Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#421 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:54 pm

Rocky, don't lose any sleep about Withey. He's a mid to late 1st rounder - so the chances of him going to Wash are slim or none. If he somehow slides to the 2nd round (highly unlikely), he'd be a great value there for the Wiz.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#422 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:12 pm

If we miss the first 2 picks then I'd love to package some of our talent and the pick towards picking up a 2014 pick, with that being likely though I'd go for the guys with the highest chance of making an immediate impact. Absolutely no projects. Guys with actual skills that we can use.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#423 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:25 pm

Ruzious wrote:1. Phil Pressey - my favorite college player to watch. I think he'll slip because of his lack o size. Perfect as a backup PG to run the other team into submission for spurts o minutes. And a phenominal passer. His shooting is inconsistent, but he does have 3 point range. He will be a crowd favorite.

I caught him in a game earlier this year. I really like him.

Undersized PG's are generally undervalued in this league. Lots of them, particularly the upperclassmen, are good enough to be quality backups right from the get-go. If nothing else, you get 3-4 years of serviceable play for peanuts, even if their upside is limited due to physical limitations.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#424 » by Dat2U » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:34 pm

Choosing b/w Shabazz Muhammad & Nerlens Noel is like picking b/w Tyson Chandler & Jerry Stackhouse.

Random future prediction #1 - when the athletic testing comes out, Cody Zeller will grade out as better athlete than expected.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#425 » by mhd » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:24 pm

Dat2U wrote:Choosing b/w Shabazz Muhammad & Nerlens Noel is like picking b/w Tyson Chandler & Jerry Stackhouse.

Random future prediction #1 - when the athletic testing comes out, Cody Zeller will grade out as better athlete than expected.

Isn't Shabazz a better shooter than Stack? Maybe Pierce is a better comparison for Shabazz?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#426 » by Dat2U » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:01 am

Maybe, but I don't see the polish in Shabazz's game that Pierce has. Very few NBA wings are as skilled as Pierce. Pierce always had a real mature game. Shabazz, like Stack is more of a straight line slasher & rhythm shooter. I could see Shabazz putting up huge scoring numbers in the NBA, but he looks like the high usage middling efficiency type to me. Better than a Monta Ellis or Jordan Crawford, but not quite at the level or efficiency of James Harden or Kobe.

That said, we need scoring and we need a 3. He'll be a very solid NBA starter for a long time. He's not the worst pick in the world. At #2 or later he's a fine pick.

I think the problem with this draft is that there is no #1. But there are solid starting quality NBA players to be found throughout.
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Re: ~~~2013 (DRAFT) thread ~~~tank it!! 

Post#427 » by Earth2Ted » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:08 am

Ruzious wrote:In general, take the BPA with the one caveat that if it's real close, don't take a guard.

My feeling right now on the draft is that there are 7 elite players - in order of quality:
1. Nerlens Noel....

Ruzious- good to see you back here, man.

What's your take on Anthony Bennett? His name is conspicuously absent from your list- and from most of the discussion in this thread.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Re: ~~~2013 (DRAFT) thread ~~~tank it!! 

Post#428 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 am

jangles86 wrote:Is Shabazz a 3?

He's most definitely a SG. He'll be overmatched guarding SFs in the NBA. Helluva efficient scorer though, exactly what the Wiz need.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#429 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 am

Any thoughts on Poythress? i haven't watched Kentucky much but he is top 10 in the mocks. Apparently he is bigger than Bazz, very athletic and also had a 3.9 GPA in hs. He could rise in the draft if he shows some perimeter skills.

Could be a big night for the tank. NOH has a chance to win in the 4th against Houston and the Cavs already beat the Hawks.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran

Post#430 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 am

Who is this Carl White kid from Florida State? He has absolutely dominated Charles Mitchell and Alex Len in the second half. Kid looks like a Kenneth Faried clone to me.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#431 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 am

Nivek wrote:Just took another look at Shabazz in YODA. His offensive efficiency is impressive, especially considering his high usage. His overall rating is consistent with that of a top 5-7 pick, but it isn't up there with #1-#1 picks. His rebounding is okay for a wing, but I do see some possible red flags in the numbers.

Specifically, low 2pt% (below 50% is bad), very low assists and steals, and zero blocked shots. His scoring volume and efficiency is impressive, though.

His overall score in YODA is about where Beal's was at the end of last season. I'd like to see him improve the non-scoring parts of his game as the season progresses.

As good as Shabazz scores, I think I like Marcus Smart better because of his elite defense. Ruz is much higher on Trey Burke, and I agree that Burke is putting up Chris Paul numbers. However, I think playing on a loaded Michigan team has somewhat elevated his stats.

What I like about Smart is he's one year younger than McLemore and Burke but he's hit the college scene as a guy who can rebound, steal at a prolific rate, and even block shots. Marcus Smart is the backcourt equal defensively to Nerlens Noel in the front court. Both are very prolific players.

Smart it the guy who I think is going to wind up being a multiple all star in the NBA. Shabazz Muhammed, Ben McLemore, and Cody Zeller are all going to be stars IMO. All Stars who we will be talking about for years and years. Tony Mitchell is a beast, too. Burke is certainly on par with a player like Darren Collison, but probably better. I don't think Alex Len is a world beater, but he should at the very least become a Rik Smits type player, probably better defensively.

The 2013 draft is IMO much stronger than 2012.
Bye bye Beal.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#432 » by Upper Decker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 am

I've watched the last two Terps games. Is Len really that impressive? I'll be honest, he's solid, and he's big, but with the buzz he's been getting I guess I just expected a little too much. I don't know how to describe him other than 'he's just a guy, albeit, a huge guy'. Tyler Zeller was more impressive at UNC.

Maryland went so ice cold all second half and were desperate for anything. You'd figure an all-American type player would take over, especially against some bean pole flailing freshman named Bojanovsky. If Len were the #2 prospect in the draft he should have dominated that chump. Nope. He was invisible. Really poor showing.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran

Post#433 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 am

Upper Decker wrote:I've watched the last two Terps games. Is Len really that impressive? I'll be honest, he's solid, and he's big, but with the buzz he's been getting I guess I just expected a little too much. I don't know how to describe him other than 'he's just a guy, albeit, a huge guy'. Tyler Zeller was more impressive at UNC.

Maryland went so ice cold all second half and were desperate for anything. You'd figure an all-American type player would take over, especially against some bean pole flailing freshman named Bojanovsky. If Len were the #2 prospect in the draft he should have dominated that chump. Nope. He was invisible. Really poor showing.

Agreed, but Maryland has some terrible guards. Peshon Howard has had a shocker. They just couldn't get the ball to their big men. As soon as their outside shooting went cold, their entire offense shut down and it was turnover upon turnover.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#434 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 am

If you are a Terrapin fan, perhaps this will go a ways toward convincing Len to stay another year.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#435 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 am

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:Who is this Carl White kid from Florida State? He has absolutely dominated Charles Mitchell and Alex Len in the second half. Kid looks like a Kenneth Faried clone to me.

He had a good 6 minute stretch, but I can't say I was impressed. Maryland just played horribly. They've got no point guard and nobody who can create when the offense goes stale. Wells looks he's been on a doughnuts and french fries diet at the Maryland dining hall.

Thanks for that, Earth2Ted. Bennett's definitely top 10. He's only 6'7 in shoes, but he's a legit PF with his length and power. I guess I don't put him in the top 7 because his game reminds me of Derrick Williams' - Even though he's built like a bull, his style seems more finesse than power.

Poythruss is another big-time talent searching for an identity. Is he a less selfish slightly shorter version of Terrence Jones? Actually he physically looks just like another former KY player - Jamal Mashburn. I think he'd really benefit from a second college season to develop perimeter skills, but that doesn't happen with KY players.

CCJ, yes Burke has good perimeter players around him (I especially like Robinson), but he is in complete control of the MIchigan offense and easily the main reason they are undefeated and perhaps the best team in the country. Comparing him to Collison tells me you haven't watched Michigan. because I know you're a better judge of talent than that. He's better than Collison in every facet of the game - and much stronger.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#436 » by miller31time » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 am

Upper Decker wrote:I've watched the last two Terps games. Is Len really that impressive? I'll be honest, he's solid, and he's big, but with the buzz he's been getting I guess I just expected a little too much. I don't know how to describe him other than 'he's just a guy, albeit, a huge guy'. Tyler Zeller was more impressive at UNC.

I've watched most of Len's games at UMD and I have never been terribly impressed by him.

He's definitely a good player and his height/length certainly can give teams fits, but he's still so raw offensively and has a lot of learning to do before being hyped as the "next" anything.

I wouldn't draft the guy anywhere near the top-5 and honestly, I don't know if I'd draft him in the top-10.

And this is coming from a huge Terp fan and Baltimore native.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#437 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 am

I think len could be a tyson chandler type guy.
But i want to know what you guys think about something.
if we get the number 1 pick. and a team with two picks gets the 2 spot are you ok with trading back with them to pick up their extra pick?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#438 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 am

What happen to the title ?

Tanking for Shabazz Muhammad . Nerlens Noel

2013 (DRAFT) thread ~~~tank it!!

Are they no longer tanking ?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,625

Post#439 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 am

If you're judging Len based on the outcome of the game tonight, I'd think you'll underrate him. If you're projecting him to be a franchise C you're overrating him.

He had a breakout game against Kentucky to kick off the season but really didn't live up to what could have been and has been merely good-not-great ever since. Of course Maryland has played mostly cupcakes since then and playing sub-30 mins. As such, it's hard to tell exactly how good he is but the picture will form more clearly once conference play is done with.
Bullets -> Wizards
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#440 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The 2013 draft is IMO much stronger than 2012.

This is probably the most I've ever disagreed with the "this is a bad draft!" proclamations. I think this is an excellent draft. Enough that I'm second guessing my rankings a little bit and wondering if I should grade harder, for having so many highly ranked players. I have Bennett, Len, Smart, Gobert, McLemore, Zeller, Austin, Nash, Leslie, Goodwin, MCW currently ranked as dynamic players with all-star upside. That seems like a lot. But I don't know who to drop if any. Bennett is the most dynamic guy in the draft to me pound for pound, that combination of speed, strength attacking the basket and the shooting/handling skill on the perimeter, is going to be impossible to deal with. I understand the concern about being 6'8 but if he's dunking on guys it doesn't worry me that much. I think Len and Zeller are near guarantees just because Cs who can do things offensively when you give it to them are so rare that they all start and stand out, advantage Len because he has defensive potential too. McLemore is putting up a 51/46/89 shooting statline including 61% from 3 and 97% from the line the last 8 games, with his athleticism this might be a Reggie/Ray situation brewing here. Smart and Nash look like a young Deron Williams and Rudy Gay to me, with Smart's size and vision and improving shooting, and Nash's size, athleticism, and smoothness. Except Smart seems like a much better leader than Deron, and Nash seems like twice the enigma Gay ever was, he's going to need a lot of sessions with Roy Hibbert's psychologist or the hypnotist that the Pistons used to wake up Drummond's motor. Gobert will scare the fanbase of who drafts him but is a 7'2/7'9 wingspan guy who's an excellent athlete, in a league increasingly moving towards speed and mobility defensively instead of strength guarding the post. He's also shooting like 80% from the field due to his awesome hands and looks like has decent IQ to me. I guess his upside could have Chandler's offensive game (high efficiency finishing) with 3 blocks per game D which might be the most valuable player in the whole draft. Austin honestly looks like a cross between pussy who needs a sandwich Dirk and pussy who needs a sandwich Kareem to me, if he puts it together and adds a little weight he could be one of the very best offensive bigs in the whole league IMO, he just looks like such a scoring natural. He might be the guy teams are shaking their heads over in shame 5 years from now in this draft. Goodwin has an almost Wade/Westbrook-like combination of explosiveness and ability to get into the paint which is the single most important thing for a wing, if he can add the perimeter shooting game consistently (it's not that bad now, really) his upside is enormous. MCW is another guy who's a jumpshot away from greatness, his speed, size and court vision/passing is so great that if he can add sticking a shot to it, he could be an elite PG for a long time. CJ Leslie also has a pretty huge upside to me. He definitely has a lot of red flags - not fully committed to being a PF instead of SF, called out for motor issues in the past, needs to shoot better. But this guy's athleticism and agility for a PF is elite, and IMO he has an elite smoothness and feel to his game. That combination of feel and athleticism makes him a beautiful player to watch IMO. 10 feet and in he reminds a lot of Bosh, his shooting stroke is far behind Chris' though. But I don't think it's out of the question this guy turns himself into Amare or Bosh

Return to Washington Wizards