Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Kool-Aid Drinking, Season Turnaround Thread 

Post#211 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 pm

I have NO idea. :)

Oh, wait, I remember: You said the offense still stinks. I don't think so at all. I don't agree about that shooting less threes and having more turnovers are substantial. This month, they're averaging 14 turnovers. Three times they have only had 9 turnovers. They have averaged 20.3 3PAs for the season and they're averaging 18.8 now. That is solely because Wall doesn't attempt threes, and the team has shifted from Crawford to Temple as a backup. On top of that Beal has been injured some of that time. nate, I think they're shooting around the same number of threes.

I am not even arguing. Not mad in the least. I think the offense is actually pretty decent but VERY thin in depth. One injury to Nene and the whole thing gets worse. Webster out makes things a lot worse. Wall out sinks the ship.

This turnaround completely depends on the health of Nene, Wall, Webster, Ariza, Price and Beal. Any of the top three out and they are really debilitated.
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#212 » by montestewart » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 pm

I'd add Okafor to that list. Not sure who would fill the gap without his rebounding.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#213 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Looking at the team splits from December (14 games), January (16 games), and February (6 games):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/tea ... 13/splits/

FG/FGA and FG% followed by 3P/3PA and 3P%
===========================================
December: 33.6/82.4 -- 40.8% -- 6.0/18.6 -- 32.2%
January: 36.9/81.8 -- 45.1% -- 6.9/17.2 -- 40.1%
February: 37.8/81.3 -- 46.5% -- 6.7/17.0 -- 39.4%

--Three straight months the team has shot better from 2PT.
--The TEAM hits nearly 40% of threes--an excellent number.

The Wizards are shooting the ball significantly better than two months ago. The Wizards are shooting .465 this month. There are only 6 NBA teams shooting better overall. (MIA, SA, OKC, DEN, LAC, HOU)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... _2013.html

The offensive FG% is better than 75% of the league right now this month and better than 50% the last two months.

Points scored / Points allowed / Differential
=======================================
December: 88.1 / 95.4 / -7.3
January: 95.6 / 95.3/ 0.3
February: 92.8 / 88.5 / 4.3

If the Wizards were to maintain a +4.3 point differential, that would rank 6th behind OKC, SA, MIA, LAC, and NYK.

I think this team is playing great and people are selling them a little short … until they hit their next slump. When that happens I will probably tart generating John Wall trade ideas. :)

Thanks for digging up some stats. Yeah, the offense is clearly getting better. Cumulative season stats are not going to reflex it for a little while longer.

Hey, how did you get the month by month numbers ?
hands11
Banned User

Post#214 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 am

montestewart wrote:I'd add Okafor to that list. Not sure who would fill the gap without his rebounding.

Like someone else posted. First you win, then you get good. I will translate that to say, then you add depth.

The fact we are talking about depth is a quality problem.

As for rebounding. There is no clear answer regarding depth. To much is to new right now. Specially when you are talking about turning to younger players if vets go out. But I will say this.

Kevin S over the last 3 games looks to be turning another corner. First corner he turned was establishing some offense and staying on the floor longer without racking up the fouls. Now he appears to be playing more physical, rebounding better and taking less and more efficient shots.

Its nothing I would bank on, but I see something there that looks promising. He needs to do it again tonight to make more believe this is going to stick. If he can keep this up, front court depth will look better. Add a center in the draft, even better. Get the back up PG issue answer, close the barns doors baby. We having a party. :wink:
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#215 » by Dat2U » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 am

Kevin S is really turning a corner huh?

I think we can put this thread to rest now... unless were still waiting on that 15 game winning streak to happen.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#216 » by TGW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:48 am

Sadly enough, a 15 game winning streak would even get us to .500

That's pretty awful for a teams that's supposedly "turning it around".
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#217 » by dangermouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 am

This kool-aid tastes funny
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#218 » by tontoz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:31 pm

dangermouse wrote:This kool-aid tastes funny

That's because it is Kook-Aid.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#219 » by TGW » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:24 am

I think John Wall had a batch of the kook-aid before this game against the craptors...
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#220 » by AFM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 am

MAY DAY MAY DAY TOO MUCH STOLI IN THE KOOL AID

OH THE HUMANITY>...
hands11
Banned User

Post#221 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Seems with the removal of Crawford, the culture change is mostly if not completely complete. I don't t think they worked that process of removing Dray and Crawford very well and didn't get value but at least its over. Its done. Moving forward.

Here is my observation.

While we have given Ted and EG a good bit of bashing over many thing, lets see whats left and what it looks like is different about the players they are adding. What kind of players they used to add and what kind they are adding now.

Seems EG never used to give enough weight to smart/personality over the years. Gil, Crawford, McGee, Nick, Critter. I could even add D Sleez in there. Talent... yes but to much DSleez/JSteez. Nick and McGee were just :roll: Gil was mentally special. Critter pretty much insane. Bulter was solid. AJ was good but played zero defense. He would add players that had talent, but to many had questionable personalities regarding what works for a winning professional NBA basketball team. If you are trying to build a winning team, personality and smarts need to be considered higher. Sure you want talent but after identifying talent, they have to measure up and pass the personality and smarts test or you don't add them. Professionalism and character matter a ton on a winning basketball team.

But for all we can complaining about Ted, it does seem there is a different standard now. Nene, Okafor, Webster, Trevor A, Beal. All of them are in a completely different class regarding personality type. Even Temple fits in with the second grouping. I would rate all of those players with A or B grades regarding that quality.

With the removal of J Craw, it does look like the culture change pretty much complete. What remains is a group of players with no bad eggs and smart mature professionals leading them. The remaining younger players are good kids that will follow the lead of those players and the HC.

From here, you keep adding talent but only if that talent measures up to the personality and intelligence level of the new core. I have harped on this for a long long time and it finally looks like they are doing things differently.

As for young player, Beal is the standard. Some people jabbed at me because I said I was won over after watching my first interview of him but that was really all it took and I was locked in. I saw his talent in the videos. I know the position they team most needed to fill and what skills that player needed to have. It was his personality and maturity that lead me to believe he would be something special and would fit perfectly with this team that was looking to rebuild. His draft position was 11th at the time and the focus was on A Davis and MKG. I said get that Beal kid. He would be perfect. He ended up going #3 and if CHA was smart, he would have gone #2.

For vets, Nene, Okafor, and Webster are the standard. Nene for McGee was a huge huge win. He added exactly the personalty and skills they needed to add and in doing it, they removed McGee who was the opposite. He didn't have to skills they needed to anchor the D or the personality.

So I see this as a new team now. Adding Nene was the move that really started it. Okafor and Trevor A expanded it. And Beal was the perfect draft pick to seed the future. And if the trend continues, I feel pretty good that they will only add pieces that measure up to this new standard. The good news it, the draft seems to have a plenty of this type in it.

They have to find the best fit of personality, smarts, maturity, motor, need, skill.
hands11
Banned User

Post#222 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:54 am

Take a good long slow drink people. Spike it if you want. Just enjoy.

Guess what DC. You have a professional basketball team.

I said it before and I still believe it. This is the best Wiz team in 15 year.

Better then any Gil, CB, AJ team. Better then GIl and Hughes.

They are build on D. Every starter plays D which is my standard.
Nene and Okafor are better then anything since Hayes and Unseld.
Beal at SG
Wall as a true PG
Two SF that while neither is a stud, both play D and both can hit the 3. Webster is very good at it.

If they start the year with this roster, they are a sure playoff team.

Add some depth, and they can make some noise.
RealGM

Post#223 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 am

As of 1/6/2013, the Wizards were 4-28.

Since 1/7/2013, the Wizards are 13-9.

For the last six weeks, they have won at the pace of a 48-34 team.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#224 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:23 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:As of 1/6/2013, the Wizards were 4-28.

Since 1/7/2013, the Wizards are 13-9.

For the last six weeks, they have won at the pace of a 48-34 team.

And by a full season standard, where would that place them in the conference ?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,335

Post#225 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:24 am

I'm not drinking anymore. It was a nice 2-day home stand against some solid competition, but let's not act like it's some major achievement. Denver and Houston are modestly above-average West coast teams. A half-decent, .500ish team should beat them at home. Don't forget that we lost to Toronto at home just before that.

The Wizards are a competent basketball team now, but nothing special. I love the D, it keeps them in games. Unfortunately the offense is still too unreliable and Wall still isn't any good in the half court. I won't start feeling really good about this team until Wall develops a jumper and stops turning the ball over. Until then, he's nothing more than an average starter.
RealGM

Post#226 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:32 am

nate33 wrote:I'm not drinking anymore. It was a nice 2-day home stand against some solid competition, but let's not act like it's some major achievement. Denver and Houston are modestly above-average West coast teams. A half-decent, .500ish team should beat them at home. Don't forget that we lost to Toronto at home just before that.

The Wizards are a competent basketball team now, but nothing special. I love the D, it keeps them in games. Unfortunately the offense is still too unreliable and Wall still isn't any good in the half court. I won't start feeling really good about this team until Wall develops a jumper and stops turning the ball over. Until then, he's nothing more than an average starter.

They are 12-9 with Wall and 5-28 without him.

Washington, despite Wall's mistakes, just beat a team with Harden (who went off for 46 against OKC in a win) and Lin on a back-to-back. I expect the Wizards will go on the road Monday and give Toronto a great game, if they don't win.

Wall was terrible against TOR, 1-12 FGs and 7 TOs. It is good for Wall to play TOR again so soon after that game.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,335

Post#227 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:38 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm not drinking anymore. It was a nice 2-day home stand against some solid competition, but let's not act like it's some major achievement. Denver and Houston are modestly above-average West coast teams. A half-decent, .500ish team should beat them at home. Don't forget that we lost to Toronto at home just before that.

Washington, despite Wall's mistakes, just beat a team with Harden (who went off for 46 against OKC in a win) and Lin on a back-to-back.

I expect the Wizards will go on the road Monday and give Toronto a great game, if they don't win.

Yes, there is no doubt that they are MUCH better with Wall. But is that because Wall is a superstar? Or is it merely that Wall is a competent starter who replaced the worst PG rotation the league has seen in many years.

I'm not saying Wall is terrible because he isn't. I'm just saying that I wonder if Wall is really all that good yet.
RealGM

Post#228 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:42 am

Wall is not a superstar and that should be obvious by now IMO. He is a little better than competent starter, but that's as much as I will give him. Occasionally, he's not even good and he costs games in the clutch with bad decisions, bad handle, or a terrible shot.

nate, I agree with your assessment of Wall but I think there are workarounds, if not a future trade. For now, winning games is nice to me.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#229 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 am

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Washington, despite Wall's mistakes, just beat a team with Harden (who went off for 46 against OKC in a win) and Lin on a back-to-back.

I expect the Wizards will go on the road Monday and give Toronto a great game, if they don't win.

Yes, there is no doubt that they are MUCH better with Wall. But is that because Wall is a superstar? Or is it merely that Wall is a competent starter who replaced the worst PG rotation the league has seen in many years.

I'm not saying Wall is terrible because he isn't. I'm just saying that I wonder if Wall is really all that good yet.

It so much more then Wall returning but he was very important because...yes.. they had no PG.

But it Nene healthy. Okafor finding his role. Trevor A returned as well. Even Booker is back. Beal returned. And now without Crawford, it is a unified locker room of players that know their roles.

Its not just Wall.

If they can now go in the road and beat TOR then return home and get revenge on DET. That is going to be huge.

We have actually come to expect them to fight and even win against good teams. Its kind of funny that we are waiting for them to beat the non playoff teams.

Its a quality problem. I think they are about to fix it.

They still might not beat TOR on the road. But I fully expect them to beat DET at home.

Nice that this year is, the winning started earlier so it not just a late season meaningless push. This is legit. These are wins that are for real.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#230 » by Kanyewest » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:42 am

Toronto hasn't been that bad though either. They have been undefeated on the road since the Rudy Gay trade with road wins against the Pacers, Knicks, and Wizards. Wall only had 2 turnovers tonight- yes it is only 1 game but it is start. Wall's jumper has looked good over the past 2 games- but yeah he hasn't been anything special. Hopefully the Wizards can retain him for a cheaper contract not sure what his value would be if he was like the 18th pick in the draft.

Return to Washington Wizards