ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Seraphin Thread - Part II

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Kevin Seraphin Thread - Part II 

Post#101 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:36 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm not defending Seraphin's production. ... He shoots an extremely high percentage (for a big man) from 16-23 feet. He has quick feet and a strong, low center of gravity on defense.

According to hoopdata, the average FG% for a big (PF or C) from 16-23 feet is .385. Seraphin this season: .339.

He did shoot better from that distance last season (.460), but on just 41 attempts. This year, he already has 124 long 2pt attempts. The break-even point on long 2pt attempts is around 42-43%. In his shot selection, he has become very Blatche-like this season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#102 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Nivek wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm not defending Seraphin's production. ... He shoots an extremely high percentage (for a big man) from 16-23 feet. He has quick feet and a strong, low center of gravity on defense.

According to hoopdata, the average FG% for a big (PF or C) from 16-23 feet is .385. Seraphin this season: .339.

He did shoot better from that distance last season (.460), but on just 41 attempts. This year, he already has 124 long 2pt attempts. The break-even point on long 2pt attempts is around 42-43%. In his shot selection, he has become very Blatche-like this season.

Basketball reference has him making 34 of 73 shots for a percentage of .466
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#103 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Wow. Something is screwy between these sites.

Code: Select all

BASKETBALL-REFERENCE                    HOOPDATA             
SERAPHIN        FG      FGA     FG%     FG      FGA     FG%
At-Rim          46      77      .597    62      96      .646
3-9FT           65      166     .392    53      115     .461
10-15FT         55      134     .410    39      90      .433
16-23FT         34      73      .466    42      124     .339

TOT             200     450     .444    196     425     .461

This is 2nd time I've come across a BIG discrepancy on shot distances between these two sites. Time for another message to Joe and Neil. Part of it clearly is that hoopdata isn't as up-to-date, but still. Those are whopping differences that make no sense.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#104 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Nivek wrote:Wow. Something is screwy between these sites.

Code: Select all

BASKETBALL-REFERENCE                    HOOPDATA             
SERAPHIN        FG      FGA     FG%     FG      FGA     FG%
At-Rim          46      77      .597    62      96      .646
3-9FT           65      166     .392    53      115     .461
10-15FT         55      134     .410    39      90      .433
16-23FT         34      73      .466    42      124     .339

TOT             200     450     .444    196     425     .461

This is 2nd time I've come across a BIG discrepancy on shot distances between these two sites. Time for another message to Joe and Neil. Part of it clearly is that hoopdata isn't as up-to-date, but still. Those are whopping differences that make no sense.

I noticed that not long ago. When Beal went on his hot streak his numbers at hoopdata didn't change. However i have a hard time believing br's numbers. I doubt Seraphin is shooting that well on long 2s. He rushes a lot of those shots.

Bottom line is that he rarely gets dunks/layups/foul shots which kills his efficiency. On the other hand there are few bigs in the NBA who can shoot a jump hook with either hand as well as he does. Very strange case.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#105 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:22 pm

I've pinged Joe and Neil to encourage them to work out whatever the discrepancy is. It undercuts the credibility of both to have such significant differences. If it was a shot or two, no biggie. But we're talking roughly 60% difference on the number of long 2pt attempts. Someone's programming is messed up.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#106 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 am

SAC

Though lose and Kevin made a couple of :roll: plays.

But I saw two nice power post moves. I just wish I could post that more then once every 8 games.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#107 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 pm

He seems to be trying to add a drop step which would certainly help him get more high percentage looks. Baby steps i guess.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#108 » by BigA » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Nivek wrote:

I bet most of those long 2s are desperation shots at the end of the clock. I'd give him a pass.
gordito
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#109 » by gordito » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 pm

nuposse04 wrote:I still love Seraphin but this was posted on extremeskins, and is **** hysterical

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blog ... -Flow1.jpg

Dude, that's hilarious. Great find. :lol:
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#110 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 pm

gordito wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:I still love Seraphin but this was posted on extremeskins, and is **** hysterical

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blog ... -Flow1.jpg

Dude, that's hilarious. Great find. :lol:

OMG that's too funny! :lol:
hands11
Banned User

Post#111 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 11:37 pm

Kevin has been showing signs of being more physical and shooting less the last to games.

Nice to see.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#112 » by tontoz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:28 am

Seraphin is playing next to a guy who is constantly moving towards the basket (Nene) and a guy who is a beast on the glass (Okafor) but doesn't seem to be learning a thing from either of them. Very discouraging.
hands11
Banned User

Post#113 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 am

Kevin seems to be learning.

He is playing more physical. He is posting up and passing back out then reposting.

He still took one of those perimeter shots where he was falling backward and of course missed it but I see progress.

Less shots. More rebounds.

That is a good thing.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#114 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 am

Where is the kid that we loved? The kid that played hard every night, the kid with the money jump hook and million dollar smile? I really hope Seraph can get out of this slump and finish the season strong. Seems like a great guy who is working hard to earn his minutes back.
hands11
Banned User

Post#115 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:54 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:Where is the kid that we loved? The kid that played hard every night, the kid with the money jump hook and million dollar smile? I really hope Seraph can get out of this slump and finish the season strong. Seems like a great guy who is working hard to earn his minutes back.

In the long run, this is all for the better. He needs to take his level of play to another level. A more serious level. Like with McGee, there are things we need from him that he has to do first and he needs to do them 90% of the time, not 40-50%.

He is still young. I'm sure he is working hard in practice and that is the right place to get these things worked out. When we see him again, hopefully we see the improvement in his focus and efficiency. Personally, I saw some signs that be was getting more physical.

This isn't the D League. The NBA. Players have to come in a produce efficiently and play their role better then the other options if they want to get out there. Their isn't an opportunity to make lots of mistakes in a game and still win. 14 shots a game is not Kevin's role on this team. Those are starters shot attempts. Right now, he has to prove he is a valid back up. That means defending his position, rebounding and going strong the basket in a 10-12 min slot that provides some relief to Nene and Okafor.

This team already has two young kid in core roles. That is Wall and Beal. All not playing Kevin S right now shows me is that this team is getting more serious and they have better legit options. They are trying to win games not run scrimmages against NBA teams.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#116 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:48 pm

hands11 wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:Where is the kid that we loved? The kid that played hard every night, the kid with the money jump hook and million dollar smile? I really hope Seraph can get out of this slump and finish the season strong. Seems like a great guy who is working hard to earn his minutes back.

In the long run, this is all for the better. He needs to take his level of play to another level. A more serious level. Like with McGee, there are things we need from him that he has to do first and he needs to do them 90% of the time, not 40-50%.

He is still young. I'm sure he is working hard in practice and that is the right place to get these things worked out. When we see him again, hopefully we see the improvement in his focus and efficiency. Personally, I saw some signs that be was getting more physical.

This isn't the D League. The NBA. Players have to come in a produce efficiently and play their role better then the other options if they want to get out there. Their isn't an opportunity to make lots of mistakes in a game and still win. 14 shots a game is not Kevin's role on this team. Those are starters shot attempts. Right now, he has to prove he is a valid back up. That means defending his position, rebounding and going strong the basket in a 10-12 min slot that provides some relief to Nene and Okafor.

This team already has two young kid in core roles. That is Wall and Beal. All not playing Kevin S right now shows me is that this team is getting more serious and they have better legit options. They are trying to win games not run scrimmages against NBA teams.

You're right, I just hope he takes this benching serious. I want him to come back as a more physical player. He needs to make strong moves to the hoop instead of doing the hook shot over and over again. Also he needs to get back to blocking shots and rebounding. I just hope someone is working with him in practice because he seems like he wants to improve and be a good player. Maybe Kevin will finish the season strong and play well next year. I want him to be groomed to become a starter once Okafor and Nene get older
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#117 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 pm

As soon as this kid puts the ball on the floor, he's done. There was a game a few weeks back, it was probably against Philly, I can't remember. He was given a cupcake pass. All he had to do was lay it in or even dunk it, but he put the ball on the floor. He's hesitant, and he is trigger happy with a jump shot that doesn't go in most of the time. I'm not entirely sure where he's learning that, or why he's doing it. Okafor can take that 12-15 footer because he makes it, so does Nene, but those guys also bang inside. Seraphin....IDK. It's make or break with this guy over the next year or so, he's due for an extension and I doubt he'll get one here if he continues to play like this.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
hands11
Banned User

Post#118 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Gotta throw Keven S some props.

He is passing out of the double team a ton better now. It has taken 25 games or so but he is finally figuring it out. Much quicker decision making.

He had 3 assists last night against PHX in 22 minutes

And he went at the rim for a monster dunk in a way that confused me. I thought it was Booker doing it he went up so high.

Its baby steps with him but I see progress. Dare I say.. development.

He is still just 23 years old. Maybe he still turns into something reliable in time. He seems to be learning the game. If he can keep passing out of the post like he has the last few games and gets better at decision making regarding when to shoot.... and he plays aggressive in the post, he could be a reliable bench player next year with an outside shot of eventually growing into a starter in two years.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#119 » by jivelikenice » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Agree...The rebounding still isn't where it needs to be but he's played more steadily as of late. Its a relief that him & Booker have actually been playable the last 1-2 weeks...
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#120 » by nuposse04 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:09 pm

Him and Booker actually compliment one another off the bench pretty well. Booker is rebounding damn well, kind of compensates for that facet of Seraphin's game.

Return to Washington Wizards