ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: ~~~2013 (DRAFT) thread ~~~tank it!! 

Post#121 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 2, 2012 2:32 am

Mike, about Nerlens Noel, I didn't do my homework and I spoke before looking at the game numbers. My kids have youth sports and I was busy and did not watch Baylor beat UK. Noel only shot 3-14, but he did have 16 rebounds, 6 steals, 1 block, and only 2 turnovers to go with (just) 8 points. That stat line alone suggests to me he is terrific on defense but very limited offensively. Noel is not a complete player.

Kentucky shot 21-71, or 29.6% FG for the game. Kyle Wiltjer shot 1-11FG and Ryan Harrow shot 1-9 FG. Archie Goodwin had 5 turnovers and committed 5 fouls, to go along with 7-12 FT shooting, which is not good for a swing man. The Cats shot 9-18 FT, Bears 14-18 FT. The bad shooting, some worse than Noel's is more responsible for Kentucky losing.

If I could repost, I would say Noel's profile might be like that of Derrick Favors. He will be a great defender at some point moving forward.
Bye bye Beal.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#122 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Dec 2, 2012 3:16 am

Now that David stern retiring do we have a chance at a top 2 or 3 pick again? Wizards worst team in nba i rooting for other bad teams to win and wizards to lose so we can have the advantage in the draft.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
RealGM

Post#123 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 2, 2012 3:16 am

This season Kentucky is suffering from one-and-done-itis. This group might be collectively ranked just as highly as the last UK team, but they don't play nearly as well together.

Anthony Davis is much better than Noel ever will be and there is no Kidd-Gilchrist type emotional leader on this team. They have Noel, Poythress, Goodwin, Wiltjer, and Harrow--all NBA prospects--but today, the Wildcats only scored 55 points. The scouting report is out on UK, they are young and inexperienced and can be beat up inside, and if you zone them they have a hard time beating athletic teams. Notre Dame and now Baylor (from what I read) applied a zone and the Wildcats could not his shots.

I think whenever so many great McDonald's AAs are on one team, if the PG isn't a real strong leader and if they don't move the ball and work for good shots, what will happen is they will resort to playing hero ball.

I know UK will be better at the end of the season, but I will be very surprised if Calipari gets this team past the Sweet-16 or the Elite-8.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#124 » by Dat2U » Sun Dec 2, 2012 4:47 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Mike, about Nerlens Noel, I didn't do my homework and I spoke before looking at the game numbers. My kids have youth sports and I was busy and did not watch Baylor beat UK. Noel only shot 3-14, but he did have 16 rebounds, 6 steals, 1 block, and only 2 turnovers to go with (just) 8 points. That stat line alone suggests to me he is terrific on defense but very limited offensively. Noel is not a complete player.

Kentucky shot 21-71, or 29.6% FG for the game. Kyle Wiltjer shot 1-11FG and Ryan Harrow shot 1-9 FG. Archie Goodwin had 5 turnovers and committed 5 fouls, to go along with 7-12 FT shooting, which is not good for a swing man. The Cats shot 9-18 FT, Bears 14-18 FT. The bad shooting, some worse than Noel's is more responsible for Kentucky losing.

If I could repost, I would say Noel's profile might be like that of Derrick Favors. He will be a great defender at some point moving forward.

I get a Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah vibe from Nerlens Noel. I think he'll be a very good defensive center. He also seems like he's got solid passing instincts but is offense will always be limited.

I think that's worth a top 5-ish pick IMO but no he's not in Anthony Davis' class and he doesn't have the all-around offensive game to warrant an overall #1 pick selection.

It's hard for me to pinpoint a #1 pick from this draft.

Right now I'd have to say Alex Len may be the best option. He looks like a more aggressive, better rebounding version of Brook Lopez.

I get the volume scorer/shooter vibe from Shabazz Muhammad. Sorta like a Jerry Stackhouse type. Not a franchise level wing player. Just another wing player who can score 20 pts a night if he gets enough shots. I'm not sure he's skilled or athletic enough to be considered elite.

Alex Polythress physical profile reminds me a lot of Thaddeus Young. I think he's more of a productive, athletic undersized 4 than a big 3 with limited skill.

I have no feel for Rudy Goubert as of yet. Seems like a long term prospect with a high bust potential. Very much an Ernie Grunfeld type of selection.

Archie Goodwin reminds me of a cross b/w Larry Hughes & Jamal Crawford.

I don't like James McAdoo at all. Have never understood the hype. Seems like tweener to me. Overrated athleticism and skill.

Cody Zeller seems like a safe pick if your not drafting #1. Wondering how his defense and ability to finish around the rim will translate to the next level. I want him to expand his range offensively before I'm totally sold on him. The performance of his brother Tyler in the NBA thus far dims my opinion of Cody just a bit.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#125 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:03 am

Who should we draft?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#126 » by Dat2U » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:07 am

Right now I'd say Alex Len. Then maybe try to pawn off Seraphin for another lottery pick or another young player. I like CCJ's target, C.J. McCollum in the late lottery as a potential scoring guard off the bench in a 6th man role or maybe even as a starter next to Wall while Beal slides into the 6th man/3rd guard role. Either way, a backcourt of Wall, Beal & McCollum sounds pretty good to me.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#127 » by mhd » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:44 am

I've got Len as my #1 rated prospect and its not close. At worst, he'll be a Roy Hibbert type, except he's way more athletic and fluid than Roy is.
RealGM

Post#128 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 2, 2012 8:21 am

Dat2U wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Mike, about Nerlens Noel, I didn't do my homework and I spoke before looking at the game numbers. My kids have youth sports and I was busy and did not watch Baylor beat UK. Noel only shot 3-14, but he did have 16 rebounds, 6 steals, 1 block, and only 2 turnovers to go with (just) 8 points. That stat line alone suggests to me he is terrific on defense but very limited offensively. Noel is not a complete player.

I get a Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah vibe from Nerlens Noel. I think he'll be a very good defensive center. He also seems like he's got solid passing instincts but is offense will always be limited.

I think that's worth a top 5-ish pick IMO but no he's not in Anthony Davis' class and he doesn't have the all-around offensive game to warrant an overall #1 pick selection.

It's hard for me to pinpoint a #1 pick from this draft.

Right now I'd have to say Alex Len may be the best option. He looks like a more aggressive, better rebounding version of Brook Lopez.

I get the volume scorer/shooter vibe from Shabazz Muhammad. Sorta like a Jerry Stackhouse type. Not a franchise level wing player. Just another wing player who can score 20 pts a night if he gets enough shots. I'm not sure he's skilled or athletic enough to be considered elite.

Alex Polythress physical profile reminds me a lot of Thaddeus Young. I think he's more of a productive, athletic undersized 4 than a big 3 with limited skill.

I have no feel for Rudy Goubert as of yet. Seems like a long term prospect with a high bust potential. Very much an Ernie Grunfeld type of selection.

Archie Goodwin reminds me of a cross b/w Larry Hughes & Jamal Crawford.

I don't like James McAdoo at all. Have never understood the hype. Seems like tweener to me. Overrated athleticism and skill.

Cody Zeller seems like a safe pick if your not drafting #1. Wondering how his defense and ability to finish around the rim will translate to the next level. I want him to expand his range offensively before I'm totally sold on him. The performance of his brother Tyler in the NBA thus far dims my opinion of Cody just a bit.

Tyler had his first double-double tonight in a win over the Blazers. Meyers Leonard had 2 points, 2 rebounds. It is really early for the younger prospects. Drummond averages 6 and 6 but I believe it is only a matter of time before he is a beast. I am disappointed in Will Barton's start, which has been much slower than Tyler Zeller's. However, it is very early. The guys who are pressing for minutes and those who are physically overwhelmed will take time to show they can play--if they can play.

Dat, I agree with you on James McAdoo. Like Austin Rivers, he has a famous name. I don't think he has much game at all.

Goodwin really does play a bit like Hughes.

I like Len and know that he can play. He is Tim Duncan on Slim Fast, diet pills, and also poor. Feed him and give him some NBA training and competition and I think he's going be a stud. Remember how I wanted McGee with Seraphin in the frontcourt? Imagine Nene with Len.

Mason Plumlee broke the Duke dunk record. Brand and Boozer have had long, successful NBA careers. So will Plumlee, who I think will be a solid starter in the NBA. Not to compare him only to white players, but Plumlee is more agile than Nick Collison, bigger than David Lee, and the same kind of athlete.

C.J. McCollum and Top Offensive Players Who Will Continue to Dominate

There are some other backup PG types I am monitoring in this draft: Isaiah Canaan, Ray McCallum, and before he got hurt, Tim Frazier.
Bye bye Beal.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,217

Post#129 » by MikeTheKid » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:13 am

Something to note, I think we still haven't seen the best Plumlee yet. Marshall Plumlee the youngest of the Plumlees is hurt at the moment and won't be available until the end of Dec./early Jan. but I hear has the best upside of all the Plumlees, the athleticism of Miles and the skills of Mason. I guess that's what happens when your the youngest and you can learn from the other 2. As far as Mason Plumlee, CCJ stole the guy I thought of when I see him play and that's a taller David Lee, rebounds, finishing around the basket but can block shots at the rim.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#130 » by Knighthonor » Sun Dec 2, 2012 11:13 am

Listen here.

Idea:

Trade this year's lotto pick for a next season lotto pick.
Tank again, and get two lotto picks in next year draft. can get Wiggins and Parker!!!

opinions: ?

just came up with that idea a few hours ago.

any flaws? lets kink them out!!
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#131 » by BruceO » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:14 pm

lebryan nash is someone also that needs to be discussed. he's not in our draft range but was an all american and gets to the freethrow line alot. improved his percentages from last season.. we can trade into his slot. also defensively how are the C prospects? pick and roll, shot blocking and man defense. nerlens should be the standout but the rest?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,155

Post#132 » by AFM » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:27 pm

Knighthonor wrote:Listen here.

Idea:

Trade this year's lotto pick for a next season lotto pick.
Tank again, and get two lotto picks in next year draft. can get Wiggins and Parker!!!

opinions: ?

just came up with that idea a few hours ago.

any flaws? lets kink them out!!

Only about a hundred.
Lets tank for another 2 years and bet everything on 2 17 year olds. Assuming we even get the #1 and #2 pick which would be almost impossible.
Back to reality
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,155

Post#133 » by AFM » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:29 pm

What does everyone think of CJ Leslie? He played with Wall in HS
http://nbadraft.net/players/cj-leslie
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#134 » by DMVleGeND » Sun Dec 2, 2012 10:46 pm

I've watched almost every MD game this yr. I gotta say that I like Alex Len a lot. When he gets drafted, don't expect him to set the world on fire right off the bat. He's still pretty raw, and even though he's added weight to his frame, could still stand add some more, but he has a very good understanding of the game, great physical tools, and is still very young. He doesn't have the most advanced post repertoire, but he has shown flashes of of post skills. His hook shot over the left shoulder is effective, and in a game vs. Northwestern, he made a Rondo fake lay-up pivot move. Most bigs can't do that. And he's a huge target for the entry pass. Defensively, he's solid man-to-man, but he needs to improve his PnR defense. He's athletic enough to hedge, but he's too slow to recover most times. Still, he's a great shot-blocker, and even if he doesn't block the shot, he can still impact them with his length ala McGee. He's my favorite out of all the prospects I've seen so far.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#135 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 12:18 am

I think McCollum from a pure talent perspective is worth drafting as a 3rd guard but he's ranked at 12th and late lotto is probably too low for us to be looking especially when we can be much better served by one of the 3-4 legitimate C's available.

The syracuse guard - Michael Carter-Williams is more my speed. A legit 6'4 and pure passing mentality. That's fantastic. He'll be a pro for a very long time coming. Antonio Daniels 2.0 at the least. He'll be available in the later picks depending on how low he drops and how much we offer (booker/vesely + cash).
Bullets -> Wizards
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#136 » by Knighthonor » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:25 am

BruceO wrote:lebryan nash is someone also that needs to be discussed. he's not in our draft range but was an all american and gets to the freethrow line alot. improved his percentages from last season.. we can trade into his slot. also defensively how are the C prospects? pick and roll, shot blocking and man defense. nerlens should be the standout but the rest?

He good, but he a pF. Wizards IMO have a young franchise PF in KS. They need a real deal C to go with him, along with a star wing player.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#137 » by BruceO » Mon Dec 3, 2012 11:29 am

i don't think lebryan nash will be an nba powerforward. He'll be a wing. people liken him to ron artest..he has speed to defend the wing and athleticism and strength.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#138 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 3:40 pm

LBN could go either Derrick Williams or MKG. Either way, I wouldn't put the franchise label on him. Cody Zeller is closer and he's not a sure thing either.
Bullets -> Wizards
RealGM

Post#139 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 3, 2012 4:02 pm

LeBryan Nash and his teammate Marcus Smart are both future NBA studs, IMO. I am more excited about Smart, but Nash does get to the line a bunch and is a beast.

I have missed more on SF/PF tweener types going to the next level probably than any other position. Getting to the line in the NCAAs might not translate well to the next level, but rebounding does.

Cody Zeller I believe will be a very good NBA player. I consider him a sure thing, pancakes. As a freshman his team beat Kentucky, and Cody played Anthony Davis on pretty even terms. He's going to be a very solid pro IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#140 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 4:39 pm

Regarding Zeller, solid pro, yes. Franchise is another question. Starting from the bottom up, is it a sure thing that he'll be good? Certainly. Jason Thompson, Josh Smith, and Paul Millsap are good. Will he be really good? Can he be Elton Brand, Paul Gasol, or Kevin Love? I don't think that's as sure footing.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards