ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown To Randy Wittman Getting Fired

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Countdown To Randy Wittman Getting Fired 

Post#61 » by Nivek » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:11 am

I don't think Wittman is a good coach, but no one is going to accomplish much with this group. Pretty typical for how the Wizards make decisions -- the front office interviewed no other candidates before removing the interim label and awarding him the job.

If it was me running the team, Wittman wouldn't be coaching it. Not much point in firing him, though. He works hard and he's probably doing as well as any other journeyman coach would do.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#62 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:32 am

WizardsWorld wrote:The fact that Avery Johnson got fired today and Randy still has his job shows the sense of urgency in one organization and the lack of urgency or just the I don't give a crap mentality in ours.

Be careful what you ask for.

I think Avery Johnson is not a better coach than Randy Wittman. The roster he had at Dallas consisted of Dirk Nowitzki and a roster of players Mark Cuban assembled. I recall the Finals where Dallas lost to Miami. His playoff coaching was abysmal IMO. He could have played Marquis Daniels on Wade but didn't seem to notice how well Daniels was playing at both ends. Avery also ran off Devin Harris. Johnson keeps players in his doghouse. I don't like his coaching.

Randy Wittman has never had a good roster. He has inherited garbage teams and he plays under a FO now that has made some dubious decisions. Relative to the talent on his roster I think Wittman is a fine coach.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#63 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 am

Tonight against the Bulls, Washington trailed 73-77.

Many players missed shots, but it went downhill after Temple missed a layup that would have made the score 75-77. The loss ended up to be by 10 points, 77-87. I cannot fault Wittman when Beal misses open shots or for Nene not converting when the game was in doubt.

I see the good. Emeka Okafor has begun to rebound very effectively. Temple looks good. Mack, after being cut comes back to hit shots at the end of both the 2nd and the 3rd. These are players playing with a passion. Mack was out and for the other team, they were rested and returning Deng and Hamilton to their lineup. They had to fight to win.

Randy is doing and okay job. Unlike Flip, there is not any whining and carping and backing over players while the coach deflects and NEVER admits to any mistakes. Randy mans up and the players show up. They have no closers but that is not the coach's fault.
Bye bye Beal.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#64 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Tonight against the Bulls, Washington trailed 73-77.

Many players missed shots, but it went downhill after Temple missed a layup that would have made the score 75-77. The loss ended up to be by 10 points, 77-87. I cannot fault Wittman when Beal misses open shots or for Nene not converting when the game was in doubt.

I see the good. Emeka Okafor has begun to rebound very effectively. Temple looks good. Mack, after being cut comes back to hit shots at the end of both the 2nd and the 3rd. These are players playing with a passion. Mack was out and for the other team, they were rested and returning Deng and Hamilton to their lineup. They had to fight to win.

Randy is doing and okay job. Unlike Flip, there is not any whining and carping and backing over players while the coach deflects and NEVER admits to any mistakes. Randy mans up and the players show up. They have no closers but that is not the coach's fault.

I think you're kind of being blinded by Wittman's goods when comparing him to Flip Saunders; you should be comparing his coaching to other coaches who run perennial playoff teams. You ever see a boxing match where there's an underdog pushing the guy favored to win the match to his limits with a gritty performance and then somewhere along the match the underdog catches favored guy with a punch, legitimately hurts him but then fails to follow up on the damge caused allowing favored guy to recuperate, reset, and regain control? That's what it felt like to me with the Bulls over their team's foul limit early in the fourth quarter (with nine minutes to go in the ballgame). Do you think Doc Rivers, Scott Brooks, or Erik Spoelstra allows their respective teams to let a playoff bound team like the Bulls off the hook after digging themsleves that kind of hole? I guess not having much riding on the game-- being that the Wizards have the worst record in the league--- is why this doesn't seem to stick out to too many people, but that really stood out to me and is proof IMO that Wittman isn't a guy that has what it takes to take the Wizards far. Wittman and the Wizards gave the Bulls a get- out of- jail- free card on that one and no one seemed to notice.

To blame the loss on a missed layup is crazy to me.
RealGM

Post#65 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
I think you're kind of being blinded by Wittman's goods when comparing him to Flip Saunders; you should be comparing his coaching to other coaches who run perennial playoff teams. You ever see a boxing match where there's an underdog pushing the guy favored to win the match to his limits with a gritty performance and then somewhere along the match the underdog catches favored guy with a punch, legitimately hurts him but then fails to follow up on the damge caused allowing favored guy to recuperate, reset, and regain control? That's what it felt like to me with the Bulls over their team's foul limit early in the fourth quarter (with nine minutes to go in the ballgame). Do you think Doc Rivers, Scott Brooks, or Erik Spoelstra allows their respective teams to let a playoff bound team like the Bulls off the hook after digging themsleves that kind of hole? I guess not having much riding on the game-- being that the Wizards have the worst record in the league--- is why this doesn't seem to stick out to too many people, but that really stood out to me and is proof IMO that Wittman isn't a guy that has what it takes to take the Wizards far. Wittman and the Wizards gave the Bulls a get- out of- jail- free card on that one and no one seemed to notice.

You do know how I feel about Saunders! Mike Brown got fired after only 5 games of following a legendary coach, Phil Jackson. Nothing Brown could have done would have pleased Laker fans IMO. Randy Wittman? He could whip out his member and urinate on the court and I would still like him better than Flip the Wizards coach. :lol:

(I like Flip the analyst and I think he's fine if he's coaching his team, his players, veterans, and KG).

So, consider that my admission of just liking Wittman for the breath of fresh air that he has been. He's a man who will say he made a mistake or didn't know what he was doing. He will also rip a player privately but not so much publicly. He also reminds me of a parent who disciplines a kid but loves the kid and lets the child try again--Witt does not seem to hold forever grudges.

I see a difference in Wittman's losses. Whereas Flip had talented offensive players under one coach suddenly start scoring 80-something a game, Flip has players who never were. Aside from Nene, AWIZZINGBULLET, who on this roster got it done ANYWHERE ELSE? I'm not blaming a missed layup. Using your underdog fighter analogy, that fighter just doesn't have it to be a champion. I judge Wittman by how well conditioned and how hard the underdog team fights. Do Randy's guys bring the fight?

You mention Doc Rivers. How did Doc coach Orlando? What was his record his first season with Boston? Check it out for yourself:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coa ... do01c.html

Doc had almost IDENTICAL TO EDDIE JORDAN with the Wizards results as Orlando coach. Doc got FIRED at 1-10 just like EJ was 1-10 when Ernie Grunfeld fired him. With Boston, his teams GOT WORSE FOR THREE YEARS and were at 24-58.

I recall thinking Doc can't coach. (Just like I hated Flip's coaching with the Wizards--context matters). Since then, I've seen Doc do consistently well. He's been OUTSTANDING as coach of the Celtics. They really could have won two championships if not for an untimely injury to Kendrick Perkins and one to Rasheed Wallace. Doc can really coach his type of players and talent.

AWHiZZINGBULLET, all those coaches you listed have one advantage with their perennial playoff teams: TALENTED PLAYERS. Randy's guys are scrapping and if they were more talented they would close games better.

I believe Wittman is just as good a coach as those other guys. So is Bernie Bickerstaff. Just my opinion, but coaching depends on your players. You or I might be able to coach the US Men's Olympic team against teams like the Wizards? Right? I'm a pretty quick study. I could lose a ton of weight and buy some real nice suits. I could look the part. I could study other coaches and in a monkey see monkey do way, I could emulate their best practices.

Don't get me wrong. I think Wittman struggles with some lineups and is not elite. I just bet he can be a good coach given talented players. His players like him for a reason and it is not because he is a pushover. He pushes them and they give to the potential for the most part.

For the record, I want Wittman for all of this year. Dave Joerger is a NO BRAINER moving forward--unless Wittman proves to be capably good (gets the Wizards to the playoffs).
Bye bye Beal.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#66 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

You do know how I feel about Saunders! Mike Brown got fired after only 5 games of following a legendary coach, Phil Jackson. Nothing Brown could have done would have pleased Laker fans IMO. Randy Wittman? He could whip out his member and urinate on the court and I would still like him better than Flip the Wizards coach. :lol:

(I like Flip the analyst and I think he's fine if he's coaching his team, his players, veterans, and KG).

So, consider that my admission of just liking Wittman for the breath of fresh air that he has been. He's a man who will say he made a mistake or didn't know what he was doing. He will also rip a player privately but not so much publicly. He also reminds me of a parent who disciplines a kid but loves the kid and lets the child try again--Witt does not seem to hold forever grudges.

I see a difference in Wittman's losses. Whereas Flip had talented offensive players under one coach suddenly start scoring 80-something a game, Flip has players who never were. Aside from Nene, AWIZZINGBULLET, who on this roster got it done ANYWHERE ELSE? I'm not blaming a missed layup. Using your underdog fighter analogy, that fighter just doesn't have it to be a champion. I just Wittman by how well conditioned and how hard the underdog fighter fights. Do Randy's guys bring the fight?

You mention Doc Rivers. How did Doc coach Orlando? What was his record his first season with Boston? Check it out for yourself:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coa ... do01c.html

Doc had almost IDENTICAL TO EDDIE JORDAN with the Wizards results as Orlando coach. Doc got FIRED at 1-10 just like EJ was 1-10 when Ernie Grunfeld fired him. With Boston, his teams GOT WORSE FOR THREE YEARS and were at 24-58.

I recall thinking Doc can't coach. (Just like I hated Flip's coaching with the Wizards--context matters). Since then, I've seen Doc do consistently well. He's been OUTSTANDING as coach of the Celtics. They really could have won two championships if not for an untimely injury to Kendrick Perkins and one to Rasheed Wallace. Doc can really coach his type of players and talent.

AWHiZZINGBULLET, all those coaches you listed have one advantage with their perennial playoff teams: TALENTED PLAYERS. Randy's guys are scrapping and if they were more talented they would close games better.

I believe Wittman is just as good a coach as those other guys. So is Bernie Bickerstaff. Just my opinion, but coaching depends on your players. You or I might be able to coach the US Men's Olympic team against teams like the Wizards? Right? I'm a pretty quick study. I could lose a ton of weight and buy some real nice suits. I could look the part. I could study other coaches and in a monkey see monkey do way, I could emulate their best practices.

Don't get me wrong. I think Wittman struggles with some lineups and is not elite. I just bet he can be a good coach given talented players. His players like him for a reason and it is not because he is a pushover. He pushes them and they give to the potential for the most part.

For the record, I want Wittman for all of this year. Dave Joerger is a NO BRAINER moving forward--unless Wittman proves to be capably good (gets the Wizards to the playoffs).

When I'm comparing him to other coaches I'm not talking records, I'm specifically speaking on last night's game, decision-making and what I felt was a blunder on the Wizards part, the way it played out I'm not even convinced the coaching staff even knew the predicament the Bulls were in. With everyone struggling on offense I think it would've made a lot of sense for the players to make a conscious effort to get more physical, draw fouls, get to the free throw line as much as possible and tack on easy points. Wizards don't exactly catch many breaks, you have an advantage like that and just let it pass. Don't know how long it will be before the Wizards are in such an advantageous spot like that again. Could've been the start of a string of wins, but it wasn't meant to be.
RealGM

Post#67 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:17 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:When I'm comparing him to other coaches I'm not talking records, I'm specifically speaking on last night's game, decision-making and what I felt was a blunder on the Wizards part, the way it played out I'm not even convinced the coaching staff even knew the predicament the Bulls were in. With everyone struggling on offense I think it would've made a lot of sense for the players to make a conscious effort to get more physical, draw fouls, get to the free throw line as much as possible and tack on easy points. Wizards don't exactly catch many breaks, you have an advantage like that and just let it pass. Don't know how long it will be before the Wizards are in such an advantageous spot like that again. Could've been the start of a string of wins, but it wasn't meant to be.

Props to you for wanting the win so badly. One reason I don't get NBA League Pass is I know I would feel the same way about a tactical loss. I didn't watch the game. I listened to the flagship station over the Internet at the end and followed the box score. I have seen Randy do some things in games that I thought were not the best moves and that games might have been won if he made another move. I have also watched on television many games where the Wizards did not get breaks even playing physically. I get upset at almost every Wizards game I watch. Rarely do I get upset with this coach. I question a lineup here and there but he usually adjusts pretty quickly.

It's tough right now. You want the Wizards to win and so do I. However, I think the greater good might be for them to play well and to lose close games. Stringing wins and making the playoffs would be great IMO. Yesterday, that might have been a big win. At the end of that game, though, they had guys named Boozer, Noah, and Hamilton making plays. Washington had on the court Temple, Beal, Mack, etc.

I didn't watch the game. I trust you that it was winnable. I think they would be winning a ton of games with better players.
Bye bye Beal.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#68 » by keynote » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:47 pm

So, DA posted an interview of Shaun Livingston in his NBA.com column. Here's an excerpt:

Me: So when you're deciding between teams, what's the criteria [note: DA is asking Shaun about how to decide between teams as recently-waived player. -keynote]?

SL: Personnel. Playing time. Coaching. That was really it: personnel, playing time, coaching and system.

Me: Any experience with Byron Scott before?

SL: No. (I) obviously knew him as a player back in the day, but as a coach, you know he played. Those type of dynamics, having a player-coach relationship, a coach who played, been in this league.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/d ... f:nbahpt6a

I've heard this song before from several players: all else being equal, they give a greater benefit of the doubt to coaches who played in the League (e.g., would Spree have choked out PJ if PJ had played in the league? Would PJ have ridden Spree to the point where Spree felt the need to choke him out if PJ had been in Spree's shoes? etc.). Has Witt's status as an ex-NBA player really afforded him any additional deference not given to, say, Flip?
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#69 » by LyricalRico » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm betting "played in the league" really means "was a GOOD player in the league" when it's coming from a player.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#70 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:21 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I'm betting "played in the league" really means "was a GOOD player in the league" when it's coming from a player.

I recall Robert Horry not being too impressed with Danny Ainge's NBA experience, Ben Wallace not being too impressed with Scott Skiles' NBA experience, a number of players tuning out NBA vets Don Nelson and Avery Johnson. On the flip side, Larry Brown never made it to the NBA, though he played in the ABA (I saw him on the ABA Capitols), Red Auerbach came before the NBA, but by his own account, he wouldn't have been good enough, and Greg Popovich never played any pro ball, but he seems respected by most players.

Saunders seemed to me a bit aloof compared to Wittman. That could make a difference in the way players view the two. But come on, Shaun, you going to take Gilbert Arenas ( or MWP, or Rodman, or Iverson) as your coach over Saunders?

Return to Washington Wizards