ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - 02/06/13)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Re: Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - present) 

Post#961 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Throwing in a '14 pick scares me, mainly because that draft looks like it's going to make up for some of these recent ones.

If Howard bolts, and were flush with cap space.... I'm not sure I'd rush into using the cap space to try to build an immediate contender. And I'd likely be looking at the '14 draft and Andrew Wiggins (who reminded of a young & healthy Grant Hill when I watched him play recently on ESPN) and thinking to myself would it be smarter to keep the powder clean for a year, get another high draft pick & then go all in.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#962 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Even though were a still looking at a '13 lottery pick this offseason, I'd still put more trade value on our '14 pick. That draft just appears much deeper.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#963 » by jivelikenice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Why throw away '14 picks for Howard when there's no shot he stays?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#964 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm

This is a waste of time.

We can't get Howard without giving up a high pick. There is no reason for LA to trade him otherwise. And we won't trade a pick for him unless he agrees to an extension.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#965 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:07 pm

nate33 wrote:This is a waste of time.

We can't get Howard without giving up a high pick. There is no reason for LA to trade him otherwise. And we won't trade a pick for him unless he agrees to an extension.

You have this hilarious habit of declaring certain discussions waste of time -- as if ALL of this isn't a waste of time.

:D
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#966 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:22 pm

fishercob wrote:

You have this hilarious habit of declaring certain discussions waste of time -- as if ALL of this isn't a waste of time.

True.

I'll rephrase. This isn't even worth discussion because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. There isn't a permutation of the deal that will make both sides happy unless we first get Howard to agree to an extension.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#967 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:25 pm

fishercob wrote:

How true, fish.

Of all the thousands of trades proposed in the trade checker, I would guess less than one in 50,000 ever comes to fruition.

I suggested a couple things over the past 15-20 years that have happened but even those were needles in a hay stack of ideas proposed. Yet, they still shocked me when they actually happened. When I take things too seriously and forget this is fun I feel guilty about devoting time and energy into this.

It's really good the Wizards are playing well. At least when things are good you can have fun with this instead of i being laborious and draining at times. All the posts about Ted and EG when things were down, and Wall's injury; they were draining as I don't know what. Wastes of time.
Bye bye Beal.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Re: If we trade Nene/Okafor/Ariza, who's picking up the slac 

Post#968 » by DaRealHibachi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Knighthonor wrote:get replacements in the draft. they wont be around for long.

Which was also my question: who in the draft (at our slot) can we get to replace Nene's passing and scoring or Okafor's rebounding and defense..??

Zonkerbl wrote:Really liking Okafor's game right now. Overpaid but really helping us out. Ariza too, although to a much lesser extent.

If we trade Okariza we would need a starting center in return. Ariza can be replaced in the draft, Oke not so much.

This is exactly what I mean, how do we expect to get better/reach the playoffs next year when we won't even the talent we have this year (IMO)...???

fishercob wrote:this really belongs in the trade thread...

...or Draft Thread/Kool-Aid Thread/Free Agents Thread...

Thanks for the contribution though...
:beer: Magnumt
fishercob
RealGM

Post#969 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Easy, killer. Nothing personal. Just trying to keep it clean around here.
— Steve Martin
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#970 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Doubt Nene goes anywhere. Okafor will probably be traded next year since he's an expiring. Should the Wizards get Noel, Okafor would be there to bridge the gap.

Second, I may be a homer so take this prediction with a grain of salt but I really think Ariza is going to opt out and become a free agent.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#971 » by jivelikenice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Let me throw something into the equation. Would you be willing to be the third party in a Brooklyn/LA deal where Lopez ends up here. I'm assuming LA wouldn't want to take on Brook's long-term deal and might be more enticed with a package centered around guys like Okafor, Ariza, Humphries, Brooks, picks. That would allow them to compete more now, not tie in long-term money, and gather picks for the post Kobe era.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#972 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Let me throw something into the equation. Would you be willing to be the third party in a Brooklyn/LA deal where Lopez ends up here. I'm assuming LA wouldn't want to take on Brook's long-term deal and might be more enticed with a package centered around guys like Okafor, Ariza, Humphries, Brooks, picks. That would allow them to compete more now, not tie in long-term money, and gather picks for the post Kobe era.

I would. Like everything else, it would depend on the terms of the deal, but Lopez is good. But, Lopez is having a break-out year, and he's still just 24.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#973 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Let me throw something into the equation. Would you be willing to be the third party in a Brooklyn/LA deal where Lopez ends up here. I'm assuming LA wouldn't want to take on Brook's long-term deal and might be more enticed with a package centered around guys like Okafor, Ariza, Humphries, Brooks, picks. That would allow them to compete more now, not tie in long-term money, and gather picks for the post Kobe era.

Yes. If LA preferred to launder Lopez through us, I'd be in favor. Lopez to DC. Okafor to LA. Make it so.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#974 » by jivelikenice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 pm

I toyed around with it and this works:

LA trades:
Dwight Howard
Steve Blake

LA receives:
Emeka Okafor
Kris Humphries
Marshwon Brooks
Chris Singleton
Picks (Maybe a 2014 pick from us protected and something from Brooklyn)

Brooklyn trades:
Brook Lopez
kris Humphries
Marshown Brooks

Brooklyn receives:
Dwight Howard
Steve Blake

Wash trades:
Emeka Okafor
Chris Singleton
a 2014 first round pick (with some protections)

Wash receives:
Brook Lopez
fishercob
RealGM

Post#975 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:05 pm

I just know that if we were to acquire a maxed out Brook Lopez he would surely cripple himself and never play again.
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#976 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:07 pm

So, something like Nene to LAL, Lopez to Washington, and Howard to Brooklyn with some accoutrements thrown in. Gotta figure for the Lakers purposes, Nene is a much better fit than Okafor.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#977 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Okay, here's a nutty, off the wall trade idea that's so nuts it might work:

Wizards trade
- Okafor
- Ariza
- Vesely
- Singleton
- Booker
- Crawford
- 2013 1st round pick

Wizards get
- Pau Gasol
- Brook Lopez

Brooklyn trades
- Lopez
- Humphries

Brooklyn gets
- Dwight Howard
- Vesely
- Singleton
- Booker
- Crawford

Lakers trade
- Gasol
- Howard

Lakers get
- Okafor
- Humprhies
- Ariza
- Wizards pick

Or, should Brooklyn get the pick?

Or, should the Wizards just get to keep the pick?
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#978 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:08 pm

On second thought, the Nets were supposedly trying to get Minnesota to give up Kevin Love for Lopez. Nothing we can send the Lakers rivals Love or close.
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#979 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 pm

I guess if the Lakers come to the trade deadline and realize - they're not making the playoffs, it is rebuilding time, and that Wiz 2013 pick looks awfully good. Then something like Nivek's trade might be considered.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#980 » by fugop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 pm

I think we are a decent trade partner with the Lakers, but not for Dwight. I could see them valuing Crawford, Ariza, and even Vesely. Crawford would give some youth and athleticism at guard beside Kobe, Ariza length and quickness at the 3, and Vesely the ability to effectively defend the pick and roll. A couple of options:

Vesely + Crawford for Steve Blake + LA Lakers pick
Vesely + Crawford for Jordan Hill + LA Lakers pick
Crawford + Ariza to LA, Steve Nash and Jan Vesely to Indiana, Granger to Washington

Return to Washington Wizards