra picks?

Austin is too skinny to play PF, much less center. He doesn't have the frame to add enough weight, imo. He reminds me of Anthony "Magic" Randolph - except even skinnier. Turn him sideways, and he disappears.
Jciv13
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#713 » by Jciv13 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:00 am

I just think you go for depth in this draft. Austin is a dangerous pick. If he were a year more mature physically, I wouldn't be saying this because I realize how skilled he is/could be. In the second round either Isaiah Canaan or Lorenzo Brown would be good for backup point guards behind Price and Wall until Price leaves. They both have different styles but they could be effective.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#714 » by Dat2U » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:08 am

Further thought on McLemore. Can someone give me a current or recent example of a successful NBA shooting guard that struggles to create off the dribble?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#715 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:21 am

Dat2U wrote:Further thought on McLemore. Can someone give me a current or recent example of a successful NBA shooting guard that struggles to create off the dribble?

He's a freshman. I don't think you've seen his entire game. They used to say the same thing about Ray Allen, and he's likely going to end up in the HOF. McLemore is a super talent.

Glenn Robinson III (GR3) is another freshman like that - isn't a shot-creator at this point but is a helluva prospect.

Btw, I also like McLemore's teammate - Travis Releford - not to be confused with brother Trevor - the starting PG for Alabama (who won't be confused with Trevor Booker or Trevor Ariza). Travis isn't even listed as a 2nd round prospect by DraftExpress, but I'd consider him with the Wiz 2nd round pick.

Jciv13, I agree that Brown and Canaan both make sense as players the Wiz should consider in round 2.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#716 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 am

Jciv13 wrote:Been reading this board for years, finally posting now. I don't see why everyone here is so high on Noel. Has 0 offensive game and if you want to compare him to Chandler that's fine, but what's stopping him from becoming the next Hasheem Thabeet. You never know with these bigs coming out of college. Even though we have Beal, our wings our suspect besides Martell. We should pick Otto Porter with our first pick. At this point if we're going to trade Crawford, we should do so to a contender and get their late first and pick McDermott. This should solidify our 3 spot as long as we keep Webster. We will have 3 VERY efficient scorers in the lineup.

+1

McDermott is exactly the type player the Wizards lack. He cannot be left open. Guys like Brian Cardinal and Brian Cook didn't defend their positions very well yet they stuck because they could hit open shots and they could execute in half court. So can McDermott.
Bye bye Beal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#717 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 am

Dat2U wrote:Further thought on McLemore. Can someone give me a current or recent example of a successful NBA shooting guard that struggles to create off the dribble?

JRich has never been that good off the dribble. Then again i don't think he ever made an All-Star game either.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,155

Post#718 » by AFM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 am

Richard Hamilton maybe. Not a great ball handler, always thrived in the pick and pop.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#719 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:33 am

AFM wrote:

Richard Hamilton maybe. Not a great ball handler, always thrived in the pick and pop.

Kyle Korver
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,155

Post#720 » by AFM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 am

Haha, how could I forget. Good one hands. Basically every white SG ever.

Return to Washington Wizards