ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Error Afflalo
Rookie
And1: 687

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#601 » by Error Afflalo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:33 pm

mhd wrote:Well, say we end up in the 5-10 range and Mclemore, Noel, Shabazz, and Len are gone, who do you take?

Glenn Robinson III. I think he'll end up in the 5-10 range by season's end
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#602 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:07 pm

mhd wrote:Well, say we end up in the 5-10 range and Mclemore, Noel, Shabazz, and Len are gone, who do you take?

Bennett. He has range on his J, takes it to the basket strong and rebounds. Defensive effort is weak but hopefully Randy will help there.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#603 » by doclinkin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Poythress. Best upside, good inside/outside game. Helps stretch the frontcourt to the wings. Athletic, good, young with room to improve. Upgrades Martell Webster.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#604 » by Illuminaire » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Alex looks more like an NBA 4 to me. Could still be a strong pick for us, but I don't see the SF skills... yet.
kirubel94
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#605 » by kirubel94 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Poythress reminds me of someone who is already on the Wiz, Chris Singleton. As you can see with Poythress and Singleton, they aren't good ball handlers. If Shabazz, Noel, and Mclemore aren't available, give me Bennett, Otto Porter, or Glenn Robinson III.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#606 » by nuposse04 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:40 pm

I like Otto Porter, but if we are picking like 6th...I think Porter could be had at around 12-14...so if trading back while unloading...say Ariza is feasible, I would definitely do that. Poythress is an excellent finisher, that is something singleton clearly lacks. We wouldn't be asking him to handle the ball much, as that is Wall's duty. He just needs to continue to work on the 3 ball and improve on the defensive end. We need strong rebounding. I don't see why he can't have K. Leonard type improvement.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#607 » by doclinkin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:45 pm

kirubel94 wrote:Poythress reminds me of someone who is already on the Wiz, Chris Singleton. As you can see with Poythress and Singleton, they aren't good ball handlers. If Shabazz, Noel, and Mclemore aren't available, give me Bennett, Otto Porter, or Glenn Robinson III.

Waaaay more athletic than Singleton with a frame that will fill out. Recall kid is 19, not a finished product. He's got eh-okay handles, room to improve but I've seen him successfully dribble-drive from the perimeter. Hitting ~%50 from 3 with a few attempts a game. Rebounding well relative to other freshmen frontcourt players (at either the 3/4 spots) while playing a tough schedule.

I like Otto Porter for his defense, but he's a marginal upgrade without top-end talent. I don't see him improving much. He's added a more reliable outside shot this year, okay good, but that's about all I see him developing.

Bennett I like too, but he's another 6'6"-ish PF. And if he's already a question mark on defense then his lack of size at that spot won't help. Booker succeeds on that end due to toughness and effort, defense is a calling, hard to light that fire. Never know though he's a kid also, could improve. I'm always leery of inflated stats from the Mountain West Conference though, been burned few times there.

Best talent available puts Poythress in our lap as a productive guy who also has upside and adds qualities we do need in our frontcourt: range, athletic mismatch. He's got good numbers already with a better chance of being a home-run hit than others at the spot.

Baby Big Dog I have not yet seen much of. I like the shooting of his teammate Nik Stauskas though.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#608 » by Induveca » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Agreed on Poythress/Porter doc. My sentiments exactly.

Porter honestly doesn't impress me.....for that matter neither does Len. I suspect if I had DC news I might feel differently.
Rarablue0
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#609 » by Rarablue0 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 pm

DONT SLEEP ON BENNETT. Srsly, the more I watch of this kid the more I fall in love.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#610 » by jivelikenice » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Induveca wrote:Agreed on Poythress/Porter doc. My sentiments exactly.

Porter honestly doesn't impress me.....for that matter neither does Len. I suspect if I had DC news I might feel differently.

What about Porter doesn't impress? The length and defense is good and his shot has improved immensely.....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#611 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:33 am

jivelikenice wrote:
hands11 wrote:http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330190058

Watching Otto Porter right now.

Long. Can hit a 3. Defends and talks a lot on defense

Looks good.

I love Porter...think he can be better than Prince. His shot has come along a great deal and his length would be great at the 3 for us. I also think his offensive upside is better than a 3 and D type. He had a couple of iso opportunities yesterday and off the dribble was able to get good jump shots off. A couple rimmd out but the talent is there and the Princeton office probably hurts him...he's also a rook that would fit in and play within a team concept....he's and ideal mid lotto pick IMO.

Prince did come to mind when I was watching him. Maybe even a little Tracy McGrady.
hands11
Banned User

Post#612 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:41 am

Error Afflalo wrote:

Glenn Robinson III. I think he'll end up in the 5-10 range by season's end

I clearly do not watch enough college basketball.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.s ... _up_e.html

He wasn't on draftx and that is where I usually go.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#613 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 am

Otto Porter does a little of everything but he's never come across as a gamechanger to me. He's not the scorer/shooter that I feel the Wizards need at SF. He's definitely a team player, but I don't think he's the best value within the top 10. He's just okay to me, okay ballhandler, okay shooter. Good team player, willing defender. Nothing out of this world.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#614 » by pancakes3 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:47 am

Porter's got similar numbers to Rudy Gay's college numbers. Maybe people are down because GTown's lost 3 of their last 5? He certainly looked unimpressive in the loss to Marquette.

Poythress is interesting. His fg% is at 62%, his 3p% is at 47% and his ft% is at 69%. Those are Lebron-esque shooting numbers. To me, he has the same red flags that Shabazz has. 0.5 apg and very low steal/block numbers suggest that he's a 1 dimensional player and not the brightest defensive bulb.

Noel update, 10 pts 9 rebounds 7 blocks. He's going to have a triple double one of these days, I can just feel it.
Bullets -> Wizards
hands11
Banned User

Post#615 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:50 am

nuposse04 wrote:I like Otto Porter, but if we are picking like 6th...I think Porter could be had at around 12-14...so if trading back while unloading...say Ariza is feasible, I would definitely do that. Poythress is an excellent finisher, that is something singleton clearly lacks. We wouldn't be asking him to handle the ball much, as that is Wall's duty. He just needs to continue to work on the 3 ball and improve on the defensive end. We need strong rebounding. I don't see why he can't have K. Leonard type improvement.

Unloading Trevor A? Are you kidding me? What is there to unload ? He is 27, long, a great defender, he steals, rebounds and he can hit the 3 when open. He guard multiple positions and he isn't a head case. Why would you trade him ?

The team doesn't need to unload anyone let alone Trevor A. If anyone is getting shipped out it going to be Singleton and or Ves.
hands11
Banned User

Post#616 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:04 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Otto Porter does a little of everything but he's never come across as a gamechanger to me. He's not the scorer/shooter that I feel the Wizards need at SF. He's definitely a team player, but I don't think he's the best value within the top 10. He's just okay to me, okay ballhandler, okay shooter. Good team player, willing defender. Nothing out of this world.

All those oks sound pretty good to me.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#617 » by nuposse04 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:19 am

hands11 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:I like Otto Porter, but if we are picking like 6th...I think Porter could be had at around 12-14...so if trading back while unloading...say Ariza is feasible, I would definitely do that. Poythress is an excellent finisher, that is something singleton clearly lacks. We wouldn't be asking him to handle the ball much, as that is Wall's duty. He just needs to continue to work on the 3 ball and improve on the defensive end. We need strong rebounding. I don't see why he can't have K. Leonard type improvement.

Unloading Trevor A? Are you kidding me? What is there to unload ? He is 27, long, a great defender, he steals, rebounds and he can hit the 3 when open. He guard multiple positions and he isn't a head case. Why would you trade him ?

The team doesn't need to unload anyone let alone Trevor A. If anyone is getting shipped out it going to be Singleton and or Ves.

I love this current turn around as much as the next guy, but easy with the homer juice. There are very upgrade-able positions across the board. Ariza has been hitting some 3s lately but his career % don't really validate him nor do his current stats. While I love his defense he can be a liability out there defensively. If you had these options:

Webster (on a reasonable deal)/Otto Porter
or
Ariza/Poythress

Who would you choose?

As much as I like Poythress he's probably one full season of way from being a completely seasoned product (unless he turns it on from here out).

To act like we can't do better will keep us in the cellar. Management should be striving for better while applauding our guys for better play.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#618 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 am

hands11 wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Otto Porter does a little of everything but he's never come across as a gamechanger to me. He's not the scorer/shooter that I feel the Wizards need at SF. He's definitely a team player, but I don't think he's the best value within the top 10. He's just okay to me, okay ballhandler, okay shooter. Good team player, willing defender. Nothing out of this world.

All those oks sound pretty good to me.

I think the Wizards really need to nail the pick if they're looking for an offensive guy at SF, I don't think they do it by drafting Otto Porter. Porter is not an upgrade over Ariza defensively or Webster as a shooter.
hands11
Banned User

Post#619 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 am

I would keep Trever and Webster and still draft one of those two.

We need to get out of this endless cycle of drafting rookie that have to start.

I would draft one of them and then groom them. If they take someone position, then so be it. If they are good, they can start year two.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#620 » by nuposse04 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 am

hands11 wrote:I would keep Trever and Webster and still draft one of those two.

We need to get out of this endless cycle of drafting rookie that have to start.

I would draft one of them and then groom them. If they take someone position, then so be it. If they are good, they can start year two.

Your arithmetic is on par with the GOP's if that's your plan. Unless Webster is willing to sign for cheap again, he might not stay. He's played well enough to validate himself some more money. So, that scenario is just unfeasible as far as I'm concerned...Unless for some odd reason he really enjoys being a wizard. :lol:

Return to Washington Wizards