Post#41 » by Soup's Uncle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:45 pm

So sad. Could have been avaoided.
F Street = Wall Street
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Re: RGIII Has Torn ACL and LCL 

Post#42 » by Induveca » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:58 pm

Having an ACL repair come "undone" is quite uncommon. This is not just another ACL tear. Adrian Peterson js not a valid comparison here. This is a rerupture. Sadly, the kid will likely tear it again quickly if rushed back.

http://sportsmedresearch.blogspot.com/2 ... l.html?m=1

The above is for rerupture risk. That has now happened even with low probability. After a second reconstruction, the odds don't look good for Griffin to last very long.

Wish the best for him.
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#43 » by Induveca » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:03 pm

Higga wrote:Update 10:57: While conducting surgery to repair the torn lateral collateral ligament in Robert Griffin III’s right knee, Dr. James Andrews found that the quarterback’s anterior cruciate ligament is in relatively good condition. But a person with knowledge of the situation said the ligament “needs to be stronger.”

The person said that Griffin’s knee surgery was going well. But it wasn’t immediately clear if the ACL could be repaired, or if it would be completely replaced.

Griffin’s surgery began at 7 a.m., but there was no word on how long the procedure would take to complete.

The Redskins haven’t responded to requests for information on the surgery or the condition of Griffin’s knee, which was determined when he was examined by Andrews in Gulf Breeze, Fla., on Tuesday.

Unfortunately you can't "repair" a ligament which has partial damage and is attached to a previous repair. They'll have to sever it and reattach to bone via a new drilled hole.

Fusing the ACL to bone is the only thing which provides the needed repair strength.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#44 » by Dat2U » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:08 pm

Induveca wrote:
Higga wrote:Update 10:57: While conducting surgery to repair the torn lateral collateral ligament in Robert Griffin III’s right knee, Dr. James Andrews found that the quarterback’s anterior cruciate ligament is in relatively good condition. But a person with knowledge of the situation said the ligament “needs to be stronger.”

The person said that Griffin’s knee surgery was going well. But it wasn’t immediately clear if the ACL could be repaired, or if it would be completely replaced.

Griffin’s surgery began at 7 a.m., but there was no word on how long the procedure would take to complete.

The Redskins haven’t responded to requests for information on the surgery or the condition of Griffin’s knee, which was determined when he was examined by Andrews in Gulf Breeze, Fla., on Tuesday.

Unfortunately you can't "repair" a ligament which has partial damage and is attached to a previous repair. They'll have to sever it and reattach to bone via a new drilled hole.

Fusing the ACL to bone is the only thing which provides the needed repair strength.

:nonono: Ugh, just go jump off a bridge already
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#45 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:20 pm

While I realize medical sceeence has made amazing strides, I still find it hard to believe that the prognosis is that he could be back on opening day. The way his knee flopped in the 4th quarter was one of the saddest sights I've ever seen. Hey, I'm no doctor and rarely play one on the internet, but I'm really skeptical about him coming back as the old RG3. Hopefully there won't be a Pet Semetary type ending - we'll send him to Dr. Andrews to make his knee new again... and again. Ahhhhhhhh!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#46 » by TGW » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:40 pm

LyricalRico wrote:He needs to just be put on the 2013 PUP list right now by default. Light work in training camp, no action in preseason, and inactive for the first 6 games. I don't care what RG3 says about being "ready", he's already proven that he'll say whatever he needs to say to play even if he's injured. The team needs to same him (and the rest of us) from himself.

I tend to agree with this. Let's not rush him back, especially with a capable backup behind him.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Induveca » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:37 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Induveca wrote:

:nonono: Ugh, just go jump off a bridge already

I'm here to please. :)
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#48 » by Soup's Uncle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:38 pm

He will not be back by opening day. Everyone needs to read the article jon Keim posted on Twitter:
[url][http://washingtonexaminer.com/what-rg3-faces-in-recovery/article/2518024#.UO2uesUz_1U/url]
F Street = Wall Street
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Induveca » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:50 pm

Soup's Uncle wrote:He will not be back by opening day. Everyone needs to read the article jon Keim posted on Twitter:
[url][http://washingtonexaminer.com/what-rg3-faces-in-recovery/article/2518024#.UO2uesUz_1U/url]

Excellent read, and accurate. Sadly I think the kid's career is over as a starter. He's not playing next year, and his quick first step is not coming back.

We all saw how quickly speed/explosiveness is taken away with Arenas after multiple surgeries.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#50 » by AFM » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:56 pm

WTF?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#51 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:01 pm

http://washingtonexaminer.com/what-rg3- ... O27qTVDKop

If you just fix the LCL, then the knee will continue to be unstable. It’s a much harder rehab fixing both ligaments, and the problem we run into is … the rehab is tougher because the knee tends to get stiffer. It’s harder to get your motion back. You have to protect the knee from rotation post-op, so the rehab is slower or quite a bit slower, and what happens is instead of taking three or four months – which an LCL is probably three months and an isolated ACL might take three or four months – you combine them, and because of the problems of motion it could take a year, 14 months. It could take longer to get it rehabbed and rehabbed appropriately.

For an impatient, proud, guy like Robert Griffin III this is nearly a worse-case scenario. I do not think he knows how to take it slowly. He will think he can be back in 6-8 months and the most likely thing is he will do the same thing Gilbert did, which is do too much too soon.

When I watched the Seattle game I thought take him out because he was ineffective. I never seriously entertained his career was in jeopardy because. In retrospect that game was the equivalent of watching a modern era gladiator go out on his shield.

That really could be it for RG3.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#52 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:02 pm

^ Thanks for posting that article. I also posted it on the Skins board. Man, it's scary to read what is actually happening inside Griffin's joint.
AFM
General Manager

Post#53 » by AFM » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:08 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/wha ... story.html

Is this the worst article ever written?
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#54 » by Higga » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:25 pm

:lol: Lotta hyperbole in this thread. Here are a list of guys who suffered gruesome injuries only to return just as good as before, some even better:

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Adrian Peterson
Wes Welker
Frank Gore
Willis McGahee
Steve Smith
etc. etc.

I'm not saying he's a lock to return Week 1, but to say his career is over or anything like that is a little extreme. It wouldn't shock me if he came back next year and put up MVP numbers. If anyone could, it's RG3.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
AFM
General Manager

Post#55 » by AFM » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks, Higga. Most places are reporting a 6-8 month recovery. Even if that's optimistic, I don't see his "career as a starter as over" like Indu does.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#56 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:41 pm

Griffin's recovery will be a bit more challenging because it's a 2nd injury and because of the LCL damage. But, everything we hear about him suggests he'll be super-diligent about doing the rehab work. That was not the case with Arenas.

Also, in many ways the Arenas injury was worse because it was a cartilage injury. There are no good cartilage repairs. When there's a meniscus tear, the surgery is to remove the flap of cartilage. The only procedure that promotes healing in the cartilage is microfracture surgery. Ligaments can heal. Ligaments can be repaired.

That it's a second injury is cause for concern. We know Griffin will work hard to return. He's obviously a phenomenal athlete in peak condition. His odds are as good or better than anyone's.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#57 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:42 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:For an impatient, proud, guy like Robert Griffin III this is nearly a worse-case scenario. I do not think he knows how to take it slowly. He will think he can be back in 6-8 months and the most likely thing is he will do the same thing Gilbert did, which is do too much too soon.

Exactly. It's not the injury - it's the mentality of the guy who is injured that I'm afraid of, as well as a head coach that I don't trust at all. If it were some of the names from Higga's list and their coaches, I might feel different because I would have an expectation that the injury would be handled the right way. But not here in DC. Heck, we apparently can have the best orthopedic mind in America on our sideline and STILL make bad decisions!

I have no doubt that Griffin is going to go full bore during training camp regardless of what the doctors sayand then try to play on it in Week 1 regardless of how healthy actually is (be prepared for months of "I respect the doctors, but I know my body"), and that Shanahan will not only allow it to happen but even arrogantly defend it.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#58 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:54 pm

Cousins will be the QB opening day. You can book that.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#59 » by Higga » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:14 pm

STATEMENT FROM JAMES R. ANDREWS, M.D., ANDREWS INSTITUTE REGARDING PROCEDURE PERFORMED ON ROBERT GRIFFIN III: "Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning. He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction. We expect a full recovery and it is everybody's hope and belief that due to Robert's high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season. The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career."
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#60 » by DMVleGeND » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:00 pm

Induveca wrote:

Oh look! We have a doctor in here! :roll:
Formerly known as 7-day Dray

Return to Washington Wizards