ImageImageImageImageImage

Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Re: Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread - Playoff Wa 

Post#261 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Again, I am looking at the upcoming schedule through the game @ LAL.
If we continue to play well, only 2/12 of these games are iffy, the Nix here
on Friday and later @ BKN.

Even if they lose both of those games, I think it's possible for them to
go 10-2. The end of the season the schedule becomes considerably harder
(how could it not?). But they would have a lot of momentum and a ton of
BUZZ. The earlier losses to DET and TOR were a definite setback.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#262 » by FAH1223 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:20 pm

lol... i drank some kool aid and spit it out

*waits for 3 game losing streak*
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#263 » by JAR69 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 pm

It seems that Singleton has been playing well since he emerged from the doghouse 10 games ago. Not great overall stats, but solid backup performances. I'm still a stats newbie, so I apologize if these are wrong, but I computed per-36 averages of 11.7 points, 6.1 boards, 3.2 steals, 1 block, and only 1 TO, on a TS% of 56.6%. Small sample size, but much better scoring than before. I saw that Nivek has his PPA for the year at 48, but I wonder what it has been in the last 10 games.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#264 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:33 pm

nice to have depth but our prospects ride with the major rotation guys,
CSing, not so much.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#265 » by Nivek » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm

JAR69 wrote:It seems that Singleton has been playing well since he emerged from the doghouse 10 games ago. Not great overall stats, but solid backup performances. I'm still a stats newbie, so I apologize if these are wrong, but I computed per-36 averages of 11.7 points, 6.1 boards, 3.2 steals, 1 block, and only 1 TO, on a TS% of 56.6%. Small sample size, but much better scoring than before. I saw that Nivek has his PPA for the year at 48, but I wonder what it has been in the last 10 games.

For the last 10 games, Singleton's PPA works out to 112. Average, of course, is 100. I'd caution against making too much of it, however. There have been WILD swings in production, and that San Antonio game accounts for about 22% of his total SEASON PPA credits. Throw out that one game, and his PPA for the season is 38, and his PPA for the last 10 games is 77.

Looking at his game log, 44% of his PPA credits for the full season come from just 2 games -- the November 7 game against Boston, and the February 2 game against the Spurs.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#266 » by Nivek » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Think about this: Singleton has appeared in 40 games this season. On a per minute basis, his performance has been at or above average in only 8 of those games.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#267 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 pm

TGW wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Just get to the 30 win plateau please! They don't even have to play .500 ball (13-14). It'd be nice to see some improvement.

The improvement is there. The real question is whether it's fool's gold or not. Right now, they're winning on the backs of two 30 year old bigman and a soon-to-be free agent small forward. That's not really a recipe for long-term success. They need one of the young bigmen to show that they have a pulse, because if nene or okafor go down for an extended period, well....we saw what happened.

Wesbter
Clearly they have the inside track on keeping Webster. He loves the organization. So while, yes, he is not signed next year and anything can happen, it looks promising that he would stick around. He isn't some fringe player here. He is a core part of what is happening.

Big Man with Pulse
As for a big man with a pulse, we have two smaller bigs that are showing signs of life so I guess you are really saying, will Kevin or Ves work out. I don't see that as being critical. Here is why.

What they really need is a legit 7-0 center who can defend the post. Nene and Okafor have problem against team that have younger, quicker tall front court players. Ves is close to the right height but hasn't shown he is that guy. Not enough post offense. Kevin isn't tall enough. With Nene and Okafor starting, they need a 7-0 center back up option off the bench. That isn't Kevin. So they don't have what they need but this draft does.

So there really isn't any reason to worry so much that this is fools gold. There are ways to build this.

What it really comes down to is that we need to add that player. Thats why I keep bringing up the path of adding a first round pick so we can get Jeff Withey and use our other higher pick on Victor O, Otto P, or CJ McCullum.
hands11
Banned User

Post#268 » by hands11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 pm

So will they bring back King James. If they lose on the 27th, he should be freed up again.

Feb. 27, 2013 Round 1 (Quarter-Finals ) Xinjiang FT-Liaoning H.
http://www.asia-basket.com/team.asp?Cnt ... 369&Page=2

http://www.asia-basket.com/team.asp?Cntry=CHN&Team=4369
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#269 » by JAR69 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:23 pm

Nivek wrote:For the last 10 games, Singleton's PPA works out to 112. Average, of course, is 100. I'd caution against making too much of it, however. There have been WILD swings in production, and that San Antonio game accounts for about 22% of his total SEASON PPA credits. Throw out that one game, and his PPA for the season is 38, and his PPA for the last 10 games is 77.

Looking at his game log, 44% of his PPA credits for the full season come from just 2 games -- the November 7 game against Boston, and the February 2 game against the Spurs.

Thanks. That's about what I expected, though I didn't realize how much of his positives came from those two games. But if he can keep his production up through the end of the season (not the 112 rating, but something closer to 90), then it may mean something.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#270 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 pm

TGW wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Just get to the 30 win plateau please! They don't even have to play .500 ball (13-14). It'd be nice to see some improvement.

The improvement is there. The real question is whether it's fool's gold or not. Right now, they're winning on the backs of two 30 year old bigman and a soon-to-be free agent small forward. That's not really a recipe for long-term success. They need one of the young bigmen to show that they have a pulse, because if nene or okafor go down for an extended period, well....we saw what happened.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I don't think other teams have the mindset that - Oh, we have an injury, so this game doesn't really count.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User

Post#271 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 am

So how is everyone feeling after a big unexpected win last night ?

I'm feeling the crash. I really didn't think we would win on the road against TOR.

They were on a roll.
They were not over .500
And man we couldn't hit an open shot.
No one could hit an open shot.
Nene was playing really bad to start the game and doesn't usually do well against younger long post players.

And they still won. WOW.

And now we have DET. In Conference. Just ahead of us in the standing.

And the P watch is on again. BIG GAME.

Gotta keep an eye on the MIL game tonight.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=400278568
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#272 » by montestewart » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 am

I expected them to win.
hands11
Banned User

Post#273 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 am

nate33 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 pm

Since Wall's return (and everyone else getting healthy) In the 22 games since Wall's return, the Wizards rank 15th in ORtg, 2nd in DRtg and 8th in overall point differential. You heard that right. When healthy, the Wizards have played like the 8th best team in the league.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Re: Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread 

Post#274 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Good Afternoon Wizards Insiders,

I hope all is well and you have been enjoying the team’s great play over the last month and a half! The Wizards have won 10 of their last 12 games at Verizon Center and we are the third best team in the Eastern Conference since John Wall’s return. This is the kind of success we are anticipating for the rest of the season and especially going into next year.

I wanted to reach out today to let you know that we anticipate going on sale with new season ticket locations for the 2013-14 season in March!

Part of today's marketing email, you gotta admire Ted's relentless PR machine.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,884

Post#275 » by TGW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:05 pm

Someone should inform Ted that the season didn't start when John Wall came back from injury. It's equivalent to the Celtics saying "Hey, we're done playing regular season games with Rondo out. How about we sit out the rest of the regular season games with our winning % and go straight to the playoffs."
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#276 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 am

Right on cue, as soon as people start mentioning what we have to do to make the playoffs, the Wizards stink it up against a bad team. That is exactly why I was never sippin' any koolaid.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#277 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:42 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Right on cue, as soon as people start mentioning what we have to do to make the playoffs, the Wizards stink it up against a bad team. That is exactly why I was never sippin' any koolaid.

It's already been clearly established that the current Wizards are a top eight team. They might not have to wait until next year to make the leap to top 4 team, and in any given year some of the top four teams are practically unbeatable as they close out the season. No would argue that the 2008 Rockets of the 22-win streak were a top four team. The 1948 Washington Capitols won 20 games in a row. If the Wizards win non-stop to close out the season, they finish what, 44-38? THE EXACT SAME RECORD AS THE 77-78 TEAM!!!!

Take a sip.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#278 » by AFM » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 am

monte killing it tonight
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#279 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:02 am

montestewart wrote:
dandridge 10 wrote:Right on cue, as soon as people start mentioning what we have to do to make the playoffs, the Wizards stink it up against a bad team. That is exactly why I was never sippin' any koolaid.

It's already been clearly established that the current Wizards are a top eight team. They might not have to wait until next year to make the leap to top 4 team, and in any given year some of the top four teams are practically unbeatable as they close out the season. No would argue that the 2008 Rockets of the 22-win streak were a top four team. The 1948 Washington Capitols won 20 games in a row. If the Wizards win non-stop to close out the season, they finish what, 44-38? THE EXACT SAME RECORD AS THE 77-78 TEAM!!!!

Take a sip.

Well, since you put it that way, give me a jug on koolaid! :wink:
hands11
Banned User

Post#280 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Is it time to take a sip of the Kook-Aid again ?

Could MIK go on a historic tank ? They are 32-32 on a 0-3 run with loses to Dallas, @ Wiz, and Miami.
They are .500% at home and .500% on the road.

They play ORL today at home at 1PM. A nice L today starts the Mega Tank.

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... ukee-bucks

32-32 Currently
5-13 Remaining games
37-45 Season end

23-42 Wizards
14-3 Remaining games
37-45 Season end ( Wiz win head to head tie breaker ) :wink:

It would be a miracle but that why you drink some Kook-Aid first.

Either way, it has been a dramatic season turnaround. They made good progress. They installed a great defense. Beal arrived. Wall is arriving. They found Temple and Webster. The moved on from Dray and settled the what to do with Crawford question. They are installing a pass for offense. Its been productive.

Return to Washington Wizards