Total votes: 162

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust 

Post#321 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 pm

tontoz wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:According to Mike Lee, Jan now has the 6th worst PER in the NBA. Ironic since his PER is 6 and he was the 6th pick last year.

He isn't the worst on the team though. :lol:

It depends on the minutes cutoff. It looks like Lee used 400 minutes played as the cutoff, which would knock Pargo from consideration.

Here's another fun fact:

Vesely ranks 3rd in the league in fouls per minute at 7.1 per 36 minutes. Only Biedrins and Hollins (both at 7.2) foul more effectively. Nobody else is even close. The next biggest hacker is Aaron Gray at just 6.0 fouls per 36 minutes.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#322 » by tontoz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:11 pm

I was thinking about Collins. Looks like he is about 70 minutes shy of 400.

The 2011 draft was such a waste.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#323 » by montestewart » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:47 pm

tontoz wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:According to Mike Lee, Jan now has the 6th worst PER in the NBA. Ironic since his PER is 6 and he was the 6th pick last year.

He isn't the worst on the team though. :lol:

He's at 6.7. Pargo had an 0.3 (Mack had 10.5). The others near him are no longer on the team, and Seraphin, Singleton, Martin, and Temple (powerhouse numbers between 8.3 and 10) will likely stay ahead of him. Vesely leads the team in PF/36 with 7.1, and he rebounds at the same rate. If not for the six PF limit, he might get more double doubles.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#324 » by Knighthonor » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Watching the summer game, is seem like Jan issue is his long arms. He better shooter at midrange than at the freethirow line.

I would respect if Whitman tested this in a game. Have jan shoot mid range shots rather than drives and free throws.

Tanking anyway. Why not experiment?
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#325 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 am

He still sucks. Really sucks.

Tonight, as John Wall was on fire, I saw Vesely slip two or three picks for Wall to roll to the basket. I'm yelling at the tv:

"where you going, Willis? Your point guard is on fire and you, Jan Vesely, want him to get jammed and doubled so he drops YOU the ball. Really?"

Why Grunfeld hasn't been fired for this draft pick alone is one of life's great mysteries.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#326 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:07 am

I heard Kwame Brown called him.

He said he wants his hands back. :lol:

To bad. I do remember watching a predraft video where they said he had a problem holding onto the ball sometimes.

Is it the small hands thing again ? I mean how small can your hands be when your 6-11. Hell, used to be able to palm the ball and I'm only 5-10.

Dude, buy one of those golf grip things. Grab your girls ass more. Whatever it takes. But get your hands stronger.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#327 » by Jay81 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 am

Vesley is worst player in nba history I believe
SizzlinSimms
Junior
And1: 55

Post#328 » by SizzlinSimms » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:03 am

What did they ever see in him?

Those highlight dunks in the Euro leagues?
hands11
Banned User

Post#329 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm

Wait

Is there not an Amazingly Sucky Vesely Thread yet ?

He a bust is not the same. It has to be an Amazingly Sucky Thread to work.

No wonder Ves is not getting any better. We have failed him as Wizard fans.

So here is the question. Does it have to be an Amazingly Sucky Thread from the beginning to work or can it be a converted thread ?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#330 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 pm

hands11 wrote:Wait

So here is the question. Does it have to be an Amazingly Sucky Thread from the beginning to work or can it be a converted thread ?

Sorry hands11, Vesely is beyond reach. No amount of Amazingly Sucky threads will get through to him. The problem is, he's not merely Amazingly Sucky. He a Bust.
hands11
Banned User

Post#331 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 pm

nate33 wrote:
hands11 wrote:Wait

Sorry hands11, Vesely is beyond reach. No amount of Amazingly Sucky threads will get through to him. The problem is, he's not merely Amazingly Sucky. He a Bust.

Nate Nate Nate. Don't misunderestimate the power of the Amazingly Sucky Thread an those that with pure heart worthy of creating them.

It might not actually get Ves turned around but the mojo could turn him into valuable trade assets. Look how well the Amazingly Sucky R Lewis thread worked out.

This thread title needs changed or an Amazingly Sucky Vesely Thread needs to be bumped or created if one does not exist.

Jan Vesely is the best 6'11+ athlete in NBA history
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1136232&p=29106353

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbMtFF2b7s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTEhFtFhKaQ[/youtube]
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#332 » by Silvie Lysandra » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:49 pm

The thing is, WHY does he suck?

He has NBA skills. Great p&r D. Energy player coming in. Plus athleticism. Good feel for the game and basketball IQ. And his shot was not good, but nowhere near broken.

I think it's less a bad pick and more a development failure - Ves should be a 15-20 mpg hustle player who plays excellent weakside and P&R defense and makes good passes and does the "little things." Instead he's totally useless.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#333 » by tontoz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 pm

hands11 wrote:
nate33 wrote:[Sorry hands11, Vesely is beyond reach. No amount of Amazingly Sucky threads will get through to him. The problem is, he's not merely Amazingly Sucky. He a Bust.

Nate Nate Nate. Don't misunderestimate the power of the Amazingly Sucky Thread an those that with pure heart worthy of creating them.

It is like that old movie line says, "Some men you just can't reach".
hands11
Banned User

Post#334 » by hands11 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:02 am

tontoz wrote:
hands11 wrote:
nate33 wrote:[Sorry hands11, Vesely is beyond reach. No amount of Amazingly Sucky threads will get through to him. The problem is, he's not merely Amazingly Sucky. He a Bust.

It is like that old movie line says, "Some men you just can't reach".

Was that from Broke Back Mountain ? I never saw it.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#335 » by fishercob » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:27 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:The thing is, WHY does he suck?

He has NBA skills. Great p&r D. Energy player coming in. Plus athleticism. Good feel for the game and basketball IQ. And his shot was not good, but nowhere near broken.

I think it's less a bad pick and more a development failure - Ves should be a 15-20 mpg hustle player who plays excellent weakside and P&R defense and makes good passes and does the "little things." Instead he's totally useless.

Nivek was going to dig into this on the blog and I think he got sidetracked with other stuff/real life. It's fun for people to pile on Vesely and simply label him a bust that could never play, but that's not an accurate account of what has actually happened. Vesely did improve over the course of last season. Over the final 19 games of the season he averaged about 26 mpg, 8 pts, almost 7 boards, around a steal, a block and turnover. He shot 56% from the field and 62% from the line. He started the final 15 games of the year and we were 8-7 in those games. We were a very effective team defensively a -- granted, against weak overall competition -- and I recall believing Vesely to be very intuitive and disruptive defensively.

I remind everyone of this not to defend the pick or say Vesely is a good player. But his case is a curious one, because (a) he ended the season on an upward trajectory (b) had a full offseason and training camp with no lockout and (c) has been shockingly bad.

Whatever happened last offseason clearly didn't work. Vesely seemingly added no skills and his loss of confidence is something I've only seen from baseball players (Steve Sax, Mackey Sasser, Ankiel, etc) and golfers. The Wizards have to figure out a way to get Vesely back on the right track. Even if his future is elsewhere, everyone benefits from him rebuilding a bit of value. I would imagine they are going to micro-manage his summer work and push for much of it to be here. Vesely of last spring looked like he was on his way to becoming a useful NBA player, even if he'd never live up to where he was drafted. Right now he's just lost. I feel for the kid. It can't be fun.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
tontoz
RealGM

Post#336 » by tontoz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am

hands11 wrote:Was that from Broke Back Mountain ? I never saw it.

Cool Hand Luke, before my time lol.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061512/trivia
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#337 » by daSwami » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:The thing is, WHY does he suck?

Have you seen his body tho? I mean, like up close (but not in brokeback mtn kinda way). He's got the build of a pre-pubescent boy - all noodle armed and bird-chested. dude gets man-handled on the court. Physically, he was nowhere near ready to play in this league when EG drafted him. He will eventually fill out, and when he does he might turn into a nice player (think Ibaka). He would still need to work on his FT shooting tho.
:banghead:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#338 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 am

He turns 23 in a month. It's getting pretty hard to blame his lack of mass on immaturity. Do we really think he's going to fill out much going forward? Or is he just a guy who can't put on weight? He is just so pathetically weak out there. He tries hard but gets thrown around like a rag doll. Couple that with no offensive skills, poor hands, no handle, and no confidence, and it's pretty hard to see how he's going to turn it around. Even if he does, I think he'll look more like Jeffries than Ibaka. Why wait 4 years to develop the next Jared Jeffries?
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#339 » by daSwami » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:29 am

nate33 wrote:He turns 23 in a month. It's getting pretty hard to blame his lack of mass on immaturity. Do we really think he's going to fill out much going forward? Or is he just a guy who can't put on weight? He is just so pathetically weak out there. He tries hard but gets thrown around like a rag doll. Couple that with no offensive skills, poor hands, no handle, and no confidence, and it's pretty hard to see how he's going to turn it around. Even if he does, I think he'll look more like Jeffries than Ibaka. Why wait 4 years to develop the next Jared Jeffries?

don't be ridiculous. Don't you want to see the magic that a Satoransky/Vesely pairing will bring to the court? And just think how far this franchise has fallen since it cut ties with Pecherov. I'm positive that EG won't make that mistake again with Vesely.
:banghead:
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#340 » by sfam » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm

nate33 wrote:He turns 23 in a month. It's getting pretty hard to blame his lack of mass on immaturity. Do we really think he's going to fill out much going forward? Or is he just a guy who can't put on weight? He is just so pathetically weak out there. He tries hard but gets thrown around like a rag doll. Couple that with no offensive skills, poor hands, no handle, and no confidence, and it's pretty hard to see how he's going to turn it around. Even if he does, I think he'll look more like Jeffries than Ibaka. Why wait 4 years to develop the next Jared Jeffries?

You're probably right about his upper end - the next Jared Jeffries is not worth waiting for. But its certainly worth spending another year's worth of salary to find out. I agree the chances are pretty solid that Vesely was a massive bust ("Are you listening, Ted?"), and hopefully EG will be blamed accordingly for that. But the franchise needs to give him one more offseason before we etch it in the books.

Return to Washington Wizards