ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards @ Nuggets - 1/18/13 - 9:00 PM EST Nene vs McGee

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Re: Wizards @ Nuggets - 1/18/13 - 9:00 PM EST Nene vs McGee 

Post#301 » by Dat2U » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:05 pm

barelyawake wrote:We better sell high on our players this offseason and not be happy with what we got. This isnt a finished product. We still need a high draft pick or a trade for a star

This is the only part of your post I agree with. i'm not seeing the talent on the roster your seeing.

And frankly the whole "learning to win" thing is a bunch a bull to me.

IMO the best way to learn how to win is to acquire the talent to do so consistently. We don't have the talent yet IMO, so learning how to win is going to be an exercise in futility.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#302 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm

barelyawake wrote:Mentality is something statistics are awful at capturing/predicting -- whether personal development or team unity. Of course, part of what Wall brings to the table is the thought that winning is possible. When a team of players who haven't developed chemistry play together, they need to learn they can win. And when that team is based around a star pg whose job is to create spacing for a group who can't create their own shot, then it's hard to believe you can win. Ball movement is awful. Spacing is horrible. Every move gets blocked. Desperation sets in.

We better sell high on our players this offseason and not be happy with what we got. This isnt a finished product. We still need a high draft pick or a trade for a star (like Cousins). But, this is the team I've been expecting when I said next year we will have the best collection of talent we have had in decades. Hope people are changing their minds on some of the moves we have made. Vets do matter to a young, developing team.

Dat2U wrote:
barelyawake wrote:We better sell high on our players this offseason and not be happy with what we got. This isnt a finished product. We still need a high draft pick or a trade for a star

This is the only part of your post I agree with. i'm not seeing the talent on the roster your seeing.

And frankly the whole "learning to win" thing is a bunch a bull to me.

IMO the best way to learn how to win is to acquire the talent to do so consistently. We don't have the talent yet IMO, so learning how to win is going to be an exercise in futility.

doclinkin is fond of this quote: "First you win, then you get good." For the life of me I don't know who said it first. I did find a nifty link that applied it to the (then) 4-3 Redskins. http://www.bgobsession.com/blog.php?b=165

Dat, I agree with ba on this. OKC was a really bad team that had talent but they needed time to get better, get good, and now they are great. The personnel the Thunder had were very young 3 years ago. The acquisition of Kendrick Perkins didn't make them better nor did Jeff Green leaving. They matured and got great. The difference is the level of talent was better to begin with in OKC.

I have posted many positive comments about Vesely in the Vesely thread and about Seraphin in the Seraphin thread. I have cited the last 15 games of last season. Five losses followed by and 8-2 finish. All of which Wall, Seraphin, and Vesely started. It wasn't a feel good finish and it wasn't teams resting stars for the playoffs that let them win 8 of 10. It was young, emerging talent, and as barelyawake pointed out, guys developed a feel for playing with one another. I posted the positives because many people looked at 4-28 as the Wizards record as proof positive Vesely is to blame and Seraphin sucks.

Beal is growing into a confident player. Crawford thinks the same but is clearly improving (I still want him traded but he's grown by leaps this season). Vesely plays terribly EXCEPT when he's on the court with Seraphin and Wall--and he plays with confidence then.

I am all for upgrading talent! By all means, there's a good deal for Cousins that can be made. I'm just saying right now I would leave the roster alone. Wait and see how this team plays. Get good trade offers for someone who would obviously make a huge difference but don't overpay. I would even try and make sure Vesely is showing his best play and try and get value IF he's traded. I don't even want him traded right now.

Singleton, Crawford, and mostly because of injury history and upcoming contract, Booker would be the chips I would bargain or trade with. I STILL would look at Wall trades that rob other teams of Fort Knox. There's always an offer too good to refuse, but right now that deal would have to be so good I don't think another team will come forth with a good enough offer for John Wall.

I think the wins are legit and not Fool's Gold. I am content with players whose stock will rise. No one says rest on you laurels but at the same time don't sell these players short, either. ba, the mentality is improving to where they expect to win. I won't be surprised if John Wall can expect to make a three one day, or if Vesely can expect to approach 65-70% on FTs sooner than later. Things are changing for the better.

This is the time having veterans like Okafor and Nene with Webster and Ariza really can provide young guys with good mentoring. Don't be in such a hurry to disrupt a good thing.
Bye bye Beal.
Kaner
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#303 » by Kaner » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 pm

It's gonna be fun to watch Wall and Beal develop off of eachother in the coming years, they compliment each other's game almost perfectly... I can't wait to see Irving+Waiters vs Wall+Beal after they've all had at least a full season to mesh. Hopefully in the future, we can have some more exciting playoff series against eachother, cheers
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#304 » by payitforward » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:38 am

I have no idea what "learning to win" or "learning how to win" or any similar phrase means. I also don't see how you "win first and then get good." Good play wins games; nothing else does. If your players play better you win more games. So we're winning because our players are playing better.

Okafor and Ariza are producing at their career levels -- they are solid journeymen in the 2d half of their career and don't help build a title contender, but they can help you be an average (or "respectable" or "mediocre" -- whatever word you prefer) team, and that's what they're doing.

Bradley Beal is on a tear -- 24 of 37 the last 3 games, including 11-18 from 3 point range.

In his 4 games back, despite bad shooting, John Wall is producing overall at a higher level than last season -- he's doing other things very well.

Lets see how the rest of the road trip goes, but right now these guys are playing very well. So we're winning more games. Cool!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#305 » by barelyawake » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:27 am

These are robots playing basketball games, after all. Good robots play good basketball. Bad robots play bad basketball. If good robots develop to play good basketball, it's because they are good robots. It has nothing to do with confidence, coaching, system or work ethic. Good robots develop into good basketball players because they are good robots. And if they don't develop into good basketball players, it's because they were bad robots. I swear sometimes you stat guys kill me.

If a guy needs space to get his shot off, and starts consistently getting that space (thus regularly making his shots), his confidence level goes up. Thus, his shot improves. Thus, he starts "playing good basketball." There is a reason our players are "playing good basketball."
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

EeRe: Wizards @ Nuggets - 1/18/13 - 9:00 PM EST Nene vs McG 

Post#306 » by montestewart » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 am

barelyawake wrote: I swear sometimes you stat guys kill me.

They are bad robots.

Return to Washington Wizards