ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely - reinstated 12/25

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Re: Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely - reinstated 12/25 

Post#121 » by leswizards » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 am

I can't believe people are so willing to give up anything of value for Cousins. He has done nothing. He merely has upside. While their is value in upside, the problem is that he is such a headcase that he may never achieve that upside. Trading something of value for Cousins is like overpaying for a lottery ticket. I pray EG doesn't do it.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#122 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:15 am

Erm, hate to be a Debbie Downer, but Beal was drafted because he was supposed to be a good shooter. He's not. i've seen enough of his game to conclude that, when wide open, he cannot hit jumpers. That is a glaring hole to me. I admit to being pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rest of his game, particularly his defense. But his jumper sucks.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#123 » by barelyawake » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:52 am

Do you understand how amazing a team of Noel, Nene, Beal, Wall and Cousins would be?

Same with Shabazz, Wall, Cousins, Nene, and Seraphin.

I could care less about future picks with that team. And both teams would miss Beal or Seraphin (respectively) 0%.

Star bigs are impossible to get. You have a chance to get one, you do it.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#124 » by gambitx777 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:15 am

Kevin is a good player and could probably be just as good as D.C. at this point if it were not for one thing. He still has to much Euro style in him. He has a bad habit of wanting to shot rather than go to the basket. He can be just a little soft at times. He needs just a little more time to get that Eruo style out of him.
I'm not even sure i want D.C. He seems like a pain, I know wall and him are friends but how much will that really help. I just dont want to be stuck with another basket case. But i think that the kings need to realize that D.C is going to leave anyway and that he has destroyed his trade value. So you need to trade him for what you can get and be happy that you don't get left with nothing.
leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#125 » by leswizards » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:30 pm

barelyawake wrote:Star bigs are impossible to get. You have a chance to get one, you do it.

Cousins is not a star big. He is head case with talent. If he were a star big, he would not be available.
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#126 » by Earth2Ted » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Kentucky Sports Radio is reporting that trade talks for Cousins are ongoing and that the most likely trade partners are Boston and Dallas, with Orlando and Charlotte also possible. Supposedly DMC has been told that the Wizards, along with the Rockets and Pistons, are UNLIKELY, for a variety of unspecified reasons.

As much as a lot of people here don't think Cousins has much value, there's going to be a bidding war that drives his price up.

Again, the guy has a ton of talent, he WANTS to be here in DC, and we're 4 and 24. Why are we clinging to ANYONE on this roster except for Wall?
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#127 » by barelyawake » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Cousins is a head case like Rash Wallace was. How'd that work out for Detriot?
leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#128 » by leswizards » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:54 pm

barelyawake wrote:Cousins is a head case like Rash Wallace was. How'd that work out for Detriot?

Or he could be a head case like Eddie Griffin or Chris Wilcox or any other of the numerous busts who were to busy being problems to put in the work necessary to actually live up to their talent. How did that work out for whatever team had the misfortune to have to deal with those knuckleheads?
leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#129 » by leswizards » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Earth2Ted wrote:[url=http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=124458]Again, the guy has a ton of talent, he WANTS to be here in DC, and we're 4 and 24. Why are we clinging to ANYONE on this roster except for Wall?

The Kings are 57 and 121 with Cousins. Why are you clinging to a player who has not shown the ability to help his team win, and has been suspended indefinitely, by 2 different coaches.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#130 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:02 pm

barelyawake wrote:Cousins is a head case like Rash Wallace was. How'd that work out for Detriot?

Some head cases can still ball thats for sure. Look at MWP.

As long as they are just head cases on the court, i.e temper but still good performers, thats ok. When they are head cases to the front office, that another story.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#131 » by DCZards » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:05 pm

Two VERY different situations. Rasheed may have his oncourt issues with refs, but he was never a problem for coaches, teammates and the FO. In fact, Rasheed is widely known as a good locker room guy, which is one of the reasons he's still in the league.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#132 » by noworriesinmd » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm

Earth2Ted wrote:Kentucky Sports Radio is reporting that trade talks for Cousins are ongoing and that the most likely trade partners are Boston and Dallas, with Orlando and Charlotte also possible. Supposedly DMC has been told that the Wizards, along with the Rockets and Pistons, are UNLIKELY, for a variety of unspecified reasons.

As much as a lot of people here don't think Cousins has much value, there's going to be a bidding war that drives his price up.

Again, the guy has a ton of talent, he WANTS to be here in DC, and we're 4 and 24. Why are we clinging to ANYONE on this roster except for Wall?

what sucks is that if you read the comments of this post, they call washington a "crappy" organization. No one wants to come here because Washington is "crappy". I assume the source in this piece is DMC.
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#133 » by Earth2Ted » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:23 pm

leswizards wrote:
Earth2Ted wrote:[url=http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=124458]Again, the guy has a ton of talent, he WANTS to be here in DC, and we're 4 and 24. Why are we clinging to ANYONE on this roster except for Wall?

The Kings are 57 and 121 with Cousins. Why are you clinging to a player who has not shown the ability to help his team win, and has been suspended indefinitely, by 2 different coaches.

Talent. Kid has franchise talent potentially, All star talent at the very least. That's why the Celtics with Danny Ainge and the Mavericks with Mark Cuban - 2 guys who have recently put together NBA champions in the last 5 years by the way - are all over the guy despite all his warts, and in fact are the two front runners to land him right now.

To go back to the old Titanic analogy, we have very few opportunities to do anything but rearrange deck chairs. Cousins would be one of the few moves that might actually be a whole another cruise liner- not just because of himself, but because it gets John Wall to stay as well. Sure, it's a fixer upper boat with holes to be patched, for sure... but if we don't make this move, we just have another year of D league callups, getting screwed in the lottery, picking the latest Eurobust with the #5 or 6 pick, and having the same dang conversations about the 2014 draft come next New Years Eve.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#134 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:04 pm

do what is required to connect the bball soul mates.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#135 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:08 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:do what is required to connect the bball soul mates.

Trade Wall to Sacramento?
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#136 » by Wizardspride » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:20 pm

barelyawake wrote:Do you understand how amazing a team of Noel, Nene, Beal, Wall and Cousins would be?

Replace Noel with Len and I agree. :)
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#137 » by Induveca » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm

In some ways, we could possibly right previous wrongs by trading Crawford and Seraphin for Cousins.

Reminds me of another WAS/SAC trade. Webber for Richmond/Thorpe.

Has the college teammate dynamic with Wall/Cousins, Webber/Howard.....and the "troubled big man" angle.

Let it be so.....Crawford actually has some value right now, and Seraphin has shown flashes of potential. Sell high!
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#138 » by Nivek » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:46 pm

As I've said before, I would trade any Wizards asset other than Wall, Beal or a 1st round pick to get Cousins. He has tremendous ability -- franchise player ability. He wastes too many possessions, but I think that could improve with work, experience and some maturity. The Wizards don't have a player with comparable potential.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#139 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Induveca wrote:In some ways, we could possibly right previous wrongs by trading Crawford and Seraphin for Cousins.

Reminds me of another WAS/SAC trade. Webber for Richmond/Thorpe.

Has the college teammate dynamic with Wall/Cousins, Webber/Howard.....and the "troubled big man" angle.

Let it be so.....Crawford actually has some value right now, and Seraphin has shown flashes of potential. Sell high!

I'd love this angle. If EG's still here when it's done, throw in the inevitably high 2nd rounder, since he'd just blow it all on hats anyway. Problem is, if he's still here, I don't trust him to not give away too much in return for Cousins, especially with much more talented teams (teams that can afford to overpay for a "final" piece) bidding his price up.

Cousins has great potential, but other than his rebounding (especially last year), he's looked quite average during his career. If he comes here and joins his "soulmate" Wall (as if teams have some obligation to reunite them!) they will have a short window to demonstrate that they have the superstar-ness to justify the large contract renewals they and their agents will want. If Cousins does 17/10 and Wall does 16/8, they will both ask for max or near max, and those are the numbers they have already shown to be not too much above average. Cousins could be a more offensive minded Okafor, someone that does just enough to get a huge contract, and not enough to do much else.

Maybe Cousins and Wal together actually will be above average, and maybe Vesely and Beal will find their games playing with the two. Still, I don't trust EG and Leonsis to negotiate the deal for Cousins, and I don't trust them to negotiate the contract renewals. At this point, I don't trust them to make any truly positive moves for the team (from a long term on court success perspective). I'll believe otherwise when I see it, and positives like signing Webster and Temple seem as much by accident as from wise maneuvering.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#140 » by Dark Faze » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:52 pm

Im surprised people still pretend that Vesely getting better is actually a possibility. He's the closest thing there is to a lock for being terrible forever.

Return to Washington Wizards