Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#1241 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm

jmrosenth wrote:http://deadspin.com/5985621/have-you-had-your-victor-oladipo-moment-yet

:o The man's got no respect for the laws of physics.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1242 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:
jmrosenth wrote:http://deadspin.com/5985621/have-you-had-your-victor-oladipo-moment-yet

:o The man's got no respect for the laws of physics.

Yeah his dunks are spectacular. McLemore's too though. He threw down a breakaway in game 360. McLemore's a better athlete than Oladipo IMO. He can flat out fly.

I think there are big reasons for caution with Oladipo. First he's a junior who didn't do a whole lot his first two seasons. Second, he's playing on a GREAT team where he's the second best player behind another Naismith candidate and early Lotto pick.

It feels like Indiana has made a leap though. Zeller's always been good, but Oladipo and Watford have taken big steps forward this season and they've reinforced the notion they're the top team in the country.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#1243 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHeM9WPOqEI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP40u2pAtlU

Look at that suddenness and the body control and the leaping ability.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#1244 » by jmrosenth » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Dipo was doing a lot of this last year as well, except nobody was really paying attention. Sure, he's much better this year, but isn't that what you want to see out of a prospect? Someone who hasn't been hyped and has improved drastically? Shows he A. is willing to put in the work to improve B. is coachable and C. probably will get even better at his age.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1245 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm

jmrosenth wrote:Dipo was doing a lot of this last year as well, except nobody was really paying attention. Sure, he's much better this year, but isn't that what you want to see out of a prospect? Someone who hasn't been hyped and has improved drastically? Shows he A. is willing to put in the work to improve B. is coachable and C. probably will get even better at his age.

And this weekend showed a lot about star quality. In the last few minutes - when the game was on the line in their biggest game of the season - Oladipo made big play after big play - at both ends of the court. McLemore - playing in a very exciting 2ble OT game against Smart's OK State team - hardly even touched the ball when the game was on the line. And it's not like there's much of an age difference - they're both 20. I still like McLemore a lot, but Dipo's a star.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#1246 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
jmrosenth wrote:Dipo was doing a lot of this last year as well, except nobody was really paying attention. Sure, he's much better this year, but isn't that what you want to see out of a prospect? Someone who hasn't been hyped and has improved drastically? Shows he A. is willing to put in the work to improve B. is coachable and C. probably will get even better at his age.

And this weekend showed a lot about star quality. In the last few minutes - when the game was on the line in their biggest game of the season - Oladipo made big play after big play - at both ends of the court. McLemore - playing in a very exciting 2ble OT game against Smart's OK State team - hardly even touched the ball when the game was on the line. And it's not like there's much of an age difference - they're both 20. I still like McLemore a lot, but Dipo's a star.

McLemore isn't a star? He's one of the faces of college BBall and a Naismith candidate too. It's also only one game. McLemore has had big games where he's dropped 30+.

And despite the age difference McLemore is in just his first season and Oladipo is in his third. That's a big difference in experience level. And though Travis Releford is pretty good and Withey will get drafted somewhere, McLemore is the clear cut best player on that team and he doesn't have the surrounding cast Oladipo does. I don't think Oladipo is even the best player on his team.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1247 » by TGW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:36 am

McLemore isn't a star...he doesn't possess the ball-handling skills necessary to be a star. He'll be a decent player, but I think he'll struggle to create offense for himself in the NOOBA.

Oladipo probably won't be a star either, but his game is well-rounded enough to impact games without being able to create his own offense. I feel much better about his abilities translating to the NBA simply because I think he plays the game the right way, and he's just as explosive a leaper as McClemore.

Btw guys...I honestly think the pick is Otto Porter. I believe Webster is going to bolt for a better paycheck, and Ariza may opt out, which leave a gaping hole at small forward. Porter fits a need, he plays the game the right way, and he has the physical gifts to be a very good player in the NBA. Would absolutely LOVE Oladipo on this team but I don't see any way of getting him unless Wall or Beal is moved.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1248 » by TGW » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 am

That also has me wondering...who would you rather have: Beal or Oladipo? Beal has shown that he can get it done on the NBA level, and I believe he's actually younger than Oladipo. But VO has above-average defensive abilities now...after watching Beal get killed by an average shooting guard (Demar Derozan) the other night, it had me wondering if Beal has the ability to guard the taller guards with more length. I have no doubt that Oladipo would have slowed him down.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,158

Post#1249 » by AFM » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 am

Beal. By far.
Honestly, the shots Derozan was hitting were Kobe-esque if I remember correctly. Turn around fadeaways. I thought Beal did a fine job on him.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1250 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:05 am

I think Beal and Oladipo could coexist just fine. Oladipo can cover all the backup minutes at SG and steal a few minutes at SF. Hopefully, in time, Beal will be able to steal a few minutes at PG as well.
Da HomeTeam
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#1251 » by Da HomeTeam » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:08 am

Otto Porter.
R.I.P. #21 - Gone but not forgotten!
Terpman
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#1252 » by Terpman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 am

I'm still SOLD on James McAdoo being the best fit out there for Washington. He's the high BB-IQ SF version of Beal. We end up with McAdoo & I'll consider the entire offseason a success regardless.

Wall
BB
JMM
Nene
????
Next offseason we put our pick & the expirings of Okafor/Ariza into the FIND A CENTER basket...
We are the Washington BULLETS!
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1253 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 am

Lets jsut be happy that E.G. did not trade our first round un protected pick for Barbosa and Collins. lol
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#1254 » by stevemcqueen1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:29 am

AFM wrote:Beal. By far.
Honestly, the shots Derozan was hitting were Kobe-esque if I remember correctly. Turn around fadeaways. I thought Beal did a fine job on him.

Yeah DeRozan was on fire. That spin jumper was ridiculous.

Even when you properly contest a shot, it's what, a 30 point decline in shooting percentage? Meaning say a 46% shooter becomes a 43% shooter. And on a shot like that, the guy is going to create space no matter what you do.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#1255 » by stevemcqueen1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:39 am

TGW wrote:McLemore isn't a star...he doesn't possess the ball-handling skills necessary to be a star. He'll be a decent player, but I think he'll struggle to create offense for himself in the NOOBA.

Oladipo probably won't be a star either, but his game is well-rounded enough to impact games without being able to create his own offense. I feel much better about his abilities translating to the NBA simply because I think he plays the game the right way, and he's just as explosive a leaper as McClemore.

I don't know. I thought McLemore was a weak ball handler too but I think there is more with him than meets the eye. He's shown improvement over the course of the year.

Will he be a star in the NBA? I don't know. I still think his future might be as a super athletic role player. But he truly is a superb athlete and shooter. He's got a chance to be special.

But he's every bit the CBB star Oladipo is. If not more so. Flight 23 is must see TV.

I don't think Oladipo is as good a leaper as McLemore but that's my opinion. Don't think he's as fast either. That stuff will come out in the combine.

Bottom line though, neither player is overly skilled or creative. They're just good solid team first guys with plus athleticism. The only guys whose skill level really jumps out at me are Zeller and Muhammad.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#1256 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:58 am

It's Otto...defense, length, shooting, and can create better than he's getting credit for. We might be able to trade down and pick up a player while still drafting hm.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1257 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:16 am

Steve, stars don't disappear at the end of close games. That 2ble OT game v Ok State - McLemore completely disappeared, and even though Smart was having a tough game - he kept battling till the end. And the Indiana game - Oladipo was the embodiment of what a star is supposed to do.

As far as athleticism goes, when you include strength, Oladipo is at least as good an athlete as McLemore. Just because he's not shaped like the picture of the perfect athlete doesn't mean he isn't a great athlete. He does things on the court that indicate he is a great athlete - even if he has slumping shoulders and looks a bit heavy around the waist.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1258 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:45 am

TGW wrote:That also has me wondering...who would you rather have: Beal or Oladipo? Beal has shown that he can get it done on the NBA level, and I believe he's actually younger than Oladipo. But VO has above-average defensive abilities now...after watching Beal get killed by an average shooting guard (Demar Derozan) the other night, it had me wondering if Beal has the ability to guard the taller guards with more length. I have no doubt that Oladipo would have slowed him down.

Beals defense has actually been a pleasant surprise. Here's the short list of rookie guards who had a dRTG under 105 that played 30+ mpg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=1955&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&qual=&c1stat=def_rtg&c1comp=lt&c1val=105&c2stat=mp_per_g&c2comp=gt&c2val=30&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1259 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:42 am

jivelikenice wrote:It's Otto...defense, length, shooting, and can create better than he's getting credit for. We might be able to trade down and pick up a player while still drafting hm.

if we land the number one over all pick, i think we call the suns they should have 2 loto picks and we trade pack with them. but who knows, i doubt we get that pick... Some how some way, the league will magically find some how to give it to the Lakers, if not this year then next year. that and, if the kings move to Seattle there do to be handed a 1st overall to.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1260 » by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Top 2 picks are locked. It goes Noel then Shabazz. It's interesting that Griffin felt the need to come back for another year but Noel not. I guess Griffin wasn't guaranteed the #1 spot ahead of Rose, Beasley, Mayo but he would have competed with Love for a top 5 pick, no?
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards