Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#1321 » by Rafael122 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:20 am

CCJ - I was never on that Len bandwagon. I don't see it. I don't see it with Zeller either. I think they will be overmatched in the pros.

If anything, a big to keep an eye on is Willie Caulie-Stein from Kentucky. Horrible free throw shooter but he's going to get tons of playing time with Noel out.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#1322 » by Wizardspride » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:24 am

Rafael122 wrote:CCJ - I was never on that Len bandwagon. I don't see it. I don't see it with Zeller either. I think they will be overmatched in the pros.

I think Len's going to be good....eventually. His biggest issue is strength imo.

And as for Zeller....I have a feeling he's going to be a disappointment as a pro. Not a bust per se, just disappointing.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1323 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:58 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Been hyping Porter for months, about time some of yall have come around on the guy. He's probably the most complete player in this draft. He's my top prospect, especially now that Noel is hurt. He's a future 3, can do a little bit of everything. He's basically Shawn Marion lite. He probably won't be a top 3 pick, but it bodes well for us if we start playing better. And I would not hesitate in trading our 2 second round picks and swapping our first rounder to move up and get him.

How about this: I wouldn't hesitate to draft down for Porter, either.

Jamison was drafted ahead of Vince Carter, and they were swapped on draft day. Roy and Foye were also swapped. If the Wizards luck out with top 5 pick at 4 or so, I think instead of going Zeller or McLemore or Shabazz, the Wizards could choose them and trade for Porter, who is projected to go around 8-10 right now.

Porter and Smart seem very low risk to me. If the Wizard chose Smart, I think they would not regret it, but it would be hard to justify passing on guys like Len and Porter.

If they get a high pick, that was more in line with what I have been posting only, trust me on this CCJ, get out early on Smart. He is not what you think he is going to be. Though he should be a good back up. Problem is, we need to draft eventual starters.

Just trying to help brother :)
They would do better with any combination a Otto, CJM, Victor and Withey.

Whitney is not going 27th as DraftX has him.

But you know what. Its a long ways way. Lots can happen between now and them. March Madness coming up. Wiz have a lot of games left.

Its really impossible to say exactly who to take at this point. But there are some good players I would gladly have on the team if they fit.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#1324 » by Knighthonor » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:31 am

2014 looks loaded draft.

would you give up a lotto in loaded draft for somebody in this draft?

also what will be done about player development issues in Washington Wizard?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,065

Post#1325 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:48 am

mhd wrote:The only reason we would trade down would be unload a bad salary or get back a good asset. Well, with Emeka and Ariza expiring, we don't have any bad salaries. Aside from Noel, I don't see any teams willing to trade up for a top 3 pick. I think we'll finish in the 6-10 range where Noel, Zeller, Smart, Porter, Shabaaz, and Len are all gone. At that point, I'd take Bennett and hope he avoids becoming Derrick Williams 2.0.

We are 3.5 games behind the 8th seeded team, Detroit; and they're playing pretty well. I don't think we're going to catch them. We should finish with a top 7 pick. My guess is that at least one of the teams ahead of us (New Orleans or Cleveland, probably) finishes the year our just as strong as we do and stays ahead of us. That would leave us with the 6th pick.

With the 6th pick, I'm pretty confident that one of Porter or Oladipo will be on the board.
Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Post#1326 » by Deivy202 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 am

I hate how we won again I mean yes if we wanna be technical we should have a winning record with a healthy team but if we wanna get better we need our picks.

Luckly for us we are still top 5 and i wanna keep it that way.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1327 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:08 am

Rafael122 wrote:Been hyping Porter for months, about time some of yall have come around on the guy. He's probably the most complete player in this draft. He's my top prospect, especially now that Noel is hurt. He's a future 3, can do a little bit of everything. He's basically Shawn Marion lite. He probably won't be a top 3 pick, but it bodes well for us if we start playing better. And I would not hesitate in trading our 2 second round picks and swapping our first rounder to move up and get him.

Really. Where ?

There was a huge Otto conversation about a mouth ago and several people liked him.

I didn't see you involved in that conversation.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1328 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:26 am

nate33 wrote:
mhd wrote:The only reason we would trade down would be unload a bad salary or get back a good asset. Well, with Emeka and Ariza expiring, we don't have any bad salaries. Aside from Noel, I don't see any teams willing to trade up for a top 3 pick. I think we'll finish in the 6-10 range where Noel, Zeller, Smart, Porter, Shabaaz, and Len are all gone. At that point, I'd take Bennett and hope he avoids becoming Derrick Williams 2.0.

We are 3.5 games behind the 8th seeded team, Detroit; and they're playing pretty well. I don't think we're going to catch them. We should finish with a top 7 pick. My guess is that at least one of the teams ahead of us (New Orleans or Cleveland, probably) finishes the year our just as strong as we do and stays ahead of us. That would leave us with the 6th pick.

With the 6th pick, I'm pretty confident that one of Porter or Oladipo will be on the board.

That would be tough to call right now. Hell, it might be even harder come draft day. But it a quality problem to have that I embrace. Gotta keep watching to see who separates themselves. I really want a way to figure out how to get them both. Both these guy were on my list from the start as the kind of players I would want on my team.

I know need says we draft a center but do we really need that over getting another player we like more ?

Look at Okafor. We didn't draft him and he is doing great.

We have to get a 2nd first in this draft. If we could land maybe one of these two and say Withey, that would give us a really nice draft. If we could magically get 3 picks and get them all, I would be in heaven. If we could get MC McCullen as well... what above being in heaven ?

Wizards add Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter, C.J. McCollum and Jeff Withey

Make it happen Ted/EG
popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#1329 » by popper » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:44 pm

hands11 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

That would be tough to call right now. Hell, it might be even harder come draft day. But it a quality problem to have that I embrace. Gotta keep watching to see who separates themselves. I really want a way to figure out how to get them both. Both these guy were on my list from the start as the kind of players I would want on my team.

I know need says we draft a center but do we really need that over getting another player we like more ?

Look at Okafor. We didn't draft him and he is doing great.

We have to get a 2nd first in this draft. If we could land maybe one of these two and say Withey, that would give us a really nice draft. If we could magically get 3 picks and get them all, I would be in heaven. If we could get MC McCullen as well... what above being in heaven ?

Wizards add Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter, C.J. McCollum and Jeff Withey

Make it happen Ted/EG

I agree Porter and Withey would be an outstanding draft for us. I'm still disappointed that we can't / won't turn Vesely into something of value (maybe our second and Vesely for another first?).
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#1330 » by Rafael122 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:16 pm

hands11 wrote:

Really. Where ?

There was a huge Otto conversation about a mouth ago and several people liked him.

I didn't see you involved in that conversation.

Not here. Twitter. He's been slept on for practically the entire year, but he stepped up big time on national television. He doesn't really need another game like that to validate his lottery status. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts shooting up the draft boards during March Madness. I think Ford has him ranked 8th, around there, which is low.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1331 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 pm

hands11 wrote:

Jamison was drafted ahead of Vince Carter, and they were swapped on draft day. Roy and Foye were also swapped. If the Wizards luck out with top 5 pick at 4 or so, I think instead of going Zeller or McLemore or Shabazz, the Wizards could choose them and trade for Porter, who is projected to go around 8-10 right now.

Porter and Smart seem very low risk to me. If the Wizard chose Smart, I think they would not regret it, but it would be hard to justify passing on guys like Len and Porter.

If they get a high pick, that was more in line with what I have been posting only, trust me on this CCJ, get out early on Smart. He is not what you think he is going to be. Though he should be a good back up. Problem is, we need to draft eventual starters.

But you know what. Its a long ways way. Lots can happen between now and them. March Madness coming up. Wiz have a lot of games left.

Its really impossible to say exactly who to take at this point. But there are some good players I would gladly have on the team if they fit.

hands, Smart is better than Wall.
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#1332 » by queridiculo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:38 pm

I don't like Porter's lack of athleticism. His lack of size combined with his lack of lateral quickness is going to make a him a serious defensive liability in the pros. Looks like a college wunderkind, not a lottery pick to me.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1333 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:59 pm

queridiculo wrote:I don't like Porter's lack of athleticism. His lack of size combined with his lack of lateral quickness is going to make a him a serious defensive liability in the pros. Looks like a college wunderkind, not a lottery pick to me.

Porter is athletic enough. I don't think he has that Shawn Marion/Andre Kirilenko type of quick twitch athleticism, but he's at least as athletic as Tayshaun Prince, James Posey or Nicholas Batum. He's going to do just fine defensively in this league.

Also his stroke is pure. That 45% 3P percentage is no fluke. He can shoot it. He is extremely long too. He's got arms like Rudy Gay. I wonder if he will ultimately fill out and be a stretch four, or at least be able to steal some minutes at PF like Durant does.
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#1334 » by dandrews » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:17 pm

hands11 wrote:

hands, Smart is better than Wall.

...In your opinion. That's far from an absolute

And all this talk of getting one or two more lottery picks is hilarious considering the only two assets we have worth a first round pick are Wall and Beal, and they aren't going anywhere
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1335 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:24 pm

dandrews, of course you are right. I've been dead wrong more than a few times over the years.

I think Smart is a good player. There have been somewhat similar guys, like Jamont Gordon and Ronnie Brewer, who have turned out to be far from stars.

To say he's better than Wall is certainly a reach, but I like what he's doing as an 18-year old and I think there's a reason his team beat the Harrison twins' team for the Texas HS championship. He has two championships and OK State is a tough team.

Smart's defense and leadership stand out, but he could turn out to be a Quinn Buckner (sorry, but I'm old school) at the next level. I think he won't but time will tell. (hands could be right).
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1336 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:32 pm

I still think way too many people are sleeping on Trey Burke. I know he's diminutive and he doesn't play much D, but defense at the PG position isn't all that important anyhow. Defense in this league is primarily based on executing a good system and having good big men.

There has been too much success lately with highly skilled, undersized PG's for them to be ignored. Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Isiah Thomas, Ty Lawson, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry; the list goes on and on. These guys all do better in the pros than they did in college. The NBA game these days is perfect for this type of player with the handcheck rules and the quality perimeter shooting. There is just so much space to operate.

Draft Express has him going 17th. That's a steal. Trade both second rounders plus any combination of Booker, Vesely or Singleton to get him. I'd love to have him backing up Wall, and providing a 4th quarter option as a closer since Wall is so lousy in isolation. It would also improve our bargaining leverage when it comes time to resign Wall. (Or it gives us more flexibility to trade Wall.)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1337 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Totally agree on Burke, Nate. I have him as the 3rd best player in the draft. I find it hard to believe that the internet draft experts are right about him falling that far, but they were right about Lawson (actually, he fell - but not quite as far as most expected). Burke's actually a little bigger than Lawson and I think has a few inches in length on him - though not as super-quick as him. He really has the total offensive game, and I'm not concerned if he has 0.4 steals per 40 minutes less than someone else.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#1338 » by mhd » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:Totally agree on Burke, Nate. I have him as the 3rd best player in the draft. I find it hard to believe that the internet draft experts are right about him falling that far, but they were right about Lawson (actually, he fell - but not quite as far as most expected). Burke's actually a little bigger than Lawson and I think has a few inches in length on him - though not as super-quick as him. He really has the total offensive game, and I'm not concerned if he has 0.4 steals per 40 minutes less than someone else.

Burke will not fall past Utah, OKC (who could use a cheap backup PG and 6th man scoring type that allows Westbrook to move to SG). He'll be the 2nd PG after Smart.
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#1339 » by dandrews » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Here's a scouting report detailing Marcus Smart

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Mar ... port-4082/

He's strong, but he struggles finishing at the rim and against length. He shoots 29% from 3 and 40% overall. Not a great athlete and plays below the rim. Very solid defender though. I'm not seeing where it all translates into a potential all star.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#1340 » by Upper Decker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:31 pm

I actually think michael carter williams will be the 2nd pg taken, which will be a mistake. Big lumbering pg's died in the 90's. He's a poor shooter and I doubt he's quick enough to keep up with the super athlete pgs now a day.

Return to Washington Wizards