ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Seraphin Thread - Part II

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Re: Kevin Seraphin Thread - Part II 

Post#41 » by tontoz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Seraphin really has a major mental block about taking it to the basket strong. Even when he gets an offensive rebound right next to the basket he throws up a quick touch shot rather than trying to dunk.

I just sent him the following tweet

"In Nene's last 6 games he has taken 37 foul shots. In your last 6 games you have taken only 1 foul shot."
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#42 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:50 pm

tontoz wrote:Seraphin really has a major mental block about taking it to the basket strong. Even when he gets an offensive rebound right next to the basket he throws up a quick touch shot rather than trying to dunk.

I just sent him the following tweet

"In Nene's last 6 games he has taken 37 foul shots. In your last 6 games you have taken only 1 foul shot."

With Kevin, Jan and all of these guys they are who they are. Kevin is not an aggressive post player like Nene. Jan is going to pass that ball immediately unless he can finish uncontested at the rim. Randy and the assistants try to preach to them but they remain who they are as players. It's hard to change......especially if you are a Wizard.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#43 » by hands11 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:02 am

Can you tweak him something like ... stop playing like such a pus or Hey Kev, stop playing like a 12 year old girl. You're 6-9 275. Play like it. Take it strong to the basket.

Just a thought because 2 rebound and no FTAs game after game isn't getting it done
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#44 » by AFM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:47 am

He is like a hook shot robot. Doesn't matter what the D gives him, he's going for the hook shot baby!!!
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#45 » by Halcyon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:49 am

This guy is mechanical because he hasn't played the game for that long. You can tell he has low bball iq, and bad overall awareness. As long as he has no moves towards the basket and doesnt crash the boards hard, he's going to be a bench player.
Sebzor
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Post#46 » by Sebzor » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:37 pm

would you trade seraphin & vesely + 2nd rounder for D. Williams + 2nd rounder?
"So, the caterpillar has emerged from its cocoon as a shark, with a gun for a mouth."
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
tontoz
RealGM

Post#47 » by tontoz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:45 pm

He did make a nice spin move last night and got to the rim but missed the dunk. The previous game he drove all the way from the 3 point line left handed for a layup. Baby steps i guess.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#48 » by tontoz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Take last week for example. An old NBA-TV special came on television featuring a behind the scenes look at none-other-than former Wizard Gilbert Arenas. Seraphin became infatuated with the way Arenas "sleeps at the gym." Immediately following the television piece, Seraphin drove to the Verizon Center and took 1,020 shots, leaving the facility around midnight.

Back on December 7th, Seraphin refused to celebrate his 23rd birthday out on the town, even with his roommate Taylor and girlfriend Allison pestering him that he deserved to have some fun. "We keep losing. I feel guilty to celebrate. Not this year," said Seraphin in a frustrated tone.

http://www.wusa9.com/sports/article/234 ... est-Player

Great quote, dubious title to the article lol.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#49 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:57 am

Lots of great quotes from ML new article, here is the obvious stuff that somehow never seems to translate into actual practice for Kevin so-far.

Teams are gearing up to slow down Seraphin, who finished strongly after the Wizards dealt JaVale McGee to Denver — he scored at least 10 points in 22 of the final 25 games last season. Seraphin said that when he got the ball inside against Cleveland, he received a triple team.

Wittman has urged Seraphin to use his imposing, 6-foot-9, 275-pound frame to attack the opposition inside, rather than only taking floaters and hook shots. Seraphin has attempted just 19 free throws this season and missed his only two attempts in the past six games.

In contrast, Nene has attempted 87 free throws in 14 games — an average of 6.2 per game. Seraphin has not attempted more than four free throws in a game this season.

“With a body like that and his quickness and strength,” Wittman said, shaking his head. “I mean, Nene’s played, I think, 400 less minutes and has taken a million more free throws than him.

“Kevin right now is just content with avoiding contact and we’re trying to teach him, especially in a crowd, to pump fake, pump fake, and get a guy in the air and try to score. If not, you get two free throws.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,290

Post#50 » by dobrojim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Nene doesn't have to make it complicated

just tell him to stop playing like a sissy
(and while you're at it, grab some freakin rebounds will ya?)

I do wonder what happened to his touch. For a while his
jump hook and face up jumper were falling regularly.
Recently not so much at all(understatement). One wonders what's changed?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#51 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Sissy is probably good enough. I had a couple more words in mind that a professed Christian should not think to utter which would describe Seraphin avoiding contact.

jim, what he said in the article might be part of the problem. "We keep losing. I feel guilty to celebrate."

Seems to me Seraphin is simply trying too hard and he's not at all confident any more. He is a young guy who is in a hurry. Instead of being in a good groove and the ball just coming out freely I think he is tight. Relaxed muscles respond differently than tight ones. Kevin was relaxed and confident the last 25 games of last season.

Now, he feels guilty--which could mean he feels extra obligated and is trying too hard to do too much too soon. Everything is forced about his game right now. He's pressing. That's my theory, jim, as to why the jump hook and the face up aren't falling.

When I shoot around, if I try too hard I tend to aim my shots and my arm gets tight. My shot gets a little strong and I tend to recoil my hand and arm too much on the release. I think Seraphin is pressing and I bet Wittman isn't helping his confidence a bit. I believe Kevin Seraphin might be like my 12-yr old, he presses and rushes at times when he really just needs to be relaxed and to let the game come to him.

As for getting in the paint and drawing fouls, dude needs to do Mikan drills. Kevin would really benefit by working with Hakeem on ball fakes and up and under moves, basically the Dream Shake moves. Seraphin needs to be comfortable adding finishing moves near the basket and not just his hook and face up shots.
Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#52 » by dobrojim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:42 pm

I used another word in front of my daughters that begins with P and
originally referred to cats. She gave me a dirty look for that so I'm cleaning
up my act. Whichever word we're using, everyone understands.

I believe there MAY be something to what you're saying. He's pressing.
My fastest ever 10K I remember being tense at one point before reminding
myself to loosen up and run easy. This resulted in an immediate increase
in speed with less effort. Kevin oughta be havin fun out there banging smaller
players around. Problem is when he does that he gets whistled up and ends
up sitting with fouls. He's gotta learn to be aggressive and in so doing, put the
defenders off balance so HE'll get the call. Pump fakes, up and under...he stated
long ago Dream was his model. He could add McHale. Either way, he's got work
to do. First step is to relax and flow.

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,593

Post#53 » by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 pm

KISS approach. Instead of name-calling and long-winded diatribes, just Keep It Simple, Seraphin.

Some coaches have a "no dunking" policy in practice. Just reverse that. Tell Seraphin that the only buckets he's allowed to score are dunks or layups. No hooks, no floaters, no jumpshots.

Tangentially, Okafor has better form on his jumper than I had thought. Too bad the outcome is still pretty bad.
Bullets -> Wizards
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#54 » by dobrojim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Or how about Don't Settle?

He can shoot Js and jump hooks and he never really forces the
issue much by doing it. He needs to drive, ball fake, do whatever
it takes to make the defender do more than the most rudimentary of
defensive moves. Then he should at least have the chance to
draw a foul.

hands11
Banned User

Post#55 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 3:53 am

How much longer to do you give Kevin S

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... pke01.html

Per 36
His rebounding rate is going down
Blks down
FT% down
FTA down
Steals down

eFG down
TS% down
ORTG down

USG% up
AST% up

He is getting worse, not better.
hands11
Banned User

Post#56 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:04 am

closg00 wrote:Lots of great quotes from ML new article, here is the obvious stuff that somehow never seems to translate into actual practice for Kevin so-far.

Teams are gearing up to slow down Seraphin, who finished strongly after the Wizards dealt JaVale McGee to Denver — he scored at least 10 points in 22 of the final 25 games last season. Seraphin said that when he got the ball inside against Cleveland, he received a triple team.

Wittman has urged Seraphin to use his imposing, 6-foot-9, 275-pound frame to attack the opposition inside, rather than only taking floaters and hook shots. Seraphin has attempted just 19 free throws this season and missed his only two attempts in the past six games.

In contrast, Nene has attempted 87 free throws in 14 games — an average of 6.2 per game. Seraphin has not attempted more than four free throws in a game this season.

“With a body like that and his quickness and strength,” Wittman said, shaking his head. “I mean, Nene’s played, I think, 400 less minutes and has taken a million more free throws than him.

“Kevin right now is just content with avoiding contact and we’re trying to teach him, especially in a crowd, to pump fake, pump fake, and get a guy in the air and try to score. If not, you get two free throws.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

And now that he clearly is not listening to you. Bench him and let C Singleton give it a try. You don't get chances forever in this league. I think Kevin was one of the targets of Nene speaking out.

To bad Big Baby is already taken because that would be perfect for Kevin. Big P maybe. Charmion ?. I don't won't to do the French thing because that offended some.

This kid has a lot to learn. For starters, Randy should forbid him to take that mid range anymore until he grabs some rebounds and get to the line. No shots outside of 5 feet. Just make it not an option and force him to do these other things until he adds them. Then he can add them back again later. Or sit his big behind.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,724

Post#57 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, they need to rip the euro play out of him! He seem to not want to give it up, last night he played a little bit tougher but still he needs to just get in there and bang, not more fade a ways.
hands11
Banned User

Post#58 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 2:58 am

Indy game 1/2/12

Props to Kevin for grabbing 9 boards tonight. But still had zero FTAs. Made a nice drive.

16 pts in 31 minutes.

Much better.

Do it again but lets get a few more FTAs.

Mostly improved play except for 19 turnovers for the team.

Trevor A and Wall would have helped what they were missing tonight.

Temple with 7 assists but 0-3 no pts. Still short on PG skills.

Nice to see C Singleton back out there. He game them some production in his minutes. Not monster stats but something solid.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#59 » by AFM » Thu Jan 3, 2013 4:57 am

Hands I actually thought this was one of his weakest games to date. Definitely his softest, I was screaming at the TV he played so soft.
He never gets an aggressive rebound. Being one of the tallest players on the court and playing 31 minutes is going to net you 5 or 6 rebounds that just fall into your lap. He definitely wasn't battling on the boards.
hands11
Banned User

Post#60 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 5:15 am

AFM wrote:Hands I actually thought this was one of his weakest games to date. Definitely his softest, I was screaming at the TV he played so soft.
He never gets an aggressive rebound. Being one of the tallest players on the court and playing 31 minutes is going to net you 5 or 6 rebounds that just fall into your lap. He definitely wasn't battling on the boards.

6-9 is only an inch taller then C Singleton. Its not that tall for an NBA forward.

9 rebounds in 31 mins in a lot better then what he did last game. Its his best rebounding game since 12/4

Return to Washington Wizards