Is Jan Vesely a Bust?

Yes, I've seen enough, Jan Vesely is a Bust for a 6th pick
76%
No, let's wait to see how he plays with JW and Nene
24%

Total votes : 161

Post#166 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 pm by mhd

Barron>>>>>>>Vessley even if Earl went 0-8 from the field tonight.
mhd
Head Coach
And1: 222

Post#167 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:47 pm by montestewart

I like that you can vote for both options. Which I did.
montestewart
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#168 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:26 am by JonathanJoseph

I didn't read through this whole thread, but the poll options are flawed.

"Is Vesely a bust for a 6th pick?" is a loaded question. "Is Vesely a bust?" and "Is Vesely a bust for the 6th pick?" are two very different questions.

Vesely is probably not worth a high lottery pick. However, 1) it's possible he will be. 2) It's possible no one else drafted behind him was that much better (Leonard is a role player). 3) I don't think we've seen enough to know.

A few thoughts: I think Vesely will end up "less a bust" than Wall. I think Vesely will be much better just via 20lbs of weight gained and a few years of experience. Tiago Splitter is a similar style player. Vesely has real value and should be playing minutes over Earl Barron.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#169 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 am by nate33

JonathanJoseph wrote:I didn't read through this whole thread, but the poll options are flawed.

"Is Vesely a bust for a 6th pick?" is a loaded question. "Is Vesely a bust?" and "Is Vesely a bust for the 6th pick?" are two very different questions.

Vesely is probably not worth a high lottery pick. However, 1) it's possible he will be. 2) It's possible no one else drafted behind him was that much better (Leonard is a role player). 3) I don't think we've seen enough to know.

A few thoughts: I think Vesely will end up "less a bust" than Wall. I think Vesely will be much better just via 20lbs of weight gained and a few years of experience. Tiago Splitter is a similar style player. Vesely has real value and should be playing minutes over Earl Barron.

You are delusional.

There is no chance whatsoever that Vesely pans out to be worth a high lotto pick. None. And if Wall doesn't play another game in his career, he will still have had a better career than Vesely ever will.

The best Vesely can hope to be is a Jared Jeffries type of player - a hustle player and versatile defender off the bench. The only conceivable way he'll do better than that is if he takes some steroids and bulks up his lower body.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 1,105

Post#170 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:35 am by GhostsOfGil

Jan already added some weight during the offseason which hasn't worked out too well.. It looks like he's lost a step and he doesn't elevate nearly as high as he used to. IIRC he was one of the league leaders in dunks last season where as this year I can't remember him finishing one.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 666

Post#171 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:45 am by nate33

GhostsOfGil wrote:Jan already added some weight during the offseason which hasn't worked out too well.. It looks like he's lost a step and he doesn't elevate nearly as high as he used to. IIRC he was one of the league leaders in dunks last season where as this year I can't remember him finishing one.

Vesely ranked 24th last year in dunks with 63. The leader was Blake Griffin with 192.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#172 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 am by GhostsOfGil

nate33 wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:Jan already added some weight during the offseason which hasn't worked out too well.. It looks like he's lost a step and he doesn't elevate nearly as high as he used to. IIRC he was one of the league leaders in dunks last season where as this year I can't remember him finishing one.

Vesely ranked 24th last year in dunks with 63. The leader was Blake Griffin with 192.

:lol: Ops it might of been rookies only..
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 666

Post#173 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm by JonathanJoseph

nate33 wrote:
JonathanJoseph wrote:I didn't read through this whole thread, but the poll options are flawed.

You are delusional.

There is no chance whatsoever that Vesely pans out to be worth a high lotto pick. None. And if Wall doesn't play another game in his career, he will still have had a better career than Vesely ever will.

The best Vesely can hope to be is a Jared Jeffries type of player - a hustle player and versatile defender off the bench. The only conceivable way he'll do better than that is if he takes some steroids and bulks up his lower body.

I think it's entirely possible that Vesely becomes another Kirilenko type with another year or two of maturity and strength, and Kirilenko is worth a lottery pick. The chances of that happening are probably not above 50%, but the possibility is certainly greater than 0. Vesely has size, athleticism, good instincts and has shown that he can be an effective "glue" player. I'd bet that if he were playing for a smart, veteran team like the Spurs, he would turn into an effective player.

And your point about Wall shows the opposite kind of delusion. When I said "less a bust", I was referring to degree of bust. Every year there are lottery picks who go on to not become NBA-rotation quality players. Coming out of college, the shoe companies projected Wall to be a bigger star than D Rose and Blake Griffin, the number 1 picks right before him. If Wall never played another game, he'd be in the running for biggest bust in NBA history, and as I suspect with his knee he may have lost his top gear which would make him a below average NBA point guard. On a relative scale, that would be a bigger bust than anything you could miss on at the 6th pick.

At the end of the day, it's miserable to be comparing the caliber of Grunfeld's draft busts.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#174 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:24 pm by tontoz

Vesely can't shoot, dribble, rebound or play D. Other than that he is just like AK47. :roll:
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 433

Post#175 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:28 pm by SUPERBALLMAN

Watching the Wizards play Orlando I was reminded of the player I really wanted in that draft, Nikola Vucevic. I couldn't figure out why a legit 7 footer with good size/athleticism who was a very good rebounder and shooter wasn't rated higher. He had a seemingly excellent work ethic, and had proven himself at the major collegiate level.

I posted numerous times about this guy being as good or better than Kanter. He was obviously going to be there for our pick! To me taking him was so obvious. Then comes the draft and the Wizards take Vesely.

Not that taking Vucevic would of changed anything about this season. But he would of been at least a legit #6 pick in the draft.
"Our goals remain the same which is to be a perennial playoff contender." - Ernie Grunfeld
SUPERBALLMAN

Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#176 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:33 pm by closg00

Serious question, would JV even net us a 2nd round pick in next-years draft? When I watch him play, I am still shocked that we by-passed all other potential picks in-favor of snatching him at pick 6.
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 184

Post#177 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:59 pm by WizarDynasty

tontoz wrote:Vesely can't shoot, dribble, rebound or play D. Other than that he is just like AK47. :roll:

lmao. :rofl: Fodder for joke and then the ingenious hilarious analysis of the fodder to capture the state of the wizards and the fans. Keep hope alive.
Wiz'Wise'Wall'Paul'MotionCamera"dynasty-JWALL Worst handles league Get slow motion camera watch # many times Wall bounces ball in 2 seconds offpickcompared 2 CPaul Now compare how much rose moves the ball in air after jumping off 1 foot compare Wall!
WizarDynasty
Starter
And1: 39

Post#178 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:35 am by AFM

Any way we could send this guy to the Redskins secondary? Imagine him at Free Safety. Long, athletic, can wreak havoc on the WRs....
WizarDynasty wrote:Ted is trying to transform you from a bullet .....piece of metal shot from a gin into a wizard....wise.... wisest fans in the .ba. board has a long way to go but ee have wise wizard posters to guide into Ted the savior rescue operation.
AFM
Starter
And1: 772

Post#179 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 am by gambitx777

I have said this before and I will say it again. He needs to go to the D league. He will only learn the NBA game by playing 25-35 minutes a night and he wont get that here. Send him down, let him get some confidence and some experience. Then bring him back up and see if he can play his way in to some trade value. Jan would probably have been a good pick between 24-30. I was on a different board back then but I argued night and day that we should take Kawhi Leonard. Thompson, the Morris twins, Vucevic or Shumpert would have all been better picks. Taking Kenneth Farried that high would have been scowled at, at least at the time, but it would have been much better than taking Jan.
gambitx777
Pro Prospect
And1: 39

Post#180 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:23 am by FAH1223

yeah he needs to go to the D-League and shoot the ball
FAH1223

Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#181 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Wed Jan 2, 2013 1:05 am by FAH1223

this kid idolizes Dirk
FAH1223

Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#182 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:17 pm by rl25g

Nate,
Ves messes up your stats tonight with 10 pts, 7bds and only 2 fouls

Season totals went from

58 pts, 56 bds, 58 fouls
to
68pts, 63 bds, 60 fouls

:rockon:
rl25g

Junior
And1: 7

Post#183 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:51 pm by nate33

rl25g wrote:Nate,

Season totals went from

58 pts, 56 bds, 58 fouls
to
68pts, 63 bds, 60 fouls

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#184 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:52 am by dangermouse

He played well tonight. Scrappy dappy doo.
Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:36 am by dangermouse
dangermouse wrote:44 is my best guess.

I think we make the playoffs, no lower than 6th seed.
dangermouse
Assistant Coach
And1: 169

Post#185 Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:19 am by closg00

rl25g wrote:Nate,

Season totals went from

58 pts, 56 bds, 58 fouls
to
68pts, 63 bds, 60 fouls

Good for Ves, but it's just plain sad that someone scoring 10 points in how-many games? Is a cause for celebration. Jan hustled his ass off and did his thing.
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 184

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Wizards