ImageImageImageImageImage

Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread 

Post#41 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 am

AFM wrote:LET'S GO HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just the village idiot brother.

Better go looking for answers elsewhere.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2013/0 ... mv-2355457

These guys are finally having fun and they enjoy playing together. That should not go undervalued.

PS
You think Wall is helping Vesely's game. Just watch what he does for Kevin. Kevin's weakest part of his game is getting to the rim. He already has a post game and mid range. Now Wall is going to help him learn to finish at the rim more but leading him to the basket. Once he gets a taste of that. Maybe Mickie will like it.

Wall puts Ves on the map. Ves need Wall in order to score. But what he can do for Kevin should make him a legit starter. In time.

Can't wait till they add Crawford to the mix. I have faith he will try to mix in now that there are others to help with the scoring. Looking forward to some amazing passes from him. And hopefully he gets some calls when he drives now that Wall gives the team some legitimacy.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#42 » by doclinkin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 am

First you win, then you get good.

As we get healthy it's nice to see the squad playing as predicted and hoped for back when a few of us were optimistic about the season and happy about the Okariza trade. Granted one should never underestimate the injury vortex round these here parts. The fact that Oke was recovering from a knee injury that forced him to miss the final ~40 games in the lock-out shortened season should have suggested he was going to take some time to round into game shape, at the very least. Good to see him recovering his strength. But player combo numbers show hints that the Oke-Nene pairing lives up to positive expectations. http://www.82games.com/1213/1213WAS2.HTM

[ ^^^ Actually the [blank]-Beal-Webster-Nene-[blank] combo posts some of our only winning match-ups. Makes sense since B-Real and 'Tell both evince a bit of outside shooting and Nene is a solid passer, we get good spacing. Tough to say if this carries over with the addition of John to the line-up since an additional outside shooter really gives more room to operate underneath for whichever low-post Big shares the court with them. Suggests we look at stretch-capable 4/5's to allow John to drive and kick. Retaining 'Tell might not be a bad idea, but we should look at what he does well and seek those qualities in any replacement/supplemental we add SF at that spot: 3pt shooting and athleticism]

I expect new trends to emerge as Wall gets more time on the floor. Uptempo players will score more (Vesely and Ariza emerging here). Still with key starters out or limited the Wiz have used the time to experiment with their bench players and see who fits. Granted the depth of same-level frontcourt players has meant one or the other has gotten pinched from playing time (Jan first, now Csing) it also has meant there is little difference between bench and starters. Not necessarily a good thing but at least the coaching staff has had a chance to get minutes to see who works better out there. A side benefit can be shown in the blow-out win over ORL earning ~20+ mins for 10 players.

I maintain that some part of the slow timetable for recovery for the starters has been a deliberate caution by the front office. Teddy has made clear his belief that top draft picks are the only way to win a championship is with lucky picks (in the right year) added to a base culture of defense and hard work. Veteran role players balance out your top talent. But with unlucky bounces in the lotto you add solid players like BReal but not the transcendent talent needed to contend at the highest level. Suck long and suck lucky is the only plan, the rest is about massaging expectations. Booker was recently quoted as saying he would have been back sooner but the caution of the training staff encouraged him to take his time and not play hurt but only come back at 100%. Wittman has made noises about having to be careful to limit players minutes (Nene, Wall) and not focus on immediate wins as the only goal. Teddy intimated early on that aside from top franchise star talent he wants players who will fight hard and be easy to root for even while they are not necessarily winning. If we have a built in injury excuse to suck into high talent, then take advantage of it.

The majority of next season ticket plans and renewals are sold at the end of the current season, and then in the offseason. If we finish up with a strong late push from a healthy squad (as usual) and then add another high draft pick that people are excited about, well now, you can always sell hope if not success. Okay there may be no clear cut franchise talent in the top lotto. Oh well, still gives you more bites at the apple.

One benefit (and possible cause) to sucking is that it costs little to give experience to key young players. It should speak clearly where we are as a team that our leading player in minutes per game is our 19 year old rookie 2-guard. Beal is playing over 30 minutes a game. And much like in college where he came on strong late he has needed the minutes in order to get comfortable and acclimated. Clearly he's learning what he can and cannot do at this level. Love to see his confidence grow as he figures it out.

Are we there yet? No son, but we'll stop at the next rest stop if you need to pee. But we can begin to see a few hints and intimations of what else we might like to add in order to improve. I do appreciate the defense we've been able to muster, should be interesting to see how and where we can add a bit of scoring to supplement that without losing the focus on it. In my draft hunting or eyeballing available players (trade or elsewhere) it makes me search for frontcourt players who both hit from outside and rebound on the interior (SF and C especially). I like the passing we get from many on our current roster (especially when shotjacker Crawford is out...) so I'll keep my eye out for players who can pass too, regardless of position they play.

Now if only we could get a Phoenix-style next level medical/training staff, and our own D-League affiliate, I'd be actually hopeful if not confident in our future.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#43 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 am

I have taken a small sip, but will consume gallons if we do well during this West Coast trip. While Nene is good, I think we lack length and strength in our front court.
leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Post#44 » by leswizards » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Everytime I think I am out, they pull me back in.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#45 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 pm

leswizards wrote:Everytime I think I am out, they pull me back in.

:lol: Good one. Caution though, a return to 500 ball (potentially) should not be confused with a serious attempt to build for a championship, many on the board stated that at the beginning of the season. I don't think we should settle for anything less than that.
hands11
Banned User

Post#46 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 pm

closg00 wrote:I have taken a small sip, but will consume gallons if we do well during this West Coast trip. While Nene is good, I think we lack length and strength in our front court.

They should consider bringing back Barron. We need a 7-0 player like that.

He would be perfect. But not a likely move right now.

Ves is getting those minutes and he is tall. He just isn't the rebounder Barron was. But he does need the positive experience. I think if we get another lead like that we will see Ves try a few outside shots. Right now he is just enjoying being more productive doing what he knows.

Another option is Cook who can shoot from outside.

I know neither is a good long term solution but both can live with being bench players and they know the team and organization.

Big game coming up against SAC. Gotta keep this thing rolling so they have momentum going into Denver.

If they get both, they will be set up nicely for the LAC game.
leswizards
Senior

Post#47 » by leswizards » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:03 pm

closg00 wrote: :lol: Good one. Caution though, a return to 500 ball (potentially) should not be confused with a serious attempt to build for a championship, many on the board stated that at the beginning of the season. I don't think we should settle for anything less than that.

I agree. Right now a lot of fans are thinking if only the Wizards hadn't been injured to start the season, what might have been. I don't mind the fans having that attitude, but it irritates me that ownership has adopted that attitude as well.

I wish that the ownership's attitude was what might have been if only the Wizards had acquired a back up PG capable of giving the team quality minutes while Wall was out, if the team hadn't invested $20 million and a 2nd round draft pick in 2 players who are incapable of carrying the team through injuries, if the team had made sure that their 3 best young front court prospects would not regress all at the same time when the team needed them the most, and if they could have done more to help their new SG get off to a faster start.
leswizards
Senior

Post#48 » by leswizards » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:06 pm

This season could go down in history as the worst season ever. The team starts 4-28 to virtually eliminate any chance of the playoffs, then goes 37-13 to finish the season at 41-41, and then misses the playoffs because there are 8 teams in the east with better records, meaning the Wizards end up getting the worst player in the lottery.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#49 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm

leswizards wrote:This season could go down in history as the worst season ever. The team starts 4-28 to virtually eliminate any chance of the playoffs, then goes 37-13 to finish the season at 41-41, and then misses the playoffs because there are 8 teams in the east with better records, meaning the Wizards end up getting the worst player in the lottery.

This post could come only from a Wizards fan. It somehow combines delusional optimism with soul-crushing pessimism.

This belongs in the HoF.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#50 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Nivek wrote:
leswizards wrote:This season could go down in history as the worst season ever. The team starts 4-28 to virtually eliminate any chance of the playoffs, then goes 37-13 to finish the season at 41-41, and then misses the playoffs because there are 8 teams in the east with better records, meaning the Wizards end up getting the worst player in the lottery.

This post could come only from a Wizards fan. It somehow combines delusional optimism with soul-crushing pessimism.

This belongs in the HoF.

+1

It shows you really do know the Wizards, leswizards. The more I look at the roster with everyone healthy the more I see … wins coming, and at the worst time.

If Washington starts getting the points in the paint they've been missing; they're going to jump all the way up from scoring 90 a game to regularly scoring 95 to 100 a game. They only give up 96 a game now and that might go down with Ariza healthy, Beal improving, Temple providing solid defense off the bench, and Wall running the legs off of opponents. Meanwhile, as doclinkin pointed out Okafor seems to be rounding into form from having an injury last season himself. The Wizards are already 2nd in the NBA in giving up the fewest points in the paint. They've got young players with much energy and enthusiasm for defense.

I say those things to say that this west coast trip is going to unveil what to expect moving forward with the Wizards. If they string more wins than losses and look impressive playing tough teams then something ridiculous like finishing 39-43 (35-15 from start) and making the playoffs is possible. Revising and assuming they stay healthy, I really don't see them doing that, but I CAN see them getting near 30 wins plus or minus 3 games. The other day I said 30-52 was best case but I think that was conservative. (If they get Cousins, then yes, 37-13 is definitely possible!)

leswizards, if you think mediocrity and an eighth seed would be the worst thing, I think that might not be the case. The end game in that case is TRADE FOR PICKS with a team like Phoenix. There are some dynamic players in the picks #15-30. We miss out on the superstars for sure, but I think trading for stars and stockpiling good to great players is the way to go.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,065

Post#51 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:56 pm

The biggest differences in this turnaround is that January Beal is a heck of a lot better than 2012 Beal, and Okafor has steadily improved as the season has progressed. With those two now playing like bonafide, NBA caliber starters alongside Nene and Webster (who have played quality ball most of the season), we actually have a credible lineup. Throw in a rusty Wall and a streaking A.J. Price and the PG position is in pretty good hands as well. Ariza adds quality depth. We still have to hold our breath whenever Seraphin and Vesely come in. They're consistently inconsistent. Hopefully, Wall can get the most out of them.

It's interesting that this 3-game win streak took place with Nene having his worst slump of the season. If Nene can rally, we should have the firepower to stay in the game against anybody.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#52 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:05 pm

doclinkin wrote:Actually the [blank]-Beal-Webster-Nene-[blank] combo posts some of our only winning match-ups. Makes sense since B-Real and 'Tell both evince a bit of outside shooting and Nene is a solid passer, we get good spacing. Tough to say if this carries over with the addition of John to the line-up since an additional outside shooter really gives more room to operate underneath for whichever low-post Big shares the court with them. Suggests we look at stretch-capable 4/5's to allow John to drive and kick. Retaining 'Tell might not be a bad idea, but we should look at what he does well and seek those qualities in any replacement/supplemental we add SF at that spot: 3pt shooting and athleticism

I second both notions: find a stretch 4 and retain Webster. Ideally, our future lineup would look something like this:

PG Wall/Price
SG Beal/cheap vet
SF Webster/Ariza
PF long athletic PF who can hit from midrange/stretch 4
C Cousins/Nene

We draft the athletic PF in 2013. We use some combination of Okafor, Seraphin, Vesely, Booker, Singleton and Crawford to get Cousins and the stretch 4. Ariza comes off the books in time to free up cap to resign Wall and Cousins. Nene comes off the books in time to resign Beal.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#53 » by Upper Decker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

While the last few games have been refreshing I don't buy it. The real Wizards will show their true colors this weekend. They play at Denver and at LAC. If the Wiz can manage to split, or at least be competative in both, I'd be 1) surprised, 2) willing to take this team a bit more seriously going forward. Until then FIRE ERNIE!
leswizards
Senior

Post#54 » by leswizards » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:leswizards, if you think mediocrity and an eighth seed would be the worse thing, I think that might not be the case. The end game in that case is TRADE FOR PICKS with a team like Phoenix. There are some dynamic players in the picks #15-30. We miss out on the superstars for sure, but I think trading for stars and stockpiling good to great players is the way to go.

I would be thrilled if they made the playoffs. The point I was making is that even if by some miracle the Wizards were to win enough games to finish .500, it still might not be enough to make the playoffs.

The reason I say that is currently there are 8 teams in the east playing better than .500 basketball. I am confident that barring injuries 7 of those teams (New York, Brooklyn, Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Indiana, and Chicago) will finish the season at better than .500. Milwaukee is the lone team that might fall below .500. However even if they do fall below .500, there is the possibility that teams like Orlando, Philadelphia, Detroit, or Toronto might get hot and finish the season at better than .500.

So, even if the Wizards do some how miraculously finish the season at .500, I would put there chances of making the playoffs at best 50% (that is a conditional probability, I hope no one takes it out of context and says that I am claiming that the Wizards have a 50% chance of making the playoffs).
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#55 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:14 pm

leswizards, you're right. Those seven teams will be over .500. I had not considered how solid those teams are.

Milwaukee is the team to walk down and catch in order to make the playoffs. I like their talent a lot but there is some potential slippage because they depend on perimeter scoring and young guys in the middle. The Bucks figure to stay an up-and-down team. They seem like a pretty good lock for the eighth seed, but time will tell.

If Doug Collins is still coaching, I believe Philly could make the playoffs. However, with Bynum not in the mix and with a roster that includes Kwame Brown, Nick Young, and Philly struggling right now there is a good chance Collins steps down under the pressure. Philly is 16-23 now but that is only 5 games in the loss column better than Washington. If they're 17-24 and the Wizards are something like 10-31 at the midway point in the season, I believe Washington could catch Philly. If Collins steps down Philly will plummet. They have lost 6 of 7 and I see Collins in serious trouble. Only him sticking around and Bynum returning puts them in the playoffs.

I think Detroit can finish with a better record than the Wizards. They are 14-24 but they're trending upward and they have a bunch of good, young talent. The Pistons are my darkhorse team to make the eighth spot in the east.

Orlando has the talent and the leadership with Nelson, Davis, Vucevic, Harkless, and Nicholson -- they also can get the eighth spot.

As of right now, those are the teams in the East I see ahead of the Wizards and it is not impossible to catch them IMO. IN ALL LIKELIHOOD, the Wizards will NOT contend for a playoff spot unless they continue on an extended win streak the next several games.

Thanks, leswizards, for educating me. It probably will take 41 wins to make the playoffs in the east.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#56 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm

I think Milwaukee is going to slip a bit. They fired Skiles and the replacement coach is likely to be worse. I figure they finish about 40-42.

I think Philly will play better in the 2nd half, but not significantly so. If they go 24-19, they'll finish with 40 wins too.

So 40 wins will be enough to make the playoffs. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible for the Wizards to go 33-14 from here on out. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Wizards play slightly above .500 and maybe go 25-22, but not 33-14.
Upper Decker
Rookie

Post#57 » by Upper Decker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:02 pm

This 3 game win streak equals the Skins win over the Eagles. At that point it was nice to get a win, but it meant they needed a million dominos to fall their way to make the playoffs. One of those dominos was that they couldn't lose for like 2 months. If the Wizards want to even consider the word I refuse to say, but starts with a "'p", they'll need to rip off 12 of their next 14, or something insane like that to just get within striking distance. I foresee this jubilation being crushed after the Clippers game, which will likely be the 2nd loss in 2 nights.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#58 » by AFM » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Wrong sir. We are going to crush LAC and you can bet your bottom dollar on that.
Upper Decker
Rookie

Post#59 » by Upper Decker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Sweeping the Clippers and Nuggets = 2nd quarter vs. the Cowpukes on Thanksgiving.
hands11
Banned User

Post#60 » by hands11 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 am

First game where they had a full roster short of Martin

Randy now has for figure out which players work in what combination and when.

I thought the first half line ups were a little rough. Price was getting smoked and he needed come out and Crawford in. Randy stuck with that way to long. But he did at least understand that Denver was a bad match up for Ves so the Kevin and Ves combination wasn't put back in. In the 2nd half he went to Booker and Kevin which is what I wanted to see and he did it. Randy did an ok job. Could have done better but he did some smart thing and we got the win.

Best game I think I ever saw from Kevin S. He just school Faried in the post a couple times in the 2nd half by taking in right at him in the rim. That is what I have been waiting to see. He made Faried look like a child on a few plays.

Kevin S in beast mode. I loved it. If he plays like that every night, things are looking a lot better.

As for McGee. lol. Oh McGee. We took their lunch on that trade.

So this is where this team could have started the season. Good to see a full roster. They still have to learn how to play together but you can see the talent.

Beal is on fire. He has really found the 3 ball. Now we see the Ray Allen side of his game.
Trevor A was huge.

You can now see we have some 3 ball shooting options. That is going to open things up.

Betting Denver on the road when the refs sucked as bad as they big is no small thing. Had they refs called that better, that was a 10 pt win easy. Denver had only 2 loses at home. I can see why with refs like that.

I'll be right back. Off to take take a good long drink of that Kool-Aid.

Man, if they only could have pulled out that SAC game, this would be 5-0 heading into LAC.

Return to Washington Wizards