Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#501 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 pm

nuposse04 wrote:I see no reason to trade Beal to the Bobcats. Cause lets be honest if u guys land the number 1 pick, you'll take shabazz, not Beal. Beal isn't going anywhere so other teams shouldn't really consider it, no offense intended.

I don't know who the Wiz will pick if they get the no 1 pick, but I feel confident in saying they should pick Nerlens Noel. I've seen 5 KY games this season, and every time, I'm more impressed (and unfortunately can't say that about the other KY freshmen). It's fun to watch a great talent developing into a great player. And, he's just going to get better - as he gets bigger and stronger. His combo of athleticism/size, intensity/determination, work ethic (He's gained more than 10 lbs of muscle this season already.), defensive instincts, and clearly improving offensive game make it an easy choice, imo. And I like Shabbazz - a great pure scorer, but he's got to do something besides scoring. Set up a teammate every once in a while. Get a steal, a block, something. Some people are starting to catch on about Burke, but he's still so underrated in the mocks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#502 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm

JMAC, it looks like Beal is close to untouchable - at least at this point. Everyone loves his intangibles, and he appears to be breaking through on court after a very slow (as expected) start. Personally, I would trade him even up for McLemore (who will be a stud in the NBA), but I don't make the decisions.

I think you guys should keep the pick, and even if you trade it - I don't think the Wiz are likely trade partners.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#503 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Maybe not beal but may we interest you in a gently used jordan crawford + a second rounder??
Bullets -> Wizards
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#504 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Bobcats follower here.

I am just checking on how you guys like Bradley Beal thus far and where you see his career heading. I was a pretty big fan of his going into the draft, but it was hard to draft him with the logjam at SG we have heading into this year. Also, I am extremely happy with us landing MKG who I think is going to be a great player once his jumper improves some.

We currently have one of the worst records right now in competition with you guys for that top pick, but there has been some recent news we could be interested in trading the pick. Obviously there are a ton of targets for us to look into.

What would it take to land Beal from you guys?

We have our pick, rights to Portland and Detroit picks pending protection. Would try to avoid trading MKG and Kemba, but pretty much everybody else would be available for right price. We also, have expiring contracts to possibly get you out of a bad contract.

I didnt know how you guys feel about possibly landing two of these guys: Shabazz, Mclemore, Zeller, Noel, Len, or Bennett.

I just don't see any realistic scenario in which Beal gets traded. He has really exploded over the past 6 games and his confidence is sky high after hitting the game winner against OKC. He's extremely young (19), has a great attitude and work ethic, and he is already playing like a legit starter in this league. I'd say his floor is now that of an above-average starter like a Rip Hamilton or Eddie Jones type of player. His upside ceiling is James Harden or Mitch Richmond. Teams just don't trade guys like that.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#505 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:JMAC, it looks like Beal is close to untouchable - at least at this point. Everyone loves his intangibles, and he appears to be breaking through on court after a very slow (as expected) start. Personally, I would trade him even up for McLemore (who will be a stud in the NBA), but I don't make the decisions.

I think you guys should keep the pick, and even if you trade it - I don't think the Wiz are likely trade partners.

I would trade Bradley Beal for McLemore or Marcus Smart. Perhaps I would trade Beal for a healthy CJ McCollum, also.

Outside of those guys, I wouldn't not trade him for any other small in this draft. I love Beal's character, composure for his age, and the way he is a grinder who improves over time. He is figuring things out. That two-hand jam from the baseline against the Nets showed me something. He's also not afraid of the big shot. His defense is sound and he can get his shot off. All of this for a 19-year old is pretty good stuff. Plus, let's face it, he has charisma and intelligence not unlike RG3. Beal is just really young. Give him time. Those other guys, however, have the total goods.

McLemore and Smart are beasts and future superstars IMO. Smart isn't as fluid an athlete but when I see him I think about Kidd, Tony Allen, Kyle Lowry, DeShawn at his best -- Smart is commanding and pesky in a way that wins games. McLemore makes you think of MJ crossed with prime Sprewell, but more of a shooter at this phase.

McCollum seems to be somewhere between Steph Curry and Damian Lillard. I think McCollum can be an NBA starting PG day one. He's going to score a ton of points in the NBA. He is a sneaky, good rebounder. He's one of my favorite players. It will be interesting to see how well he rehabs and grades out in predraft workouts.

Beal is a grinder and those three, so far, are the only perimeter types I like better for sure in this draft than Beal.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#506 » by Dat2U » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm

It's funny that two of the board's favorite potential draftees in McLemore & Bennett are the two of three guys (aling with Goubert) that give me the most concern at the top of the draft.

Both Bennett & McLemore strike me as older freshman (both will be 20 in March) with big time flaws that will be exposed on the next level. McLemore has remedial handles for a SG. He's likely headed for an NBA career as a 3&D guy. Not someone worthy of a top 3 pick. Bennett is stuck in between positions and effort wise is a poor defender. He reminds me a lot of Michael Beasley in his offensive skillset, size & overall indifference defensively. Bennett is also an inconsistent shooter who will likely try to make a full time transition to SF. I don't see that move being wildly successful either.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#507 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I would trade Bradley Beal for McLemore or Marcus Smart. Perhaps I would trade Beal for a healthy CJ McCollum, also.

Outside of those guys, I wouldn't not trade him for any other small in this draft. I love Beal's character, composure for his age, and the way he is a grinder who improves over time. He is figuring things out. That two-hand jam from the baseline against the Nets showed me something. He's also not afraid of the big shot. His defense is sound and he can get his shot off. All of this for a 19-year old is pretty good stuff. Plus, let's face it, he has charisma and intelligence not unlike RG3. Beal is just really young. Give him time. Those other guys, however, have the total goods.

McLemore and Smart are beasts and future superstars IMO. Smart isn't as fluid an athlete but when I see him I think about Kidd, Tony Allen, Kyle Lowry, DeShawn at his best -- Smart is commanding and pesky in a way that wins games. McLemore makes you think of MJ crossed with prime Sprewell, but more of a shooter at this phase.

McCollum seems to be somewhere between Steph Curry and Damian Lillard. I think McCollum can be an NBA starting PG day one. He's going to score a ton of points in the NBA. He is a sneaky, good rebounder. He's one of my favorite players. It will be interesting to see how well he rehabs and grades out in predraft workouts.

Beal is a grinder and those three, so far, are the only perimeter types I like better for sure in this draft than Beal.

Don't overlook Beal's unselfishness and willingness to move the ball. The ball NEVER sticks to Beal. Over the long run, that's really going to help promote better teamwork. Beal is the kind of guy who can blend into any system without detracting from teammates. You gotta watch out for some of these alpha guards who need to dominate the ball if they do so with average or lower efficiency. Oftentimes, they can put up numbers in such a way that doesn't help the team. Think Corey Maggette, Tyreke Evans, and Demarr Derozan.
RealGM

Post#508 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Dat2U wrote:It's funny that two of the board's favorite potential draftees in McLemore & Bennett are the two of three guys (aling with Goubert) that give me the most concern at the top of the draft.

Both Bennett & McLemore strike me as older freshman (both will be 20 in March) with big time flaws that will be exposed on the next level. McLemore has remedial handles for a SG. He's likely headed for an NBA career as a 3&D guy. Not someone worthy of a top 3 pick. Bennett is stuck in between positions and effort wise is a poor defender. He reminds me a lot of Michael Beasley in his offensive skillset, size & overall indifference defensively. Bennett is also an inconsistent shooter who will likely try to make a full time transition to SF. I don't see that move being wildly successful either.

Dat, I wonder about McLemore moving laterally. He seems like the human, athletic equivalent of a cheetah and is similar to John Wall on the break. Nobody's outrunning McLemore or out jumping him. McLemore's catch-and-shoot skills combined with elite athleticism have him at #1 on both draft express' and nbadraft.net's mocks. Do you think it is McLemore's handle is that weak? I think he's a long-strider but not a guy who moves laterally that quickly. McLemore looks on film a lot like MJ minus the elite dribbling--which is what I think you're getting at, Dat. That would be exposed when it comes to breaking down other players in the NBA. If he can't do it in college Ben McLemore won't at the next level. Without improved handles, he won't be able to cross up players, or get them backing up on their heals, while McLemore is getting to the rim. Thus, you could be right he'll be more of a 3 & D NBA player.

You mention his age, I think his academics would be the red flag for me. How well rounded is McLemore? Without that drive to excel early on will he develop as a pro? My gut says McLemore will develop his handle and become a superstar--but I could be wrong. I don't know enough about him, yet.

My favorite players are Smart, McCollum, and McDermott. Even though I know he's not a world beater, I would love to see the Wizards draft Alex Len because he has feisty temperament. I think he's about to break out as a scorer, too. At his height he can do some things to become a very special player.

Dat, i agree totally on Goubert. He's got to get stronger.

One guy I need to watch more closely is Isaiah Austin. I don't want to like him because I remember Ike Austin. :)
Bye bye Beal.
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#509 » by dandrews » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 pm

All this talk of trading Beal is asinine, as well as pointless. He wasn't going anywhere for James Harden. He sure as hell isn't being traded for CJ McCollum
RealGM

Post#510 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:02 pm

dandrews, when you see these players in a few years get remember what you're saying right now.

I like Beal a lot but I remember what McCollum did to Duke and Austin Rivers, in particular. McCollum was averaging around 25 points a game before he broke his foot. He's proven himself and I think he's just as good as Seth Curry, potentially. In this past draft I said Iike Beal at #3 but I believe I would trade down for #6 and pick Damian Lillard. Would you trade Beal for Lillard? (In fairness, Lillard is 22 and Beal 19)

As far as Smart is concerned I like him more than Beal. Period. Smart is an absolute beast who has won state HS championship over the Harrison Twins. Smart at 18 years old is already an elite talent. Better then Beal, no doubt in my mind.

That said, I like Beal and have never worried about his shooting. Check the Beal thread. Even at the height of his struggles I've said I like him. I just like certain players even more.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#511 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Would you trade Beal for Lillard? (In fairness, Lillard is 22 and Beal 19)

I would not, because of their respective ages. At age 22, I'm pretty confident Beal will be dominating as much as Lillard is now.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#512 » by Halcyon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:06 pm

I would not because...Wall is at PG.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#513 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Halcyon wrote:I would not because...Wall is at PG.

Can't disagree there. Lillard could play the 2 with Wall - because of Wall's size, but Beal's a better fit for Wall, imo. And is there any doubt that - in Ted's mind - the team's future revolves around Wall?

Now, if you're talking about Lillards' teammate, Will Barton, that's a tough one. :wink:
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#514 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:16 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Would you trade Beal for Lillard? (In fairness, Lillard is 22 and Beal 19)

I would not, because of their respective ages. At age 22, I'm pretty confident Beal will be dominating as much as Lillard is now.

I hope Beal will be better than Lillard at 22. Lillard currently has a PPA of 110; I'd like Beal to be in the 150-170 range -- where Harden is.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#515 » by DCZards » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 pm

I wouldn't trade Beal to draft a SG (or SF) who hasn't proven anything at the NBA level...not when Beal is already showing that he has the potential to be an outstanding NBA player...if not an all-star. I'd be against trading Double B for someone who "might" be as good or better.

As for trading down and drafting Lilliard: no need to do that when you already had an outstanding young PG (Wall) on your team.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#516 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I like Beal a lot but I remember what McCollum did to Duke and Austin Rivers, in particular. McCollum was averaging around 25 points a game before he broke his foot. He's proven himself and I think he's just as good as Seth Curry, potentially. In this past draft I said Iike Beal at #3 but I believe I would trade down for #6 and pick Damian Lillard. Would you trade Beal for Lillard? (In fairness, Lillard is 22 and Beal 19)

Seth Curry? Surely. Steph Curry? Hardly. Seth was dropping 30 a game while dishing out 5 apg, and that was including the Lehigh game where he was effectively triple teamed out of the game. Compare that to "only" 25ppg and 3 apg at an absurd and unsustainable 50% 3p% for half a season, I don't think McCollum is going to pan out quite as well as Curry did.
Bullets -> Wizards
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#517 » by dandrews » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:dandrews, when you see these players in a few years get remember what you're saying right now.

I like Beal a lot but I remember what McCollum did to Duke and Austin Rivers, in particular. McCollum was averaging around 25 points a game before he broke his foot. He's proven himself and I think he's just as good as Seth Curry, potentially. In this past draft I said Iike Beal at #3 but I believe I would trade down for #6 and pick Damian Lillard. Would you trade Beal for Lillard? (In fairness, Lillard is 22 and Beal 19)

As far as Smart is concerned I like him more than Beal. Period. Smart is an absolute beast who has won state HS championship over the Harrison Twins. Smart at 18 years old is already an elite talent. Better then Beal, no doubt in my mind.

That said, I like Beal and have never worried about his shooting. Check the Beal thread. Even at the height of his struggles I've said I like him. I just like certain players even more.

My opinion is irrelevant. Bradley Beal is not going to be traded. It's a moot point
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#518 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Anyone like Poythress ?
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#519 » by nuposse04 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:35 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Anyone like Poythress ?

If we could trade back and get him while dumping some salary I would jump on that. I haven't seen much of kentucky this year but his stats look encouraging. I see he can even shoot 3s, he might be able to contribute immediately if we draft him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#520 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:16 pm

The more I've seen Poythress, the less I like his chances in the NBA. Physically, he's impressive, and he seems to have a good attitude, but he's really struggling. Part of the problem is KY is trying to get him to adjust to the 3, and he's used to having his way down low - not on the perimeter. But when you're playing with 2 guys around 7' tall, you can't stay in the paint. He is nowhere near ready for the NBA.

Here's a link to Ed Weiland's thoughts and rankings through 12/31/12. http://hoopsanalyst.com/blog/?p=965 It's a fun read for all draft geeks - with lots of interesting insights on how he rates players, but as he says - his rankings are very fluid when he did them. Some are really way off, imo - but hey, it's preliminary.

Return to Washington Wizards