ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#341 » by TGW » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Rockets fans do not like Patterson at all. As a matter of fact, they feel the same way about him that we do with Seraphin--too soft on the boards and not wanting to really mix it up downlow. We may be able to get him with some sweetener for JV.

Sheesh...that draft really sucked. Vesely and Singleton are the two worst first round draft picks I've ever seen.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#342 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Patterson doesn't rebound much, but he is an efficient scorer who shoots the 3 decently. Not saying Wizards should trade for him, but he's not bad.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#343 » by Jay81 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Nivek wrote:Patterson doesn't rebound much, but he is an efficient scorer who shoots the 3 decently. Not saying Wizards should trade for him, but he's not bad.

sounds like he can at least play basketball
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#344 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Yeah, Jay. Patterson looks better to me than Vesely, Singleton or Seraphin.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#345 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Yeah. Its looking like the best thing from that draft was us being bad enough for another year so we could get Beal.

Thats the only thing that makes sense about it.

My picks were very different and I was like :o with the picks they took.

My list had.

Markieff Morris
Nikola Vucevic
Tobias Harris
Marshon Brooks

I was hoping for something from that list but leaning toward a center and a shooter so I wanted

Nikola Vucevic
Marshon Brooks

and Justin was my 2nd rounder. Or take a long shot on Jeremy Tyler
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#346 » by closg00 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 pm

The NBA has invited Kyrie Irving, Kenneth Faried, Brandon Knight, Kawhi Leonard, Chandler Parsons, Klay Thompson, Tristan Thompson, Nikola Vucevic and Kemba Walker as the sophomore in the 2013 Rising Stars Game.

The rookies are led by Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes, Andre Drummond, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bradley Beal, Alexey Shved, Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.

Ricky Rubio, Terrence Ross, Jimmy Butler and Jared Sullinger are amongst the notable omissions for the game.

A who's-who list of players Ernie could have drafted in his 0-3 draft :evil: Rubio & Curry in 2009.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#347 » by FAH1223 » Sat Feb 2, 2013 10:19 pm

closg00 wrote:
The NBA has invited Kyrie Irving, Kenneth Faried, Brandon Knight, Kawhi Leonard, Chandler Parsons, Klay Thompson, Tristan Thompson, Nikola Vucevic and Kemba Walker as the sophomore in the 2013 Rising Stars Game.

The rookies are led by Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes, Andre Drummond, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bradley Beal, Alexey Shved, Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.

Ricky Rubio, Terrence Ross, Jimmy Butler and Jared Sullinger are amongst the notable omissions for the game.

A who's-who list of players Ernie could have drafted in his 0-3 draft :evil: Rubio & Curry in 2009.

:cry:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#348 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 5, 2013 2:16 pm

It's got to be obvious now even to Ted that it's time for everyone in the front office and the coaching staff to be fired. They have zero personnel successes. Nada. Zilch. Sero.

Wall - no improvement since his rookie year. This is one of the great physical talents in the NBA that came into the NBA as someone who should have developed by now into at least a borderline all-star player.

Vesely - the 6th pick in the draft 2 drafts ago - isn't even good enough to play on this team.

Seraphin - showed some life last year but has regressed back to what he was as a rookie - a terrible player.

Young/McGee/Blatche - developed here as the 3 idiots, all left with bad feelings.

Crawford - for part of the season was the lone young player showing improvement - now he's so far in the dugout that he gets just 5 minutes when Beal is out and shows terrible body language.

Booker - played like a solid backup last season, has been completely ineffective when he hasn't been injured this season, has next to no value.

Nene - the one quality player on the team for a chunk of the season, but you never know what you're going to get from him, you can see the sparkle is gone from the great attitude he came here with, and his future is clouded at 30 years old and a lot of money owed to him.

Ariza and Okafor - likely don't fit into the future of the team and their acquisition hindered and hinders the team from making moves that could have landed players that could have fit. Acquiring these veterans was supposed to help in the development of the young players - which has not happened.

Beal - has had a good month, but overall hasn't had a good season and is now injured.

Chris Singleton - another 1st round pick who barely plays or contributes. He was picked ahead of Faried.

James Singleton - played extremely well last season and was not retained.

Webster and Price - were nice cheap pickups but haven't been signed past this season and could very well be gone for nothing next season. Any development they had will likely be for the benefit of another team moreso than the Wizards.

They haven't used any 2nd round pick successfully - despite having high 2nd round picks year after year.

They haven't even tried to use the NBA D League to develop any of their young players.

Team records:

2012-2013: 12-35 .255
2011-2012: 20-46 .303
2010-2011: 23-59 .280
2009-2010: 26-56 .317
2008-2009: 19-63 .232

Complete futility showing absolutely no reason to believe that's going to change. Every day that passes without change takes away some hope that things will turn around.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#349 » by TGW » Tue Feb 5, 2013 3:10 pm

Hey Ruzious, if you go to Ted's take, it seems as though he's pretty pleased with the direction of the team. He maintains the ".500 since John Wall has returned" defense, and he mentions how the team has won at home 6 out of the last 7 games. From what I sense, I think he has no problem going with the current direction of the team.

...as long as Ted makes his bread, I think we should get used to this.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#350 » by FAH1223 » Tue Feb 5, 2013 4:13 pm

TGW wrote:Hey Ruzious, if you go to Ted's take, it seems as though he's pretty pleased with the direction of the team. He maintains the ".500 since John Wall has returned" defense, and he mentions how the team has won at home 6 out of the last 7 games. From what I sense, I think he has no problem going with the current direction of the team.

This is why they need to lose a lot more in the 2nd half of the season. Otherwise, next season they will keep going on the .500 since John has been back BS
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#351 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 5, 2013 5:44 pm

TGW wrote:Hey Ruzious, if you go to Ted's take, it seems as though he's pretty pleased with the direction of the team. He maintains the ".500 since John Wall has returned" defense, and he mentions how the team has won at home 6 out of the last 7 games. From what I sense, I think he has no problem going with the current direction of the team.

Thanks, TGW. I copied most of that post to Ted's latest happy take. Of course, I got the usual "Your comment is awaiting moderation". I also sent it as an e-mail to one of the Wiz salesmen asking him to forward it to the higher ups. I think there's a much better chance that things change if they hear it from us - many times and in no uncertain terms. I think in many ways - salesmen are the ears of the organization. If they can't sell, they have to give reasons why, and we can tell them those reasons.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#352 » by Nivek » Tue Feb 5, 2013 5:54 pm

The first draft of today's blog post included a snarky "positive pixels" thing in which I point out that the Wizards are 12-0 in games where they score more points than their opponent. It didn't fit with my critique of Wall and their continued effort to promote him as their "star guard."

But, hey, think about how good the Wizards could be if they would play only the games in which they outscored their opponent. They'd be the league's first unbeaten team. That'd be grrrrrrrreat!
-- Malcolm Gladwell

milellie111
Pro Prospect
And1: 245

Post#353 » by milellie111 » Tue Feb 5, 2013 6:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Thanks, TGW. I copied most of that post to Ted's latest happy take. Of course, I got the usual "Your comment is awaiting moderation". I also sent it as an e-mail to one of the Wiz salesmen asking him to forward it to the higher ups. I think there's a much better chance that things change if they hear it from us - many times and in no uncertain terms. I think in many ways - salesmen are the ears of the organization. If they can't sell, they have to give reasons why, and we can tell them those reasons.

LOL. You are wasting your time. Ted Leonsis isn't listening to any forum fans. I don't even know why people bother writing him. He is trolling you guys big time. This whole "connect with the fans through blogs and email" scheme is just another way to boost his ego. Everyone can scream 'Fire Ernie! Fire Whittman!" all they want, but Ted won't fire Ernie just because fans bombard his inbox with hate mail. He hasn't done it yet. If he does, it will be because he loses money or things get so embarrasingly bad that he has no choice in order to save his own pride. But he'll never say "Due to the fans who were right all along, i've decide to make major organizational changes."

This team is a project to him. He knows what he's doing even if in the back of his mind he knows he doesn't know what he's doing. Why would a successful billionaire admit that he's wrong and make changes while acknowledging that some minimum wage working fans were right all along?
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#354 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 5, 2013 6:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:It's got to be obvious now even to Ted that it's time for everyone in the front office and the coaching staff to be fired. They have zero personnel successes. Nada. Zilch. Sero.

Wall - no improvement since his rookie year. This is one of the great physical talents in the NBA that came into the NBA as someone who should have developed by now into at least a borderline all-star player.

Vesely - the 6th pick in the draft 2 drafts ago - isn't even good enough to play on this team.

Seraphin - showed some life last year but has regressed back to what he was as a rookie - a terrible player.

Young/McGee/Blatche - developed here as the 3 idiots, all left with bad feelings.

Crawford - for part of the season was the lone young player showing improvement - now he's so far in the dugout that he gets just 5 minutes when Beal is out and shows terrible body language.

Booker - played like a solid backup last season, has been completely ineffective when he hasn't been injured this season, has next to no value.

Nene - the one quality player on the team for a chunk of the season, but you never know what you're going to get from him, you can see the sparkle is gone from the great attitude he came here with, and his future is clouded at 30 years old and a lot of money owed to him.

Ariza and Okafor - likely don't fit into the future of the team and their acquisition hindered and hinders the team from making moves that could have landed players that could have fit. Acquiring these veterans was supposed to help in the development of the young players - which has not happened.

Beal - has had a good month, but overall hasn't had a good season and is now injured.

Chris Singleton - another 1st round pick who barely plays or contributes. He was picked ahead of Faried.

James Singleton - played extremely well last season and was not retained.

Webster and Price - were nice cheap pickups but haven't been signed past this season and could very well be gone for nothing next season. Any development they had will likely be for the benefit of another team moreso than the Wizards.

They haven't used any 2nd round pick successfully - despite having high 2nd round picks year after year.

They haven't even tried to use the NBA D League to develop any of their young players.

Team records:

2012-2013: 12-35 .255
2011-2012: 20-46 .303
2010-2011: 23-59 .280
2009-2010: 26-56 .317
2008-2009: 19-63 .232

Complete futility showing absolutely no reason to believe that's going to change. Every day that passes without change takes away some hope that things will turn around.

The Wizards would likely have a better record with Wall, Young, ? , Blatche, McGee than they do with all the high-character guys they've added to the team.

If Ted Leonsis were to wise up and fire Grunfeld, a better GM could trade off players above who could be useful elsewhere, and make things right with new pieces in Washington in the future.

Nick Young is starting a putting together sold games for the 76ers. Blatche was playing like a beast early in the season, before Lopez returned. Andray is at least a useful sub on a contending team. Javale … is what he is. George Karl is not so sure what that is, but I bet McGee's trade value is higher than Nene's. Those guys left upset but none are worse off than they would have been as Wizards. I think the players the Wizards have failed with collectively are not as bad as they seem.

Other teams will take Seraphin, Crawford, Singleton, and Vesely and do better with them. Okafor can help a contending team. Nene, however, is damaged goods. I can't see them trading him successfully, other than for someone like Bargnani, who cannot play.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#355 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 5, 2013 6:56 pm

milellie111 wrote:
LOL. You are wasting your time. Ted Leonsis isn't listening to any forum fans. I don't even know why people bother writing him. He is trolling you guys big time. This whole "connect with the fans through blogs and email" scheme is just another way to boost his ego. Everyone can scream 'Fire Ernie! Fire Whittman!" all they want, but Ted won't fire Ernie just because fans bombard his inbox with hate mail. He hasn't done it yet. If he does, it will be because he loses money or things get so embarrasingly bad that he has no choice in order to save his own pride. But he'll never say "Due to the fans who were right all along, i've decide to make major organizational changes."

This team is a project to him. He knows what he's doing even if in the back of his mind he knows he doesn't know what he's doing. Why would a successful billionaire admit that he's wrong and make changes while acknowledging that some minimum wage working fans were right all along?

Having a championship team would energize the fans in DC and it would be a huge ego stroke for a man who already has what money can buy. Prestige, power, popularity, notoriety, good press -- and subsequently, an even larger empire would result. Ted can leave that to his son, an even greater legacy.

Why do you think the image of the Wizards was so important to him that he made the moves he made last season? Ted changed what he valued the most, the character of the team. His vision on how to make it win, IMO is wrong. He needs to fire Ernie Grunfeld, but that's not something his principals, values, and preference is allowing him to do IMO.

I think he will make changes but I question whether Leonsis has what it takes to make the right moves.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#356 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 5, 2013 7:03 pm

milellie111 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

That's a good line. I don't think it means anything, but it's a good line.

If Daniel Snyder could finally figure out - with the help of a vocal fan base - it was best to hire competent people and let them run the organization and keep his hands off of it - surely Ted Leonsis can - with that same nudging.
leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Post#357 » by leswizards » Tue Feb 5, 2013 7:10 pm

The next time Ted uses this defense, someone should point out that many of these wins that he is so proud about came against teams depleted by injuries (ie, Chicago, Clippers, et al), and he can't have it both ways, crying about the Wizards' injuries, yet then predicating his happiness about the team's success when it has to a degree come from other team's injuries.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#358 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 5, 2013 7:44 pm

There were supposedly 16,000+ in-attendance to watch the Clips last night, that is all Ted really cares about really.
There will be no changes as-long as people continue to purchase Ted's all-u-can-eat specials.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#359 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 5, 2013 8:58 pm

Nivek wrote:The first draft of today's blog post included a snarky "positive pixels" thing in which I point out that the Wizards are 12-0 in games where they score more points than their opponent. It didn't fit with my critique of Wall and their continued effort to promote him as their "star guard."

But, hey, think about how good the Wizards could be if they would play only the games in which they outscored their opponent. They'd be the league's first unbeaten team. That'd be grrrrrrrreat!

Exactly. The rest of the games are just outliars... or outright liars... or bigger and fatter liars.

And don't forget, last night was a big win because it was against one of the top teams in the NBA - the LA Clippers without their 2 all-stars. We also had a huge win vs the Bulls without their 2 all-stars.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#360 » by Nivek » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:07 pm

As I tweeted during last night's game, it's amazing how much more competitive the Wizards are when you first take away the other team's two best players.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Return to Washington Wizards