Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: ~~~2013 (DRAFT) thread ~~~tank it!! 

Post#41 » by miller31time » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:37 am

I honestly see a lot of guys who play positions of need and could really help this team (and our road ahead).

Muhammed, Noel, Zeller, even guys like Poythress and McAdoo would be solid pickups.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#42 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:08 am

Why even hope for Muhammad when we know were going to get an unskilled Euro?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#43 » by dangermouse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:29 am

Has Zeller developed a mid range game yet?

If he has i'd take a look at him if we win the lotto. At worst i think he could be a wealthy man's Spencer Hawes, at best i think he could be a white LMA/Chris Webber/Chris Bosh type. He needs some muscle on that frame, but he is a smart guy i think he understands that, and i think he will fill out a bit.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#44 » by Knighthonor » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:32 am

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by miller31time » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:45 am

Knighthonor wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/21/138-point-game-jack-taylor-grinnell-basketball_n_2170944.html

Wow this dude got 138 points...

And 0 assists.

Impressive from an outward view. Everything that's wrong with basketball from a closer view.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#46 » by Halcyon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:53 am

REDardWIZskin wrote:This teams needs length IMO. Id go Zeller if he was there.

Pretty sure Zeller has alligator arms. His wingspan is only 6'8'', not sure what his standing reach is but his brother had a medicore standing reach at 8' 8.5" with a 7' wingspan...
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by miller31time » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:03 am

Halcyon wrote:
REDardWIZskin wrote:This teams needs length IMO. Id go Zeller if he was there.

Pretty sure Zeller has alligator arms. His wingspan is only 6'8'', not sure what his standing reach is but his brother had a medicore standing reach at 8' 8.5" with a 7' wingspan...

This team is in no position to draft based on positional need -- we need to draft the best basketball player.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#48 » by Halcyon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 am

But size matters in being the best basketball player at the center position...

I'm definitely going to track Polythress throughout the season, to see if he has any ability driving to the basket. Shabazz too obviously, but I'm fearful of his lack of work ethic.

Hopefully somebody rises to the top of this draft class, got nothing else to hope for.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#49 » by DMVleGeND » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:31 am

Halcyon wrote:But size matters in being the best basketball player at the center position...

I'm definitely going to track Polythress throughout the season, to see if he has any ability driving to the basket. Shabazz too obviously, but I'm fearful of his lack of work ethic.

Hopefully somebody rises to the top of this draft class, got nothing else to hope for.

Why do you think that?
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#50 » by Jay81 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:31 am

not really impressed with Zeller or Shahbazz at this point. Shahbazz is another guy with a weird hitch in his shot but he is probably a better fit for us than Zeller. I like Noel too....gives us something we lack
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by dangermouse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:37 am

miller31time wrote:
Knighthonor wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/21/138-point-game-jack-taylor-grinnell-basketball_n_2170944.html

Wow this dude got 138 points...

And 0 assists.

Impressive from an outward view. Everything that's wrong with basketball from a closer view.

"I never heard of nothing like that. That's like a video game," Anthony said, an incredulous look on his face. "How can you shoot 100 times, though?"

He joked that from now on when someone asks if he's taking too many shots, he'll mention "that someone shot it 108 times."

Raymond Felton also was astounded by the 108 shots.

"His elbow has got to be sore," Felton said.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is an impressive and historical feat. First ive heard of this guy though. That performance might warrant a 2nd round pick, but he'll probably end up in Europe, China, or the Bendigo Braves.

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#52 » by Illuminaire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:25 am

Eh. Don't be too shocked. Grinnel runs a crazy offensive system that can only work in lower level basketball. They take the first available 3-point shot, then press like crazy hoping for a steal. If they don't get one, they basically cede you a layup and go right back to taking the first available three. Meanwhile, the coach cycles in the bench almost like hockey lines in order to keep up the pace and force a ridiculous tempo.

The player in question is a 5'10 guard who can hit the college 3. That's basically it. He's not worth a 2nd round pick; this will probably be the high point of his basketball career. And it basically consisted of cherry picking threes for 36 minutes.
thinker07
Junior
And1: 75

Post#53 » by thinker07 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:33 am

Illuminaire wrote:Eh. Don't be too shocked. Grinnel runs a crazy offensive system that can only work in lower level basketball. They take the first available 3-point shot, then press like crazy hoping for a steal. If they don't get one, they basically cede you a layup and go right back to taking the first available three. Meanwhile, the coach cycles in the bench almost like hockey lines in order to keep up the pace and force a ridiculous tempo.

The player in question is a 5'10 guard who can hit the college 3. That's basically it. He's not worth a 2nd round pick; this will probably be the high point of his basketball career. And it basically consisted of cherry picking threes for 36 minutes.

And he didn't go back on defense and if he missed a shot and a teammate rebounded the ball, they'd pass up an open layup to pass back out to him to take another three ball. Basically a sham.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by Knighthonor » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:57 am

Is there a way for the Wizards to get a guaranteed #1 or 2 pick in next season's draft while holding current season lotto pick?

I was thinking.
Maybe this season the Wizards pick up Noel at center to play along side ether Nene or KS at Power Forward.

then next year get Andrew Wiggins or Parker to play Small Forward.

that way the roster lineup looks something like

1) Wall
2) ?
3)Wiggins|| Parker
4)Nene/KS
5)Noel

seem like a nice team there. what you all think?
CLIN
Junior
And1: 46

Post#55 » by CLIN » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:44 am

If only the wiz had a better shot at wiggins, at that point the team talent would override any offseason/coaching stupidity. I do feel like people are underrating shabazz, but damn noels would scare the hell outta me.

Unfortunately there's no way you can really successfully tank next year. Although I probably would've said the same about this year lol. But a lot is riding on a perfect tank this season. cuz if you don't land top 5, your gm will absolutely screwup the pick. no question.

And for all the talk about this draft being weaker than last with no cornerstone talent, you guys had the third pick and took bradley beal. I mean the post above me i think didn't even list beal on his future roster plans thing. Have you guys jumped off the beal bandwagon already? ur not thinking he's a cornerstone anymore? Or are you just referring to there being no one athony davis caliber? That i think i can agree with.

In dealing with beal, you gotta think like this. So much of success is opportunity. Kawhi leonard has been great for the spurs, but if he went to the wiz i bet he would suck. The wiz create a toxic atmosphere for all their picks that transcends their individual skill level. I mean, even the posters here are demoralized, imagine how the players feel. They gotta listen to their terrible coach fumble around with nonsense rotations they probably know suck. Damn i gotta play with vesely again? really?

Vesley starting over you has got to be such a slap in the face.

After writing this i realize i got slightly sidetracked oh well.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by dangermouse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:53 am

I can't believe you guys are worried about being good next year :o

Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by Knighthonor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:43 am

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98o3zkijKq8

Hey what's the selling point of Shabazz Muhammad ? Like what's the hype? There must be something. Fill me in.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#58 » by DMVleGeND » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Knighthonor wrote:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98o3zkijKq8

Hey what's the selling point of Shabazz Muhammad ? Like what's the hype? There must be something. Fill me in.

Keep in mind that he's not in game shape yet. He will look better as the season goes on.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#59 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Knighthonor wrote:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98o3zkijKq8

Wow I hope that's just a result of his game shape, he doesn't look nearly as athletic as I thought he would in that clip, he's playing like a fat PF in that clip. I'll give him time I guess.

I think they might have Shabazz and Le'Bryan Nash backwards. I remember watching this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_RPU8uaAY last year and thinking "Holy F, that guy looks like a perenn all-star, how come he sucks this year statistically?" Now in his sophmore season he's put it together by dropping like a 19/7/.64 TS% season so far and with two lotto talents in Nash and Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State could have a huge college season and we all know how the draft favors the players from the best college teams. If Nash and the Cowboys keep it up it wouldn't surprise me if he moves to the top 5 of mocks extremely quickly. He has a Rudy Gay like combination of size, athleticism, perimeter potential and smoothness/feel
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#60 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:19 pm

dangermouse wrote:I can't believe you guys are worried about being good next year :o

You don't have to have a deep roster to be good. The 5 year rebuilding plan is a bunch of crap. From looking at recent rosters: Using last years rosters for example: you need either a

superstar + a very good player
(Orlando w/ Dwight + R.Anderson last year)
(LAC w/ Paul + Griffin)

or
4-5 good to/all-star quality players
(Bos with Garnett, Rondo, Pierce & Allen)
(Atlanta with Johnson, Horford, Smith & Crawford)
(Philadelphia with Iguodala, Willams, Holiday & T. Young)

To be an elite team you need to have a loaded gun (two superstars + another all-star) like
(Miami with Wade, LeBron & Bosh)
(OKC last year with Durant, Westbrook & Harden)

or a superstar and handful of very good players
(Lakers prior to last year with Kobe, Gasol, Bynum & Odom) or
(Chicago with Rose, Noah, Boozer & Deng).

The rest of these rosters are filled with role players. Guys in many cases, who's talents can be found on the cheap. You get your core group (when I say core, I'm not talking about 8 or 9 guys, I'm talking 3 or 4) and the role players are much easier to come by.

The Wizards currently have Wall who's been average up to now but I expect that will likely improve in time (once healthy). Nene would be on the list as well (if he could remain consistently healthy, lol). One would hope Beal can at least get to the point where he's one of the better SGs in a very shallow talent pool but it may not happen right away. The only other consideration is Seraphin who's shown extended flashes of solid play but struggles to get rebounds & draw fouls on a consistent basis.

So looking at the Wizards core we've got a hope, a gimp and two possibles.

And no one else on the roster is really worth consideration. Okafor & Ariza are capable role players in lesser roles but are grossly overpaid. The other young guns including Vesely, Booker, JCraw & Singleton are nothing more than role players in an absolute best case scenario. Then the rest of the roster is made up of minimum salary signings (Price, Webster, Martin, Livingston & Barron).

But back to being good next year. If Beal & Seraphin can continue to develop and if Wall can take his game to another level then the cupboard isn't really all that bare. Add in another top 5 pick and you've got another chance at adding a legit talent. The questions are with Nene and his availability along with the dead weight weight we acquired from the Hornets last offseason. The cap room eaten up by all that veteran influence is really constrictive in landing a potential difference maker outside of the draft (via trade or free agency).

Return to Washington Wizards