ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Re: ~~~2013 (DRAFT) thread ~~~tank it!! 

Post#61 » by WizarDynasty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 pm

poythress teams are going to start tanking really hard after a few more games from poythress. we will really need to build up that cushion Here is Nene having a set back with his foot and wall resting that knees for an additional two months. I think wall will love playing with poythress. Nba will rig the system this year to make sure we don't get that number one pick. Just the rules of the nba.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#62 » by Knighthonor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:03 am

Dat2U wrote:
dangermouse wrote:I can't believe you guys are worried about being good next year :o

You don't have to have a deep roster to be good. The 5 year rebuilding plan is a bunch of crap. From looking at recent rosters: Using last years rosters for example: you need either a

superstar + a very good player
(Orlando w/ Dwight + R.Anderson last year)
(LAC w/ Paul + Griffin)

or
4-5 good to/all-star quality players
(Bos with Garnett, Rondo, Pierce & Allen)
(Atlanta with Johnson, Horford, Smith & Crawford)
(Philadelphia with Iguodala, Willams, Holiday & T. Young)

To be an elite team you need to have a loaded gun (two superstars + another all-star) like
(Miami with Wade, LeBron & Bosh)
(OKC last year with Durant, Westbrook & Harden)

or a superstar and handful of very good players
(Lakers prior to last year with Kobe, Gasol, Bynum & Odom) or
(Chicago with Rose, Noah, Boozer & Deng).

The rest of these rosters are filled with role players. Guys in many cases, who's talents can be found on the cheap. You get your core group (when I say core, I'm not talking about 8 or 9 guys, I'm talking 3 or 4) and the role players are much easier to come by.

The Wizards currently have Wall who's been average up to now but I expect that will likely improve in time (once healthy). Nene would be on the list as well (if he could remain consistently healthy, lol). One would hope Beal can at least get to the point where he's one of the better SGs in a very shallow talent pool but it may not happen right away. The only other consideration is Seraphin who's shown extended flashes of solid play but struggles to get rebounds & draw fouls on a consistent basis.

So looking at the Wizards core we've got a hope, a gimp and two possibles.

And no one else on the roster is really worth consideration. Okafor & Ariza are capable role players in lesser roles but are grossly overpaid. The other young guns including Vesely, Booker, JCraw & Singleton are nothing more than role players in an absolute best case scenario. Then the rest of the roster is made up of minimum salary signings (Price, Webster, Martin, Livingston & Barron).

But back to being good next year. If Beal & Seraphin can continue to develop and if Wall can take his game to another level then the cupboard isn't really all that bare. Add in another top 5 pick and you've got another chance at adding a legit talent. The questions are with Nene and his availability along with the dead weight weight we acquired from the Hornets last offseason. The cap room eaten up by all that veteran influence is really constrictive in landing a potential difference maker outside of the draft (via trade or free agency).

Wizards have no superstar talent, nor all star talent.

Wizards been losing because they lack talent.

Show me star talent on the Wizards...
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#63 » by BruceO » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:09 am

dr positivity i think the wizards have already been down there to scout lebryan nash. i think at his current projected status he's a good pick. looks like artest and was nicknamed something in that relation. my interest also is in otto porter, poythrees, and anybody else who can play the 3. But also there are good bigs out there in zeller, len, noels and gobbert so we should be in range for a new c
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#64 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:12 am

:clap: We are all alone at the top in the tank race by 3 games. :(
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#65 » by No-Man » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:29 pm

If you get the 1#, right now, take Poythress.

Wall-Beal-Poythress, that line up looks good.
BruceO
Sixth Man

Post#66 » by BruceO » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 pm

a bunch of sf's a sg's available in the draft after this one though. if we plan correctly its better to pick one from that year. i think they project better
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#67 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:38 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:poythress teams are going to start tanking really hard after a few more games from poythress. we will really need to build up that cushion Here is Nene having a set back with his foot and wall resting that knees for an additional two months. I think wall will love playing with poythress. Nba will rig the system this year to make sure we don't get that number one pick. Just the rules of the nba.

Poythress is in a legit position to go top 2 IMO. Mainly because almost every bad team needs a SF. Wizards, Cavs, Kings, Raptors, Hornets, Magic, Phoenix all desperate for a franchise SF. Poythress and Goodwin are in fantastic position in the draft chessgame right now. 18 yr old Kentucky freshman with super physical tools (thus will be labelled star upside players), who play hard as hell, in a draft that isn't top heavy. UK could honestly have 3 of the first 5-7 prospects taken off the board. Poythress could leapfrog Shabazz just because prospects shine at UK so much more than at UCLA. I think there's even an longshot chance of UK topping last year and going 1-2-3 though I'm actually least confident in Noel's chances at getting picked top 3 of the trio

My favorite prospect in the draft is Alex Len. I think this guy has everything for a center prospect. He's a legit 7 footer who's one of the best shotblockers in college, looks very comfortable in the post and shooting it outside, and he looks extremely smooth and aware. He looks like he can do everything the Zellers can to me, except with more appealing physical tools (legit 7 footer size/length instead of the alligator arms Cody and Tyler have, and looks like a body that can fill out more). Reminds me of Pau. His production has also been awesome this year (something like 23 pts/10 rebs/4 blks per 36 minutes on great efficiency). If a team takes Noel over Len they are insane.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#68 » by Knighthonor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:38 am

come on where are our draft experts in this forum?!
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#69 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:05 am

Aaron Gordon in 2014, if we don't get the top 2 picks (Wiggins, Parker). Julius Randle and Tyus Jones are also sleepers for a top3 pick. There are so many SF prospects in 2014, we should take a big man next year. Len or Noel for me.
Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-cZTP ... re=related
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#70 » by mg » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:12 pm

I think Shabazz and Noel will be the clear top 2 picks by the end of the college season. Unfortunately Shabazz best position projects to be SG in the NBA. I like him alot but he's probably a tier below the top wings in the 2014 draft. Can't go wrong taking one of the bigs in the next draft. Len, Noel, Adams, Zeller will all be top 10 picks assuming they all declare. Honestly if fans are still talking about getting the #1 pick in 2014 then chances are Wall/Beal will bust as the backcourt of the future.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#71 » by Nivek » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Knighthonor wrote:come on where are our draft experts in this forum?!

Be the expert, Danny.

Be the expert.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#72 » by Earth2Ted » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:20 pm

I would love to get Olexiy Len in the draft (yes that is his real name). He's already up on Chad Ford's Top 5 on the strength of that Kentucky game.

You just have to believe that the Wiz are going to play themselves out of prime lottery position and that he will join a distinguished list of guys we could have used but got scooped up one pick before us, including Jonas Valanciunas, Roy Hibbert, Reggie Miller, etc, etc...
BruceO
Sixth Man

Post#73 » by BruceO » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Top four will be poythress, shabazz, zeller and nerlens Noel. I think poythress or shabazz should be our pick. Right now I have poythress ahead but shabazz can catch up. Incidentally these two players did the best in all American game for their sides. Cody zeller too isn't a bad choice. So if we dead last and sustain it we can get at least one of those players and add a scorer, then consolidate the young guys into another player and have four or five good starters
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran

Post#74 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:34 am

Nivek wrote:

Be the expert, Danny.

Be the expert.

:lol: I'm not into advanced metrics like you, I just go off of skill level and athleticism, but one thing that I can say is that I haven't seen a more dominant playmaker and athlete in high school than Wiggins since Lebron James.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran

Post#75 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:37 am

Shabazz is really a SG. At 6'6 he has the ideal size to play that position. What if we get the #1 pick and he's clearly the best player in the draft, should we pick him and worry about Beal being a backup or go with a big man?
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#76 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:44 am

I'm really liking Alex Len.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#77 » by hands11 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 pm

I just want to get my vote in early this year. Player X is going to be the bomb. We need to get him.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#78 » by Nivek » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:20 am

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:
Nivek wrote:

Be the expert, Danny.

Be the expert.

:lol: I'm not into advanced metrics like you, I just go off of skill level and athleticism, but one thing that I can say is that I haven't seen a more dominant playmaker and athlete in high school than Wiggins since Lebron James.

That wasn't directed at you -- it was a Caddyshack reference. :)

I'm all in favor of folks using whatever criteria they want to analyze. If your thing is skill and athleticism -- cool.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#79 » by daSwami » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 am

Aaron Craft is still my guy in some sort of trade down scenario. We'll need him after Wall's inevitable bolting for greener pastures.
:banghead:
Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Post#80 » by Mizerooskie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 pm

So, any chance the Janchise yields a mid-to-late first rounder? Would love to get one of Withey, Adams, or Nash along with Muhammed, Noel, Zeller, Len, or Poythress.

Return to Washington Wizards