ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#361 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:16 pm

So, what is James Singleton doing now? If EG made such a big mistake not signing him, it must be true that he is tearing it up on some other NBA team?

Hint: No.

He was last heard from in September 2012 resigning with his old China team:

http://www.niubball.com/2012/09/james-s ... a-imports/
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#362 » by Nivek » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:24 pm

While I do agree that letting James Singleton depart wasn't a blunder, I don't think it follows that an Ernie mistake MUST be tearing it up for some other NBA team. Singleton was performing well in China this year until he had a leg injury of some kind.

In Singleton's case, the NBA had already "ruled" on him. I don't know if he had other offers from the NBA, but at 32, he apparently took more money and more playing time in China over another bench role in the NBA.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#363 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:28 pm

And clearly John Wall was a mistake. We should have picked... who? Evan Turner? Derrick Favors? Wesley Johnson? Cousins?

Cousins is the only one on this list who might be better than Wall. But the reason he was picked fifth is on display for all to see.

As for Jan, I guess we should have drafted Kemba Walker. Would be a really awkward situation though since Wall and Kemba are both PGs. Yes I'd rather have Wall than Kemba but I'd rather have Kemba than Vesely...
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#364 » by Nivek » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:40 pm

Wall was the right pick. Wizards were unfortunate to get the #1 pick in a weak year at the top. As for the Vesely pick, there was a lot of noise on these boards about Faried and Leonard.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#365 » by montestewart » Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:50 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:So, what is James Singleton doing now? If EG made such a big mistake not signing him, it must be true that he is tearing it up on some other NBA team?

Here's a more recent report, really just the same as what Nivek said.
http://www.sportando.net/eng/world/asia ... jiang.html

I would have liked to see Singleton back, but it seems like he likes playing (and starting) in China and he likely gets paid more.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#366 » by Dat2U » Tue Feb 5, 2013 10:45 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:And clearly John Wall was a mistake. We should have picked... who? Evan Turner? Derrick Favors? Wesley Johnson? Cousins?

Cousins is the only one on this list who might be better than Wall. But the reason he was picked fifth is on display for all to see.

As for Jan, I guess we should have drafted Kemba Walker. Would be a really awkward situation though since Wall and Kemba are both PGs. Yes I'd rather have Wall than Kemba but I'd rather have Kemba than Vesely...

IMO you could have drafted Kemba (who was my choice btw) and Beal the next year and still have been fine. Kemba is the perfect 3rd guard IMO. Potential 6th man of the year candidate that could excel on or off the ball. I don't see why he couldn't play with Wall.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#367 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2013 12:27 am

Nivek wrote:As I tweeted during last night's game, it's amazing how much more competitive the Wizards are when you first take away the other team's two best players.

That's a credit to the Wizards for being so good that they are able to capitalize on such situations. Charlotte is so far back in our rear view mirror that I can't see them. We're #2! from the bottom... again.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#368 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:05 am

Zonkerbl wrote:So, what is James Singleton doing now? If EG made such a big mistake not signing him, it must be true that he is tearing it up on some other NBA team?

Stats
http://www.asia-basket.com/team.asp?Cnt ... 369&Page=3

But if he wanted to play in the NBA, the Wizards offered him a contract. I think we will see him again in the NBA.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#369 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:07 am

Zonkerbl wrote:And clearly John Wall was a mistake. We should have picked... who? Evan Turner? Derrick Favors? Wesley Johnson? Cousins?

No, we should have drafted Nikola
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#370 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 7, 2013 3:36 pm

so with Ernie probably not leaving till atleast 2014. He will have reigns over ANOTHER offseason.

Who wants to guess what he'll do?

1- sell our high 2nd round pick
2 - draft a bust in the 1st round in a weak draft
3 - resign Martell Webster to a MLE sized deal
4 - make no other offseason moves on the premise "if the team stays healthy, they're a playoff team" .
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#371 » by AFM » Fri Feb 8, 2013 3:44 am

I'm going to go with 4.
CLIN
Junior
And1: 46

Post#372 » by CLIN » Fri Feb 8, 2013 8:27 am

FAH1223 wrote:so with Ernie probably not leaving till atleast 2014. He will have reigns over ANOTHER offseason.

4 - make no other offseason moves on the premise "if the team stays healthy, they're a playoff team" .

2 & 3 but it ends up being a good draft
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#373 » by MDStar » Fri Feb 8, 2013 2:02 pm

CLIN wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:so with Ernie probably not leaving till atleast 2014. He will have reigns over ANOTHER offseason.

2 & 3 but it ends up being a good draft

All of the above.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#374 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 8, 2013 2:17 pm

The "rather than Vesely" list is a long one, alas! Yet, weirdly, he played well towards the end of last year. But he's really not an NBA kind of player.

As to whom to take instead -- why Walker? We had the opportunity to take Leonard, Faried and Chandler Parsons in 2011. Any two of them would have been a competent draft and changed the team significantly. I underestimated Leonard, but I certainly had him as a better choice than Vesely! Faried was a no-brainer where we took Singleton. And Chandler Parsons, off his numbers and the draft-season videos of his workouts, was an obvious steal.

Worth mentioning that I'm not sure any other team has had to cut their 2011 round 2 pick once he was signed. Another demonstration of Ernie's ability to pick 'em.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#375 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 8, 2013 6:15 pm

The "what is Singleton doing now" argument is weak. He wanted to most $ he can get, coupled with opportunity. We traded for Okafor & Ariza, and had Vesely, Booker, and the other Singleton returning. He was a victim of circumstance. The team invested picks in the latter three and had an interest in seeing if they could develop. That in no way means that just because he's in China, that he isn't better than they are.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#376 » by FAH1223 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:18 am

I'm tired if fellow fans buying in with this man again.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#377 » by Wizardspride » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 am

FAH1223 wrote:I'm tired if fellow fans buying in with this man again.

I'm not buying in per se but I am willing to see how the seasons plays out.

And if EG deserves credit I'll be the first one to give it to him.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#378 » by BigA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:11 am

The countdown getting longer...
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#379 » by Kanyewest » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 am

payitforward wrote:

The "rather than Vesely" list is a long one, alas! Yet, weirdly, he played well towards the end of last year. But he's really not an NBA kind of player.

As to whom to take instead -- why Walker? We had the opportunity to take Leonard, Faried and Chandler Parsons in 2011. Any two of them would have been a competent draft and changed the team significantly. I underestimated Leonard, but I certainly had him as a better choice than Vesely! Faried was a no-brainer where we took Singleton. And Chandler Parsons, off his numbers and the draft-season videos of his workouts, was an obvious steal.

Worth mentioning that I'm not sure any other team has had to cut their 2011 round 2 pick once he was signed. Another demonstration of Ernie's ability to pick 'em.

I wonder if Parsons was even an obvious steal to the Rockets. If they knew he was going to be this good, they would have taken him earlier than 38- they took Marcus Morris (ahead of Leaonard and Faried) and Nikola Mirotic with the 23rd pick.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#380 » by leswizards » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

All these wins are like sugar. They sure do taste sweet, but ultimately, they are hurting the Wizards.

Right now, the Wizards' roster only has 2 players (Beal and Wall) that can be confidently counted on to be long term fixtures. The rest of the roster includes old veterans (Okafor, Nene, & Ariza) whose time with the Wizards are limited; young players (Seraphin, Booker, Crawford, Vesely, & Singleton) who while having shown flashes of quality have been so limited that they can not yet be counted on to be quality rotation players; end of the bench filler (Price, Temple & Martin); and one free agent to be (Webster) who has only had 1 quality season (and it is always a risk to give players big contracts based upon what they do in the final year of a contract).

Add to this that it appears that EG can only get quality players when he is in position to draft no brainers, it is disappointing that the Wizards are winning themselves out of a drafting position where the pick will be a no brainer, and putting themselves in drafting position where EG has often made mistakes in the past.

Return to Washington Wizards