ImageImageImageImageImage

Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Re: Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 2.0 

Post#61 » by JonathanJoseph » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 am

I dislike watching Wall play. I dislike watching him fall to the ground because he's out of control. I dislike seeing a poor shooting PG looking for his 32% long-2 jumper early in the shot clock. I dislike seeing an athlete of that caliber abused off the dribble on a frequent basis.

I think CCJ and I were the only one's really questioning Wall early last season. SVG was ripped here for similar sentiments as recently as two weeks ago. Seems like the tide is turning quickly.

IMO Wall is an average NBA player and that sucks. The curse of les Boulez.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#62 » by Upper Decker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Last off-season three PG's were extended beyond their rookie deal (Lawson, Curry, Holliday). All three are unquestionably better than Wall. Here are the terms:

Lawson 4/48
Curry 4//44
Holliday 4/46

IMO the Wizards are screwed because as a #1 pick, Wall's agent will basically say he's worth the max. Draft status will play more into his extension than his actual production. I don't think he's worth the contracts above, but he'd never resign for anything lower.

Former #1 picks either become bona-fide star's and get mega-bucks, or move on. I can't recall an instance where a #1 pick didn't meet expectations but both sides concluded it's best to remain together at a reduced rate to work things out.

The trouble is if they trade him they'll only get fifty cents on the dollar because another team won't want to be saddled with this situation. Can't trade him for equal value, can't pay him his actual worth. This conundrum is really starting to push Wall into semi-bust territory.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer

Post#63 » by JonathanJoseph » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 pm

Upper Decker wrote:Last off-season three PG's were extended beyond their rookie deal (Lawson, Curry, Holliday). All three are unquestionably better than Wall. Here are the terms:

Lawson 4/48
Curry 4//44
Holliday 4/46

IMO the Wizards are screwed because as a #1 pick, Wall's agent will basically say he's worth the max. Draft status will play more into his extension than his actual production. I don't think he's worth the contracts above, but he'd never resign for anything lower.

Former #1 picks either become bona-fide star's and get mega-bucks, or move on. I can't recall an instance where a #1 pick didn't meet expectations but both sides concluded it's best to remain together at a reduced rate to work things out.

The trouble is if they trade him they'll only get fifty cents on the dollar because another team won't want to be saddled with this situation. Can't trade him for equal value, can't pay him his actual worth. This conundrum is really starting to push Wall into semi-bust territory.

Inevitable. Wall has litte trade value as no one is willing to commit serious money to him. I was laughed at for saying I would have traded him for a lottery pick in this recent draft but it's looking more and more like getting so much as a lottery pick will be difficult.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 479

Post#64 » by Jay81 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:18 pm

ive heard people say that if we get better players..that will make a Wall a superstar. thats not what a superstar is. A superstar is great no matter what crap he has around him. Like Kyie Irving. Wall needs to improve his skill set to be a superstar...not by bringing in better players.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#65 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Jay81 wrote:ive heard people say that if we get better players..that will make a Wall a superstar. thats not what a superstar is. A superstar is great no matter what crap he has around him. Like Kyie Irving. Wall needs to improve his skill set to be a superstar...not by bringing in better players.

Yep.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#66 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 pm

I am struggling to think of many starting guards on good teams with jumpers as bad as Wall's. The only one that springs to mind is Stacy Augman on the 90s Hawks teams.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#67 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 pm

tontoz wrote:I am struggling to think of many starting guards on good teams with jumpers as bad as Wall's. The only one that springs to mind is Stacy Augman on the 90s Hawks teams.

At basketball-reference they have shot-distance/type stats for Augmon's last few years. He shot better than Wall on jumpers in several of those seasons. The first season they have numbers for, he shot .395 on jumpers, according to b-r. Wall would need to improve a TON to shoot that well.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#68 » by jivelikenice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:45 pm

Jay81 wrote:ive heard people say that if we get better players..that will make a Wall a superstar. thats not what a superstar is. A superstar is great no matter what crap he has around him. Like Kyie Irving. Wall needs to improve his skill set to be a superstar...not by bringing in better players.

Players that fit his skillset, not better players. I don't think he's a superstar but I think he can be a consistent all-star with Beal and Webster on the wings with a stretch 4 and a coach who knew what he was doing.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#69 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:47 pm

So, we've gone from "Wall makes his teammates better" to "Wall needs the right teammates and a better coach so that he can be an All-Star"?
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,865

Post#70 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:58 pm

JonathanJoseph wrote:
IMO Wall is an average NBA player and that sucks. The curse of les Boulez.

Makes you appreciate our last PG even more.....
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#71 » by jivelikenice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:03 pm

That's the issue. People are in love with Arenas who was a scorer. Scoring looks better so they mistake that for being a great pg or a great player. I loved Gil, but we won one playoff series with him. its over...time to move on.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#72 » by jivelikenice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:11 pm

Nivek wrote:So, we've gone from "Wall makes his teammates better" to "Wall needs the right teammates and a better coach so that he can be an All-Star"?

We haven't gone from that at all. Wall will make players who fit his style of play better. He'll make Beal and Webster better. On the other hand, he can't make a Jordan Crawford better because Jordan needs the ball in his hands to play at his best. That's why Jordan is a better fit as a 3rd guard on this team....

So by your logic, Wall should make any teammates better, regardless of how they play, right? So surrounding him with shooters versus non shooters shouldn't make an impact? That seems to be your logic. By that logic, the Skins and RG3 would have had the same success had they just put him under center and ran a strictly traditional offense. And Garcon's return didn't help because RG3 should have made Hankerson and Morgan better.....Wait, Pierre did help and somehow by your logic that means RG3 is not a star.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#73 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Nivek wrote:
tontoz wrote:I am struggling to think of many starting guards on good teams with jumpers as bad as Wall's. The only one that springs to mind is Stacy Augman on the 90s Hawks teams.

At basketball-reference they have shot-distance/type stats for Augmon's last few years. He shot better than Wall on jumpers in several of those seasons. The first season they have numbers for, he shot .395 on jumpers, according to b-r. Wall would need to improve a TON to shoot that well.

That looks like a pipe dream for Wall.

Augmon's last year with the Hawks was '96. His form was so bad it was a joke. Maybe he got better as he got older but i didnt follow him after he left.

I would be glad if Wall just gets to Josh Smith's shooting level. At least Smith shoots confidently even though he sucks. What really pisses me off is when Wall passes up an open shot then takes a couple of dribbles to take a contested jumper.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#74 » by payitforward » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm

jivelikenice wrote:
Nivek wrote:So, we've gone from "Wall makes his teammates better" to "Wall needs the right teammates and a better coach so that he can be an All-Star"?

...Wall will make players who fit his style of play better. He'll make Beal and Webster better.

...So by your logic, Wall should make any teammates better, regardless of how they play, right? So surrounding him with shooters versus non shooters shouldn't make an impact? That seems to be your logic. By that logic, the Skins and RG3 would have had the same success had they just put him under center and ran a strictly traditional offense. And Garcon's return didn't help because RG3 should have made Hankerson and Morgan better.....Wait, Pierre did help and somehow by your logic that means RG3 is not a star.

This is the classic BS. A player can't make another player better. Period. Certainly a point guard can try to get a player the ball where he shoots best, but if you remember the other team plays defense, so that's just not going to happen often.

Wall hasn't made Webster better, and he hasn't made Beal better. Wall needs to worry about making himself better not anyone else. And what he's really bad at -- jump shooting and turnovers -- won't become better because we one another kind of other player on our roster.

So far, into his 3d season, he hasn't been all that. Was there someone else to draft #1 in 2010? Sure, but only in retrospect. No one questions the pick itself; it's the player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#75 » by montestewart » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 pm

jivelikenice wrote:That's the issue. People are in love with Arenas who was a scorer. Scoring looks better so they mistake that for being a great pg or a great player. I loved Gil, but we won one playoff series with him. its over...time to move on.

But, it might be time to move on, again. I don't think most people here are analyzing Wall in comparison to Arenas only, or to Arenas at all. Even if Wall had a jump shot, they would be quite different PGs. Arenas was shoot first, but his ability to shoot got his teammates open looks, and he was a pretty good passer on the run and in a half court set. Maybe Arenas wasn't great, but at his peak, he was very good. If Wall would/could develop a jump shot, he could maybe have some of that.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#76 » by jivelikenice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

If we put him in position to succeed, I'd buy that, but we haven't. He has some responsibility here, but up until the 3rd quarter versus Sacramento he had been playing very well in his limited time this year. One and a half bad games, and he sucks again.

Call its bs if you want but i think its totally irrational that people don't think what you surround him with should have an impact. Yup, getting a prized investment, surround him with parts that don't fit (pre-Beal), heavy roster turnover, and a coach with a bad track record with an offensive system that nobody would use with a player like this, and then act surprised when the result is inconsistency. -Wiz message board logic.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#77 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 pm

An open jumper is an open jumper regardless of who the other players on the team are.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#78 » by montestewart » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm not disputing that Wall might look a lot better if he had a range of efficient shooters that were good at getting open, so there were always at least two on the floor with him, and preferably three, w/ a stretch PF, and additional good shooting options off the bench, allowing the coach to feed in rested legs and hot hands. That would make any PG look better.

But a better jump shot would make Wall better no matter who was on the floor. He looked good coming back because he was rested and he's still very fast and a good passer on the break. But he still needs a shot.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer

Post#79 » by JonathanJoseph » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:01 am

A good PG will make any random 4 other players at the local YMCA better players.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#80 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:07 am

But but but... his production of assists is *not* what's holding John Wall back.

He has no 3, doesn't shoot jumpers well, and turns it over at a high rate. It was the same at Kentucky. A different cast of characters around him won't help those problems.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards