ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#1481 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'm not against drafting another PG, and I'm still supporting & hoping Wall can address his issues. Whether you want to keep Wall or not, we could use another PG. Not a backup PG. A 3rd guard or combo guard to slide b/w both positions. Someone that should be capable of playing with Wall or Beal. Someone capable of playing 24-28 minutes a night consistently. Ideally someone that has a good outside stroke as well.

So that would kind of eliminate Smart even tho I like him because he's raw like Wall was/is. That would mean C.J. McCollum would be a good candidate. Maybe even Trey Burke.

A guy like Michael Carter-Williams tho would be a bad fit because his skillset is too similar to Wall with no where near the upside.

A guy in the mold of Jarrett Jack.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1482 » by Nivek » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 pm

queridiculo wrote:
To me the Wizards have no choice but to wait out Wall's development. That doesn't mean that they can't have a contingency plan. If Smart drops, by all means acquire another draft pick, but let's also keep a close eye on what's going to happen with Eric Bledsoe.

The problem is that time is running out on the "wait and see" strategy. Wall is in his third season. Wizards have him for sure next year on his rookie option. At that point, they have to negotiate a new contract with him -- how much, how many years...

They could still wait until next year's trade deadline, but that's an option with its own hazards. If Wall comes back improved, then great. Either he's a good guy to keep, or he increases his trade value. If it's more of the same...then his trade value likely drops.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1483 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:If I was the football coach at Oklahoma State, I'd be begging smart to play safety. He's got perfect size, physicality, instincts, and attitude.

Play him on offense. With his hands and body control he'd be a king sized WR. Same as Wade and Wall though he's not as fast as them.

The kind of hitting you give and take in football is an entirely different animal from bball though. Being physical in bball doesn't mean you can handle the contact of football. I think there are probably very few NBA players who could hold up physically in the CFB or the NFL.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#1484 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Nivek wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
To me the Wizards have no choice but to wait out Wall's development. That doesn't mean that they can't have a contingency plan. If Smart drops, by all means acquire another draft pick, but let's also keep a close eye on what's going to happen with Eric Bledsoe.

The problem is that time is running out on the "wait and see" strategy. Wall is in his third season. Wizards have him for sure next year on his rookie option. At that point, they have to negotiate a new contract with him -- how much, how many years...

They could still wait until next year's trade deadline, but that's an option with its own hazards. If Wall comes back improved, then great. Either he's a good guy to keep, or he increases his trade value. If it's more of the same...then his trade value likely drops.

I disagree time is running out on Wall since he's only 22 and in the middle of his third season.

And I doubt you could pick a worse time to trade him than this offseason.

I don't think his future contract is something to get all that anxious about. I think he'll get what he earns and he's very unlikely to sign somewhere else if we want to keep him.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#1485 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:14 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'm not against drafting another PG, and I'm still supporting & hoping Wall can address his issues. Whether you want to keep Wall or not, we could use another PG. Not a backup PG. A 3rd guard or combo guard to slide b/w both positions. Someone that should be capable of playing with Wall or Beal. Someone capable of playing 24-28 minutes a night consistently. Ideally someone that has a good outside stroke as well.

So that would kind of eliminate Smart even tho I like him because he's raw like Wall was/is. That would mean C.J. McCollum would be a good candidate. Maybe even Trey Burke.

A guy like Michael Carter-Williams tho would be a bad fit because his skillset is too similar to Wall with no where near the upside.

I think a vet player is a better option than a rookie for filling the role you're talking about. It'd be nice to have a good decision maker from the get go and someone who can be a mentor for Wall. Also rookies generally do not shoot well as a rule. Curry and Irving are two of the only ones I can think of recently.

But if we can't afford a vet and have to use a draft pick, you're right, McCollum or Burke are the best options. All the other top SGs are 2/3 tweeners, not combo guards IMO.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1486 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:If I was the football coach at Oklahoma State, I'd be begging smart to play safety. He's got perfect size, physicality, instincts, and attitude.

Play him on offense. With his hands and body control he'd be a king sized WR. Same as Wade and Wall though he's not as fast as them.

The kind of hitting you give and take in football is an entirely different animal from bball though. Being physical in bball doesn't mean you can handle the contact of football. I think there are probably very few NBA players who could hold up physically in the CFB or the NFL.

Yeah, my thinking is he's got a defensive player's mentality much moreso than offensive - and he's definitely got a football player's mentality (I don't think Wall does.). If you're old enough to remember Quinn Buckner from Bobby Knight's heyday - he was the same kind of player - only a bit smaller. He was actually drafted by an NFL team that wanted him to play safety.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards