Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread 

Post#241 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 am

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Speaking of moving forward, playing Toronto on the road will be interesting. I wonder if I will sip Kool Aid after the Toronto game?

Hard liquor might be a better choice - considering how the Wiz typically play on the road. :beer:

Cue the Debbie Downer music. Waa waa waa waaaaaaaa.

Nice.
hands11
Banned User

Post#242 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:47 am

Rudy with a Wall outside shooting night. 1-11 He had 32 pts his previous game.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#243 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:24 am

tontoz wrote:Most of the Wizards wins have come against good teams. I am not sure how much the schedule matters. I think the more important issue is whether the 3s are dropping. If they are they can beat anyone. If not they can lose to anyone.

IDK.

while they clearly need some offense, their D is keeping them in games
long enough for them to find someone who can be a hero for them. Lately
it's been simple, BB.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#244 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:26 am

hands11 wrote:Rudy with a Wall outside shooting night. 1-11 He had 32 pts his last game.

that's why you don't trade for that contract. He can be a very good player, but not
consistently enough to justify those bucks.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#245 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:38 am

dobrojim wrote:
hands11 wrote:Rudy with a Wall outside shooting night. 1-11 He had 32 pts his last game.

that's why you don't trade for that contract. He can be a very good player, but not

I wouldn't even call him a "very good" player. He's a mediocre player. He's a shot jacker, nothing more.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#246 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 am

nate33 wrote:
dobrojim wrote:

I wouldn't even call him a "very good" player. He's a mediocre player. He's a shot jacker, nothing more.

perhaps not. But there is a range of shot jackers out there. Some of them
manage to at least leave the less well informed with the impression that they
are good players.
Kobe and Westbrook are major jackers. Melo too. Those are pretty good players.
Moving down from there you have guys like Gay.
Somewhere well below that you have Big Balls.

hands11
Banned User

Post#247 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:04 am

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

We are climbing out of the gutter. Not to long ago we were last. Now we are 5th from last just behind SAC who is on a 0-5 run.

MIL holding the last playoff slot at 2 under .500 and in full 2nd half MIL fold like a chair mode with a tough schedule ahead.

But not mentioning anything crazy. Just an observation.

Next up. DET. We have 2 1/2 behind them.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#248 » by JWizmentality » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 am

37 wins gets us in postseason? I dunno....

I relish the thought of taking on Miami...we'd lose but they'd be conference finals tried after going through us.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#249 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 am

I doubt 37 wins gets us to the post-season.
Furthermore, 37 wins at this point seems pretty unlikely even though
we are playing really good ball.

edit to add - MIL currently has 26 wins with 26 games to play.
15 road games.
14 games against current playoff teams.
But so far they have been a solid road team going 12-14 to date.

we have 18 wins with 27 games to play.
we are now 5-22 on the road.
13 games against current playoff teams
14 road games left.

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#250 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 am

dobrojim wrote:
tontoz wrote:Most of the Wizards wins have come against good teams. I am not sure how much the schedule matters. I think the more important issue is whether the 3s are dropping. If they are they can beat anyone. If not they can lose to anyone.

IDK.

it's been simple, BB.

Washington DOES NOT necessarily need to add that much offense to be very successful.

Philly made it to the Finals with Just Allen Iverson and a bunch of defensive players. Dikembe Mutombo (who was acquired mid season for Theo Ratliff, Toni Kukoc, and Nazr Mohammed), George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Eric Snow and Aaron McKie were all defensive guys but Philly made the NBA Finals.

This Wizards team needs one iso-swing player and a stretch four. James Singleton is good enough for all they need at stretch four but he's 32 or so years old. The iso-swing man they need is either Otto Porter or Victor Olapido.

Washington can go far in the playoffs next season with Nene and Wall and Beal healthy, the same three support guys they have now: Webster, Ariza, and Okafor will be great together next season if they all return.

Right now, I'd say draft Porter and another shooter (McDermott) OR another athlete (Carrick Felix or Andre Roberson) OR a young stretch 4/5 (Kenny Kadji is a no brainer). I love the way Nate Wolters plays. I GUARANTEE I can identify a #55 pick that is better than EG's past picks. Isaiah Canaan if he slips would be TERRIFIC

CCJ's draft as of 2/25/2013: Otto Porter (or Marcus Smart), Doug McDermott (he can shoot it too well not to succeed--he is the steal of the draft if on the board in round 2, which I do NOT expect), Andre Roberson (Kawhi Leonard with better rebounding but worse offense--Roberson WILL be a great energy defender who will play 7-10 years in the NBA), and Wolters / Canaan.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#251 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:06 am

dobrojim wrote:I doubt 37 wins gets us to the post-season.
Furthermore, 37 wins at this point seems pretty unlikely even though
we are playing really good ball.

edit to add - MIL currently has 26 wins with 26 games to play.
15 road games.
14 games against current playoff teams.
But so far they have been a solid road team going 12-14 to date.

we are now 5-22 on the road.
13 games against current playoff teams
14 road games left.

13 games against current playoff teams. 11-4 against teams with winning records since the OKC game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings/_/year/2011

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... ukee-bucks

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... on-wizards

But for now, just focused on the next game. DET at home, then NY, then Philly. Two teams they need to climb past and another playoff team that would be funny to add to the list of over .500 teams we have beaten.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#252 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 am

JWizmentality wrote:37 wins gets us in postseason? I dunno....

I relish the thought of taking on Miami...we'd lose but they'd be conference finals tried after going through us.

Okay, the Wizards are 18-37 with 27 games left...

An 18-9 finish is a somewhat realistic expectation because Washington has already gone 14-9 over the last 23 games. So, it is very realistic to expect a 36-46 record if they keep playing the way they are now.

Thirty-six wins.

That is as far as I'm able to currently believe MIGHT happen, because the Wizards are only on a 3-game win streak. If they can stretch this streak to 7 wins; then at 22-37, it would be more than reasonable to expect a better than 14-9 finish. Washington just need to string some more wins.

If the Wizards get the next 4 straight as wins, or 6 out of the next 8 as wins, and then I think Washington WILL make the playoffs. If they keep this streak a long while and end up at 38 wins, the Wizards will have at least a 50-50 chance.

A 20-7 finish probably gets them in.
Bye bye Beal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#253 » by AFM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:21 am

Sir, stop getting my hopes up. Stop it!
hands11
Banned User

Post#254 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 pm

MIL
Big game tonight. Buck @ Dallas then they have a back to back @ Houston. Two teams that are fighting for them playoff lives. Good chance they lose both.

By Wednesday night, they very easily could be 4 under .500
Then they get TOR and Utah at home before a 3 game road trip @ LAC, @ GS, @ SAC
Then home against DAL and on the road to me after @ WIZARDS where they would be 5-6 games under .500

Big game for the Wizards against DET at HOME on Wednesday.

Along the way, we have games against

At Home
DET, Philly(2), MIL, TOR

Away
TOR

Keep hope alive. But we have. @ Brooklyn, @ LAL, @ GS, @ OKC, @ BOS, @ NY then to close the season @ Brooklyn and @ Chicago

3rd to last game is Philly at home. Should be interesting to see if that game means anything. Philly might still be in the race. Could be a spoiler game for us.

Not saying anything, just pointing out a few interesting facts to make the season more interesting. At a min, it will be good experience for Beal and Wall going against team fighting for the playoffs or playoff slotting. And thats what they need to start getting battle tested.

Gotta win against DET on Wed and Philly on Sun March 3rd to keep this more interesting.

But either way, it have been a Kool-Aid drinking Season Turnaround. Much more fun to watch this then 4-28

Think about it. From 4-28 to 18-37. Thats from 4-28 .125 to 14-9 .608 That is a pace that would slot them 4th
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#255 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

AFM wrote:Sir, stop getting my hopes up. Stop it!

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread - Playoff Wa 

Post#256 » by Nivek » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Based on how they've been playing of late, the Wizards project to win another 16-17 games the rest of the way. Which would be a very good finish (17-10 or 16-11). If that happened, they'd finish with 34-35 wins. I'm currently projecting 8th seed at 38-39 wins. To get there, Washington needs to find an additional 5 wins, minimum. So, closing 21-6 to finish at 39-43. It's unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#257 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:37 wins gets us in postseason? I dunno....

Okay, the Wizards are 18-37 with 27 games left...

An 18-9 finish is a somewhat realistic expectation because Washington has already gone 14-9 over the last 23 games. So, it is very realistic to expect a 36-46 record if they keep playing the way they are now.

Thirty-six wins.

That is as far as I'm able to currently believe MIGHT happen, because the Wizards are only on a 3-game win streak. If they can stretch this streak to 7 wins; then at 22-37, it would be more than reasonable to expect a better than 14-9 finish. Washington just need to string some more wins.

If the Wizards get the next 4 straight as wins, or 6 out of the next 8 as wins, and then I think Washington WILL make the playoffs. If they keep this streak a long while and end up at 38 wins, the Wizards will have at least a 50-50 chance.

A 20-7 finish probably gets them in.

Didn't we just have these same conversations before the Wizards dropped consecutive games against the Raptors and the Pistons? In my opinion, its not going to happen.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#258 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Just get to the 30 win plateau please! They don't even have to play .500 ball (13-14). It'd be nice to see some improvement.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#259 » by TGW » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Just get to the 30 win plateau please! They don't even have to play .500 ball (13-14). It'd be nice to see some improvement.

The improvement is there. The real question is whether it's fool's gold or not. Right now, they're winning on the backs of two 30 year old bigman and a soon-to-be free agent small forward. That's not really a recipe for long-term success. They need one of the young bigmen to show that they have a pulse, because if nene or okafor go down for an extended period, well....we saw what happened.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#260 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
dobrojim wrote:

IDK.

it's been simple, BB.

Washington DOES NOT necessarily need to add that much offense to be very successful.

Philly made it to the Finals with Just Allen Iverson and a bunch of defensive players. Dikembe Mutombo (who was acquired mid season for Theo Ratliff, Toni Kukoc, and Nazr Mohammed), George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Eric Snow and Aaron McKie were all defensive guys but Philly made the NBA Finals.

This Wizards team needs one iso-swing player and a stretch four. James Singleton is good enough for all they need at stretch four but he's 32 or so years old. The iso-swing man they need is either Otto Porter or Victor Olapido.

Washington can go far in the playoffs next season with Nene and Wall and Beal healthy, the same three support guys they have now: Webster, Ariza, and Okafor will be great together next season if they all return.

Right now, I'd say draft Porter and another shooter (McDermott) OR another athlete (Carrick Felix or Andre Roberson) OR a young stretch 4/5 (Kenny Kadji is a no brainer). I love the way Nate Wolters plays. I GUARANTEE I can identify a #55 pick that is better than EG's past picks. Isaiah Canaan if he slips would be TERRIFIC

CCJ's draft as of 2/25/2013: Otto Porter (or Marcus Smart), Doug McDermott (he can shoot it too well not to succeed--he is the steal of the draft if on the board in round 2, which I do NOT expect), Andre Roberson (Kawhi Leonard with better rebounding but worse offense--Roberson WILL be a great energy defender who will play 7-10 years in the NBA), and Wolters / Canaan.

:clap:

Those are the 2 guys (so far), one of which, that I would really love to see us draft

VO and OP

Return to Washington Wizards