ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - 02/06/13)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,320

Re: Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - present) 

Post#1061 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:41 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:What do y'all think of this trade? http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=baou5sv
Washington trades Emeka Okafor, Jordan Craford, Kevin Seraphin, 1st rd pick from Boston, 2nd rd pick
Boston trades Brandon Bass, Jeff Green, 1st rd pick
Sacramento trades Demarcus Cousins, Francisco Garcia/John Salmons
Was gets Demarcus Cousins, Brandon Bass, Garcia/Salmons
Bos gets Okafor, Crawford
Sac gets Green, Seraphin, 1st rd pick from Bos, and 2nd rd pick from Was

Our line-up:
Wall/Price/Temple
Beal/Garcia/Martin
Webster/Ariza/Singleton
Bass/Booker/Vesely
Cousins/re-sign Barron?

Maybe, we can round out the roster with a Nene for Humphries, Brooks and 1st rd pick from Brooklyn.

Sacramento gets screwed.

I don't know why you are involving Boston. All they do is suck value from this trade. Jeff Green has one of the worst contracts in the league. Brandon Bass' contract has negative value as well. The 16th pick in a weak draft isn't enough to make up the difference.

I like the idea of trying to involve Okafor and a 3rd team in a Cousins trade - just don't use Boston. The trade would look something like this:

Washington trades: Seraphin, 2013 1st (top 3 prot), Okafor
Washington receives: Cousins, expiring contract

Sacramento trades: Cousins
Sacramento receives: Seraphin, WAS 2013 1st, Team X mid-1st

Team X trades: mid 1st pick, expiring contract
Team X receives: Okafor
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1062 » by TGW » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:57 pm

It would only makes sense to take on Gay if Nene goes. After a trade like that, you have dedicated like $40MM+ to 3 good but not great players (Nene, Gay, Okafor). Not a good way to spend money.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1063 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Team X giving up a Mid 1st and an expiring for Okafor seems odd.

As for Gay, the only salary that I imagine that we'd be willing to give up in such a deal would be Okafor/Ariza.

At this point though to be honest, there just aren't many good players available in the league worth trading for. Just in terms of what we need: A quality 1st option scorer, there's nobody that really fits the bill. Gay would be OKAY, but at that contract it's not worth it.

At this point the only trade I'm even willing to entertain is for Dwight Howard. Again, I think its a great deal for both teams: They get our pick this year, expirings in Okafor/Ariza, and get to go into 2014 with Nash being the only contract on their roster and a nice pick from this year.

Aside from that I don't know what to do though. I really like the defense this team is playing with, and moving both Okafor and Ariza for a solid scorer seems like it would be a net negative overall.

Somehow Grunsfeld keeps finding ways to live forever it seems...I'm coming around to his mindset.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1064 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:12 pm

TGW wrote:It would only makes sense to take on Gay if Nene goes. After a trade like that, you have dedicated like $40MM+ to 3 good but not great players (Nene, Gay, Okafor). Not a good way to spend money.

I agree with you from a financial standpoint.

Talentwise, a Nene for Gay swap would be a terrible move. Gay offers only a marginal improvement from our existing SF rotation of Webster/Ariza. But the downgrade from Nene at PF to the Vesely/Booker combo would be disastrous. Frankly, the same argument applies if it's a Gay for Okafor swap.

It's just a really bad idea. I sincerely hope the Wizards aren't seriously considering acquiring Gay.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1065 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Team X giving up a Mid 1st and an expiring for Okafor seems odd.

Fair point. It might have to be a 2014 contract (i.e. exchange Okafor for a really crappy player with the same size contract plus a pick).
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#1066 » by leswizards » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Nivek wrote:Agree completely with saying no to the thought of trading Okafor for Green or Bass. Green was a bad contract from the moment it was signed. Astonishing move from what's usually a smart front office. Bass's contract is less onerous, but he's not productive and he's signed for 3 years for 10-12% of the cap. No thanks.

I don't understand the problem with Bass. He makes half of what Okafor does, and he is only signed for one extra season. He has only had one bad season in his career (this one). Unless I had some reason to believe that his career was essientially over, I would roll the dice on the opportunity he could rebound next season. If he rebounds next season, he becomes an easily movable asset. But, I think it is all a moot point as the salaries don't match.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1067 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:41 pm

leswizards wrote:
Nivek wrote:Agree completely with saying no to the thought of trading Okafor for Green or Bass. Green was a bad contract from the moment it was signed. Astonishing move from what's usually a smart front office. Bass's contract is less onerous, but he's not productive and he's signed for 3 years for 10-12% of the cap. No thanks.

I don't understand the problem with Bass. He makes half of what Okafor does, and he is only signed for one extra season. He has only had one bad season in his career (this one). Unless I had some reason to believe that his career was essientially over, I would roll the dice on the opportunity he could rebound next season. If he rebounds next season, he becomes an easily movable asset. But, I think it is all a moot point as the salaries don't match.

Okafor is a better player. I'd rather keep him on the roster for one more season (after this one) and then reclaim that cap money a year earlier than take on a less productive player for an extra year. Plus, I think Okafor will be the more valuable trade asset.

I understand your reasoning here, and I think it could be a viable strategy. It's just not how I would do it.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#1068 » by jivelikenice » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Do not trade Okafor yet! All the big market teams will be positioning themselves for the '14 FA class. Okafor is a perfect trade chip next year since he'll be an expiring contract AND he'll be able to contribute to a contender while his contract runs out (he's not dead weight).....Wait until the offseason or next years deadline and take a deal if its great, or just let him expire.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1069 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm

well, like i said i think he has an ETO meaning he is basically a expiring. So, if you trade him to a contender now, they can still be players in free agency in the summer. So i would try something like this.

Okafur, singleton, and crawford to the hawks
and
Zaza, perto, morrow, jenkins and 1 or 2 of their first round picks.

Okafur and crawford loads them up for a play off run with their two most injury prone positions and singleton give them more D at the 3. Plus Zaza just got injured, they don't seem high on petro and Morrow is also hurt. Plus they can just wait and bring back who ever we cut.

we get cap relief, we will cut morrow, and either Zaza or petro. Jenkins is a nice piece to develop and those pick could help us draft a nice big and a shooter or we can use one or both of them to move up in the draft and get a better player.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1070 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:39 pm

why would we want draft picks from this years draft?

Seraphin needs to have a decent game against minny, maybe we can use that as a staging game as way to pull off a derrick williams trade.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1071 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:44 pm

because this years draft is well underrated!
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#1072 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm

gambitx777 wrote:because this years draft is well underrated!

Its very top heavy, I think everything after the "top 5" has massive bust potential. Not say you can't find quality players, but I think we're better served on finding a player that help right away, which would be hard to find later in the draft.
Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Post#1073 » by Deivy202 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:27 pm

nate33 wrote:
TGW wrote:It would only makes sense to take on Gay if Nene goes. After a trade like that, you have dedicated like $40MM+ to 3 good but not great players (Nene, Gay, Okafor). Not a good way to spend money.

I agree with you from a financial standpoint.

Talentwise, a Nene for Gay swap would be a terrible move. Gay offers only a marginal improvement from our existing SF rotation of Webster/Ariza. But the downgrade from Nene at PF to the Vesely/Booker combo would be disastrous. Frankly, the same argument applies if it's a Gay for Okafor swap.

It's just a really bad idea. I sincerely hope the Wizards aren't seriously considering acquiring Gay.

Are you really trying to imply a washed up Ariza and a decent bench player in Webster are almost as equal as Rudy Gay?

And I disagree Rudy gay is a better defender -Rebounder-scorer and much more talented player than both of them . IDK why people think he is a bum or something who cares about his dumb contract regardless we have a good unit that is playing like a 500. to 600. team that was injured early on. Id like to keep our pick but more and more we play hard we are likely to not stay top 5 just look at how we improved . Rudy is a excellent piece and pick up if we can obtain him . You have to do trades to improve and risk it other wise we are fooling our selves and if Rudy was so (overrated ) than why are teams interesting in him via just like the Gasol and Howard situation there not bad there being miused .
Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Post#1074 » by Deivy202 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 pm

nuposse04 wrote:

Its very top heavy, I think everything after the "top 5" has massive bust potential. Not say you can't find quality players, but I think we're better served on finding a player that help right away, which would be hard to find later in the draft.

Agreed.

We are gonna have to hope we keep losing but problem is we have won more than lose these past few games. Face it guys look who are on the trade block.

Gasol
Howarde
Rudy Gay
Barbinni
Love

etc any of those guys would improve our team either its Gay or Howard or Gasol we need better talent. The Dwight howard situation is amazingly very interesting depending what the Lakers would want we probably could offer something useful.

Rudy WIll be a Wizards mark it and maybe another player we need to trade for players other wise we will always be avg , just look at the NY knicks or Brook or even the Heat , only team who drafted well was the thunder .
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1075 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 pm

I dont think so, there are good player back in this draft and mid round there are some nba starting caliber talent that is being over looked. there are going to be teams looking to save money by moving back., we could take advantage of that . plus those hawks pick would be mid round. we can move those picks once we have them two.

Also, question for you guys. the suns as of right now have 2 picks 4 and 11 if they end up there and we get number 1. do you think a trade back would be a good idea. we then have to loto picks witch am find with.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1076 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Deivy202 wrote:Are you really trying to imply a washed up Ariza and a decent bench player in Webster are almost as equal as Rudy Gay?

Yes. Absolutely. Gay is better than either guy, but not by all that much. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 5 being an average starter, Gay is probably a 6, and Webster and Ariza are probably 4's. Getting Gay would be an improvement, but only a modest one.

If we traded Nene to get Gay, we would be losing our PF. Nene is probably an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. He would be replaced by Booker/Vesely. Booker is somewhere between a 2 or 3. Vesely is a 1. That's a huge downgrade.

Deivy202 wrote:if Rudy was so (overrated ) than why are teams interesting in him

If teams were so interested he would have been traded by now. These rumors are being drummed up by Memphis in an attempt to stimulate demand. Memphis is not going to get anywhere near the asking price of expiring contracts plus a pick and a decent replacement.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#1077 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Deivy202 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:

Agreed.

We are gonna have to hope we keep losing but problem is we have won more than lose these past few games. Face it guys look who are on the trade block.

Gasol
Howarde
Rudy Gay
Barbinni
Love

etc any of those guys would improve our team either its Gay or Howard or Gasol we need better talent. The Dwight howard situation is amazingly very interesting depending what the Lakers would want we probably could offer something useful.

Rudy WIll be a Wizards mark it and maybe another player we need to trade for players other wise we will always be avg , just look at the NY knicks or Brook or even the Heat , only team who drafted well was the thunder .

I'm assuming Barbinni=Bargs, and if so...I am appalled.

This isn't the year to trade for a quality starter, our trade chips haven't optimized their value yet. The '14 draft class plus free agency will be the one where we ought to make a move. Rudy Gay, at his salary, will not put this team over the top.

We have serviceable starters (it seems anyways) until next season where we can make a slash. We need to fix our bench. That's why I'd rather advocate going after guys like D. Williams, Patterson and Ridinour.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1078 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:56 pm

We need to stay away from A.B. and gay. they are over paid and not that good. We need to make sure the guys we bring in are worth what we pay them. gay and A.B. are not worth what they are paid.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1079 » by Dat2U » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:15 am

Going all in:

Deal #1:

Wiz trade F/C Nene
Hawks trade F Josh Smith

Deal #2

Wiz trade C Emeka Okafor, F/C Kevin Seraphin, F Trevor Ariza & 2013 Unprotected 1st round pick
Lakers trade C Dwight Howard, C Robert Sacre & G Steve Blake

Either the Wizards lose both in free agency & become flush with cap space or they re-sign both and we make a legit run with a Howard, Smith, Wall & Beal core.

Thoughts?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1080 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:30 am

Count me in, Dat. Maybe Dwight can get Josh to relax some (When he gets uptight, you can see he's going to force ugly shots.). Our foul shooting would be foul, but we'd score inside and defend better than anyone else.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards