ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: LyricalRico, WizStorm, pineappleheadindc, nate33, miller31time

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
29
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
9
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
4
10%
 
Total votes: 42

Zonkerbl
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 3,905
And1: 321
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#436 » by Zonkerbl » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 am

I wonder if Wittman even wants to be a hc. Seems like hes a good soldier who steps in when he has to.

Ted is responsible for the team culture. He is judging eg on the record he has under his employment.He's not responsible for egs transactions but he could just fire him.

Ted has no choice but to be patient, certainly more than we are. The team non-wall non-nene roster is the main reason we are mad at eg and they are playing much better than they were earlier in the season. Oak is better. Beal is better.
Comparing Rose to Wall is like asking which is a more impressive cat: A cheetah or a wolf? Dude, Wall ain’t no damn cat!
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 15,659
And1: 331
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#437 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 am

Executive of the Year

1. Bob Meyers, Warriors: A balanced roster with smart contracts. Their prudence at the deadline was appreciated.

2. Daryl Morey, Rockets: The Robinson deal was just icing on the cake of a team he loaded and made dangerous while keeping his options open.

3. Billy King, Nets: As many issues as they have, they've still improved. Spending money is a talent, I guess

4. Masai Ujiri, Nuggets: Put together a fun, versatile, flexible roster and didn't do anything impetuous at the trade deadline.

5. Glen Grunwald, Knicks: Surprisingly, they're very good for the money.


http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... -year-race

What a travesty, somehow Ernie is never in consideration for Executive of the year.
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
User avatar
Nigel Tufnel
Freshman
Posts: 51
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 01, 2010

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#438 » by Nigel Tufnel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:54 pm

So glad we traded the 5th pick in 2009 instead of taking Steph Curry (or for that matter DeMar DeRozen or Brandon Jennings). Way to go Ernie!
milellie111
Senior
Posts: 511
And1: 78
Joined: Nov 14, 2012

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#439 » by milellie111 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 5:56 pm

Thought you guys might find this thread interesting on PSD forum. "Worst GM In The League"

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?806572-Worst-GM-in-the-league
montestewart
General Manager
Posts: 8,297
And1: 1,129
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#440 » by montestewart » Tue Mar 5, 2013 6:27 pm

I was trying to track down the outcome of the conditional draft pick the Wizards got from Memphis for Navarro's rights, and then traded back to Memphis (with Daniels) for James and Crittendon. It looks like it ended up being traded to Utah in 2010 for Ronnie Brewer, and later that year to Minnesota (w/ Kosta Koufos) for Al Jefferson. Minnesota drafted Donatas Motiejunas 20th with it in 2011. Others that were available @ 20 were Kenneth Faried, MarShon Brooks, Kenneth Faried, Chandler Parsons, Kenneth Faried, Isaiah Thomas, Kenneth Faried, Lavoy Allen, and Kenneth Faried.

But teams need veterans, to show them the way. Therefore, Mike James, baby.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 15,659
And1: 331
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#441 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 12:52 pm

Former Washington Wizards coach, current ESPN analyst and potential future Minnesota Timberwolves GM Flip Saunderswas on ESPN 980 the other day, and he told Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro that he was vocal with Ted Leonsis about the need to "clean out some of that knucklehead." A transcript, via DC Sports Bog:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/3/5/ ... nucklehead

Flip went to Ted because he knew Ernie to be an imbecile? Flip politely bitch-slaps Ernie for not suspending Blatche when he refused to re-enter a game after Flip ripped him. Grunfeld "management"
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
payitforward
Analyst
Posts: 3,383
And1: 518
Joined: May 02, 2012

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#442 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 6, 2013 1:45 pm

^^^
And yet... this is an awfully slow "countdown" I'm sorry to say.

Ted is happy. He's building and marketing Monumental Sports; the Wizards contending for a championship isn't a big part of that. He's satisfied if we play .500 ball. And this is i3 years after a teardown/rebuild. And having the first, sixth and third picks in successive drafts. Plus several other round 1 (and a very high round 2) picks.

Worse yet... maybe fans will be happy too. And there are even people happy here.

After all, Okafor and Ariza are playing well. Sharp-eyed Ernie picked up Webster as a bargain. Temple is a bargain off a D-League roster. Etc.

Pay no attention to the fact that this guy has never, in 10 years, built a sustainable good team. His moves have given Ted a narrative that works for presenting Monumental Sports. Who needs to excel?
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
Upper Decker
Rookie
Posts: 1,101
And1: 107
Joined: Apr 05, 2012

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#443 » by Upper Decker » Wed Mar 6, 2013 5:28 pm

payitforward wrote:^^^
And yet... this is an awfully slow "countdown" I'm sorry to say.

Ted is happy. He's building and marketing Monumental Sports; the Wizards contending for a championship isn't a big part of that. He's satisfied if we play .500 ball. And this is i3 years after a teardown/rebuild. And having the first, sixth and third picks in successive drafts. Plus several other round 1 (and a very high round 2) picks.

Worse yet... maybe fans will be happy too. And there are even people happy here.

After all, Okafor and Ariza are playing well. Sharp-eyed Ernie picked up Webster as a bargain. Temple is a bargain off a D-League roster. Etc.

Pay no attention to the fact that this guy has never, in 10 years, built a sustainable good team. His moves have given Ted a narrative that works for presenting Monumental Sports. Who needs to excel?


This is it right here. Ted has no intentions of winning anything serious. He's not a fan, he's a business man. The NBA is designed for owners to roll in money hand over fist if they don't pay the lux tax even if the team stinks. Why go through the effort to make a winner when your pockets are getting fat playing .300 ball?

The largest controlled costs for owners are coaching staff and GM. Which explains why EG and Wittman are the GM and coach. Both stink, and have no marketable demand. I'm certain Ted low balled them and said take it or leave it, but you ain't getting anything from anyone else.

Teds real 5 point plan for success.
1) Keep costs at a minimum,
2) roll in the money,
3) spray tan it up,
4) sit court side looking like Jabba the Ted,
5) make excuses until you're blue in the face.
User avatar
sfam
Analyst
Posts: 3,301
And1: 76
Joined: Aug 03, 2007

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#444 » by sfam » Wed Mar 6, 2013 5:34 pm

Upper Decker wrote:
payitforward wrote:^^^
And yet... this is an awfully slow "countdown" I'm sorry to say.

Ted is happy. He's building and marketing Monumental Sports; the Wizards contending for a championship isn't a big part of that. He's satisfied if we play .500 ball. And this is i3 years after a teardown/rebuild. And having the first, sixth and third picks in successive drafts. Plus several other round 1 (and a very high round 2) picks.

Worse yet... maybe fans will be happy too. And there are even people happy here.

After all, Okafor and Ariza are playing well. Sharp-eyed Ernie picked up Webster as a bargain. Temple is a bargain off a D-League roster. Etc.

Pay no attention to the fact that this guy has never, in 10 years, built a sustainable good team. His moves have given Ted a narrative that works for presenting Monumental Sports. Who needs to excel?


This is it right here. Ted has no intentions of winning anything serious. He's not a fan, he's a business man. The NBA is designed for owners to roll in money hand over fist if they don't pay the lux tax even if the team stinks. Why go through the effort to make a winner when your pockets are getting fat playing .300 ball?

The largest controlled costs for owners are coaching staff and GM. Which explains why EG and Wittman are the GM and coach. Both stink, and have no marketable demand. I'm certain Ted low balled them and said take it or leave it, but you ain't getting anything from anyone else.

Teds real 5 point plan for success.
1) Keep costs at a minimum,
2) roll in the money,
3) spray tan it up,
4) sit court side looking like Jabba the Ted,
5) make excuses until you're blue in the face.


Sorry, I don't buy that. Its a fine position to take to say Ted is making monumentally bad decisions to create championship teams, but I think impugning his integrity to say he doesn't care about winning is a stretch too far. Clearly there are very few people who think EG deserves a job past this Thursday. But that Ted somehow does indicates he has a tendency to keep crappy sports management people in place (on all his teams) far longer than he should. In retrospect, perhaps this shouldn't be so surprising considering he learned sports management under Abe Pollin. But I still think Ted wants a championship as much as any owner does.

Hopefully Ted can turn around Groupon so he'll get more Wizards bucks to play with.
User avatar
AFM
Veteran
Posts: 2,770
And1: 1,031
Joined: May 25, 2012

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#445 » by AFM » Wed Mar 6, 2013 5:43 pm

Upper Decker wrote:
payitforward wrote:^^^
And yet... this is an awfully slow "countdown" I'm sorry to say.

Ted is happy. He's building and marketing Monumental Sports; the Wizards contending for a championship isn't a big part of that. He's satisfied if we play .500 ball. And this is i3 years after a teardown/rebuild. And having the first, sixth and third picks in successive drafts. Plus several other round 1 (and a very high round 2) picks.

Worse yet... maybe fans will be happy too. And there are even people happy here.

After all, Okafor and Ariza are playing well. Sharp-eyed Ernie picked up Webster as a bargain. Temple is a bargain off a D-League roster. Etc.

Pay no attention to the fact that this guy has never, in 10 years, built a sustainable good team. His moves have given Ted a narrative that works for presenting Monumental Sports. Who needs to excel?


This is it right here. Ted has no intentions of winning anything serious. He's not a fan, he's a business man. The NBA is designed for owners to roll in money hand over fist if they don't pay the lux tax even if the team stinks. Why go through the effort to make a winner when your pockets are getting fat playing .300 ball?

The largest controlled costs for owners are coaching staff and GM. Which explains why EG and Wittman are the GM and coach. Both stink, and have no marketable demand. I'm certain Ted low balled them and said take it or leave it, but you ain't getting anything from anyone else.

Teds real 5 point plan for success.
1) Keep costs at a minimum,
2) roll in the money,
3) spray tan it up,
4) sit court side looking like Jabba the Ted,
5) make excuses until you're blue in the face.

:lol: :lol:
Image
payitforward
Analyst
Posts: 3,383
And1: 518
Joined: May 02, 2012

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#446 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 8, 2013 1:00 pm

If you want to see how a real GM works, look at what Darryl Morey has done since last season. He had a slightly above average team last year that was going nowhere in its future.

He turned inside out to try to get Howard and failed. Yet, he has created a winner, a better team, a younger team, and a team that costs less money.

Know how many players are on the Rockets who were on the team last year. Well, Greg Smith is still there -- an undrafted bargain big. And Chandler Parsons, a brilliant round 2 pick.

That's it. No one else from last year still on the Rockets squad. Gee... I guess "continuity" isn't really all that important, huh?
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
leswizards
Junior
Posts: 464
And1: 65
Joined: Jun 09, 2010

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#447 » by leswizards » Fri Mar 8, 2013 1:55 pm

Ted Leonsis has said having the second or third worst record in the NBA this season is unacceptable. If the Wizards finish with the second or third worst record, does EG get fired. If so, it is another reason to root for the tank.
User avatar
AFM
Veteran
Posts: 2,770
And1: 1,031
Joined: May 25, 2012

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#448 » by AFM » Fri Mar 8, 2013 2:19 pm

Imagine what these boards will look like the day Ernie gets fired
Image
User avatar
Nivek
Head Coach
Posts: 7,406
And1: 956
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
Contact:
         

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#449 » by Nivek » Fri Mar 8, 2013 2:32 pm

leswizards wrote:Ted Leonsis has said having the second or third worst record in the NBA this season is unacceptable. If the Wizards finish with the second or third worst record, does EG get fired. If so, it is another reason to root for the tank.


If Ted has made not having the 2nd or 3rd worst record a condition of Grunfeld's continued employment, The Tank will not happen. Grunfeld's job would be riding on not tanking, as would Randy Wittman's. I can't imagine Troy Weaver taking over as GM and choosing to keep Wittman as the coach.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
User avatar
FAH1223
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,325
And1: 663
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#450 » by FAH1223 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 3:28 pm

Nivek wrote:
leswizards wrote:Ted Leonsis has said having the second or third worst record in the NBA this season is unacceptable. If the Wizards finish with the second or third worst record, does EG get fired. If so, it is another reason to root for the tank.


If Ted has made not having the 2nd or 3rd worst record a condition of Grunfeld's continued employment, The Tank will not happen. Grunfeld's job would be riding on not tanking, as would Randy Wittman's. I can't imagine Troy Weaver taking over as GM and choosing to keep Wittman as the coach.


they don't have to tank. despite going 15-12 or whatever since Wall came back, they are still the 3rd worst team in the league.

Wall will keep turning it over. Nene will play hurt. Beal will be sidelined. The crappy draft picks on the bench will continue to be...crappy. And we'll be fine. They'll lose games without even having to mess up the rotation.

I hope they can lose 5 or 6 straight right now.
Image
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 15,659
And1: 331
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#451 » by closg00 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 5:26 pm

Just heard that the Wiz have the NBA's worst road-win record.
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
payitforward
Analyst
Posts: 3,383
And1: 518
Joined: May 02, 2012

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#452 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 8, 2013 5:47 pm

leswizards wrote:Ted Leonsis has said having the second or third worst record in the NBA this season is unacceptable. If the Wizards finish with the second or third worst record, does EG get fired. If so, it is another reason to root for the tank.

More recently, Ted has trotted out the injury excuse for our bad record through 33 games (5-28) and he said that if we "play .500 ball the rest of the season" (from when Wall came back), he'd be satisfied.

That's 30 wins -- go 11-12 the rest of the year and be home free.

We are now almost exactly 3 years from when management completely broke up the previous team and started over. In 3 years, it's acceptable FO performance to climb all the way back to 30 wins. To be a .500 team. That's the performance level he demands of his GM.

Going forward, we'd have $57m+ tied up in 9 players of that sterling .500 team:

Two are well into their 30s and clearly heading for decline (one, Nene, seemingly unable to play through a season or average 30 minutes a game).

Three show strong signs of becoming below average NBA players at best (Kevin, Chris, Jan).

One (Booker) is solid but injury prone (hasn't played even 1500 minutes in any of 3 seasons).

Ariza is an above average journeyman. Wall is an enormous question mark who certainly hasn't lived up to being a #1 pick in now his 3d season -- maybe, overall, he's a middle of the pack starter?

And... one outstanding young player in Bradley Beal.

Great, huh?
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 40,407
And1: 1,910
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#453 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 6:17 pm

payitforward wrote:We are now almost exactly 3 years from when management completely broke up the previous team and started over. In 3 years, it's acceptable FO performance to climb all the way back to 30 wins. To be a .500 team. That's the performance level he demands of his GM.

The expectations are to be a .500 team only when fully healthy? That's sad. They don't seem to get that in real life, the ".500" teams are actually .600 teams when healthy but suffer the usual injuries that come with being an NBA team. You don't see Chicago slumming in the lottery just because Rose missed the season, or Boston throwing in the towel when Rondo got hurt.

The expectations are way too low. This team has two quality big men, a #1 overall pick in his 3rd season, and a $58M payroll. They should be aiming much higher. They suck because there is no depth on this team thanks to 4 years of botched draft picks.
WizarDynasty
Starter
Posts: 2,119
And1: 41
Joined: Oct 23, 2003
Location: NO more post from me until you fix it!!

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#454 » by WizarDynasty » Fri Mar 8, 2013 6:20 pm

This is definitely the team i have always envisioned since the i piggy back the concept of dynasty from a bulls fan a decade ago. Two way players at all positions. This team can battle with anyone. Trevor Ariza was the hardest piece to find and the only problem is that its going to be extremely difficult to keep him.
Wall--the point guard i always envisioned.
Beal definitely the shooting guard i envisioned
Ariza the perfect shooting guard especially since his handle has improved this season.
Nene--the perfect powerforward.
Okafor--light years ahead of what we got from Haywood.

We got a powerful agile big future banger in seraphin, webster three ball and some defense. This team seems to fit the blue print i set out to a perfect tee.
We got the san antonio coach to change the culture.

Now all we need to do is wait and let the soup marinate on slow cooker until the flavor becomes legendary. Only problem is keeping the pieces together...most important holding on to Ariza even though he wants to go the west coast with his family understandable.

if this trio was kept together for three years, there is no way we aren't top 3 in the eastern conference. Ted and
Wiz'Wise'Wall'Paul'MotionCamera"dynasty-JWALL Worst handles league Get slow motion camera watch # many times Wall bounces ball in 2 seconds offpickcompared 2 CPaul Now compare how much rose moves the ball in air after jumping off 1 foot compare Wall!
montestewart
General Manager
Posts: 8,297
And1: 1,129
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#455 » by montestewart » Fri Mar 8, 2013 7:00 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:This is definitely the team i have always envisioned since the i piggy back the concept of dynasty from a bulls fan a decade ago. Two way players at all positions. This team can battle with anyone. Trevor Ariza was the hardest piece to find and the only problem is that its going to be extremely difficult to keep him.
Wall--the point guard i always envisioned.
Beal definitely the shooting guard i envisioned
Ariza the perfect shooting guard especially since his handle has improved this season.
Nene--the perfect powerforward.
Okafor--light years ahead of what we got from Haywood.

We got a powerful agile big future banger in seraphin, webster three ball and some defense. This team seems to fit the blue print i set out to a perfect tee.
We got the san antonio coach to change the culture.

Now all we need to do is wait and let the soup marinate on slow cooker until the flavor becomes legendary. Only problem is keeping the pieces together...most important holding on to Ariza even though he wants to go the west coast with his family understandable.

if this trio was kept together for three years, there is no way we aren't top 3 in the eastern conference. Ted and

Can't get past the comparison to the Bulls dynasty. Letting "soup marinate" is a good metaphor. EG needs to reread his cookbook.

Return to Washington Wizards