Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely - reinstated 12/25

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely 

Post#61 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:00 pm

You know what I find Ironic?

Three years ago I said I thought Cousins was the best player on Kentucky and the best player in the draft, not John Wall. (Greg Monroe is probably better then either of them.) It is ironic that people who didn't want Cousins then want him now, but I've got concerns. But I STILL think he's a better basketball player than John Wall. John has superstar athleticism and a much higher ceiling. Boogie is potentially a grinder, but his mindset clouds things. Nivek, I don't think Cousins was fools gold playing his best ball last season. This season his numbers are a little off. His shots have been terrible but would they if he had better teammates? I also have to wonder about his mood swings. Cousins numbers might only be off on the boards because Robinson was drafted and he boards less now per minute. However, I think his interpersonal confrontations are becoming more alarming. But if that guy's mind is right, I have NO DOUBT his game can help.

I think Cousins with Nene, Seraphin, and Wall would be the quick turnaround for the Wizards. They already win with Nene on the court. They would become better than good with good health and those players.

I hope things work out that Washington gets Cousins and keeps the guys I think they need to keep. Beal could mesh with Wall. Cousins with Wall. All the three bigs could mesh well. If they kept Ariza with those guys and his usage came down, that would work. Nivek, I could see DC being a great stop for Cousins because his rebounds and aggression would be right on time with the ballers they potentially have on the court.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#62 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Nivek, In addition to keeping Wall, Beal, and this years 1st round pick, I would also keep Nene and Seraphin.

Of course, that would be preferable. But do you mean to tell me that if Sacramento called and offered a straight up Cousins for Seraphin trade, you would turn it down?

Let's be reasonable here, CCJ. You gotta give up something to get something.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#63 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I agree with those who say trade Nene before Seraphin, BTW.

That's an interesting question.

I understand the thought behind trading Nene for Cousins so we can keep two good young bigs, but I personally think it will backfire. Cousins is a headcase and this organization would have to get everything right in terms of putting the right structure around him so that he can mature. I really don't think Step One of the process should be to trade away our best big man, our best role player, and the one guy good enough that Cousins would respect him.

Not only that, but Nene would mean more immediate wins, and wins have a way of promoting team chemistry and continued good work habits. Finally, I don't think Seraphin and Cousins together is such a great fit on the court. Both want the ball. Neither will pass. And neither are the type of long, lanky mobile player that you want for help defense.

Trade Seraphin and a protected pick for Cousins. Dump Ariza and Okafor by the trade deadline. At a high lotto pick and one good free agent (preferably a stretch 4) to the core of Wall, Beal, Nene and Cousins (plus Booker, Webster and Crawford). That team might only be mediocre next year, but they should be pretty good after that.
RealGM

Post#64 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:19 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Nivek, In addition to keeping Wall, Beal, and this years 1st round pick, I would also keep Nene and Seraphin.

Of course, that would be preferable. But do you mean to tell me that if Sacramento called and offered a straight up Cousins for Seraphin trade, you would turn it down?

Tell that to New Orleans, nate.

--What did the Hornets give up to get all that cap relief while also sending Okafor and Ariza to the Wizards?

I like to be fair. I get your point. Occasionally, however, the other guy is a sucker. What did the Lakers get out of Kwame for Caron?

I hope Ernie can pull a rabbit out of his hat again! All is fair in love, war, and making NBA trades. :D
Bye bye Beal.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#65 » by DCZards » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:21 pm

He tries to start a post-game fight with Spurs color commentator Sean Elliott for something Elliott said about him during the game. He gets suspended for punching OJ Mayo in the groin. He gets suspended indefinitely for cursing out his coach at half-time. And this has all taken place in the last month.

I know Cousin's is talented but I'm not anxious to give up a big with potential (Seraphin) for a knucklehead like that.
RealGM

Post#66 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:29 pm

DCZards wrote:He tries to start a post-game fight with Spurs color commentator Sean Elliott for something Elliott said about him during the game. He gets suspended for punching OJ Mayo in the groin. He gets suspended indefinitely for cursing out his coach at half-time. And this has all taken place in the last month.

I know Cousin's is talented but I'm not anxious to give up a big with potential (Seraphin) for a knucklehead like that.

+1

DCZ, I think it is CRAZY to think about giving up value for Cousins right now. They WANT to unload the guy. Give them Booker, Singleton, picks a long ways off and even try to get THEM to take Okafor, who really is IMO a genius of some sort, a solid human being, and not a terrible basketball player. He's average but overpaid IMO.

I forgot about the groin strike, DCZ. IMO that guy's meds need adjusting or he's lapsing into rapid cyclin behavior for some other reasons. Test him for substances. Get to the ROOT of whatever is going on with DeMarcus. And only offer safe deals to get him. Keep Nene and Seaphin and Wall and Beal around Cousins IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#67 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Tell that to New Orleans, nate.

--What did the Hornets give up to get all that cap relief while also sending Okafor and Ariza to the Wizards?

I like to be fair. I get your point. Occasionally, however, the other guy is a sucker. What did the Lakers get out of Kwame for Caron?

I hope Ernie can pull a rabbit out of his hat again! All is fair and love, war, and making NBA trades. :D

I just want to pin you down on this, CCJ.

Let's say Sacramento offers Cousins straight up for Seraphin. We counter by offering some combination of Okafor, Booker, Vesely and/or a future protected pick. Sacramento says no. They want Seraphin or they will start calling other teams. What do you do?
RealGM

Post#68 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:20 pm

I wait it out and potentially let him go for whatever another team offers them.

Right now I view Seraphin as having potentially more trade value with teams like OKC, San Antonio, Miami, and Boston. Phoenix has three first round picks, and they might like Kevin Seraphin for something of value to the Wizards down the road. The Wizards brought in Okafor and they moved Chris Singleton to PF when I think they should have had Kevin playing more minutes at both PF and C. Kevin took a step back because they took his minutes and began the season starting Booker at PF and Okafor at C, with Nene out injured. All of that is backwards IMHO. Seraphin has been out of sorts ever since.

Don't undervalue Kevin Seraphin while also not being sure about Boogie Cousins' mental state. It's easy to pin me down on that one, nate. Simple answer, "No thanks".
Bye bye Beal.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#69 » by miller31time » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Maybe I'm just a blind hater but I don't see the big potential of Kevin Seraphin. He has a great touch on his jumpshots and hook shots but the way he plays and thinks the game is totally unimpressive. He's a big body but doesn't appear terribly athletic and his rebounding woes and inability to play with contact are well-documented. I don't know if those are things that will change over time or are intrinsic to him. Either way, it's ludicrous (to me) to not trade for a big potential player like Cousins (who's problems are well-documented but room for growth is absolutely undeniable) because we see a glimmer of potential in Seraphin.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#70 » by tontoz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:34 pm

DCZards wrote:He tries to start a post-game fight with Spurs color commentator Sean Elliott for something Elliott said about him during the game. He gets suspended for punching OJ Mayo in the groin. He gets suspended indefinitely for cursing out his coach at half-time. And this has all taken place in the last month.

Seriously this guy is a loser. There may be an organization that can help him turn his act around but history has shown the Wizards are not that team.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#71 » by miller31time » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:You know what I find Ironic?

Three years ago I said I thought Cousins was the best player on Kentucky and the best player in the draft, not John Wall. (Greg Monroe is probably better then either of them.) It is ironic that people who didn't want Cousins then want him now, but I've got concerns.

I think a lot of people on this forum (myself included) would have loved to get Cousins in that draft. Just not ahead of Wall.

That hasn't changed. I'd still take Wall 10 times out of 10 if it were a 2-person draft at the time but my interest in acquiring a potential franchise big on the cheap is very alluring.
RealGM

Post#72 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Before the Wizards trade for Cousins I think they should look at a few guys as short term fixes who could become long term contributors.

1. How is Sean May playing over in Paris?
Has his knee healed and isn't he once again scoring like the guy who won an NCAA title with Raymond Felton at UNC? I he keeping his weight down or his food down? http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Sea ... ummary/315

2. What is Jordan Williams up to these days?
He really looked good against the Wizards as a member of the Nets last season. He was released by ATL. He's a pretty good rebounder who IMO could be bettter than Seraphin overall. Same weight question as with Sean May. The guy can definitely play.
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jor ... mmary/3731

3. A very little man who I think at SG would case some matchup nightmares is Joshua Akognon. He averaged 19 points in 18 minutes in Vegas. He's scoring 32 a game in China. He was a dominant scorer in his few D-League games but opted to get more money playing abroad. If James Singleton can come over and ball from China, why can't Joshua Akognon?
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jos ... mmary/2578

4. Last, there's a guy named James Singleton.
Is he happier playing big minutes abroad or is would the Wizards step up and give him the money and more importantly to him minutes he deserves?
http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jam ... ummary/876

Getting Cousins shouldn't be a desperation, must-do-now type of thing. Get a really good deal for Cousins ore just take an alternative route is what I think they need to do.
Bye bye Beal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#73 » by tontoz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:58 pm

miller31time wrote:Maybe I'm just a blind hater but I don't see the big potential of Kevin Seraphin. He has a great touch on his jumpshots and hook shots but the way he plays and thinks the game is totally unimpressive. He's a big body but doesn't appear terribly athletic and his rebounding woes and inability to play with contact are well-documented. I don't know if those are things that will change over time or are intrinsic to him. .

I don't think he is unable to play with contact. He isn't remotely reluctant to play rough on defense and he can be overly physical at times trying to back someone down in the post. His problem is that he settles for quick shots rather than attacking the rim.

Last season he frequently had a "hot potato" reaction whenever he touched the ball, like he had to do something immediately or he would be struck by lightning.

He just has a mental block that he has to work through. Just last game he did a spin move on Maxiel and left him in the dust. Unfortunately he missed the dunk but it was a nice move, exactly the type of move we all want to see from him.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
RealGM

Post#74 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:06 pm

miller31time wrote:Maybe I'm just a blind hater but I don't see the big potential of Kevin Seraphin. He has a great touch on his jumpshots and hook shots but the way he plays and thinks the game is totally unimpressive. He's a big body but doesn't appear terribly athletic and his rebounding woes and inability to play with contact are well-documented. I don't know if those are things that will change over time or are intrinsic to him. Either way, it's ludicrous (to me) to not trade for a big potential player like Cousins (who's problems are well-documented but room for growth is absolutely undeniable) because we see a glimmer of potential in Seraphin.

I think his potential is in his post defense. He has a wide, solid base and he can't be backed down easily. Kevin can also score double figures every night if he gets back in a groove but I think potentially his greatest strength is on defense. Although he plays softly now, Seraphin has potential as an Oakley/Ben Wallace kick-others-in-the-pants kind of player.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#75 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Don't undervalue Kevin Seraphin while also not being sure about Boogie Cousins' mental state. It's easy to pin me down on that one, nate. Simple answer, "No thanks".

Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure I understood. You currently value Seraphin above Cousins.

I don't think it's close. I'd take Cousins over Seraphin without batting an eye. I'd include a protected 1st rounder (top 10 protected for 4 years).
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#76 » by Nivek » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:35 pm

I agree with nate. I'd take Cousins over Seraphin any day -- even with reservations about his offensive inefficiency.

And yeah, I think Cousins is probably fool's gold even going off of last year's stats. He's a center who shot 45% from the floor. His offensive rating was still just 102, which was below average.

I think he's talented enough to be worth a shot. Even with the inefficiency he's a better player than Seraphin. At very least, you know Cousins is going to rebound. Seraphin has value only when his shot is falling.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#77 » by AFM » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:52 pm

He has been reinstated. Not much of a suspension (1 game).
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#78 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:57 pm

AFM wrote:He has been reinstated. Not much of a suspension (1 game).

Not long at all. Is Nene still disgruntled? Is Wall still injured. Is Vesely he still a bust?

SacKings probably just trying to rehab Cousins image a little tiny bit in prep for a trade.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#79 » by AFM » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Yeah. They really told him! All he got was a day off from work. Hardly a punishment at all actually. I wish I could curse out my boss and be given vacation time.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#80 » by LyricalRico » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Maybe a prelude to a trade? Can you trade a player if he's suspended?

Return to Washington Wizards